Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 735, 736, 737 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Bottom line, it doesn't matter what I want. I have no say in the matter.

It's what Magic and Pelinka want. And in the end, if they are not sold on Luke, it doesn't matter if they fire him today, tomorrow or at the end of the season.

That's my point. It makes no difference when they decide to fire him.

Not sure what's so hard to understand. If he's going to get fired, it's not important that he stays for the last 26 games.

If we make it to the playoffs. And make it out of the 1st round.
I think Magic, Rob, and Lebron will keep Luke on board.
Unless a better coach becomes available this offseason.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

It's what Magic and Pelinka want. And in the end, if they are not sold on Luke, it doesn't matter if they fire him today, tomorrow or at the end of the season.

Not sure what's so hard to understand. If he's going to get fired, it's not important that he stays for the last 26 games.

Cool. Hope we make it to the playoffs and out of the 1st round then.

That probably means taking out Golden State in the 1st rd.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

If Luke is fired, then the Lakers had better not consider Jeff Van Gundy. That bald headed idiot is the biggest Lakers-hater in the sports media, bar none.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I don't expect people on LG to be as good as NBA GMs at selecting coaches. But the fact that nobody comes to mind shows, there aren't many good options.

There are accomplished European coaches. And looking at Lebron's history, that might not work.
There are accomplished college coaches. But most college coaches don't transition well to the NBA. Brad Stevens is the exception, not the rule.
There are re-treads. Ex-NBA coaches with past success. But most of those coaches are out of work because their past successes were overshadowed by greater, more recent failures.

But answer this question though, if Luke were to quit tomorrow to go coach at Arizona, would you panic?

Would Magic and Pelinka?

Same old LG - "OMG we suck" - fire the coach and get our next savior -- oh the new coach is not doing a good enough job (regardless of whatever circumstances) -- fire him and find our next savior -- rinse and repeat

Last I remember, no one on LG's ever had a say in the matter. Every single coach fired/hired was done so without any input from LG.

Last I remember - the grass almost is never greener on the other side. I'd also add - I think Magic and Rob can see them pitch forks and flames you holding up down in the LBC ---

ok.

But why are you mad at LG when no one at LG is making any decisions? Shouldn't you be directing your anger at the people that actually make the decisions?

Not mad LBCG - It's just funny how that's the first thing posters and fans go to! I've seen enough coaches to know that there aint no savior out there. There's only a few coaches that move the needle. The thing you imo you want to guard against is coaches that lose you games. I don't think LW does that to us. So why punt? If we make playoffs and Luke is horrible - he'll be gone. It's the same for players as it is for coaches - they'll usually cut/fire themselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Cool. Hope we make it to the playoffs and out of the 1st round then.

That probably means taking out Golden State in the 1st rd.

If we get that 7th seed. I can see us beating Denver. Only a 1/2 game separates 7th and 8th currently.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I don't expect people on LG to be as good as NBA GMs at selecting coaches. But the fact that nobody comes to mind shows, there aren't many good options.

There are accomplished European coaches. And looking at Lebron's history, that might not work.
There are accomplished college coaches. But most college coaches don't transition well to the NBA. Brad Stevens is the exception, not the rule.
There are re-treads. Ex-NBA coaches with past success. But most of those coaches are out of work because their past successes were overshadowed by greater, more recent failures.

But answer this question though, if Luke were to quit tomorrow to go coach at Arizona, would you panic?

Would Magic and Pelinka?

Same old LG - "OMG we suck" - fire the coach and get our next savior -- oh the new coach is not doing a good enough job (regardless of whatever circumstances) -- fire him and find our next savior -- rinse and repeat

Last I remember, no one on LG's ever had a say in the matter. Every single coach fired/hired was done so without any input from LG.

Last I remember - the grass almost is never greener on the other side. I'd also add - I think Magic and Rob can see them pitch forks and flames you holding up down in the LBC ---

ok.

But why are you mad at LG when no one at LG is making any decisions? Shouldn't you be directing your anger at the people that actually make the decisions?

Not mad LBCG - It's just funny how that's the first thing posters and fans go to! I've seen enough coaches to know that there aint no savior out there. There's only a few coaches that move the needle. The thing you imo you want to guard against is coaches that lose you games. I don't think LW does that to us. So why punt? If we make playoffs and Luke is horrible - he'll be gone. It's the same for players as it is for coaches - they'll usually cut/fire themselves.

Yeah, but if that's something that needs to be "guarded against" then that advice should be directed to the front office and not LG. Because all these coaching changes were made by the front office.

LG has no say in the matter believe it or not.

Your concerns would be better directed at emailing Magic Johnson himself or Rob Pelinka. They can probably help explain whether they're thinking about keeping or canning LW.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm confused - I thought you wanted LW fired? As for me, I don't because I don't see the point - so why would I email Magic. Anyways - your right - let's do something more productive and come up with a prop bet on when Ty Lue becomes our next coach -- LOL
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
I'm confused - I thought you wanted LW fired? As for me, I don't because I don't see the point - so why would I email Magic. Anyways - your right - let's do something more productive and come up with a prop bet on when Ty Lue becomes our next coach -- LOL

Well your concerns about having to "guard against" a coaching change that was directed towards LG would be better served to be emailed to Magic since Magic makes the decisions. LG makes no decisions regarding coaching changes. No need to convince anyone on LG to "guard against" anything. We have no say in the matter.

I joined the conversation when it was about --> only 5-10 coaches in the league being able to get us to a 28-28 record.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:

Suit yourself.

I joined the conversation when it was about only 5-10 coaches in the league being able to get us to a 28-28 record.

Well ---- I think most coaches are mediocre at best. Good coaches are probably able to get you that .5 record. That's why good players are so important in the NBA. If this was RamsGround or ChargersGround (or RaidersGround) - I'd have a totally different opinion.

--oh man you edited your post after I replied - no fair
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Have Luke/Shaw finish the season. Miraculously finish 7th seed. Pull a first round upset vs Denver. Best case scenario we meet Warriors in the WCF. Realistically we will face OKC/POR in the 2nd round and we lose in 7.

Fire Luke/Shaw right after the playoffs. Hire Mark Jackson and Crew.

Offer a last chance package (Zo, Ingram, Hart, Future Picks to Pelicans for AD/Hill after Celtics refuse to trade Tatum/Etc for AD.

At least ONE ring in the years 2020-2022 or I will ban myself for LIFE.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject:

krisobe wrote:
Have Luke/Shaw finish the season. Miraculously finish 7th seed. Pull a first round upset vs Denver. Best case scenario we meet Warriors in the WCF. Realistically we will face OKC/POR in the 2nd round and we lose in 7.

Offer a last chance package (Zo, Ingram, Hart, Future Picks to Pelicans for AD/Hill after Celtics refuse to trade Tatum/Etc for AD.

I can see this team getting to the 6th seed, which makes it more plausible to get to the second round. Playoff LeBron is scary because he’s not (bleep) around at that point. I think you’d see an other worldly type of performance from him vs anyone but the Warriors. I think he even gets you to the WCF.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
krisobe wrote:

I can see this team getting to the 6th seed, which makes it more plausible to get to the second round. Playoff LeBron is scary because he’s not (bleep) around at that point. I think you’d see an other worldly type of performance from him vs anyone but the Warriors. I think he even gets you to the WCF.

6th seed right now is Utah, 8 games above .500.

Our high point this season was 20-14, 6 games above .500

We'd have to play some serious bb the rest of the way to get 8 games above .500.

We have 26 games left. We'd have to go 17-9 and even then, we'd need Utah to play .500 ball the rest of the way.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think Lebron may not be able to dominate quite as much as in past postseasons, especially throughout a whole 7 game series. He'll still be very good, though.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
If Luke is fired, then the Lakers had better not consider Jeff Van Gundy. That bald headed idiot is the biggest Lakers-hater in the sports media, bar none.

Pretty sure he's retired. Going on two decades since he coached.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
troy wrote:

Not sure how JVG is a Lakers hater.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1095366687010877440?s=21

Smh
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Smh

Look at that list... Lord have mercy on us
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
manlisten wrote:
troy wrote:

Not sure how JVG is a Lakers hater.

Trust me, I've heard his comments, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned him as a laker hater. And he absolutely went off on Magic and the Lakers after that AD fiasco.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Smh

According to SAS, Magic has his eyes on one particular coach who’s currently employed as a HC.

Let’s hope because that list is trash.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Smh

According to SAS, Magic has his eyes on one particular coach who’s currently employed as a HC.

That's Maginka's idea of good coaches? Wow we are in for something
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Kevin McHale anyone?
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
Kevin McHale anyone?

No, he bleeds green...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject:

RobinInHood wrote:
Kevin McHale anyone?

I'd rather sign Luke to a 25-year contract
RobinInHood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
RobinInHood wrote:
Kevin McHale anyone?

No, he bleeds green...

I know I was being halv serious, but...take away that green and I’d like the idea of him coaching this team.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
danzag wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Smh

Former teammate Larry Drew?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 735, 736, 737 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 736 of 818
Jump to: