Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 734, 735, 736 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

So you're saying Luke's better than 20-25 other coaches in the league? That's patting him on the back for going 8-14. That's saying 8-14 is an accomplishment 20-25 of the coaches in the league can't achieve.

No it isn't. Those are literally two different things.

We've played more than 22 games this year. And the reason why we're less than 3 games out of the playoffs despite being the most devastated team in the league by injury is because we overachieved when we were healthy.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

It doesn't have to be a simultaneous process where you need to have the replacement lined up before you can fire the current coach. You can do it in 2 steps. Fire the coach, get an interim coach, then search for the new coach in the offseason.

Who is the miracle coach? Give me a name please.

BTW. Most Nuggets fans would laugh you out of the room for bringing up Shaw.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

So you're saying Luke's better than 20-25 other coaches in the league? That's patting him on the back for going 8-14. That's saying 8-14 is an accomplishment 20-25 of the coaches in the league can't achieve.

No it isn't. Those are literally two different things.

We've played more than 22 games this year. And the reason why we're less than 3 games out of the playoffs despite being the most devastated team in the league by injury is because we overachieved when we were healthy.

yeah, not sure what you're saying then.

First you say ONLY 5-10 coaches can do better. That means 20-25 CAN NOT do better, correct?

That means Luke is better than 20-25 coaches in the league?

2nd, you blame it on injuries, specially LeBron. Well, I'm using the 22 games since LeBron got injured. Before LeBron got injured, we were 20-14. After he got injured, we went 8-14.

So, which one do you want to talk about?

That only 5-10 coaches can go 28-28? That only 5-10 coaches can go 20-14 while LeBron was healthy? Or, only 5-10 coaches can go 8-14 when LeBron went down?

Which record would you like to talk about?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

First you say ONLY 5-10 coaches can do better. That means 20-25 CAN NOT do better, correct?

OR. JUST AS GOOD! It means he's average. Only 5-10 could do better. Everyone else would do just as well (equal) or worse.

Now will you answer the question. WHO IS THE COACH WE COULD HIRE WHO WOULD DO BETTER!?!?!

The dodging coming from you right now is ridiculous.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

It doesn't have to be a simultaneous process where you need to have the replacement lined up before you can fire the current coach. You can do it in 2 steps. Fire the coach, get an interim coach, then search for the new coach in the offseason.

Who is the miracle coach? Give me a name please.

BTW. Most Nuggets fans would laugh you out of the room for bringing up Shaw.

Why would I have to give you some name? If Luke quit tomorrow and decided to take a college coaching job, you feel we can't eventually find another coach?

Why would I have to give you a name as if I've interviewed every single coach out there or know who will be available?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

OR. JUST AS GOOD! It means he's average. Only 5-10 could do better. Everyone else would do just as well or worse.

Now will you answer the question. WHO IS THE COACH WE COULD HIRE WHO WOULD DO BETTER!?!?!

The dodging coming from you right now is ridiculous.

Why would I have to give a name of who can be better? Why are you demanding a name? I don't get that.

Teams fire coaches all the time w/o giving their fanbase a replacement name. Why do you demand that from me?

And if Luke is just average, then why would we need to replace him with a miracle coach? Wouldn't replacing him with an above average coach be an improvement, since you claim he's only average?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Cool. So you don't have an answer. Just say that.

You want to fire Luke with no plan for us improving at that position. Cool.

A magical coach will fall out of the sky. It's not like Lebron is picky when it comes to coaches or anything.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Cool. So you don't have an answer. Just say that.

You want to fire Luke with no plan on us improving on that position. Cool.

Isn't that how it's been done?

Isn't that how we got Phil Jackson? Isn't that how we got Luke Walton? Didn't we fire Byron before we hired Luke?

Isn't that how we got D'Antoni? Didn't we fire Mike Brown w/o knowing who our next coach will be?

You make it sound like this is not how things are done in the NBA?

When's the last time we fired a coach and had a replacement already lined up?

Didn't Doc Rivers leave the Celtics and they went out and got Brad Stevens?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Jokes aside. Lebron isn't listening to another coach unless they have championship pedigree. And that's a short list.

I mean LBJ got Blatt fired. And it wasn't like Blatt was doing a bad job.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

From 2011 to 2016 we had 5 coaches. Only 1 was interim. Bernie. Who was only there for 5 games.

Switching coaches without having an available, better coach in mind is idiotic.
And it's extra dumb to do when you have an all time great player like Lebron (who is picky) on a ticking clock.

Luke doesn't deserve a pat on the back, or an attaboy. But he is an average coach, with championship experience, which is important to Bron (see Blatt vs. Lue). He could be replaced with a worse alternative. Especially if we don't have a plan. Or at least a person in mind Lebron wants. Someone who will mesh well with our roster 2019 and beyond.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

From 2011 to 2016 we had 5 coaches. Only 1 was interim. Bernie. Who was only there for 5 games.

Switching coaches without having an available, better coach in mind is idiotic.
And it's extra dumb to do when you have an all time great player like Lebron (who is picky) on a ticking clock.

Luke doesn't deserve a pat on the back, or an attaboy. But he is an average coach, with championship experience (which is important to Bron: see Blatt vs. Lue) that could be replaced with a worse alternative. Especially if we don't have a plan or a person in mind Lebron wants and will mesh well with our roster 2019 and beyond.

It's ironic that you used the examples of having 5 coaches in 5 years as an argument AGAINST having an interim coach.

Have no idea about this "replacement in mind" theory of yours. They fire a coach, they go out and look for a replacement. You categorize this as having a "replacement in mind"

Some are suggesting Luke be fired, then they can go out looking for a replacement - you demand replacement names...

What's the difference exactly?

And just because the fans don't know who they have in mind for a replacement doesn't mean Magic and Pelinka don't have a replacement already in mind?

I mean, if Luke quit tomorrow and took the job at Arizona, would you panic? I wouldn't.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

It's ironic that you used the examples of having 5 coaches in 5 years as an argument AGAINST having an interim coach.

Have no idea about this "replacement in mind" theory of yours. They fire a coach, they go out and look for a replacement. You categorize this as having a "replacement in mind"

Some are suggesting Luke be fired, then they can go out looking for a replacement - you demand replacement names...

And just because the fans don't know who they have in mind for a replacement doesn't mean Magic and Pelinka don't have a replacement already in mind?

I mean, if Luke quit tomorrow and took the job at Arizona, would you panic? I wouldn't.

It's ironic that you used the examples of having 5 coaches in 5 years as an argument FOR having an interim coach.

Would we have been better off with less coaching changes and more stability? Probably!

Wow. Mike Brown made Bynum a borderline all star. Wonder how he'd do with Dwight. To bad, we're signing MDA as our head coach.

We draft a PG. Wait, that sounds great for MDA! Too bad he's gone. Now we have Byron Scott. Who will make this young PGs life hell.

You want change. Just for changes sake. Fully ignoring the fact that most of the better coaches than Luke already have jobs.

Brian Shaw?? Really? Brian Shaw? That's who is gonna save us?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't expect people on LG to be as good as NBA GMs at selecting coaches. But the fact that nobody comes to mind shows, there aren't many good options.

There are accomplished European coaches. And looking at Lebron's history, that might not work.
There are accomplished college coaches. But most college coaches don't transition well to the NBA. Brad Stevens is the exception, not the rule.
There are re-treads. Ex-NBA coaches with past success. But most of those coaches are out of work because their past successes were overshadowed by greater, more recent failures.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

It's ironic that you used the examples of having 5 coaches in 5 years as an argument FOR having an interim coach.

Nope, just because you used it for your argument doesn't mean I also used it for mines.

For your argument against having an interim coach, you pointed out us having 5 coaches in 5 years. You used that example. Not really sure what you were trying to illustrate there, but you did it.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I don't expect people on LG to be as good as NBA GMs at selecting coaches. But the fact that nobody comes to mind shows, there aren't many good options.

There are accomplished European coaches. And looking at Lebron's history, that might not work.
There are accomplished college coaches. But most college coaches don't transition well to the NBA. Brad Stevens is the exception, not the rule.
There are re-treads. Ex-NBA coaches with past success. But most of those coaches are out of work because their past successes were overshadowed by greater, more recent failures.

what about LeBron's ex-coaches? i would totally rock Ty Lue or Spolstra if he's out of contract.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

But answer this question though, if Luke were to quit tomorrow to go coach at Arizona, would you panic?

Would Magic and Pelinka?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

But answer this question though, if Luke were to quit tomorrow to go coach at Arizona, would you panic?

Would Magic and Pelinka?

No way. Not with Brian Shaw here to save us!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Nope, just because you used it for your argument doesn't mean I also used it for mines.

For your argument against having an interim coach, you pointed out us having 5 coaches in 5 years. You used that example. Not really sure what you were trying to illustrate there, but you did it.

Only you could look at us having 5 coaches in 5 years and think it's a good idea to change the coach just for the sake of change.

You. Are funny.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Would we have been better off with less coaching changes and more stability? Probably!

Wow. Mike Brown made Bynum a borderline all star. Wonder how he'd do with Dwight. To bad, we're signing MDA as our head coach.

We draft a PG. Wait, that sounds great for MDA! Too bad he's gone. Now we have Byron Scott. Who will make this young PGs life hell.

You want change. Just for changes sake. Fully ignoring the fact that most of the better coaches than Luke already have jobs.

Brian Shaw?? Really? Brian Shaw? That's who is gonna save us?

Bottom line, it doesn't matter what I want. I have no say in the matter.

It's what Magic and Pelinka want. And in the end, if they are not sold on Luke, it doesn't matter if they fire him today, tomorrow or at the end of the season.

That's my point. It makes no difference when they decide to fire him.

Not sure what's so hard to understand. If he's going to get fired, it's not important that he stays for the last 26 games.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Would Magic and Pelinka?

Same old LG - "OMG we suck" - fire the coach and get our next savior -- oh the new coach is not doing a good enough job (regardless of whatever circumstances) -- fire him and find our next savior -- rinse and repeat
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
kikanga wrote:

what about LeBron's ex-coaches? i would totally rock Ty Lue or Spolstra if he's out of contract.

I'm down to get Spo. I think that would be an upgrade. Just don't think Riley would let him go.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Only you could look at us having 5 coaches in 5 years and think it's a good idea to change the coach just for the sake of change.

You. Are funny.

Never said that.

Again. It was your point you brought up as an argument AGAINST interim coaches.

You brought up that point. I found it ironic.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Would Magic and Pelinka?

Same old LG - "OMG we suck" - fire the coach and get our next savior -- oh the new coach is not doing a good enough job (regardless of whatever circumstances) -- fire him and find our next savior -- rinse and repeat

Last I remember, no one on LG's ever had a say in the matter. Every single coach fired/hired was done so without any input from LG.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Would Magic and Pelinka?

Last I remember, no one on LG's ever had a say in the matter. Every single coach fired/hired was done so without any input from LG.

Last I remember - the grass almost is never greener on the other side. I'd also add - I think Magic and Rob can see them pitch forks and flames you holding up down in the LBC ---
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Would Magic and Pelinka?

Last I remember - the grass almost is never greener on the other side. I'd also add - I think Magic and Rob can see them pitch forks and flames you holding up down in the LBC ---

ok.

But why are you mad at LG when no one at LG is making any decisions? Shouldn't you be directing your anger at the people that actually make the decisions?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 734, 735, 736 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 735 of 818
Jump to: