OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 853, 854, 855 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Would have been pretty sweet with PG on the Lakers.

Lonzo
PG
Lebron
Portis
McGee

Would have been sweet indeed.

Not that I don't like we got LeBron, but I was one that thought we'd be better off having PG than him because his timeline fit our young core better. Not in a million years would I foresee him having this insane season and making that an absolute truth.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
epak wrote:

Lonzo
PG
Lebron
Portis
McGee

Not that I don't like we got LeBron, but I was one that thought we'd be better off having PG than him because his timeline fit our young core better. Not in a million years would I foresee him having this insane season and making that an absolute truth.

Nor would you have foreseen PG choosing to stay with OKC rather than joining his supposed “favorite team” the Lakers.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
epak wrote:

Lonzo
PG
Lebron
Portis
McGee

Nor would you have foreseen PG choosing to stay with OKC rather than joining his supposed “favorite team” the Lakers.

That "favorite team" and "only will re-sign with the Lakers" stuff is a tactic players and their agents use and leak to the media so that if they do get traded, the team that does it doesn't trade the barn for them.

Easiest way to ensure that recognition and make it go viral, is drop the Lakers name into it.

We've been used as leverage for 3 free agency periods now.
nzahir
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Again... why do some of you want to get into a bidding war?

We dodged the bullet... and some of you still want Magic to go back and do the same thing?

The one thing that might stop him from doing Klutch's plan... is if enough fans tell him they think it's not a great idea.

If half are supporting losing the core and draft picks... I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen.

We can't beat Philly with a year older LBJ, AD and ringchasers

Probably won't be able to beat GSW if they keep most of their players.

OKC will be stronger with Roberson back... they have developed a really nice defensive unit.

Denver will be stronger adding IT and Michael Porter Jr next year.

Dallas will be decent combining Porzingis to Doncic.

Morey will be wheeling and dealing to improve Houston.

We need to focus on getting the elite free agent

The AD trade should only be a last resort... and even then I think it only works if we can swing a third agent.

Old LBJ plus AD plus no bench and no draft picks = five to ten years of gradual decline... with no horizon in sight.

So what happens if we miss out on all the top guys?

You want us to max a guy like Middleton, Tobias, or Boogie?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:15 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
epak wrote:

Lonzo
PG
Lebron
Portis
McGee

Actually I was never too confident he'd sign with us. It was always evident from the start that he was happy in OKC, and I also thought if it came down to leaving OKC, he could see Philly as a better fit (and it was).
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

We dodged the bullet... and some of you still want Magic to go back and do the same thing?

The one thing that might stop him from doing Klutch's plan... is if enough fans tell him they think it's not a great idea.

If half are supporting losing the core and draft picks... I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen.

OKC will be stronger with Roberson back... they have developed a really nice defensive unit.

The AD trade should only be a last resort... and even then I think it only works if we can swing a third agent.

Old LBJ plus AD plus no bench and no draft picks = five to ten years of gradual decline... with no horizon in sight.

is this some sort of sonnet?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 am    Post subject:

nzahir wrote:

THAT is why you develop properly. Had the Lakers done that, they wouldn't be in such a worried position of "what if we miss out on all the top guys" because the youngsters they invested in would be putting up the stats of "those guys" you mentioned as the 'insteads' we'd have to max, except we'd have a cap advantage because we'd have their Bird's rights.

The problem is when people see developing young talent as weakness, or giving up, Randle and Russell would be available to help LeBron right now as a result of being believed in and developing while they were here and the time they spent working on their games.

But the perception if you say "Develop your young talent so you aren't left with nothing in case 'getting a max every year' doesn't work out in your favor" as a bad thing. It's not, it's a smart thing, and when your talent develops into something, it's a fantastic bonus and what you should strive for. And if you can add a max TO a team with developed young talent about to break out, that's even better.

The new FO forgot half the equation that we were supposed to benefit from after those years of development, so now we are where we are now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject:

Mario Hezonja

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1095121696116350976
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject:

Current guesses for the top free agents:

KD
Was convinced he was leaving GS since last summer. Thought we had a real shot at him a couple of months ago, but now all the tea leaves are pointing to the Knicks.

Kawhi
It's looking to me like the Clippers, with Toronto a less likely second choice.

Kyrie
I believe he will leave the Celtics. To me, if you know you're staying, you issue a statement during the AD hoopla over the past couple of weeks where you affirm that you are likely to re-sign, at the very least. You do this because you want a guy like AD on your team next season, if you're staying. His comments, instead, hurt their position. You don't do that if you are planning to stay. As a guy from New Jersey, coupled with his comments on leading young dudes, I think the Knicks are probably the favorite for his services, and he gets to play with KD (and a possible top-4 draft pick, or with another veteran star obtained via trade). I think the Lakers could be next on his list.

Klay
With KD out of the picture for GS, I believe they retain him for whatever it takes and he's always said his preference is to stay there. I believe him.

Butler
I think the two most likely landing spots are Philly and us. We're going to find out what truly matters most to him. If it's just money and if they offer a full max, well, he's not leaving. But I have my doubts as to whether they want to even offer it. I don't think they gave up what they gave up to get Harris only to let him walk, so I think they will pay him and he stays. Will they really commit to paying all 3 of Embiid/Harris/Butler huge money, knowing that Simmons is due a max deal in the summer of 2020? Beyond that, Butler seems like an alpha type of guy to me who craves both the spotlight and a big role. Perhaps he'll feel like he doesn't have enough of a role on a team like that, and that being LeBron's clear #2 would be more appealing in LA. If we got Butler and didn't trade Lonzo, the perimeter defensive potential we would have would be off the charts. The Knicks also make sense for him if they don't get Kyrie. The Clippers could be a conceivable spot too, even if they already had Kawhi.

Kemba
He has a chance to be a Hall of Famer playing his entire career in Charlotte, and getting a full 5-year max will most likely entice him to stay. Not too many guys can say they were a Hall of Famer playing exclusively for one franchise, and he'll be royalty in Charlotte forever if he stays. The fact that they never traded him strongly suggests that this is a marriage that will continue.

Vucevic
I figured that it was a foregone conclusion that he would be traded a few weeks ago. And if they don't end up re-signing him, losing him for nothing is going to prove to be idiotic. And hey, the Magic have made a lot of dumb personnel decisions in the recent past. But in this case, even though they have Mo Bamba, they may feel like Vuc is just entering his prime with an effective coach, and they might give him a huge offer that makes him feel wanted and I think he will end up staying. (Perhaps they consider trading Bamba for a point guard or another asset.) If Vucevic does leave, Dallas could make some sense as yet another skilled European player on that squad; it would be a fun team for sure. The same would apply if he signed with Sacramento, and they'll have the cap space.

Harris
Again, I have him pegged to re-sign in Philly now; I just don't think you give up what amounts to three 1st round picks (including the recently-drafted Landry Shamet) for a rental. I think he is in their plans, possibly ahead of Butler, as there have been reports of friction there with him (imagine that).

Middleton
Given the success of the Bucks this season, given the desire to keep Giannis happy, and given his own comments, it seems like a great bet that Middleton will re-sign in Milwaukee.

Cousins
This is an interesting one. If we struck out on all of our targets and an AD trade, I could see there being mutual interest if Cousins looks good for the rest of the year (he looks pretty solid to me so far physically). Having said that, I think we're going to end up with either Butler, Kyrie, or an AD trade, so I don't think it comes to this. Dallas is a team that makes sense, and so do the Clippers, actually. Possibly Brooklyn, though they like Jarrett Allen.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

KD
Was convinced he was leaving GS since last summer. Thought we had a real shot at him a couple of months ago, but now all the tea leaves are pointing to the Knicks. I think he is leaving and it will be Knicks probably. Don't see him as a Laker at all.

Kawhi
I think we have a shoot here. He is not going to the Clippers if he doesn't have a guarantee of another ASFA.

Kyrie
I believe he will leave the Celtics. To me, if you know you're staying, you issue a statement during the AD hoopla over the past couple of weeks where you affirm that you are likely to re-sign, at the very least. You do this because you want a guy like AD on your team next season, if you're staying. His comments, instead, hurt their position. You don't do that if you are planning to stay. As a guy from New Jersey, coupled with his comments on leading young dudes, I think the Knicks are probably the favorite for his services, and he gets to play with KD (and a possible top-4 draft pick, or with another veteran star obtained via trade). I think the Lakers could be next on his list.
IMO he is going to the Knicks or Lakers. It will be his only choice I think.

Klay
With KD out of the picture for GS, I believe they retain him for whatever it takes and he's always said his preference is to stay there. I believe him.
He will stay in GSW. For me it is not even a debate.

Butler
I think the two most likely landing spots are Philly and us. We're going to find out what truly matters most to him. If it's just money and if they offer a full max, well, he's not leaving. But I have my doubts as to whether they want to even offer it. I don't think they gave up what they gave up to get Harris only to let him walk, so I think they will pay him and he stays. Will they really commit to paying all 3 of Embiid/Harris/Butler huge money, knowing that Simmons is due a max deal in the summer of 2020? Beyond that, Butler seems like an alpha type of guy to me who craves both the spotlight and a big role. Perhaps he'll feel like he doesn't have enough of a role on a team like that, and that being LeBron's clear #2 would be more appealing in LA. If we got Butler and didn't trade Lonzo, the perimeter defensive potential we would have would be off the charts. The Knicks also make sense for him if they don't get Kyrie. The Clippers could be a conceivable spot too, even if they already had Kawhi.
He will sign with the team who offers the most money. Butler is all about the money.

Kemba
He has a chance to be a Hall of Famer playing his entire career in Charlotte, and getting a full 5-year max will most likely entice him to stay. Not too many guys can say they were a Hall of Famer playing exclusively for one franchise, and he'll be royalty in Charlotte forever if he stays. The fact that they never traded him strongly suggests that this is a marriage that will continue.
He will take the max and stay in CHA.

Vucevic
I figured that it was a foregone conclusion that he would be traded a few weeks ago. And if they don't end up re-signing him, losing him for nothing is going to prove to be idiotic. And hey, the Magic have made a lot of dumb personnel decisions in the recent past. But in this case, even though they have Mo Bamba, they may feel like Vuc is just entering his prime with an effective coach, and they might give him a huge offer that makes him feel wanted and I think he will end up staying. (Perhaps they consider trading Bamba for a point guard or another asset.) If Vucevic does leave, Dallas could make some sense as yet another skilled European player on that squad; it would be a fun team for sure. The same would apply if he signed with Sacramento, and they'll have the cap space.
Who knows! I just do not want to see him in Laker uniform. Dont like the guy and his style of play.

Harris
Again, I have him pegged to re-sign in Philly now; I just don't think you give up what amounts to three 1st round picks (including the recently-drafted Landry Shamet) for a rental. I think he is in their plans, possibly ahead of Butler, as there have been reports of friction there with him (imagine that).
Will stay in Philly. Simple as that.

Middleton
Given the success of the Bucks this season, given the desire to keep Giannis happy, and given his own comments, it seems like a great bet that Middleton will re-sign in Milwaukee.
He is staying with Bucks.

Cousins
This is an interesting one. If we struck out on all of our targets and an AD trade, I could see there being mutual interest if Cousins looks good for the rest of the year (he looks pretty solid to me so far physically). Having said that, I think we're going to end up with either Butler, Kyrie, or an AD trade, so I don't think it comes to this. Dallas is a team that makes sense, and so do the Clippers, actually. Possibly Brooklyn, though they like Jarrett Allen.
I think he is definitely an option for us and we will eventually end up signing him. What contract I do not know but I will not be surprised with any outcome.

Just some of my opinions.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject:

Buter is going to leave. I do not want no part of him. Even if we do not get one of the top guys (I think we will), we could still sign two quality players (for example Cousins and Dinwiddle). I still think we will end up with Kyrie. His age is a perfect fit for us. After his potential signing, do we double down with a trade for AD or not? That would be a nice problem to have. If we end up with Kyrie and AD, we would be set for the next 7 or 8 years.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

KD
Was convinced he was leaving GS since last summer. Thought we had a real shot at him a couple of months ago, but now all the tea leaves are pointing to the Knicks.

Kawhi

Kyrie

Klay

Butler

Kemba

Vucevic

Harris

Middleton

Cousins

I would agree 100% with you if free agency started today, this is good analysis.

But I think playoffs will dictate a lot of these guys destinies.

Is Kyrie or Jimmy leaving if their teams make the Finals? Same for Kawhi.

If KD wins another ring in dominant fashion, could he feel like he needs one more? What if they lose and he gets blamed somehow, would that make him stay?

Specially with the eastern guys, I don't see them leaving if their teams go to distance. And one of them will do exactly that. All 4 top teams in the East have key FAs, and one of them will be playing in june. Let's hope for our sake that it's Middleton

If Celtics lose in the 2nd round and it looks bad, Kyrie is out of the door. For Kawhi it doesn't take much, he doesn't look really invested there, so I can see him staying only if it gets emotional in the playoffs and they make a run good enough to convince him.

Sixers are paying every penny they need to keep that team together if they get to the finals, but if it doesn't work I can definitely see one of Jimmy or Harris leaving (I'd bet on Jimmy), and also I don't think they'd make much of an effort to keep both if they don't go far.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Buter is going to leave. I do not want no part of him. Even if we do not get one of the top guys (I think we will), we could still sign two quality players (for example Cousins and Dinwiddle). I still think we will end up with Kyrie. His age is a perfect fit for us. After his potential signing, do we double down with a trade for AD or not? That would be a nice problem to have. If we end up with Kyrie and AD, we would be set for the next 7 or 8 years.

Dinwiddie signed a 3 year extension earlier in the season.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject:

I agree with AirKobe8 that a lot can still happen. In both of the extensive takes above, one common denominator is currently we project to be runners up for a lot of these guys.

Worst case could be fixing your weakest position with Vujevic or Cousins, and being ready as the kids either carry you or are traded for the next disgruntled star. One thing is for sure, Kyrie to NY is the big domino. If he is cemented there, it's easier to pull the 2nd star and they may have the goods to land AD. If he doesn't go there, LA must pounce on him to start the chain themselves even if they cant pull off the AD trade.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Dinwiddie signed a 3 year extension earlier in the season.

Thanks!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject:

I'm more concerned with the now...making the play-offs now...any update on Markieff Morris would be greatly appreciated...or whoever else we're thinking of bringing in for the last spot.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject:

nzahir wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Tobias & Vucevic would be a nice fit as far as needs go.

Lonzo
Tobias
Ingram
LeBron
Vucevic

Kuz AKA Lou Williams large sized

Length, scoring, size, shooting
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

This (bleep) is laughable.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Tobias & Vucevic would be a nice fit as far as needs go.

Lonzo
Tobias
Ingram
LeBron
Vucevic

Kuz AKA Lou Williams large sized

Length, scoring, size, shooting

Harris and Vucavic might fit as far as needs but pretty sure they are not both getting signed.

Aren't both expected to be well over $20m each? And the Lakers have at best $36M. Correct? Wishful thinking that they both give significant discounts.

I keep seeing multiple suggestions of "ring chasers" and vets accepting very low salaries next year. I will believe it when I see it. Most accepting discounts will be marginal players at best. Other then a few exceptions every once in a while, you usually get what you pay for.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

It's going to hurt me when Jerry West outmaneuvers us this summer. Cleared up so much cap space. Lying low, nothing in the media. He knows what Jeannie, Magic think like, and how to counter, and he knows the Warriors front office. He plays chess, while we seem to be playing checkers badly with every move and non-move endlessly discussed in the media, and probably in other GM offices. He can't wait to stick it to the guys who wouldn't hire him. We should have treated him like I'd like to think we think of KD for free agency: hire him just to take him away as an asset from the other team.
If Kawhi and KD end up on the Clippers, it'd twist the knife.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
It's going to hurt me when Jerry West outmaneuvers us this summer. Cleared up so much cap space. Lying low, nothing in the media. He knows what Jeannie, Magic think like, and how to counter, and he knows the Warriors front office. He plays chess, while we seem to be playing checkers badly with every move and non-move endlessly discussed in the media, and probably in other GM offices. He can't wait to stick it to the guys who wouldn't hire him. We should have treated him like I'd like to think we think of KD for free agency: hire him just to take him away as an asset from the other team.
If Kawhi and KD end up on the Clippers, it'd twist the knife.

only thing is lakers current FO was way ahead of old jerry west in creating 2 max spots.

if the old regime of mitch/jim didnt had those bad contracts of deng/mozgov we would have been in similar state only 2 years ahead of everybody else
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject:

Denver is adding IT to its team next year?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah you're right... although they would seemingly have the inside track on signing him for a good price.

If that's the only point you could nitpick out my post... I'll consider it a success then.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah you're right... although they would seemingly have the inside track on signing him for a good price.

If that's the only point you could nitpick out my post... I'll consider it a success then.

I didn't read the rest of your post. Need to use paragraphs!!!

But I don't know if he returns to Denver. He wants the $ and Denver doesn't offer that.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I didn't read the rest of your post. Need to use paragraphs!!!

But I don't know if he returns to Denver. He wants the $ and Denver doesn't offer that.

As an attorney you should be used to reading double spaces.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 853, 854, 855 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 854 of 8560
Jump to: