Report: Maggette accused of rape in Duke case

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Report: Maggette accused of rape in Duke case

Quote:
The woman at the center of Duke's investigation into a 1999 sexual assault told friends that Corey Maggette is the basketball player who she says raped her, according to a report by the New York Times.

The lawyer for Meredith Watson said in a statement Friday that Watson had been raped by a former Duke basketball player but did not identify the player. The Times reported Monday that both a childhood friend of Watson's, and Facebook messages Watson exchanged with another friend, identified the player in question as Maggette, who went on to play 14 years in the NBA after attending Duke for one year.

Maggette denied the allegations in a statement to the Times.

"It has only been through media accounts and a statement from Meredith Watson's lawyer that I first learned or heard of anything about these sexual assault allegations," he said. "I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25976301/ex-player-corey-maggette-named-duke-rape-case-report-says
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject:

when the Meredith Watson allegations came out against Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax and an unnamed Duke player, I knew it would be a matter of time before the name was out there. That was a really good Duke roster, but when I looked at it, just had a weird feeling that it would be Maggette or Avery.

The interesting part is she claims to have notified Duke Administration, and they pressured her to not make her claims public. I have zero doubt that Coach K was aware.....but Duke will never admit he did.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
when the Meredith Watson allegations came out against Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax and an unnamed Duke player, I knew it would be a matter of time before the name was out there. That was a really good Duke roster, but when I looked at it, just had a weird feeling that it would be Maggette or Avery.

The interesting part is she claims to have notified Duke Administration, and they pressured her to not make her claims public. I have zero doubt that Coach K was aware.....but Duke will never admit he did.

Coach K about to get the Joe Paterno treatment? Time to vacate all those wins...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Is Maggette considered a prominent player? I always just thought of him as that guy on the Clippers who played no defense and refused to pass but was really good at jumping into people to draw fouls.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject:

There goes another Clipper commentator.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Is Maggette considered a prominent player? I always just thought of him as that guy on the Clippers who played no defense and refused to pass but was really good at jumping into people to draw fouls.

Your assessment is accurate. But he’s currently the color commentator for the Clippers, and he’s still a big enough name that everyone who watched basketball in the 2000s most likely knows who he is. Not to mention, he was a part of a talented Duke team alongside Elton Brand, both of whom became lottery picks.

So yeah, never a star player. But still a decent role player who only recently retired.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Tough break for Ralph Lawler. I actually thought Maggette was doing a great job as his analyst. After having to suffer through Bruce Bowen last year, I figured Maggette was a quality fill-in for Ralph's last year.

As for Maggette, kind of surprised to hear it. I know public persona is always just a perception (see DFish), but I truly thought Maggette was one of the good guys. Who knows, maybe it's all made up by this lady, but regardless, it's not a good look.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: