Why you don't make trade proposals public
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why you don't make trade proposals public

socalsp3 wrote:
You alienate the players you planned to trade. NOP made the offers public. But Maginka made a big mistake by adding fuel to fire. Mitch did a poor job with FA signings but he did a better job keeping a tight lip for this reason. It feels like amateur hour again with Maginka.

I much prefer the Mitch Model of Tight Communication, the ideal being that nobody could ever know what the Lakers would do until it was done.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
jg77 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It was a major coup d'état by Klutch to try to take on an organization to force a trade to the hated Lakers.

Klutch thought the way to do this was through a series of scorched earth leaks (i.e. Boston isn't a favored destination, AD's dad, etc.).

This served to only embolden and piss off the Pels it seems.

Yep. But this is not over. It will get worse for them in the summer. Klutch will be back with more threats if AD's desire is still to play for the Lakers. Threats of one year rentals. Threats he only wants to play for the Lakers. They probably won't care but the teams that want to trade for him might think twice.

I wouldn't be so confident.

All it will do is possibly punt another full year of LBJ, which begs the question of why we signed him in the first place if we were going to punt 2 of the 3 guaranteed years.

Because we thought nobody wanted to team up with him cause he was in Cleveland but maybe the reason is because he's a snake...just sayin'.

I have my personal theory that we turned PG13 down (or didn't pursue him strongly) after there were indications that AD would sign with Klutch (September 2018) and wanted to try to force a trade to the Lakers. With PG13's max, would have been a bit tough to match all the salaries up.

But I have no proof of this theory at all. Personally I would have gone with PG13 as I've been a long time proponent of his.

I doubt your theory is correct. Magic wanted Stars desperately, and I can't imagine he would have turned down George if he had a chance to get him
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Theseus wrote:
This is just professionalism 101, and sounds like it wasn't the Lakers fault at all.

However, when you see all the leaks coming out from the Hornets, you have to question their willingness to deal with us. Also, there should be a cost for them leaking so much info to the press, we should have pulled away from talks. Instead, it seems like we upped our offer. We needed to do damage control. Remember how bad Pau/Lamar played after they learned we tried and failed to trade them? Those guys were veterans who played on championship teams, yet it affected their focus. Imagine what it does to a young team.

You said Hornets!

I preferred the old franchise personally. Pelicans sounds like an old bar sailors hang out in.

Haha yeah I always screw that up. I wonder if I'll ever get it straight
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject:

All was wrong.

1. As a GM or as President of BB Ops, or both, you don't let agents dictate the development of a negotiation.

2. You don't get the offers go public, AND if it was not from your side, you go out and completely deny it.

3. You inmediately take credit away from the supposedly Laker reporter throwing those leaks from NO.

4. Finally, You don't tell Tania, the GODFATHER offer, geeesh!!
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

Someone on the radio said something like "Magic plays poker with his cards up" which really seems to be the case. In his position he needs a filter. It's fine as a salesman to blurt that stuff out. It's toxic when you're brokering deals.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So has Danny Ainge poisoned and tainted the team by assuring the Pels that everyone is on the table? Or does that only apply to Magic and LBJ?

Tatum has already offered himself up in a trade for AD.

So it should be fine with our YUTES, right?

I agree the young guys need to suck it up and show everyone that they are more valuable than they are perceived. Also can see why there could be some issues in the locker room.

I think the difference is that for the Lakers it seems like it's LeBron (whether or not it's true) that wants "my guys" gone because Rich Paul/Klutch are his organization and the obvious AD/Klutch relationship.

If Kyrie had a management company with AD as a client and then AD comes out before the trade deadline and makes a surprise announcement that he wants to be traded to the Celtics, Tatum might feel a little differently.
BK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

“I got a phone call from Rich Paul. I heard craziness was going on inside the Lakers organization. It was said to be “armageddon”. LeBron & Rich Paul were not happy w/ the LAL & the LAL were not happy w/ LeBron & Rich Paul.”

@RicBucher on Bucher & Friends

“LAL felt like LBJ/Rich Paul were the ones who leaked all the names of players in the deal going to Pels. They felt like they were being forced to move these guys by Klutch because of the leak.”

Via https://twitter.com/LakersRaw

What if Klutch was the one behind the leaks and not the Pelicans?
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject:

BK wrote:
Quote:

“I got a phone call from Rich Paul. I heard craziness was going on inside the Lakers organization. It was said to be “armageddon”. LeBron & Rich Paul were not happy w/ the LAL & the LAL were not happy w/ LeBron & Rich Paul.”

“LAL felt like LBJ/Rich Paul were the ones who leaked all the names of players in the deal going to Pels. They felt like they were being forced to move these guys by Klutch because of the leak.”

There's no reason for them to be. Bucher is not a reliable source for Laker news
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

All it will do is possibly punt another full year of LBJ, which begs the question of why we signed him in the first place if we were going to punt 2 of the 3 guaranteed years.

Pretty simple. We signed Lebron because he's a GOAT level guy still playing at an MVP level.

And we've tried to land a couple of other stars (George, Davis) but so far we've struck out. We'll try again next season.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
So has Danny Ainge poisoned and tainted the team by assuring the Pels that everyone is on the table? Or does that only apply to Magic and LBJ?

Yo, Skippy, don't you sleep? Seems like you've been on the forum non-stop for the last 24 hours playing devil's advocate to everything other than what you believe. Give it a rest.

Why don't you give the calling others by an insult a rest?

Yinoma, your name is Skippy?
And you're from Connecticut?
Do you drive a yacht to work?
HaHa! Just kiddin counselor!

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
jg77 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
It was a major coup d'état by Klutch to try to take on an organization to force a trade to the hated Lakers.

Klutch thought the way to do this was through a series of scorched earth leaks (i.e. Boston isn't a favored destination, AD's dad, etc.).

This served to only embolden and piss off the Pels it seems.

Yep. But this is not over. It will get worse for them in the summer. Klutch will be back with more threats if AD's desire is still to play for the Lakers. Threats of one year rentals. Threats he only wants to play for the Lakers. They probably won't care but the teams that want to trade for him might think twice.

I wouldn't be so confident.

Because we thought nobody wanted to team up with him cause he was in Cleveland but maybe the reason is because he's a snake...just sayin'.

I have my personal theory that we turned PG13 down (or didn't pursue him strongly) after there were indications that AD would sign with Klutch (September 2018) and wanted to try to force a trade to the Lakers. With PG13's max, would have been a bit tough to match all the salaries up.

But I have no proof of this theory at all. Personally I would have gone with PG13 as I've been a long time proponent of his.

I doubt your theory is correct. Magic wanted Stars desperately, and I can't imagine he would have turned down George if he had a chance to get him

I was on the same theory as Yin, but I think it's just that LA made a choice between Klutch and Mintz, wittingly or unwittingly. They did everything possible to disrespect his agent and fellow clients, while laying out the red carpet for Klutch. Not sure I'd want part of that either.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
BK wrote:
Quote:

There's no reason for them to be. Bucher is not a reliable source for Laker news

I tend to agree man.
Why would RP do that? If he was inserting himself it is to get the best team possible around LBJ, and gutting the team does not serve his purpose.
I think RP's interests and the Lakers align on this.
Plus Butcher is a punk.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but there is major anti Laker , and anti LeBron sentiment at ESPN and with the media in general.
But man, if this is true, damn! Not a good situation at all.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
BK wrote:
Quote:

This is merely someone doing their best to create problems in LakerLand. Bucher knows nothing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: