The Level of Hatred Around the Country
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: The Level of Hatred Around the Country

I have spent the last 3 or 4 hours receiving texts and phone calls from fans of other teams who are positively ecstatic because the Lakers did not trade for Anthony Davis. Even those who were telling me what a doofus Magic was for offering so much (reportedly) are MUCH happier that we didn't do a deal than they would've been if we'd paid too much.

Sports hate is something I understand - Belicheat, Brady, the Cowboys, any SEC team and the Foston Bucking Celtics can all burn forever in Sports Hell and it won't be long enough in my book.

The hate for the Lakers, however, seems to go beyong hating the star players and the legacy of success or the Hollywood atmosphere. For everyone (except, presumably, Clippers fans), hating the Lakers is hating Los Angeles, California, and everything it stands for - 80 degree days in the winter, more physically fit and better looking people, higher degree of social conciousness, film and TV stars at Starbucks, cleaner homeless folks etc.

Whatever is "wrong" with the Left Coast, La La Land, the Land of Fruits & Nuts, and all of the other pejoratives used to describe Los Angeles, the disdain and animus is displayed in hatred for the Lakers. Not so with respect to the Dodgers, Rams, Chargers, Kings or Bruins. Maybe a little bit for the Football Trojans, but not to the same degree.

One of my most obnoxious friends called about an hour after the trade deadline from Ohio to crow about "Magic's failure." My office is in walking distance of USC, so I ran outside, gathered 6 random girls for a photo and texted it to him. He texted back a middle finger icon.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles has been named the most unpopular city in America in polls for decades, just as the Lakers have been one of the most hated sports teams for decades.

Nothing new about any of this. Hatred of sports teams is largely fueled by their success, and the other LA teams you mention haven't been nearly as successful.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject:

How many Finals have we been in?

It's understandable honestly. Unless you're a fan, everyone dislikes the Patriots. It's old seeing them in the Super Bowl almost every year.

Comes with the territory.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:

It's understandable honestly. Unless you're a fan, everyone dislikes the Patriots. It's old seeing them in the Super Bowl almost every year.

It seems to be a higher degree of hatred towards the Lakers, however. We really haven't been relevant in 7+ years, but the hatred never lessens.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject:

sounds more like you just have mean friends.
Sorry.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I’m surprised by the level of hatred from our own Lakers fanbase.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Sorry.

Yes - many of them are idiots.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
eddiejonze wrote:
Sorry.

Yes - many of them are idiots.

Good picture to send back though. Nice, lol.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

It seems to be a higher degree of hatred towards the Lakers, however. We really haven't been relevant in 7+ years, but the hatred never lessens.

No one hates on the Rams, and other than a few people who carp about their bottomless payroll, the Dodgers either, or the Angels. It's all about being the "evil empire". Partly from winning, partly from being a west coast team in an east coast game, partly from Stern and the biased media perpetuating it, etc. It doesn't help that much like New Yorkers, LA people have a particularly smug sensibility about their city (see the OP's descriptors) and a disdain for those outside it that tends to make people have it in for them too. There's the feeling among both cities that everyone really wants to be there and is just jealous. It's certainly true of some people, but there are a lot of us who live where we do because we actually prefer it to either place.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles, Hollywood, Weather, Beaches, Nightlife, Hot Women, Culture, Lakers, Winning, Championships = Hate.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

No one hates on the Rams, and other than a few people who carp about their bottomless payroll, the Dodgers either, or the Angels. It's all about being the "evil empire". Partly from winning, partly from being a west coast team in an east coast game, partly from Stern and the biased media perpetuating it, etc. It doesn't help that much like New Yorkers, LA people have a particularly smug sensibility about their city (see the OP's descriptors) and a disdain for those outside it that tends to make people have it in for them too. There's the feeling among both cities that everyone really wants to be there and is just jealous. It's certainly true of some people, but there are a lot of us who live where we do because we actually prefer it to either place.

Yankees get the same hate.
LeBronte Jest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Los Angeles, Hollywood, Weather, Beaches, Nightlife, Hot Women, Culture, Lakers, Winning, Championships = Hate.

You just kinda made Omar's point.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Level of Hatred Around the Country

Dr. Laker wrote:
I have spent the last 3 or 4 hours receiving texts and phone calls from fans of other teams who are positively ecstatic because the Lakers did not trade for Anthony Davis. Even those who were telling me what a doofus Magic was for offering so much (reportedly) are MUCH happier that we didn't do a deal than they would've been if we'd paid too much.

Sports hate is something I understand - Belicheat, Brady, the Cowboys, any SEC team and the Foston Bucking Celtics can all burn forever in Sports Hell and it won't be long enough in my book.

The hate for the Lakers, however, seems to go beyong hating the star players and the legacy of success or the Hollywood atmosphere. For everyone (except, presumably, Clippers fans), hating the Lakers is hating Los Angeles, California, and everything it stands for - 80 degree days in the winter, more physically fit and better looking people, higher degree of social conciousness, film and TV stars at Starbucks, cleaner homeless folks etc.

Whatever is "wrong" with the Left Coast, La La Land, the Land of Fruits & Nuts, and all of the other pejoratives used to describe Los Angeles, the disdain and animus is displayed in hatred for the Lakers. Not so with respect to the Dodgers, Rams, Chargers, Kings or Bruins. Maybe a little bit for the Football Trojans, but not to the same degree.

One of my most obnoxious friends called about an hour after the trade deadline from Ohio to crow about "Magic's failure." My office is in walking distance of USC, so I ran outside, gathered 6 random girls for a photo and texted it to him. He texted back a middle finger icon.
i tried to explain this to a few Lgers a few years back. That Laker hate that you hear is L.A. hate thru and thru.You hear from some of our own supposed radio talking heads. thats because these guys were not born nor raised in L.A. they are from other markets (new york or some where in the midwest where they grew up with that laker/L.A. hater mentality.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Level of Hatred Around the Country

splashmtn wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

i tried to explain this to a few Lgers a few years back. That Laker hate that you hear is L.A. hate thru and thru.You hear from some of our own supposed radio talking heads. thats because these guys were not born nor raised in L.A. they are from other markets (new york or some where in the midwest where they grew up with that laker/L.A. hater mentality.

100%

Look how happy everyone is to have AD sitting out a year instead of being a Laker. NOrmally if people went out for a year like WAll due to injury, it's a tragedy. BUt as long as LAkers dont win! Ill say it again and again...the veto Fd us. you know we'd still be in the CP3 era of Lakers right now had that gone through?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

Yankees get the same hate.

Lakers and Yankees have the most fans. No matter where you go, you're going to have Lakers and Yankees fans all around you and it creates a rivalry among the fans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

In my experience, the hate of the Patriots is much stronger than the hate of the Lakers. Honestly, the Lakers have been so bad for so long, it significantly weakened the hate.....it will get worse if we start truly contending....just like it will for the Cowboys, Yankees, etc.

All of America kind of rooted for the Cubs....then they won, and most of that secondary love from around the country vanished. Winning breeds envy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Level of Hatred Around the Country

splashmtn wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I do not think that is true at all....I have always heard people that "hate New Yorkers" and people that "hate New Englanders".....but on the East Coast, I never hear anyone with a special dislike of any regional population East of the Mississippi. It is just too far away....fairly irrelevant for people in the East.....just not large enough of a migrated population base to form such strong opinions about.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

The hate for everything L.A. and SoCal speaks to how divided our nation is. It's not just conservative vs liberal, it's the L.A. and NYC areas vs small town America. It's us coastal liberal elites vs the so-called "real Americans".

People in middle America hate NYC, but not as much as they hate us. They hate us because we're too liberal, we're a bunch of snowflakes, we're lazy, self-entitled, we sleep until 12pm, we have no morals or ethics, actors and musicians are too outspoken about politics, we're all smug and pretentious, etc.

My attitude is, if they hate us, then I hate them and they can go F themselves. F the south, F Philadelphia and F Boston! We're everything you say we are. As Lebron once said, they'll wake up tomorrow and have to deal with their loser lives, while it will be 65 degrees and sunny here.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't want it any other way. Make em all eat CROW when we hoist the next O'Brien!
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject:

You have TOO Many friends/people that have your number if you recieved 3 to 4 hours worth of texts and phone calls
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject:

The problem with LA is mostly due to transplants coming here and being obnoxious.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject:

I think that it's pretty obvious that other teams/people just hate the Lakers. One of the reasons I was a Kobe fan was his ability to recognize the hate, and turn it into fuel to come at the haters and absolutely destroy them. I liked the "us vs the world I'm going to light you up" mentality. It's the same type of mentality I hope the Kuzma's, Ball's, Ingrams develop now in response to the New Orleans bs. That organization tried to go out of their way to make the Lakers look pathetic to get back at them for what they perceive as tampering. Stick it to the rest of the world.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by JeezyXVII on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
renzo1200
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject:

They’re so jealous of the typhus outbreak in LA right now. Oh not to mention all the hepatitus outbreaks, 50 square blocks of skid row looking straight out of Venezuela. 60k homeless on the streets.

But hey we got the amazing beaches which are - oh closed due to the bacteria runoff from the piles of s**t clogging up sewage drains all over the city. Add to that the worst air pollution and traffic congestion. With LA and SF leading the charge - Cali is dead last in quality of life.

I know. I live here 😂
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Level of Hatred Around the Country

Dr. Laker wrote:
My office is in walking distance of USC, so I ran outside, gathered 6 random girls for a photo and texted it to him. He texted back a middle finger icon.

lmao nice
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: