Will the Lakers Regret Trading Promising Center Ivica Zubac?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Will the Lakers Regret Trading Promising Center Ivica Zubac?

Hey All,

Latest at @BleacherReport Will the Lakers Regret Trading Promising Center Ivica Zubac? - I don't see the upside in this move ...
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820313-will-the-lakers-regret-trading-promising-center-ivica-zubac

Cheers,

EP
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm wondering who called who first. I'm guessing Magic called first because I don't see how the Clippers would have known they had a shot at Zubac for Muscala.

Magic, "Yo Clips. you guys like Zubac?"

Clips, "Uh yeah, he seems to be up and coming. What will it take?"

Magic, "We need shooters."

Clips, "Just an idea, not saying this is our offer, but Mike Muscala hasn't unpacked his bags yet and he shot 40% from three, but that was last...."

Magic interrupts, "DEAL!"

Clips, "What, seriously?"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

What I understand is they traded him to rid themselves of Beasley because he and Luke were at odds. If there was a riff between Luke and Beasley I think the way to go would have been to waive him. The Clippers waived him, were overjoyed to get Zu. He has so much upside and he's only 21. I see him becoming a better than average center. From my perch I think the Pelicans played Magic. A Trumpism "We'll see what happens."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I am now truly worried that Pelinka is just a yes man. Unless he's an idiot too, I thought he was the bright one and will be the level headed one between the two. But we in trouble if he's just a yes man.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Has there ever been a NBA deal where the audience was given play by play updates on the various proposals? LOL! Real discussions with intent of doing business simply gets done and you just get a BREAKING NEWS announcement like Porzinghis. Our front office look like clowns right now. First leak, shame on you. Second leak, shame on me, and that's where you hang up the phone and nip it in the bud. But there was a 3rd, 4th, 5th leak. LOL! And then Magic recently confirmed Pelcians didn't deal in good faith, a confirmation that all the leaks were true and that he Pelinka are clowns. He needed to say, "We didn't offer what was reported." He didn't say that. Magic is too inexperience and transparent for this job.
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject:

If Zubac still dreams of being a Laker he can sign back with them when his time comes.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't get it either! Zu was starting caliber! This one and cutting Randle are perplexing!!!

I know he is Restricted - but let it play out for god sake.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject:

If BI is the only pre-Magic & Pelinka player, it doesn't bode well for him.
lakermann44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I Did not like the move trading a young promising big man
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

0-1 with 1 point, 1 assist, 3 turnovers and a team worst -21 in 11 minutes starting against towns...I think we are gonna be ok without zu

Last edited by Fortysixn2 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Just a garbage trade. A complete F grade.

A young 7 footer, soft hands, solid screens, blocks shots, hits over 80% from the FT line, blah, blah, blah.... for a tall guy who can hit 38% from 3pt line.

Damn...really??? You couldn't have picked up a stretch 5 with a lesser pieces???

DLO heading to his first All Star Game.

Randle showing strong production game in and game out.

Taking Ball when you could have picked Tatum, Fox or Mitchell.

Now giving away Zubac.

Ridiculous moves.

Thank GOODNESS the Pelicans said NO to Magic gutting the whole team, giving away future draft picks and taking on bad contracts.

The FO has shown serious incompetence. Makes me wonder if they are more interested in big names (to continue filling seats) than winning games.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Lol crickets
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully Zubac's good play over the last several weeks turns out to be fool's gold so that Magic and Pelinka will be vindicated for making this trade.

1-2 shooting, 3 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 4 TOs in 15 minutes of play tonight for Zubac. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for him.
MrClutch44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Hopefully Zubac's good play over the last several weeks turns out to be fool's gold so that Magic and Pelinka will be vindicated for making this trade.

1-2 shooting, 3 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist and 4 TOs in 15 minutes of play tonight for Zubac. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for him.

With all due respect but this is a garbage take. Zu’s body as a Laker isn’t even cold yet we’re wishing the worst for him. For what? So that a trade that we made wouldn’t seem so bad? The kid played his heart out for us for 3 years and really developed his game. We all cheered for him. Let’s wish him great success. I know you didn’t wish Zu ill well but c’mon life is much bigger than a stupid trade.

Just my two cents.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
#DeathMetalMatters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
0-1 with 1 point, 1 assist, 3 turnovers and a team worst -21 in 11 minutes starting against towns...I think we are gonna be ok without zu

I agree. I'll add that he just doesn't fit on the Lakers as currently constructed. He put up decent #s, but he was never going to help put us over the top of anything. I think we sold too low, but I'm not surprised we sold.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject:

We will see how Muscala will fare.

I trust we never regretted trading away Marc Gasol. Although you could think he would have been a good cornerstone for the Lakers. But we got back an even better talent.

Muscala vs Zubac is still a coin tossed in the air. So far looks more like a sideways move, but it has been just one game.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:

Zubac has competed well in the games he's matched up with Towns, but let's make it all about one game.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:

I trust we never regretted trading away Marc Gasol. Although you could think he would have been a good cornerstone for the Lakers. But we got back an even better talent.

They could have offered Bynum for Pau in '08 and the Lakers would have had both Gasols for years (and still have Marc). Call it hindsight, but considering the Lakers effectively got nothing for what was in '12 the most valuable trade asset in the league (Bynum), even though things more or less worked out it could easily have been better.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject:

This is the worst trade ever.

Really... it's not like Zubac is a transcendental talent... but they gave him away for a bad shooter and defender.

This whole "oooohhh but Muscala can shoot is just insane".

He was hitting 1.4 3s on 34% in Philly. Don't you think Mo Wagner can hit that if given the same shots? (Mo is 41% on 0.6 3pm).

Moreover, is that the best you can get for Zubac?

It doesn't even get us any cap space, Zubac is a RFA with a cap hit of less than 2 million. He's the perfect guy to have as FA in a summer you need to play the waiting game with the big stars.

You want a roster spot? Waive Beasley, who you wanted gone anyway (and the Clippers did).

I don't think Zubac will be a star or anything, this trade just makes me so mad because it shows how short sighted our FO is.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Shaber wrote:

They could have offered Bynum for Pau in '08 and the Lakers would have had both Gasols for years (and still have Marc). Call it hindsight, but considering the Lakers effectively got nothing for what was in '12 the most valuable trade asset in the league (Bynum), even though things more or less worked out it could easily have been better.

Yeah but back then Marc was still in Europe and he was 24 years old. There are good odds Lakers would have never brought him to the NBA and he could've stayed there or gone to another situation that did not develop him like Memphis did. There is no Marc Gasol as we came to know him without Memphis.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject:

Yes they will regret it...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject:

Randle, DLo, Nance, JC, T.Bryant, Svi and now Zubac... the price to get a 2nd max, TBD til this summer
srekal2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject:

I don’t usually post. This was a bad trade. I hope for the best for Zubac and I hope Muscala helps us in the playoffs.

I hope this is not indicative of Magic’s and Pelinka’s trade IQ.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Love Zu but he isn’t that good yet. We can see what happened against Towns
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Randle, DLo, Nance, JC, T.Bryant, Svi and now Zubac... the price to get a 2nd max, TBD til this summer

I'm not thrilled with the moves the Lakers have made. But when I look at that list of names (with the salaries they command or will command next year), I'm not pining to have them back.

If we could have Lebron and all those guys plus Kuz, Ball and Ingram (taking away most of the rent-a-vets), I don't see a team that goes deep into the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: