Nascar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Nascar

Anyone watch? I was really into it for several years, but lost interest once Dale Earnhardt Jr. quit being competitive, then retired. Trying to get some interest in it again, but the drivers are not very charismatic in recent years.

I am kind of following Alex Bowman, Bubba Wallace and Austin Dillon in the Daytona 500 today.

Last edited by adkindo on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Same...

But I'm going to get back into this season between nba nhl and golf. I some times forget about NASCAR but it's pretty cool to have it in the background and then watch the last 50 laps or so.

The m&m's car has been my favorite for awhile so it's going well right now.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

no...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Same...

But I'm going to get back into this season between nba nhl and golf. I some times forget about NASCAR but it's pretty cool to have it in the background and then watch the last 50 laps or so.

if a person can get interested, it is fairly easy to be a fan. There is basically one event each week....it last a few hours, then it is over. You do not have to watch other games to see the competition because everyone is at the one event.....and yeah, if you are short on time, 80%+ of the enjoyment comes in the last stage of the race.

I have always thought he biggest drawback of being a Nascar fan...or a fan of a specific team compared to other sports, is your team can wreck on lap 6, and the race is over for you. The Lakers can have a terrible first half, or even lose a player to injury....but they still have a chance in the game....or in golf, a player can have a bad first Round but come back. In Nascar, a wrecked car is usually the end of the day.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm. I thought Nascar had Left the building. Good to see that there is still some fan interest Left. You are correct that it was better before Dale Left. But on the real, it's not as good as GTO, GTU, and Formula One, Right?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

What I always liked about it was that everyone drives and these are the best drivers in the world. Sometime if you never played a certain sport you can't relate to it as much.

But everyone knows what it feels like to drive fast on a freeway and these guys are going two to three times as fast with 40 cars surrounding them
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

NASCAR at its peak was a decade ago....its pretty much surviving on fumes right now. The owners tried to sell the series and tracks but nobody wanted it for the price they were asking for.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
NASCAR at its peak was a decade ago....its pretty much surviving on fumes right now. The owners tried to sell the series and tracks but nobody wanted it for the price they were asking for.

I think part of it has been the drivers. The sport was built on these hard scrabble knuckleheads with personalities going over 200 MPH and were either brave enough or dumb enough to try crazy things in those cars. Today, it is mostly young guys that grew up in more affluent families and really do not show any personality.

To climb to the cup series, a driver has probably been in the sport since their early teens at least, and it costs crazy money to support a kid/teen in the sport. It is ironic, because it has this perception of being this "southern" sport that mostly involves less affluent and less intellectual people....but it is probably the most affluent sport in America.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Anyone watch? I was really into it for several years, but lost interest once Dale Earnhardt Jr. quit being competitive, then retired. Trying to get some interest in it again, but the drivers are not very charismatic in recent years.

I am kind of following Alex Bowman, Bubba Wallace and Austin Dillon in the Daytona 500 today.

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Same...

Kinda the same. I was an Earnhardt fan from about 1994 until I watched him die--I kept hearing about this Earnhardt fella on ESPN Sports Center, going for his 7th championship, but that name was so pervasive that it seemed like I knew him already. The first race I watched he went from something like 20 cars back to the front in a matter of a few laps, and I was hooked. He was/is to many in the South what Muhammad Ali was/is to the world. I then took to little E, I guess because of the name and he was such a likeable guy, but he just didn't have the moxie, or talent, or the magic of his father. I used to watch it religiously, but care little now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I’m watching Dayton right now. I have always been a Jimmy Johnson fan, I used to live next door to his aunt.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

wow, that was a crazy ending....that wreck with 20+ laps left was nasty!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Kinda the same. I was an Earnhardt fan from about 1994 until I watched him die--I kept hearing about this Earnhardt fella on ESPN Sports Center, going for his 7th championship, but that name was so pervasive that it seemed like I knew him already. The first race I watched he went from something like 20 cars back to the front in a matter of a few laps, and I was hooked. He was/is to many in the South what Muhammad Ali was/is to the world. I then took to little E, I guess because of the name and he was such a likeable guy, but he just didn't have the moxie, or talent, or the magic of his father. I used to watch it religiously, but care little now.

I could have basically wrote your experience with Nascar word for word as my experience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: