THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1335, 1336, 1337 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Leah McElrath @leahmcelrath

Meaning:

The FBI hasn’t just been investigating whether the Trump campaign worked with the Kremlin.

The FBI has ALSO been investigating whether Trump himself is an actual operative on behalf of Russia.

his Russian spy bride is his handler...just like Marina and Lee

And the other implication is that they weren't just investigating what happened during the campaign, they investigated whether AS PRESIDENT he was acting as a Russian agent. Boom.

BOOM
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Tulsi Gabbard just announced. I disagree with a few of her positions but shes not a terrible candidate.

She's pro-Assad and among her fans are Steve Bannon, Russian Times and David Duke. Make of that what you will.

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/822241044267958272

Tulsi Gabbard Is Not Your Friend

Yet the starry-eyed anointment of Gabbard has obscured the more unsavory aspects of her politics — so unsavory, in fact, that White House adviser Steve Bannon has reportedly spoken well of her. From her vigorous opposition to the Iran nuclear deal to her obsession with “radical Islam” to her love for the far-right Indian leader Narendra Modi, Gabbard is far from the progressive hero many assume her to be.

Conservative Beginnings

Despite her progressive image today, Gabbard has conservative roots. Her father is Mike Gabbard, a former Honolulu city councilman, state senator, and high profile anti-gay activist who led a campaign against same-sex marriage in Hawaii in the 1990s. He founded the educational nonprofit Stop Promoting Homosexuality and bought himself a show on a local radio station to denounce LGBT people.

Early in her career, Gabbard took after her father. She opposed abortion and supported a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman. After Honolulu Magazine emailed her father to ask about his former ties to a conservative Hare Krishna splinter group for a 2004 profile, it was Gabbard who replied angrily, accusing the magazine of “acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case [her father’s opponent].” The same year, she used her platform as a state representative to testify against civil unions, calling the claim that they were different from same-sex marriage “dishonest, cowardly, and extremely disrespectful to the people of Hawaii,” who had voted in favor of Constitutional Amendment 2 in 1998, empowering the legislature to withhold marriage from same-sex couples.

“As Democrats, we should be representing the views of the people, not a small number of homosexual extremists,” she said at the time.

She's apparently reversed herself, but her history is going to be a liability for her attempts to champion herself as a true "progressive".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Tulsi Gabbard just announced. I disagree with a few of her positions but shes not a terrible candidate.

She's pro-Assad and among her fans are Steve Bannon, Russian Times and David Duke. Make of that what you will.

https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/822241044267958272

Tulsi Gabbard Is Not Your Friend

Yet the starry-eyed anointment of Gabbard has obscured the more unsavory aspects of her politics — so unsavory, in fact, that White House adviser Steve Bannon has reportedly spoken well of her. From her vigorous opposition to the Iran nuclear deal to her obsession with “radical Islam” to her love for the far-right Indian leader Narendra Modi, Gabbard is far from the progressive hero many assume her to be.

Conservative Beginnings

Despite her progressive image today, Gabbard has conservative roots. Her father is Mike Gabbard, a former Honolulu city councilman, state senator, and high profile anti-gay activist who led a campaign against same-sex marriage in Hawaii in the 1990s. He founded the educational nonprofit Stop Promoting Homosexuality and bought himself a show on a local radio station to denounce LGBT people.

Early in her career, Gabbard took after her father. She opposed abortion and supported a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman. After Honolulu Magazine emailed her father to ask about his former ties to a conservative Hare Krishna splinter group for a 2004 profile, it was Gabbard who replied angrily, accusing the magazine of “acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case [her father’s opponent].” The same year, she used her platform as a state representative to testify against civil unions, calling the claim that they were different from same-sex marriage “dishonest, cowardly, and extremely disrespectful to the people of Hawaii,” who had voted in favor of Constitutional Amendment 2 in 1998, empowering the legislature to withhold marriage from same-sex couples.

“As Democrats, we should be representing the views of the people, not a small number of homosexual extremists,” she said at the time.

She's apparently reversed herself, but her history is going to be a liability for her attempts to champion herself as a true "progressive".

That article seems to exaggerate the concerns about Gabbard. As a progressive I agree we should stay away from interventionism, but there may be pockets so to speak in which we should be aggressive in fighting terrorism.

That article said that she blames Islam for terrorism. I may not be an expert on Islam, but unlike other progressives I'm not exactly a fan of that faith because many of them seem to have violent and illiberal beliefs. It does seem there's some relationship between Muslim theocracy and the hate they have for us and our ideals and way of life.

She does seem to be a real solid liberal on social and economic issues here at home, which should be heavily prioritized over foreign policy. There will probably be several progressive candidates for president, and it will be interesting to see who separates themselves from the pack and how they do it.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Kamala Harris was on Morning Joe this morning. I thought she was really good. She was intense, knowledgeable, persuasive. She's my favorite Democrat now and I hope she runs and wins the nomination.

I have to admit, she is strong and that was a great interview, and compared to Ocasio a little older, more mature. I know she has a little baggage, but who doesn’t.

What's her baggage? I haven't really researched her history.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

That article said that she blames Islam for terrorism. I may not be an expert on Islam, but unlike other progressives I'm not exactly a fan of that faith because many of them seem to have violent and illiberal beliefs. It does seem there's some relationship between Muslim theocracy and the hate they have for us and our ideals and way of life.

You do realise that Indonesia is the largest muslim country on the planet? Do you really think Indonesians hate Americans? I'd suggest you take a little trip to Bali. It would likely be very eye opening for you. Some Muslims in the Middle East dislike Americans because they got tired of 70 plus years of American sponsored warfare that kept killing their mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, cousins, aunt, uncles, and grandparents. Even then, most in the middle east still though of America fondly, but just reached a breaking point because it seemed that the American sponsored death wasn't going to ever abate. Americans would feel pretty much the same about any entity that spend some 70 years engaged in sponsored warfare against the US that resulted in the endless deaths of 4 million Americans. Heck, all it took for Americans to reach that level of hate was flying a couple of planes into buildings.

While it shouldn't be lost that any religion is a pretty stupid amalgamation of fantasy-speak, Muslims aren't any more motivated towards violence than any of the other fantasy practices. Now if you wanted to say "Religionists seem to have violent and illiberal beliefs.", well then you'd be onto something since we've a few thousand years of history that clearly supports that assertion. And I'd agree that ridding the planet of religionists would make life on Earth a lot more peaceful...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Kamala Harris was on Morning Joe this morning. I thought she was really good. She was intense, knowledgeable, persuasive. She's my favorite Democrat now and I hope she runs and wins the nomination.

I have to admit, she is strong and that was a great interview, and compared to Ocasio a little older, more mature. I know she has a little baggage, but who doesn’t.

When she was Attorney General for California, she tried to appeal a dismissed case where the police office entered a fraudulent case confession on the grounds that it wasn’t “outrageous” because it didn’t involve physical brutality. While that’s true, it did involve an officer producing a false confession in order to win a case. Completely unethical...what was she thinking?

She also dated SF’s infamous politician Willie Brown and some say used his political capital to catapult her own political career. (Whatever.)

She hobnobs with big donors. In an era of grass roots anti-establishment, social media stars like Obama, Trump, and Beto, she is more old school and some may question how beholden she will be to those big donors.

She is pro sanctuary cities, amnesty, etc., all viewed by Californians as positives, but she also had a program where she let undocumented immigrants who should have been deported for dealing drugs erase their criminal records instead by taking a job training program. One of them ended up stealing a purse from a woman after being accepted by the program and ended up driving his SUV into her fracturing her skull. I can imagine a Willie Hortonesque ad campaign against her on an issue we know energizes Trumps base.

Like I said, she’s strong...compared to Trumps skeletons she’s a saint, but she will have to deal with these issues at some point if she’s the nominee.

Last edited by Surfitall on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

She hobnobs with big donors. In an era of grass roots anti-establishment, social media stars like Obama, Trump, and Beto, she is more old school and some may question how beholden she will be to those big donors.

You really think Obama wasn't?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Oh, he became very beholden to them, but he didn’t start out that way. Obama was the first Presidential candidate to turn fundraising on its head. Over 6 million people contributed under $100 to his campaign before his first term. That was unprecedented. Of course, Obama ran when citizens weren’t as anti establishment yet, so that part really wasn’t as applicable to him.

Part of Trumps appeal was that he “couldn’t be bought”. That was part of Bernie’s appeal as well but for different reasons.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Oh, he became very beholden to them, but he didn’t start out that way. Obama was the first Presidential candidate to turn fundraising on its head. Over 6 million people contributed under $100 to his campaign before his first term. That was unprecedented. Of course, Obama ran when citizens weren’t as anti establishment yet, so that part really wasn’t as applicable to him.

Part of Trumps appeal was that he “couldn’t be bought by anyone without a slavic surname”. That was part of Bernie’s appeal as well but for different reasons.

Corrected for accuracy.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Don’t know if you all heard, but Donald “I Know More About Technology Than Anyone” Trump said during his border visit that wheels are older than walls. As wrong as he is about, just wait until he sees how much better wheels are than walls.

Nippy wheeled robot speeds straight up a wall without problems
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
slavavov wrote:

You do realise that Indonesia is the largest muslim country on the planet? Do you really think Indonesians hate Americans? I'd suggest you take a little trip to Bali. It would likely be very eye opening for you. Some Muslims in the Middle East dislike Americans because they got tired of 70 plus years of American sponsored warfare that kept killing their mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, cousins, aunt, uncles, and grandparents. Even then, most in the middle east still though of America fondly, but just reached a breaking point because it seemed that the American sponsored death wasn't going to ever abate. Americans would feel pretty much the same about any entity that spend some 70 years engaged in sponsored warfare against the US that resulted in the endless deaths of 4 million Americans. Heck, all it took for Americans to reach that level of hate was flying a couple of planes into buildings.

While it shouldn't be lost that any religion is a pretty stupid amalgamation of fantasy-speak, Muslims aren't any more motivated towards violence than any of the other fantasy practices. Now if you wanted to say "Religionists seem to have violent and illiberal beliefs.", well then you'd be onto something since we've a few thousand years of history that clearly supports that assertion. And I'd agree that ridding the planet of religionists would make life on Earth a lot more peaceful...

Obviously there's different types or sects of Muslims, and some harbor no real ill feelings towards us. The ones in Africa seem like OK people who pose no threat. However, the ones in the Middle East seem evil. Obviously some of that is because of our hawkish, interventionist foreign policy, but it can't just be that. I've heard polls that said that majorities of Muslims believe that the penalty for leaving the religion should be death, that people who make a drawing of their prophet should be physically punished and so on. No true progressive should give them a pass on that.

When we combine that with the fact that religionists, as you called them, have hateful feelings towards anyone who doesn't agree with their theological views, it's not hard to understand why Middle Eastern Muslims hate us. Even worse, the governments of nations like Iran fund and harbor large terrorist organizations. It seems to be a combination of geopolitics and a mutated version of Muslim theocracy.

Just look at some of the most narcissistic evangelicals here at home and the hate that they preach and their neocon foreign policy views, and it's easy to see a parallel.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject:

speaking of donors, another male hooker died at Ed Buck's house

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/serial-predator-l-writer-has-been-sounding-alarm-ed-buck-n957776
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
She is pro sanctuary cities, amnesty, etc., all viewed by Californians as positives, but she also had a program where she let undocumented immigrants who should have been deported for dealing drugs erase their criminal records instead by taking a job training program. One of them ended up stealing a purse from a woman after being accepted by the program and ended up driving his SUV into her fracturing her skull. I can imagine a Willie Hortonesque ad campaign against her on an issue we know energizes Trumps base.

Like I said, she’s strong...compared to Trumps skeletons she’s a saint, but she will have to deal with these issues at some point if she’s the nominee.

Ya that sounds like something Trump could latch onto. I do believe the primary will be tougher than the General Election. But I understand the concern.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
BREAKING

F.B.I. Opened Inquiry Into Whether Trump Was Secretly Working on Behalf of Russia

Following President Trump’s firing of James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, the bureau grew increasingly concerned about whether the president’s actions constituted anti-American activity.CreditCreditSarah Silbiger/The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html

The FBI is Reaching. Why would they have concerns? This guy clearly hates everything Russian.

1st wife - Ivana Zelníčková
3rdwife - Melania Knavs (Knavenskaya)

Children:

Ivanka
Donald Ivan
Erik Frederik
Barron Wilhelm
Tiffany Ariana

Declared Heroes:

Vladimir
Constantine
Ivan
Mikhail
Misha
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry gang, I didn't last night, nor do I today, see much in the NYT story on opening an investigation on Trump and Russia. We all know what happened and I think the story would be if they did not open an investigation.

Now, if they find something worthy of indictment or impeachment, then we have a story. If they do not, all we will hear from the head of the Republican Party and his flock is how they found nothing, therefore he is exonerated.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I'm sorry gang, I didn't last night, nor do I today, see much in the NYT story on opening an investigation on Trump and Russia. We all know what happened and I think the story would be if they did not open an investigation.

Now, if they find something worthy of indictment or impeachment, then we have a story. If they do not, all we will hear from the head of the Republican Party and his flock is how they found nothing, therefore he is exonerated.

Not like GOP and Republicans even care
House majority leader to colleagues in 2016: ‘I think Putin pays’ Trump
Quote:

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016, exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016, exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

Do you really believe McCarthy (maybe we should ban members with that name from congress) would state that today, in public? Until, or if, the tide turns, as it finally did with Nixon--though here we had tapes--the Republicans will continue to be party first and country second.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ribeye wrote:

Quote:

Nope they don't care. Their base is either hateful, greedy, or stupid. Just as long as you stick it those libtards they're ok with Trump screwing them and the country.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
Wilt wrote:

The Atlantic's review of her memoir expounds on what Surftail posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/01/kamala-harris-truths-we-hold-review/579430/
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Julian Castro announces he's running. This is going to be a huge field.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject:

It'll be difficult to say anything meaningful with perhaps 20 people on the stage at the first debate.

BTW, the first debate takes place in less than 6 months.

Hopefully some will drop out soon after that.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It'll be difficult to say anything meaningful with perhaps 20 people on the stage at the first debate.

BTW, the first debate takes place in less than 6 months.

Hopefully some will drop out soon after that.

Yeah, it will be something like, first, all the candidates will make an opening statement, and now . . . it's time for closing statements.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Listening to major news today gives me the impression Trump is in big trouble. MSNBC is reporting Mueller is investigating Trump being a knowing or unknowing Russian operative. I hear whispers of treason. I think the only thing keeping law enforcement off of Trump is the Oval Office. If he weren't president I think he'd be indicted or in jail.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Listening to major news today gives me the impression Trump is in big trouble. MSNBC is reporting Mueller is investigating Trump being a knowing or unknowing Russian operative. I hear whispers of treason. I think the only thing keeping law enforcement off of Trump is the Oval Office. If he weren't president I think he'd be indicted or in jail.

Actually, I think ribeye's take is probably more the reality. The report is essentially in the past tense, indicating that there probably wasn't much there in that regard. And I have to believe that given how long ago this info was passed along, if a bomb shell like that existed and had corroborating evidence, that bomb would have gone off by now. I think this story is a non-starter. But we shall see.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the FBI investigation is referred to in the past tense because the Special Counsel took it over.

There was a period of time between Comey's firing and Mueller being appointed right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1335, 1336, 1337 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 1336 of 3663
Jump to: