Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves

Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves

LINK

Quote:
The CDC offered no explanation for why the American fertility rate is dropping so precipitously.

Experts say the decline isn’t due to a single cause, but rather a combination of several factors, including changing economics, delays in childbirth by women pursuing jobs and education, the greater availability of contraception, and a decline in teen pregnancies.

Is this a good or bad trend? (relating to the thread title) Women are taking more control of their lives. Marrying later in life. Depending less on men. Marriage is on the decline also. This is a new era. Old ways are evolving.

Discuss

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves

jodeke wrote:
Americans aren't making enough babies to replace ourselves [snip]

Hence why any discussion on immigration but account for this trend.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

When smart countries like Germany & Sweden had to address this issue 30 years ago, they knew that they needed a certain number of workers & taxpayers to sustain their level of economic output. They knew they needed immigration, so smartly invested even more resources in educating their populations so as to offset the predictable clashes arising for needing to import brains. Dumb countries like the UK & US, failed to prepare for these eventualities and now both ave to import brains and muscle and are experiencing the predictable issues with their under-eduated indigineous populatios.

To sustain economic growth, you need to birth more productive bodies. Doesn't matter where this productive bodies arebirthe, as long as the chosen scenario is adequately prepared for.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Need to produce understanding educated citizens. Because welfare dependcy is a vicious cycle when it comes to immigration. Don't try to argue, I've seen that (bleep) in my family and in my community. Also, remember, we Latinos, tend to have children at a young age.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Dwight doing his part to help!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Dwight doing his part to help!

Yeah. He and Shawn Kemp tried to reverse the productivity trends on their own.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Need to produce understanding educated citizens. Because welfare dependcy is a vicious cycle when it comes to immigration. Don't try to argue, I've seen that (bleep) in my family and in my community. Also, remember, we Latinos, tend to have children at a young age.

I suppose we could all assume you’ve made a solid, statistically relevant study, and have the ability to analyze what you were looking at with a highly educated, brilliant mind, and that the rest of your posts on this and, well, any subject are merely some quirky thing you do where you pretend you don’t understand the subject?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Don't try to argue

Has this ever worked in a conversation with anyone who had the county's permission to leave his own house?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I think overpopulation is one of the world's biggest problems, and it may be part of the reason why we don't have a middle class anymore, since there's too much demand for good paying jobs. Plus it puts such a strain on the environment and natural resources.

In some ways this may actually be a good thing.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I prefer to let my great-great-great-great grandchildren worry about that.

If the US runs low on people in 1 or 2 hundred years, they can always just tear down the Trump wall...(LOL)
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I think overpopulation is one of the world's biggest problems, and it may be part of the reason why we don't have a middle class anymore, since there's too much demand for good paying jobs. Plus it puts such a strain on the environment and natural resources.

In some ways this may actually be a good thing.

Yes, overpopulation should be a concern, but the the "be fruitful and multiply" crowd don't want to hear it. I don't know if the US population is much, if any, a factor in the change to our middle class. Of course technology and mechanization are part of it, but with the Reagan Revolution, and I submit that we still are living it, we have seen the the top ten percent's share of the income go from approximately 34% (from '42 - '81) to an ever increasing share beginning in 1982, (~44% from '82 - '12) that increased to 50% in 2012 (the last of the data that I have handy). This means that for 30 years, the top ten percent have received about 10 points more of the share, or nearly 30% more. That adds up rather nicely for them.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
When smart countries like Germany & Sweden had to address this issue 30 years ago, they knew that they needed a certain number of workers & taxpayers to sustain their level of economic output. They knew they needed immigration, so smartly invested even more resources in educating their populations so as to offset the predictable clashes arising for needing to import brains. Dumb countries like the UK & US, failed to prepare for these eventualities and now both ave to import brains and muscle and are experiencing the predictable issues with their under-eduated indigineous populatios.

To sustain economic growth, you need to birth more productive bodies. Doesn't matter where this productive bodies arebirthe, as long as the chosen scenario is adequately prepared for.

Another example is Japan which has a tight immigration law aka minimal immigration... it’s population decline is even more accelerated compared to US
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: