CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

Plot Twist: He's black!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-analyst-surprised-accusing-fox-184324216.html

Awkward...
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Lol that is so bad there is literally no excuse for it. Expecting all the right wing nutjobs go foam at the mouth on this one.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Lol that is so bad there is literally no excuse for it. Expecting all the right wing nutjobs go foam at the mouth on this one.

Everyone should be shaking their heads at this.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Shaking head, but it’s pretty damned funny.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Plenty of nutjobs on both sides to go around.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Especially here.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

ringfinger wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-analyst-surprised-accusing-fox-184324216.html

Awkward...
awkward...sure. but perhaps he was spilling that white male privileged talking points. if that were the case, and they were on the radio(no visuals.) then of course she would say that. and that actually is more of the point than what he actually looks like. Because the point is, what you're saying out of your mouth sounds like white male privilege. and we know Fox news has a bunch of non white hosts that sound like white males especially when the topic comes up about race or sex(in regards to women). I've heard black men, black women, white women, sound like white guys when talking about those topics. and its shameful.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...
awkward...sure. but perhaps he was spilling that white male privileged talking points. if that were the case, and they were on the radio(no visuals.) then of course she would say that. and that actually is more of the point than what he actually looks like. Because the point is, what you're saying out of your mouth sounds like white male privilege. and we know Fox news has a bunch of non white hosts that sound like white males especially when the topic comes up about race or sex(in regards to women). I've heard black men, black women, white women, sound like white guys when talking about those topics. and its shameful.

I might not agree with the black conservative guy’s view but you can’t just pigeon hole everybody by race, he should be allowed to present his view as a black man and not get attacked like that
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

Ummm... ok....

What you really mean is that privilege begets privilege? Noooooo =P
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject:

I love pnp's takes on race.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Facts.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Or his take on anything.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Who is pnp?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

Sure it's awkward, but it's just as wrong to hold up this one exchange and parade it around as a reason to say white privilege doesn't exist, as I am sure some will do.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

governator wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

I might not agree with the black conservative guy’s view but you can’t just pigeon hole everybody by race, he should be allowed to present his view as a black man and not get attacked like that

It is possible to be a person of color and also have regressive views that put you in the same camp as those who have benefited from white privilege.

Which is to say, if a person of color is going to spout rhetoric like he's Tucker Carlson, he or she shouldn't be given a pass for that.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

Sure it's awkward, but it's just as wrong to hold up this one exchange and parade it around as a reason to say white privilege doesn't exist, as I am sure some will do.

I don't think that's what's happening necessarily. It's being paraded around because a) it's pretty funny and b) it highlights how terms like that, among others more and more these days, are weaponized as a debate tactic in an attempt to shut the other person down and just end the conversation right there.

This guy happened to be black and so it stands out, but if he were white, people would think ohhhh yeaaahhhh woke, even though it is clear she just threw it out there in desperation.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

I don't think that's what's happening necessarily. It's being paraded around because a) it's pretty funny and b) it highlights how terms like that, among others more and more these days, are weaponized as a debate tactic in an attempt to shut the other person down and just end the conversation right there.

This guy happened to be black and so it stands out, but if he were white, people would think ohhhh yeaaahhhh woke, even though it is clear she just threw it out there in desperation.

Of course, this is a tactic utilized far more by the right than the left. Hell, you could say it was invented by William F. Buckley Jr. and carried into modernity by Fox News. Debating people like this is a losing endeavor from the start.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

Of course, this is a tactic utilized far more by the right than the left. Hell, you could say it was invented by William F. Buckley Jr. and carried into modernity by Fox News. Debating people like this is a losing endeavor from the start.

Well, not interested in a who started it but I very much agree with your final point.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

Don Draper wrote:
governator wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

It is possible to be a person of color and also have regressive views that put you in the same camp as those who have benefited from white privilege.

Which is to say, if a person of color is going to spout rhetoric like he's Tucker Carlson, he or she shouldn't be given a pass for that.
thats all i was saying.

even though its kind of funny she didnt know that he was black. its actually a sad indictment on him to be honest. similar to how broke white republicans talk about tax cuts for the rich as if they are actually rich but then you find out they're not and you're sitting there like wait...so why are you spouting all of that rich guy rhetoric and you're not even benefiting from it? Actually you are being harmed by it. Makes no sense and those people need to be outed as not making any sense.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject:

There's a whole lotta folks who got a C+ in one feminist/queer/cultural theory class ten years ago and think they're Judith Butler.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

No, she through it out there because the black guy sounded like a white privileged white guy. I see you keep trying to tip toe around that point ring. See, i know when you posted this you never once thought someone would actually figure out the true reason why she assumed the guy was not black.
You thought the plot twist was that he was black. Nope, the plot twist is that he was a black guy sounding like a white privileged white guy
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

No, she through it out there because the black guy sounded like a white privileged white guy. I see you keep trying to tip toe around that point ring. See, i know when you posted this you never once thought someone would actually figure out the true reason why she assumed the guy was not black.
You thought the plot twist was that he was black. Nope, the plot twist is that he was a black guy sounding like a white privileged white guy

LOL. Well, apparently she has lowered the bar even further as you don't need to be white anymore to benefit from white privilege, you need only to "sound" white! Haha.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CNN Analyst Areva Martin Accuses Radio Host of Benefitting from White Privilege

ringfinger wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Awkward...

LOL. Well, apparently she has lowered the bar even further as you don't need to be white anymore to benefit from white privilege, you need only to "sound" white! Haha.
lol at you trying your hardest to miss the point. The point wasnt about his actual privilege, it was about his rhetoric.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: