Pelinka:Teams Should Fear LA in 7-Game Playoff Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's understandable that Pelinka would try to do some spin doctoring, but I'm not buying it. I don't think anyone would fear us in a seven game series. We are far too inconsistent. It's almost guaranteed that there would be one game like last night or Christmas Day. But I don't think anyone would be worried about us doing it four times in seven games.

Disagree. Besides the Warrior, we are likely a competitive series against any other WC simply b/c we have LBJ. He put up 34/9/9 in 20+ playoff games with a hobbled Love and nothing much else.

We're not even in the playoffs at the moment.

The season hasn't ended yet...at the moment.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's understandable that Pelinka would try to do some spin doctoring, but I'm not buying it. I don't think anyone would fear us in a seven game series. We are far too inconsistent. It's almost guaranteed that there would be one game like last night or Christmas Day. But I don't think anyone would be worried about us doing it four times in seven games.

Disagree. Besides the Warrior, we are likely a competitive series against any other WC simply b/c we have LBJ. He put up 34/9/9 in 20+ playoff games with a hobbled Love and nothing much else.

We're not even in the playoffs at the moment.

The season hasn't ended yet...at the moment.

Right but as of now, we're not even in the playoffs. We're not even a lock to make the playoffs or even close to being a lock.

So it's a bit silly to be talking about what scary would be if we're even good enough to qualify.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Not what Rob said...did anyone watch the interview with Bres?

Yeah, I just clicked on the link to find the context. Rob did not say *FEAR*

Who the F writes the misleading headlines at Bleacher Report? It's like a tabloid paper.

Even inside the article it says:

Quote:
"I wouldn't want to [play] us in any seven-game matchup, that's for sure," general manager Rob Pelinka said when asked about the Purple and Gold potentially reaching the playoffs, per Mike Bresnahan of Spectrum SportsNet.

Jeebus. All Rob said is that the Lakers wouldn't want to play the Lakers in a 7 game series. I know, right? Lakers would lose that matchup.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

lakid wrote:
danzag wrote:
Let's worry about getting in there first

I think our chances of getting lucky are better with the lottery balls than in the playoffs. I'd rather tank at this point.

I'm amazed people still think this way. Let's setback the development and chemistry of our current group of guys, just so we can hopefully pick up a nice rotation player in the first round!
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

I think even playing the Warriors in the first round wouldn't be so bad. Firstly, it's a big psychological confidence boost just to make the playoffs alone. Second, if we put up a competitive series (say 6 or 7 down to the wire games) then all the young guys get a big boost in confidence knowing they played the best of the best and still came close, and are battle tested for next season. If we get bounced by the Nuggs or Thunder in the first round that would be a worse defeat imo.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

I think we’re viewed as a top 4 team in the West in a 7 game series. These guys have seen LeBron do it too many times to not fear him. Lakers are scarier than the Nuggets to most teams IMO.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject:

Lakers can beat anyone in the West in a 7 game series EXCEPT Warriors.

I rather have us play Denver first round. They have ZERO playoff experience and they do NOT know how playoff Rondo and playoff LeBron work. We take them out in 6.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
I think we’re viewed as a top 4 team in the West in a 7 game series. These guys have seen LeBron do it too many times to not fear him. Lakers are scarier than the Nuggets to most teams IMO.

THIS.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
They should fear the Lakers for what reason? I would say the reason is that LeBron could go off and have an all time epic streak of historic games. But other than that, what about Pelinkas roster construction would worry the top 103 teams in the west?

Don’t be a wuss! 😜
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject:

Lakers are 22-15 with Lebron on the court. And of course that comes with other guys being out during most of those games. How many games have the Lakers had their full compliment of players this year? 5 at most? You think that doesn't affect chemistry?

I pegged em as a 45-50 win team, mid seed in WCF. 22-15 is a 48-49 win pace. So they've met my expectations.

So all bs about the trade deadline aside, they're actually a decent team when healthy, which they've never been. They've also been competitive with many top teams.

Will they topple the Warriors in a series, no. But I promise no one would want to face us in a 7 game series.
UKUGA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Right.

Inconsistency is a legitimate concern, but you can be inconsistent and still win 4/7.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

If healthy no team wants to see us. Not even the Warriors. Lonzo Ball defending your favorite point guard. Ingram Skellington can fall for a pump fake and still recover to disrupt a shot. Kuzma only makes big shots. Playoff Rondo. Playoff Lebron.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

It all depends on if we are healthy. If we are, we can hang with any team. Probably can't beat GSW in a 7 game series but we are the most equipped to do it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Any team we draw in the playoffs is likely to be better than the '18 Indiana Pacers. The '18 Raptors collapsed, but that was their trademark. The Cavs' only quality win was against the Kyrie-less Celtics.

I would caution against extrapolating from those results to think that Lebron can singlehandedly beat a team like the Rockets or the Nuggets in a seven-game series. For that to happen, guys like Kuzma and Casey P. would need to make their shots consistently, and Ingram would need to grow up and learn how to play team basketball.

I hope you turn out to be right, but I'm still not buying Pelinka's bull.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Any team we draw in the playoffs is likely to be better than the '18 Indiana Pacers. The '18 Raptors collapsed, but that was their trademark. The Cavs' only quality win was against the Kyrie-less Celtics.

I would caution against extrapolating from those results to think that Lebron can singlehandedly beat a team like the Rockets or the Nuggets in a seven-game series. For that to happen, guys like Kuzma and Casey P. would need to make their shots consistently, and Ingram would need to grow up and learn how to play team basketball.

I would much rather play the Nuggets than last years Raptors team. I think these Nuggets are having a good regular season but are going to disappoint a lot of people in the playoffs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I wouldn't say we are favorites, but I've been rooting against LBJ for so many years despite his overcoming and dismantling teams in the playoffs.

He is just a force of nature in the playoffs. Plus, the rotations shorten and LBJ just has an extra gear.

I would say we have a good puncher's chance (assuming no Warriors) in any of the 1st round matchups.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Puncher's chance? Sure. Feared? Not buying it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Puncher's chance? Sure. Feared? Not buying it.

I don't think he said "feared" though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

Here's what Rob said, and of course it was editorialized to generate clicks:

Quote:
"I wouldn't want to [play] us in any seven-game matchup, that's for sure,"

Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

lakid wrote:
danzag wrote:
Let's worry about getting in there first

I think our chances of getting lucky are better with the lottery balls than in the playoffs. I'd rather tank at this point.

That's a losing mentality and it has to end, and that's why Magic was brought in here. The days of Jimbo and Mitch are over.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

I think Pelinka is right, when this team is rocking on all cylinders they are one very scary group. It's really too bad these injuries derailed them and put them in this position. The only thing this group lacks is experience but that's why you have Lebron, Rondo and some of the other veterans.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
They should fear the Lakers for what reason? I would say the reason is that LeBron could go off and have an all time epic streak of historic games. But other than that, what about Pelinkas roster construction would worry the top 103 teams in the west?

It’s not easy to eliminate LeBron but we will get bounced early. We just don’t have a team.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

We were on a 48-49 win pace before all the injuries.

Of course no guarantee we get healthy for the playoffs, but the engine is certainly there to be competitive in the playoffs.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
we are 3 games out of the 6 & 7 seed....we have this. If we can pull off another win Sunday @ Philly, then we go to Atlanta....get both of those likely takes us into All Star break in 9th or tied for 8th.

Yeah, that is why I don't know why people are doubting.

all we need is a 4-5 game winning streak to get close to the 6th seed and people think that is too hard to do?? With the extra shooting added to this team, I think we stand a better chance of going on a long streak.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

Those Knicks/Cavs losses...damn.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: