Magic to have meeting with team about AD saga
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Magic to have meeting with team about AD saga

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-trade-aftermath-20190208-story.html
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

lol

I know it's a business, but they are never going to trust him again.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject:

Is he going to say, "F them kids." (where did this meme originate from?)
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject:

I get the sentiment but I'm not sure it will help. Probably better to not make it bigger than it is and just move on.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject:

[Question from one of the "F them kids"]: Mr. Johnson, are you going to trade us again for AD this summer?

[Magic]: Um, wow, my flight is leaving in an hour. Hey good luck!
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

"To me, you guys are untouchable"
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject:

Tell Ingram he’s on the trading block for the rest of his Laker tenure. He seems to be killing it till last night
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject:

It has nothing to do with trust, it part of the job. I know Kuz wasn’t born yet but Rick Mahorn was traded to NJ during the Pistons championship parade. (Yes, I have tons of random basketball junk knowledge). Magic will say win and play for each other. Become one of the players that teams are not willing to trade. Until then, teams will try to trade you for a superstar every single time.
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject:

Is Rich Paul gonna be in the meeting too
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

i think its a good idea. But above all wins heal every major or lesser injury
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject:

I'm sure it'll be along the lines of, "Hey, it's a business and we want to compete for a championship. We were dangling you guys out there, but you're still with the team. We value you, hence why we didn't just try to make any trade just for the sake of it. We didn't know AD would be available this season and we reacted impulsively. Here's your guys' chance to push and prove to us that you do belong on this team. We're still the Los Angeles Lakers."

At least that's what I would say. Just keep it real.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

“Make yourself untradeable”

Simple message
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
I'm sure it'll be along the lines of, "Hey, it's a business and we want to compete for a championship. We were dangling you guys out there, but you're still with the team. We value you, hence why we didn't just try to make any trade just for the sake of it. We didn't know AD would be available this season and we reacted impulsively. Here's your guys' chance to push and prove to us that you do belong on this team. We're still the Los Angeles Lakers."

At least that's what I would say. Just keep it real.

Magic will keep it real. For better or worse, he doesn’t know any other way. Like on national TV when he asked, “But can Lebron stop Jason Terry.” 😝. Or when he said Westbrook’s performance in the Finals was the worst he’s ever seen a point guard play.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:

Simple message

Bingo.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

"This is a business, everybody is getting paid, go out there and be professionals and let's try to win a championship."

Anything else is pure BS.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

This is what Magic does best...but I don't think the audience will be buying what he's selling.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

Listening to Rob talk to Bresnahan... if I were a player, it would just piss me off even more.

I hate listening to PR dudes and car salesmen.

I think Rob is an intelligent, likeable guy... but everything he said sounded like he was keeping all his options open for AD in the summer.

The only way he and Magic could save things from a morale standpoint would be to give up on the AD plan and go for another FA... or outright lie to them and say they gave up on it and then ship them out. (Which would be disgusting and morally reprehensible, but might work)

This politically correct double talk is so transparent.

Hopefully the players use the anger from listening to their bullsh*t to get to the playoffs and go on a long run to force Maginka to keep them.

But I think a disingenuous pep talk might have a backlash effect.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:

Simple message

The problem with saying that is Klutch would have to allow them to keep that promise.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Doc JC wrote:

Simple message

The problem with saying that is Klutch would have to allow them to keep that promise.

I personally think the "power" of Klutch is overblown. I think if LeBron was on a 1+1 deal then you're right, but he signed a 3 year deal with player option on the 4th.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

where24happens wrote:
"To me, you guys are untouchable"

I think Magic has a little more common sense than that. The thing that does work is telling them the truth, and the truth will be that he as executive of the Laker is always looking to make the team into a championship contender, and that when the opportunity to get the best presents itself you have to jump on it. It's a business and it's not personal and it happens on all NBA teams and to just about every player. It does not mean that they are not good and that they are trash, it means that you're tying to get a legendary player and that's what it takes.
When you speak to people in that way they have to understand where they are at in that moment. I think it also serves as motivation to get better and to prove that they can be on par to be elite level players. You're also in LA and winning is the only way to go.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Listening to Rob talk to Bresnahan... if I were a player, it would just piss me off even more.

I think Rob is an intelligent, likeable guy... but everything he said sounded like he was keeping all his options open for AD in the summer.

The only way he and Magic could save things from a morale standpoint would be to give up on the AD plan and go for another FA... or outright lie to them and say they gave up on it and then ship them out. (Which would be disgusting and morally reprehensible, but might work)

Hopefully the players use the anger from listening to their bullsh*t to get to the playoffs and go on a long run to force Maginka to keep them.

I think that no matter what Rob and or Magic say, everyone not named LeBron on that roster is going to have a weary eye out knowing their time could be coming. They know they are now pieces in this chess game of getting another superstar. Are they meaningless pawns, or rooks or bishops?

That said, I think they can also breathe a sigh of relief and know that at the very lease they are not going anywhere til June/July/August IF at all. So for 5-6 months they can relax. Judging by their performances last night, maybe they're not all that fazed on the court. I mean, the only guys who seem to have to wonder are BI, Kuz, Zo, Hart, Mo. The rest are all FA's this summer and KCP seems to have a get out of jail free card.

But look, I think if those said young players ball the F out, it's hard for any GM to trade them if they can just add a max player to that core + LeBron. So while it's not totally "they control their own destiny", in many respects, they can make it a very tough decision when and if that time comes that AD is back available.

I think we all agree here that adding one of Kawhi, KD, Klay, or Kyrie to this core is much better plan than trading it all for AD and then trying to waive/move anyone else to create cap for a 3rd guy. Hopefully we make the playoffs, avoid GS, and win a couple rounds. I still believe we are a top 3/4 WC team when healthy.

As unlikely as some not these FA's feel right now, trading for AD is also unlikely once the Celtics get into the mix... IF Kyrie doesn't walk and blow up their whole plan... so maybe the kids need to worry a whole lot less now than ever,

Last edited by 2019 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

do you see those jerseys up there
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject:

I think adding Vucevic and another FA is better than trading everyone for AD. We might not have any superstars among our young core it seems but we might have players that make significant impact winning games.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I get the sentiment but I'm not sure it will help. Probably better to not make it bigger than it is and just move on.

Nah. He has to handle it correctly, but addressing it with them is the right move. With both he and Luke having been former players, their guidance should have sway with guys. I'm not holding my breath, but one of the best things he could do as part of that discussion is demonstrate support for Luke. Regardless of what his plan are this summer, he needs guys to follow Walton this year.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I think that no matter what Rob and or Magic say, everyone not named LeBron on that roster is going to have a weary eye out knowing their time could be coming. They know they are now pieces in this chess game of getting another superstar. Are they meaningless pawns, or rooks or bishops?

That said, I think they can also breathe a sigh of relief and know that at the very lease they are not going anywhere til June/July/August IF at all. So for 5-6 months they can relax. Judging by their performances last night, maybe they're not all that fazed on the court. I mean, the only guys who seem to have to wonder are BI, Kuz, Zo, Hart, Mo. The rest are all FA's this summer and KCP seems to have a get out of jail free card.

But look, I think if those said young players ball the F out, it's hard for any GM to trade them if they can just add a max player to that core + LeBron. So while it's not totally "they control their own destiny", in many respects, they can make it a very tough decision when and if that time comes that AD is back available.

I think we all agree here that adding one of Kawhi, KD, Klay, or Kyrie to this core is much better plan than trading it all for AD and then trying to waive/move anyone else to create cap for a 3rd guy. Hopefully we make the playoffs, avoid GS, and win a couple rounds. I still believe we are a top 3/4 WC team when healthy.

As unlikely as some not these FA's feel right now, trading for AD is also unlikely once the Celtics get into the mix... IF Kyrie doesn't walk and blow up their whole plan... so maybe the kids need to worry a whole lot less now than ever,

But that's the problem... because of Klutch... they don't know if the dice are loaded against them.

That is what has a demoralizing effect.

We don't know as fans.

I had given up all hope... but it looks like Maginka stood up to Klutch a little when they tried to force their hand by possibly leaking trade info.

But who wins the power struggle is still up in the air.

A fair fight... you make the playoffs and beat anyone who isn't GSW and you stay. This might be a good motivational tool.

But when Klutch might force the trade no matter how well they perform... short of winning a title, it doesn't have the most motivating effect.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15
Jump to: