Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Everybody mad at Magic and Rob Lowe for trading DLO.
I'm mad at our past FO for signing Mozgov to one of the worst contracts ever. So we had to give up such a valuable asset just to get rid of that useless 7 footer.

Yet Brooklyn didn’t

Exactly. False narratives stay getting thrown around to justify the premature move by maginka.

It does matter that Moz was traded one year later. The time left on the contract matters. They also sent D12 and a pair of 2nds.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I'm mad at our past FO for signing Mozgov to one of the worst contracts ever. So we had to give up such a valuable asset just to get rid of that useless 7 footer.

Yet Brooklyn didn’t

Exactly. False narratives stay getting thrown around to justify the premature move by maginka.

It does matter that Moz was traded one year later. The time left on the contract matters. They also sent D12 and a pair of 2nds.

Also no matter what nobody is helping the Lakers.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yet Brooklyn didn’t

It would have made sense if George had signed. But that's been one of my issues all along. Putting yourself in a position to do something is nice, but it counts for zip if you can't seal the deal. I can accept that Magic wanted to swing for the fences, but as of now we basically traded D'Angelo Russell for Josh Hart. Magic gets another swing this summer. Maybe he'll hit this one out of the park.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject:

I just don't wanna see any of ya'll back when we're back in the finals. Just stay offline and watch Dlo and Randle highlights on repeat while we enjoy another parade
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Bucks owner was fined 25K..

Thank God.

Magic's comments on Giannis were a lot less "tampery" but he got fined more (twice as much I believe). It's still ridiculous IMO.

In any case, I think Magic and Pelinka need to just lay low for a while. "No comment."

It could have been progressive punishment for Magic since he had some issues in the past when he a honorary vice-president. Maybe there wasn't a fine back then, but they did remove the vice-president title at his request so what he said as a private citizen wouldn't have blowback as something the Lakers organization thought/wanted.

Lakers remove Magic Johnson's ceremonial vice president title (June 2016)

Quote:

Johnson sold his ownership stake in the Lakers in 2010. He has been known to tweet about other players, particularly free agents, which did not always sit well with others around the league.

I do think that it was ”progressive punishment”, but not because of anything having to do with comments he made prior to becoming President of Basketball Ops. They were privately warned after what he said on Kimmel, but then they got caught tampering with George even after that. That, I think, is why the fine fine was so hefty for the Giannis remark.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Giannis fine was soon after a hefty fine for tampering with PG 13.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I just don't wanna see any of ya'll back when we're back in the finals.

Just stay offline and watch Dlo and Randle highlights on repeat while we enjoy another parade

"Who cares what bad decisions our FO makes? We're gonna get two max's and then be back in the Finals and all your complaints will mean nothing! Revenge will be quick and it will be swift."

Lakers Fans circa 2012-2015

"Alright, that doesn't work. Good to see our FO rebuilding around our young roster.

Lakers Fans for half the 2016-2017 Season

"Who cares what bad decisions our FO makes? We're gonna get two max's and then be back in the Finals and all your complaints will mean nothing! Revenge will be quick and it will be swift."

Lakers Fans 2018-2019 Season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
trablos wrote:

Just stay offline and watch Dlo and Randle highlights on repeat while we enjoy another parade

"Alright, that doesn't work. Good to see our FO rebuilding around our young roster.

Comparing Kobe's last years and after an achilles tear to today's circumstances
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
pokoy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Bucks owner was fined 25K..

Thank God.

Magic's comments on Giannis were a lot less "tampery" but he got fined more (twice as much I believe). It's still ridiculous IMO.

In any case, I think Magic and Pelinka need to just lay low for a while. "No comment."

It could have been progressive punishment for Magic since he had some issues in the past when he a honorary vice-president. Maybe there wasn't a fine back then, but they did remove the vice-president title at his request so what he said as a private citizen wouldn't have blowback as something the Lakers organization thought/wanted.

Lakers remove Magic Johnson's ceremonial vice president title (June 2016)

Quote:

Johnson sold his ownership stake in the Lakers in 2010. He has been known to tweet about other players, particularly free agents, which did not always sit well with others around the league.

I do think that it was ”progressive punishment”, but not because of anything having to do with comments he made prior to becoming President of Basketball Ops. They were privately warned after what he said on Kimmel, but then they got caught tampering with George even after that. That, I think, is why the fine fine was so hefty for the Giannis remark.

I can live with that POV as well. The main takeaway is that Magic continues to draw attention with what he says and the punishment/discipline will likely escalate to force a change in behavior.

From the Constitution & Bylaws...

Quote:

(a) Each Member must provide and require in every
contract with any of its Owners, Officers, Managers, Coaches or other
employees that they shall be bound and governed by the Constitution
and By-Laws, rules, regulations, resolutions and agreements of the
Association, as they may be modified or amended from time to time.
Each Member, at the direction of the Board of Governors or the
Commissioner, as the case may be, shall take such action as the Board
or Commissioner may direct in order to effectuate the purposes of this
Article.

The writeup on tampering is in the Constitution & Bylaws. It is on the wordy side, but I can post it here if you like. The contract Magic is working under has to stipulate that he has to follow the Constitution & Bylaws, so the tampering issue is something that he should have already been aware of.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
MJST wrote:
trablos wrote:

Comparing Kobe's last years and after an achilles tear to today's circumstances

Same sense of denial when it comes to bad FO decisions.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject:

LG savior zubac tonight 3/1/1 n 15mins and -35

Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Elton Brand called Magic Johnson Monday afternoon to apologize for insinuating that the Lakers had called —unprompted— to ask permission for Johnson to speak with Sixers forward Ben Simmons in a radio interview Monday morning, league sources told ESPN.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1095171900517474304

wtf these clowns
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
Quote:
Elton Brand called Magic Johnson Monday afternoon to apologize for insinuating that the Lakers had called —unprompted— to ask permission for Johnson to speak with Sixers forward Ben Simmons in a radio interview Monday morning, league sources told ESPN.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1095171900517474304

wtf these clowns

So many of these other orgs are full of haters that want to make us look bad.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25977151/elton-brand-apologized-magic-johnson-insinuating-lakers-ben-simmons-call-was-unprompted
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Brand isn’t the only one owing Magic an apology in regards to Ben Simmons, right LG?
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Sounds like Brand isn’t the only one owing Magic an apology in regards to Ben Simmons, right LG?

Not really, considering this wouldn't have been an issue to begin with if Magic hadn't brought it up in the first place.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject:

I remember reading the Lakers had the choice of sending Deng or Moz to the Nets. As dumb as the trade was back then, I still don't understand why the didn't unload Deng instead of Moz.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Not really, considering this wouldn't have been an issue to begin with if Magic hadn't brought it up in the first place.

The world’s biggest mouth: Magic Johnson

I want him Jeanie and rob gone. Unfortunately it will take a lot of time or more blunders
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Funny how many of those who thought Mitch was the worst are the ones who think Magic is bulletproof and some wonder executive.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject:

What I don't get is why did the NBA feel the need to put out some big statement that they were investigating the Lakers for tampering. It doesn't seem like the Sixers requested the investigation.

They obviously could have made a few calls and they would have known the whole story rather quickly. The statement wasn't needed.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
What I don't get is why did the NBA feel the need to put out some big statement that they were investigating the Lakers for tampering. It doesn't seem like the Sixers requested the investigation.

They obviously could have made a few calls and they would have known the whole story rather quickly. The statement wasn't needed.

They probably got calls and emails from other teams after the Magic comments.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

exactly. I don't understand why he keeps doing this.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

exactly. I don't understand why he keeps doing this.

His ego won't let him be quiet.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
LG savior zubac tonight 3/1/1 n 15mins and -35

b-b-b-b-but
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Yet Brooklyn didn’t

It would have made sense if George had signed. But that's been one of my issues all along. Putting yourself in a position to do something is nice, but it counts for zip if you can't seal the deal. I can accept that Magic wanted to swing for the fences, but as of now we basically traded D'Angelo Russell for Josh Hart. Magic gets another swing this summer. Maybe he'll hit this one out of the park.

The Knicks traded Porzingis to create that 2nd max slot. It's a huge recruiting tool. Even if the 2nd player doesn't sign, you don't know how big of an impact it had to get the 1st FA to sign.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject:

eureca wrote:

They are not investigating the part of the story that's out. They're investigating if there's been any contact between Magic/Lakers and Ben Simmons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 87 of 174
Jump to: