Bucks owner should get fined for tampering - Anthony Davis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:
Are teams allowed to consult each other on player transactions?

I'm not sure, but they shouldn't be allowed to.

What was described as going on during the negotiations with the Pelicans sounds like collusion on the part of other teams. Nearly every NBA insider was saying that other team presidents and GM were telling Dell Demps not to cave in to Davis' trade demand and not send him to the Lakers.

Why isn't that tampering to prevent another team from making a deal?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
Magic being investigated for tampering with Ben Simmons.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1095061358847115266?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

It's his own talkative, "I love the spotlight and everything about me" self.

I can't blame the NBA for investigating Magic. He doesn't seem to know or care about the rules.

Magic did nothing wrong here. Ben Simmons reached out to him

The hate around here for Magic is enough to make me consider giving up on this site. It is sickening.

Ben Simmons approached the Lakers FO, not Magic directly, and the message was then relayed to Magic. The Philly front office was contacted to ask if they would sign off on Ben Simmons working with Magic. Apparently they said no. The press asked him about it and he told them what happened.

I don't have any idea why the league is investigating him. If they find him guilty again, I am going on the offensive against the league as this is utter BS to the highest degree.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1095061358847115266?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

I can't blame the NBA for investigating Magic. He doesn't seem to know or care about the rules.

No one would have known had Magic not opened his mouth, which is the problem in regards to the rules.

Not really true, this happened about a month ago and Magic never brought it up. THE PRESS DID!!! Someone leaked it to the press, wonder who did that?? Cough cough philly cough cough. Just another situation where the press causes the problem and then exacerbates it to get the Lakers in the hot seat.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

What was described as going on during the negotiations with the Pelicans sounds like collusion on the part of other teams. Nearly every NBA insider was saying that other team presidents and GM were telling Dell Demps not to cave in to Davis' trade demand and not send him to the Lakers.

I agree with this!
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

It's not defined in the tampering rules as a violation. Thanks to Donald Sterling the NBA now publicly releases the constitution and by-laws.

link: https://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/files/221035054-nba-constitution-and-by-laws.pdf
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

In the NBA, tampering refers to a team trying to induce a player who is under contract to another team to play for them.

Any GM can contact any other GM and give his opinion on trades.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

No one would have known had Magic not opened his mouth, which is the problem in regards to the rules.

Not really true, this happened about a month ago and Magic never brought it up. THE PRESS DID!!! Someone leaked it to the press, wonder who did that?? Cough cough philly cough cough. Just another situation where the press causes the problem and then exacerbates it to get the Lakers in the hot seat.

This is not true.

Magic is the one that brought it up. All the press did was ask Magic if he enjoyed watching Ben Simmons play (which is still a messed up question to ask someone that's already been warned about tampering). Magic ALL ON HIS OWN brought up Simmons people reaching out to him for tips on playing Point Guard.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

All I heard was the Stephen Smith report that Demps called Popovich and Popovich told him not to cave into the Lakers.

First, it should be noted that Smith himself said he didn't know if this was true.

Second, if it is true, it's not clear what this means. It's been suggested Pop could have meant "Just because AD wants to go to the Lakers, don't trade him there unless you like the deal."

I didn't see any other reports of any other GM or team president telling Demps something like this.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

It's not defined in the tampering rules as a violation. Thanks to Donald Sterling the NBA now publicly releases the constitution and by-laws.

link: https://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/files/221035054-nba-constitution-and-by-laws.pdf

By-laws should be amended:

Any team representative who dissuades or attempts to dissuade another team's General Manager from doing transactional business with a third team shall on being charged with such tampering, be given an opportunity to answer such charges after due notice and the Commissioner shall have the power to decide whether or not the charges have been sustained; in the event his decision is that the charges have been sustained, then the Commissioner shall have the power to suspend such individual for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $50,000, or inflict both such suspension or fine.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject:

Unless a team is losing draft picks, cash fines are rather pointless to worry about.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

https://youtu.be/ry-mhb9sRDQ?t=311

The press literally said "Do you enjoy watching Ben Simmons play?"

Of all the possible answers, how does it turn into "well he reached out to me to see if he can get together this summer" if Magic didn't foolishly bring it up. He could have said any generic answer like yes because he reminds me of myself or his skill set/BBIQ is off the charts and no one would have said thing.

The worst part of that video is Magic had a brief moment to THINK about it when answering the reporter. The fact he came up with that answer says a lot about his thought process
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

Of all the possible answers, how does it turn into "well he reached out to me to see if he can get together this summer" if Magic didn't foolishly bring it up. He could have said any generic answer like yes because he reminds me of myself or his skill set/BBIQ is off the charts and no one would have said thing.

The worst part of that video is Magic had a brief moment to THINK about it when answering the reporter. The fact he came up with that answer says a lot about his thought process

In the interview with 97.5 The Fanatic on Monday morning, Brand said, “Rob Pelinka called me and said that Ben wanted to talk to Hall of Famers after the season, Magic was on the list. He asked for authorization … I said no.” He did not mention in that interview that someone from the Sixers, at the urging of one of Simmons’ brothers, had contacted Pelinka first, which is what prompted his call to Brand. – via ESPN

Is this one tampering? Butler reaching out and actually linked up with another team owner, I mean an NBA legend? Don't recall a tampering charges against non-Lakers MJ

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heres-what-jimmy-butler-learned-from-michael-jordan/

Chicago Bulls forward Jimmy Butler famously hung out with the Greatest, Michael Jordan this summer, and was even felled by Jordan in a shooting contest.

Last edited by governator on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kobedagoat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

Any team representative who dissuades or attempts to dissuade another team's General Manager from doing transactional business with a third team shall on being charged with such tampering, be given an opportunity to answer such charges after due notice and the Commissioner shall have the power to decide whether or not the charges have been sustained; in the event his decision is that the charges have been sustained, then the Commissioner shall have the power to suspend such individual for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $50,000, or inflict both such suspension or fine.

That is dumb and just bias from our side. How much you want to bet we dissuaded other offers for Pau Gasol? A rule like the above you might as well outlaw trading or negotiating in general.

Yes we got burned in this instance and it seems every deal, other GMs want us to pay the "Lakers tax" but let's use our heads here....
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

In the interview with 97.5 The Fanatic on Monday morning, Brand said, “Rob Pelinka called me and said that Ben wanted to talk to Hall of Famers after the season, Magic was on the list. He asked for authorization … I said no.” He did not mention in that interview that someone from the Sixers, at the urging of one of Simmons’ brothers, had contacted Pelinka first, which is what prompted his call to Brand. – via ESPN

Is this one tampering? Butler reaching out and actually linked up with another team owner, I mean an NBA legend? Don't recall a tampering charges against non-Lakers MJ

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/heres-what-jimmy-butler-learned-from-michael-jordan/

Chicago Bulls forward Jimmy Butler famously hung out with the Greatest, Michael Jordan this summer, and was even felled by Jordan in a shooting contest.

Whether it was tampering or not isn't the problem. It's the fact Magic made it a tampering issue by bringing it up.

No one even looks into the situation had magic use his brain cells for more than a minute.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
governator wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

Whether it was tampering or not isn't the problem. It's the fact Magic made it a tampering issue by bringing it up.

No one even looks into the situation had magic use his brain cells for more than a minute.

I think context and intent should be taken into consideration. I think in context of the reporters question, Magic's intent was to compliment Ben's work ethic and desire to improve by reaching out to other great players.

My preference would've been for him to just reply "I can't comment on that", seeing as how he was just fined for giving a compliment to Giannis.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

WRONG, what it says is he's an honest person. maybe too honest for a shady business like the nba. as you fans see it.

Truth is, he probably added the extra commentary because he may have thought the media was fishing for it more or less trying to get him to say nothing, then hit him with a gotcha question like "but you have talked to ben right? you guys are supposed to workout right?" so instead of him waiting for it. he jumped ahead and explained how it happened. which was 100% above board assuming thats how it actually went down. now was that reporter fishing? we will never know. did anyone know about them two working out before that moment other than philly, ben, and magic/lakers? maybe. would philly have leaked that at some point in time with a different narrative? maybe. I'll tell you this. he wont be getting fined for that today nor in the future because he told all on his own and nothing he said was tampering.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
governator wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

I think context and intent should be taken into consideration. I think in context of the reporters question, Magic's intent was to compliment Ben's work ethic and desire to improve by reaching out to other great players.

My preference would've been for him to just reply "I can't comment on that", seeing as how he was just fined for giving a compliment to Giannis.
you are correct in your assessment of why magic said it most likely. in addition he could also be talking to his own young guys like "see...this is how you do it. go find you a vet legend to help you. you dont know all the answers, you can't you're a young up and comer."
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Wino wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Sorry if already posted.

How do you know what has gone on about this behind the scenes? Perhaps the FO felt like they needed to bring this up to the press so that it could not backfire on them by someone else bringing it up out of context??

Why do you want to see the negative?? There are a ton of reasons he could have said that, on top of it, this is a short clip, you have no idea what other people are saying around him. You just hate the Lakers and Magic and are hoping and wishing for the worst.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Quote:
The NBA has decided Magic Johnson did not tamper, confirming details I reported yesterday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1095395058923331585
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Here we go again.

Quote:
The NBA has decided Magic Johnson did not tamper, confirming details I reported yesterday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/1095395058923331585

Thanks 32 !!!

Not Tampering but someone is really working over time to discredit the Laker
organization; and it's not Magic. I think Magic has been naive and has a lot to learn
about what he can and not say in his current position hopefully it grows on him or
he tips his hat to someone who gets that business side.

Whatever happens, he is a Laker glory and I'll not be bashing him any time soon.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:08 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Even taking into context and intent, the flow comes off as unusual since it was the first thing that came off his mouth after a long pause while never mentioning work ethic beforehand. Such a statement would normally follow along the lines of "Yes I enjoy Ben Simmons play. He shows great BBIQ, work ethic and desire to improve. I know this because..."

It shows a lack of savyness steming from both Magic's personality and lack of experience. While a "I can't comment" statement is perfect, simply talking about Simmon's game without mentioning the meeting would come off as less monotone.

In the end, intent is meaningless if the results are terrible. Jim Buss had good intents but failed in the results. This isn't Magic's first time so he needs to be held more accountable if his statements are going to randomly lead to investigations.

splashmtn wrote:

WRONG, what it says is he's an honest person. maybe too honest for a shady business like the nba. as you fans see it.

Truth is, he probably added the extra commentary because he may have thought the media was fishing for it more or less trying to get him to say nothing, then hit him with a gotcha question like "but you have talked to ben right? you guys are supposed to workout right?" so instead of him waiting for it. he jumped ahead and explained how it happened. which was 100% above board assuming thats how it actually went down. now was that reporter fishing? we will never know. did anyone know about them two working out before that moment other than philly, ben, and magic/lakers? maybe. would philly have leaked that at some point in time with a different narrative? maybe. I'll tell you this. he wont be getting fined for that today nor in the future because he told all on his own and nothing he said was tampering.

WRONG it's shows what a fool Magic can be at times.

Yes he may have not been fined but it still doesn't justify putting himself in the situation given his history. We'll he learn from it? Maybe when it finally costs the team a draft pick LOL.

Wino wrote:

How do you know what has gone on about this behind the scenes? Perhaps the FO felt like they needed to bring this up to the press so that it could not backfire on them by someone else bringing it up out of context??

Why do you want to see the negative?? There are a ton of reasons he could have said that, on top of it, this is a short clip, you have no idea what other people are saying around him. You just hate the Lakers and Magic and are hoping and wishing for the worst.

I might not know enough what goes behind the scenes but I do know enough to show you were WRONG in regards to saying it was press who brought if up first while providing video evidence.

So the Lakers needed to bring it up because of a potential backfire later on? They would bring up an unrelated event that happened 1 month ago in a meeting designed to improve team morale. Do you know how stupid that sounds? It would show a lack of organization/professionalism which then again wouldn't be suprising given Magic can't keep his mouth shut.

Why do we see the negative? Given it can result in the team losing draft picks, why shouldn't we be concerned? Sure we're lucky the NBA didn't find any tampering but that might not be the case the next time.

Liking the Lakers and hating Magic aren't mutually exclusive. Did not supporting Jim Buss meant you hate the Lakers? No because it was justifiable to criticize his moves in the same vein as Magic's recent actions.

Holding Magic accountable isn't wishing for the worst or not being a fan.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

By this definition, anytime GMs are making competing trade offers for the same player they are tampering. After all, they are trying to persuade a GM to make the trade with them and dissuade the GM from making the trade with someone else.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:
l4kerz wrote:

By this definition, anytime GMs are making competing trade offers for the same player they are tampering. After all, they are trying to persuade a GM to make the trade with them and dissuade the GM from making the trade with someone else.

Well first of all I was being facetious.... but just for the sake of argument making a trade offer is a lot different than team representatives exerting pressure on a GM and directly saying "don't give in the Player Xs trade demand and trade him to the Lakers" which I suspect representatives of other teams may have done without making their own trade offer. And if they said anything like "if you give in to his demands we aren't going to do any business with you if the future because you are adversely affecting our ability to compete", well stuff like that can happen, and something like that would definitely be harmful to the league

kobedagoat wrote:

That is dumb and just bias from our side. How much you want to bet we dissuaded other offers for Pau Gasol? A rule like the above you might as well outlaw trading or negotiating in general.

Yes we got burned in this instance and it seems every deal, other GMs want us to pay the "Lakers tax" but let's use our heads here....

See above.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: