Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Without injuries to key personnel and this team still being in 4th place, or maybe in 3rd, we aren't even having this conversation in here.

Next season we acquire Kyrie and compete for a title, again.. we aren't having this conversation.

I think we are a bit reactive in here at times.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Without injuries to key personnel and this team still being in 4th place, or maybe in 3rd, we aren't even having this conversation in here.

Next season we acquire Kyrie and compete for a title, again.. we aren't having this conversation.

I do not want him fired or removed. All I would like to see is for him to think before he speaks, and to tighten his answers.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Magic was never cut out for this, and that's not necessarily a slight against him. Too big a personality and too open with his thoughts, almost completely inexperienced in the world of FOs where he has to compete against people who especially want to see the Lakers fail, and poor player evaluation skills on top of it all. I feel bad for him at this point, mostly because he had good intentions but was put in a bad position that he was likely going to fail in.

Sorry, no sympathy for Magic here. He spent years talking crap about Jim to the media saying how he doesn't know how to run a franchise and put good people around him. And then he goes and does the same thing by not hiring Jerry West who was practically begging to come back here as a consultant.

He puffed his chest as him and Jeanie classlessly left Jim and Mitch hanging before finally letting them go. He came in thinking he could charm his way into making the Lakers great again because well, he's Magic.

He went on national TV and tampered, which no doubt not only pissed off the Pacers but any other team who's thinking to themselves they do not want to get hoodwinked by the Lakers.

Yes, he got Lebron, but we all know that Lebron isn't really here for basketball reasons. We'll see how this summer pans out.

He can still turn this into something good, but as others have said, his past decisions do not instill any confidence that he knows what it takes.

So nope, no sympathy from me.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject:

#savethekids wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I do not want him fired or removed. All I would like to see is for him to think before he speaks, and to tighten his answers.

I agree with that.. him and that big personality makes it a challenge.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Magic sort of waded into this thinking that he could bend the collective will and arc of the NBA, because he's Magic.

He's had unthinkable success on/off the court, but there are the "Magic Johnsons" of the GM/FO world and he's just too inexperienced and untrained in that realm. It's really a cold hard world that is competitive and you have teams relying on advanced mathematics to gain every conceivable edge.

This bolded part is one thing that continues to concern me. I am fairly certain data analysis does not figure heavy into the FO decision making process or thinking.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Bucks owner was fined 25K..

Thank God.

Magic's comments on Giannis were a lot less "tampery" but he got fined more (twice as much I believe). It's still ridiculous IMO.

In any case, I think Magic and Pelinka need to just lay low for a while. "No comment."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I mean it ain't that hard to say "no comment" when asked about players under contract with other teams.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject:

If Brand had already said no a month ago, why was Magic still talking about it? I wouldn't be surprised if Philly took exception to that and requested for the league to look into it.
#savethekids
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Thank God.

Magic's comments on Giannis were a lot less "tampery" but he got fined more (twice as much I believe). It's still ridiculous IMO.

In any case, I think Magic and Pelinka need to just lay low for a while. "No comment."

[quote="#savethekids"]"NO COMMENT"
sans commentaires
kein Kommentar
nessun commento
コメント無し
geen kommentaar
pa koment
አስተያየት የለኝም[/quote

1 million percent agree.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

I don't know. I mean do they try to trade half the roster at the deadline if we're in 4th place if it means AD? Probably. Just because we had maintained 4th place (or at least maintained a spot in the top 8) wouldn't have changed the roster construction issues. There would still be problems and the team would have been thriving in spite of those issues.

Also, this being LG, the circumstances are irrelevant, people will complain about everything and anything. Even during the height of the Shaq/Kobe era we complained about the coaching, Shaq, Kobe, the FO, Dr. Buss....so more like fans are reactive, period.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Ben Simmons is a HUGE Magic Johnson fan (He owns a purple 32 Lakers Jersey). He loves being in LA, and his chick is the face of LA. His previous chick is from LA. He’s not leaving Philly anytime soon, but at 27 or 28, we’ll be seeing Simmons to LA rumors.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Magic sort of waded into this thinking that he could bend the collective will and arc of the NBA, because he's Magic.

He's had unthinkable success on/off the court, but there are the "Magic Johnsons" of the GM/FO world and he's just too inexperienced and untrained in that realm. It's really a cold hard world that is competitive and you have teams relying on advanced mathematics to gain every conceivable edge.

This bolded part is one thing that continues to concern me. I am fairly certain data analysis does not figure heavy into the FO decision making process or thinking.

Brook is the prime example. All Magic probably saw was a flashback of a 40 year old KAJ lumbering up the court.

The advanced stats would tell you how amazing Brook is at boxing out (thereby letting others grab boards), or how he spaced the floor for BI (and would have for LBJ), or that he showed great growth as 3 point shooting possibility.

But aesthetics seem to be the governing currency.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
#savethekids wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I agree with that.. him and that big personality makes it a challenge.

That's why he's gullible. His personality just keeps putting him in similar situations while making the same mistakes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Magic the person to me, will always be unassailable. My childhood hero.

Magic the FO man, assailable.

I'm hoping that he grows from this experience. B/c there will come a time, if he's still around as the FO, where we won't have an "LBJ" bullet to fire and save the team.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

I don't know. I mean do they try to trade half the roster at the deadline if we're in 4th place if it means AD? Probably. Just because we had maintained 4th place (or at least maintained a spot in the top 8) wouldn't have changed the roster construction issues. There would still be problems and the team would have been thriving in spite of those issues.

Also, this being LG, the circumstances are irrelevant, people will complain about everything and anything. Even during the height of the Shaq/Kobe era we complained about the coaching, Shaq, Kobe, the FO, Dr. Buss....so more like fans are reactive, period.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying.. and yes fans are reactive. The narrative would be different if we were still in 4th place though.

In spite of all this teams problems I still like our chances in any playoff series. Excluding GS of course.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject:

#savethekids wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
League moved on that comment in less than 24 hours but nothing on the bucks owner yet?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25974152/milwaukee-bucks-co-owner-marc-lasry-fined-tampering

Good job league office.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

Thank God.

It could have been progressive punishment for Magic since he had some issues in the past when he a honorary vice-president. Maybe there wasn't a fine back then, but they did remove the vice-president title at his request so what he said as a private citizen wouldn't have blowback as something the Lakers organization thought/wanted.

Lakers remove Magic Johnson's ceremonial vice president title (June 2016)

Quote:

Johnson sold his ownership stake in the Lakers in 2010. He has been known to tweet about other players, particularly free agents, which did not always sit well with others around the league.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Armchair GMs dumping on Maginka. Sigh.

Best Player In The League? Check.

Plenty of cap room to sign FA? Check.

Young superstars trying to force their way to the Lakers? Check.

Own all of our 1st rounders? Check.

Young talent on the roster? Check.

The man hasn't even been on the job two years.

Crawl back in your holes, haters.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

LG chicken littles keep whining, meanwhile players across the league are tripping over themselves to hang out with Magic. The sky isn't falling as fast as some people on this board would like to claim.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

i'm no fan of Magic, mainly for his dumb loud mouth. but i'd rather have him than the ultra conservative Mitch Kupcake any day of the week. other GMs are attacking Magic now because they're feeling the heat, when Kupcake was in charge, they would just treated him as nonexistent because he posed no threat of signing their top free agents away.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But even by these modern standards, the Clippers' pursuit is still a little revolutionary. Raptors officials have noticed a Clippers employee at roughly 75 percent of the team's games thus far this season. Clippers officials say they've been at less than 50 percent of Leonard's games. There have been games they attended where Leonard rested. That has included president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank, which is rare. Presidents and general managers are almost never seen attending a game that doesn't involve their teams.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25501657/clippers-scouting-kawhi-leonard-kevin-durant-nba

Clippers have been sending their high level FO people to Kawhii games this year. that isn't tampering?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Ben Simmons is a HUGE Magic Johnson fan (He owns a purple 32 Lakers Jersey). He loves being in LA, and his chick is the face of LA. His previous chick is from LA. He’s not leaving Philly anytime soon, but at 27 or 28, we’ll be seeing Simmons to LA rumors.

Hopefully we have a new FO by then.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Hopefully we will have hung 4 or 5 more championship banners by then.

FIFY - we are Lakers fans, first, aren't we?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
Quote:
But even by these modern standards, the Clippers' pursuit is still a little revolutionary. Raptors officials have noticed a Clippers employee at roughly 75 percent of the team's games thus far this season. Clippers officials say they've been at less than 50 percent of Leonard's games. There have been games they attended where Leonard rested. That has included president of basketball operations Lawrence Frank, which is rare. Presidents and general managers are almost never seen attending a game that doesn't involve their teams.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25501657/clippers-scouting-kawhi-leonard-kevin-durant-nba

Clippers have been sending their high level FO people to Kawhii games this year. that isn't tampering?

Also, this:

https://twitter.com/lakersraw/status/1095087136687050753?s=21
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Hopefully we will have hung 4 or 5 more championship banners by then.

FIFY - we are Lakers fans, first, aren't we?

It's cannibalism week in the Lounge. Haven't you heard? We have to eat our own.
The regular season ended after 58 games this year. For some reason. So now there is no hope and all that's left to do is blame people and say I told you so.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 85 of 174
Jump to: