Pelinka:Teams Should Fear LA in 7-Game Playoff Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
They should fear the Lakers for what reason? I would say the reason is that LeBron could go off and have an all time epic streak of historic games. But other than that, what about Pelinkas roster construction would worry the top 103 teams in the west?

To be fair lebron is the key cog in the roster construction. You can't just dismiss it like "well other that LeBron"

Other than jokic
Other than Durant
Other than Leonard

See how silly that sounds
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject:

If anything, history has shown that a single player can turn a 1st round playoff series. Rotations are tightened, more minutes for the better players.

The key is whether our other YUTES (and of course guys like Rondo) can be consistent. When you're putting up 34/9/9 in the playoffs you can win a series.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Here's what Rob said, and of course it was editorialized to generate clicks:

Quote:
"I wouldn't want to [play] us in any seven-game matchup, that's for sure,"

Okay, that's more reasonable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

Okay, that's more reasonable.

Yeah, I don't think teams fear us for the reasons many have said.

But, very few teams have the personnel to stop LBJ in the playoffs too. I'd say only the Warriors are equipped to deal with that. PG13 has not exactly had playoff success against LBJ either but OKC is probably the 2nd best.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

I feel the same way as Pelinka. I think we have a good shot vs anybody but GS in 7 games. It will be critical to get in the top 7 to avoid them in Round 1. At the same time, we will have to beat them eventually to win #17. I’m optimistic but realistically it would be a tough mountain to climb. So it would be nice for the young guys to hopefully get a series win or maybe 2 to get some big time playoff experience. Unfortunately, I think that’s gonna be huge for Boston this year the seasoning their young guys got last postseason.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
we are 3 games out of the 6 & 7 seed....we have this. If we can pull off another win Sunday @ Philly, then we go to Atlanta....get both of those likely takes us into All Star break in 9th or tied for 8th.

i dont believe we will beat philly, unless they have some injuries in tonights game
Klutch Sports Group
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Al13 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
we are 3 games out of the 6 & 7 seed....we have this. If we can pull off another win Sunday @ Philly, then we go to Atlanta....get both of those likely takes us into All Star break in 9th or tied for 8th.

i dont believe we will beat philly, unless they have some injuries in tonights game

Don't underestimate LeBron and Rondo when you need some wins. They can get it done. Sixers play today also. We have a chance.
DaKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Do the Warriors fear us?

Houston is a team if we're fully healthy and clicking I think we could upset.

But if it's 8th seed us vs 1st seed Warriors....

Pretty sure a lot would say we'd want Denver. But they'd have home court, and that is where they've thrived this season.

Anywhere from 8th, to 7th, to 6th will be an uphill battle. But it woll build character.

If we make the playoffs.
I actually think we have a good chance of beating GS in a series...We have their number. In fact I’m sure with Lebron on this team they stand a better chance at beating the Warriors than Lebron did with the Cavs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
BigBallerBrand wrote:
I’ve said it all along, just get the 7th seed and we will make it to West Finals. If we get 8 we are screwed

I don't know about WCF, but definitely can't be the 8-seed

I don't know about WCF either, but we can definitely make the WC Quarterfinals.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject:

On an injury history basis alone, it'd be a pretty unsupportable view that this club would do damage to a top five seed after another thirty games. We're a nice team at full strength but what is there - a 50-50 chance that we're healthy in all the key slots come mid-April ? Maybe, I wouldn't bet on it.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I like our chances to make WCF...if fully healthy. But this team seems especially susceptible to injury. What are the odds LeBron, Ingram, Ball, Rondo, Kuz will all be healthy at the same time? Fingers crossed.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I like our chances to make WCF...if fully healthy. But this team seems especially susceptible to injury. What are the odds LeBron, Ingram, Ball, Rondo, Kuz will all be healthy at the same time? Fingers crossed.

WCF only possible if we don't play the Warriors before the WCF. We aren't beating them with this roster. If it's in the 1st round it's one and done.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Hope we get in because we all know Lebron has GOAT motivations. We're not going to be an easy out for those top seeds.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Can’t see this team beat State or OKC.
Both teams have more talent and experience.

Denver is a match up we could win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Only 3 teams to fear come playoff time, with the only team to avoid is GW, which the Lakers will make sure to avoid the 8th seed and just get into the playoffs. Rockets to be worried about is just that ugly Harden/ref ball, along with facing CP3 & Capella, as I just don't want know if I could stomach a 7 game series going up against that ugly Harden-ball. 3rd team is the Spurs and that's just with the huge mismatch of Popovich vs Luke in the coaching department and the mind games Pop might do, like leaving Ball, BI, or giving any non shooter a 10 foot cushion , or do a hack a Ball, etc. Lakers would be favored against any non-Warriors team come playoff time.
ducasse2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
Only 3 teams to fear come playoff time, with the only team to avoid is GW, which the Lakers will make sure to avoid the 8th seed and just get into the playoffs. Rockets to be worried about is just that ugly Harden/ref ball, along with facing CP3 & Capella, as I just don't want know if I could stomach a 7 game series going up against that ugly Harden-ball. 3rd team is the Spurs and that's just with the huge mismatch of Popovich vs Luke in the coaching department and the mind games Pop might do, like leaving Ball, BI, or giving any non shooter a 10 foot cushion , or do a hack a Ball, etc. Lakers would be favored against any non-Warriors team come playoff time.

Lakers would be favored against Houston, OKC, Denver? I can't see that.

Although Denver is beatable if the Lakers are firing on all cylinders.

Houston will just be too tough of an out if Chris Paul is healthy the way Harden is coddled by the refs. Harden can't be defended when he is being sent to the line 15+ times a game and Chris Paul seems to have made it his life's mission to destroy the Lakers since the time he first joined the Clippers.

Lakers can't beat OKC if Westbrook and George play to their capabilities. Who is going to slow down either of those guys on the defensive end? If the Lakers had a Kawhi type defender who could lock down George I could see the logic but we have no one to slow those two guys down.

Spurs have a huge advantage in coaching but the Spurs are a team the Lakers can certainly beat if Lebron is playing at a high level and the supporting cast steps up.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject:

These guys are geniuses at this...Failed to trade away the farm and less than a week after says teams should fear us....(bleep)....dont open your mouth for the remainder of the season thank you.
JPaulK0n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Houston will just be too tough of an out if Chris Paul is healthy the way Harden is coddled by the refs. Harden can't be defended when he is being sent to the line 15+ times a game and Chris Paul seems to have made it his life mission to destroy the Lakers since the time he first joined the Clippers

Lakers can't beat OKC if Westbrook and George play to their capabilities. Who is going to slow down either of those guys on the defensive end? If the Lakers had a Kawhi type defender who could lock down George I could see the logic but we have no one to slow those two guys down.

Spurs have a huge advantage in coaching but the Spurs are a team the Lakers can certainly beat if Lebron is playing at a high level and the supporting cast steps up.

LeBron in the finals loses to great teams for the most part that end up in the finals or win the finals in the playoffs, besides the Warriors, do the Rockets, Nuggets, or Thunder, or any other teams out West fit that criteria? "Worst team" you could say LeBron has lost to in his playoff career were the 2006 Detroit Pistons, which still had that 2004 finals starting 5 that ended up losing in the ECF that year in 2006. LeBron is not going to lose to a Nuggets team with Jokic, young players that have never been in the playoffs, and Millsap, who LeBron has owned his whole time with the Cav's. Thunder barely beat the Lakers once and lost once in 2 games without LeBron playing. It's only PG & Westbrook to worry about and that's about it, with both Lakers & Thunder lacking shooting, and the Lakers having the better depth than the Thunder. Thunder imo won't be a problem for the Lakers. LeBron doesn't lose to great regular season teams, you have to have an all time great player or team historically to beat LeBron, such as those Spurs team, Warriors team, 2004 Pistons starting 5, 2008 Celtics Big 3, 2009 Prime Dwight Howard Magics team, Prime Dirk Mavericks team, and that's it for teams to ever beat LeBron. No other team at this point is going to worry the Lakers or LeBron besides the Warriors come playoff time.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Quote:

And he says that about less than 3 hours after guy had near everyone but LeBron on the trading block.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I think we are about to win the championship this year. Everything that happened is just gonna add to the story of the road to championship.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I think we are about to win the championship this year. Everything that happened is just gonna add to the story of the road to championship.

If LeBron wins the chips with this current squad, he GOAT
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
They should fear the Lakers for what reason? I would say the reason is that LeBron could go off and have an all time epic streak of historic games. But other than that, what about Pelinkas roster construction would worry the top 103 teams in the west?

To be fair lebron is the key cog in the roster construction. You can't just dismiss it like "well other that LeBron"

Other than jokic
Other than Durant
Other than Leonard

Other than Durant, you have Curry, Draymond, Cousins, and Thompson. What's silly about that?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject:

JPaulK0n wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
JPaulK0n wrote:

Houston will just be too tough of an out if Chris Paul is healthy the way Harden is coddled by the refs. Harden can't be defended when he is being sent to the line 15+ times a game and Chris Paul seems to have made it his life mission to destroy the Lakers since the time he first joined the Clippers

LeBron in the finals loses to great teams for the most part that end up in the finals or win the finals in the playoffs, besides the Warriors, do the Rockets, Nuggets, or Thunder, or any other teams out West fit that criteria? "Worst team" you could say LeBron has lost to in his playoff career were the 2006 Detroit Pistons, which still had that 2004 finals starting 5 that ended up losing in the ECF that year in 2006. LeBron is not going to lose to a Nuggets team with Jokic, young players that have never been in the playoffs, and Millsap, who LeBron has owned his whole time with the Cav's. Thunder barely beat the Lakers once and lost once in 2 games without LeBron playing. It's only PG & Westbrook to worry about and that's about it, with both Lakers & Thunder lacking shooting, and the Lakers having the better depth than the Thunder. Thunder imo won't be a problem for the Lakers. LeBron doesn't lose to great regular season teams, you have to have an all time great player or team historically to beat LeBron, such as those Spurs team, Warriors team, 2004 Pistons starting 5, 2008 Celtics Big 3, 2009 Prime Dwight Howard Magics team, Prime Dirk Mavericks team, and that's it for teams to ever beat LeBron. No other team at this point is going to worry the Lakers or LeBron besides the Warriors come playoff time.

Quick name one title contending team in the East during LeBron's last 8 years over there.

Paul George and Roy Hibbert's Pacers?
Al Horford and Kyle Korver's Atlanta Hawks?
Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah's Chicago Bulls?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Can’t see this team beat State or OKC.
Both teams have more talent and experience.

Denver is a match up we could win.

OKC isn't anything special.

Only team clearly better is GSW.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Other than jokic
Other than Durant
Other than Leonard

I didn't say except LeBron, I said expect for LeBron having an all-time streak of epic games. A lot of other teams have roster construction and coaching that can survive a string of just good games by those stars and they can win. LeBron will need to be much better than that to carry this team. Rob shouldn't be tooting his horn, he should be praying LeBron has the best playoffs of his career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: