paying a gardener
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: paying a gardener

is it typical to pay a gardener on a per visit basis or flat monthly fee? Been going back and forth with my gardener because he wants to come twice a month in the winter instead of 4 times a month but still get paid the same monthly fee
phayze one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

So he has previously been coming weekly, now wants to come every other week, and get the same monthly rate? What does he consider "Winter" (assuming you're in California)? Maybe you can meet in the middle.

I pay mine once per month and he comes every other week, but that is how it was set up from the beginning.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I make a payment once a month but the monthly payment is a just a total of the charges for the weekly visits.

Your gardener wants to do 50% of the work but still take 100% of your money.

Fire his ass.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I make a payment once a month but the monthly payment is a just a total of the charges for the weekly visits.

Fire his ass.

Yep. You may be paying him on a monthly basis, but that is the frequency with which you pay him and has nothing to do with the frequency or volume of work he is doing.

Look at it this way. Some people get paid weekly, some people get paid bi-weekly and others get monthly. They may have different payroll periods, but they are still getting paid for they weekly work.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Just get another quote from another gardener or more then decide if he's worth it.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I pay monthly for weekly service. He usually notifies me when he is going on vacation and I still pay him the same amount. In my opinion, the monthly amount is ridiculously low...so low than when he told me how much to take care of our yard I told him no and then offered to double it. He seemed confused (yeah, I guess it’s not normal) but all are happy with the outcome. Even at double the amount is ridiculously low.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject:

FTP
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I also pay monthly and the Gardner comes weekly, if he comes bi-weekly it is a different rate, not 50% less, maybe 30% less, that's why I have him come weekly, for $70/month (just went up from $65/month) it's a steal for front & back lawns..
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject:

1) Are you satisfied with the work of your gardener?
2) Are you satisfied with status of your lawn with bi-weekly winter visits?
3) Do you want to go through the process of developing a relationship with a new potential gardner?

Since we aren't talking about any additional costs above what you were expecting to pay, it would seem the above questions are the only pertinent ones. Which ever way you decide to go, get your next contract in writing so neither you nor the garner are confused as to expectations in the future. Personally, when I'm satisfied with the work of a contractor, I don't really get into nickel and diming the relationship, but I understand that others have a different point of view.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
I pay monthly for weekly service. He usually notifies me when he is going on vacation and I still pay him the same amount. In my opinion, the monthly amount is ridiculously low...so low than when he told me how much to take care of our yard I told him no and then offered to double it. He seemed confused (yeah, I guess it’s not normal) but all are happy with the outcome. Even at double the amount is ridiculously low.

Same. I have a wrap around yard and a front yard, they come weekly, and it’s $60/month. I have a corner lot so they trim my shrubs, prune flowers, and sweep the patio.

I don’t offer to pay more on the monthly, but I give the two guys who do the work $100 tip each around Christmas.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject:

I pay mine monthly and have no problem with that or him. You see, Sacramento is the City of Trees, and with trees come leaves, lots and lots of leaves. He might be here longer on a winter day than a summer one.

Also, since we are on the subject, how many pay their gardener, or others, a Christmas bonus--as I notice this broached above?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I pay mine monthly and have no problem with that or him. You see, Sacramento is the City of Trees, and with trees come leaves, lots and lots of leaves. He might be here longer on a winter day than a summer one.

Also, since we are on the subject, how many pay their gardener, or others, a Christmas bonus--as I notice this broached above?

I do (I was the one who mentioned it) -- but I don't tip my postal worker.

The main reason I do it, is because these guys go above and beyond, IMO. I never ask them to sweep my patio. Or trim off the extra grass growth around a stoned walkway I have in my backyard. They just do it and have done it since I hired them.

I'd rather pay them $100 each as a bonus and have it go directly in their pocket, than to pay extra every month and have much of that excess go into the boss' pocket.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

Yes, $100 bonus.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

he's saying his monthly price is already factoring in that he has to come less in the winter when the grass and shrubs dont grow as fast.
But at 120/month I dont see any winter discount already built in that flat fee.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
he's saying his monthly price is already factoring in that he has to come less in the winter when the grass and shrubs dont grow as fast.
But at 120/month I dont see any winter discount already built in that flat fee.

I used to have a gardener, who I eventually let go, who was similar. Wanted a flat monthly fee regardless of how often he came, but mentioned that grass and shrubs would be in tip top shape.

Sadly, I also now no longer have a gardener, as his rate was better than the local running rates - which for my area seems to be around $100-$120/mo for 15-30 mins of effort once a week.

Agree with other poster - get another quote from a gardener and then level set.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Same topic in a different context -- we had our house re-piped last year, and re-scheduled our housekeeper visit, because it was on the same day. They wanted to charge us a surcharge for the following visit, for "extra dusting." Note that this is when we told them what we were doing and asked to reschedule, not when they came to do the work and saw the house.

My wife's response was, "On the weeks when there's less dust, do we get to pay you less?"

She told them they were using lots of plastic to prevent dust, and cleaning up carefully afterward, to avoid any issues, so there wouldn't be more dust anyway. But she would have stood firm on principle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

Fire his ass.
maybe or maybe not.

if i come cut your grass once per week. the following week will leave me with a lot less grass to cut. now all i need to do really is trim and run the mower over the grass once and quickly, then call it a day.

if i take off a week and do it every other week. I will have a full 2 weeks worth of growth to cut/mow, trim. its much harder and takes longer to cut higher grass and longer bushes/plants,flowers, etc. this is probably why he wants the same pay. in essence if he was charging you by the grass inch cut. he would cut the exact same amt of grass per inch doing it weekly or bi weekly or once per month.

Once per week - I cut 2 inches of grass for 4 weeks = 8 inches
Once every other week - 4 inches for one months time = 8 inches
Once per month - 8 inches
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

I always have given Christmas bonuses.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject:

Despite the behest of my mom every time she visits I do my own lawn lol.

Looks decent and is not too much effort every few weeks. Bought an electric mower and weed wacker off amazon a few years ago and they’ve been maintenance free.

Prob just being a cheapskate but it actually is kind of peaceful to do
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Same topic in a different context -- we had our house re-piped last year, and re-scheduled our housekeeper visit, because it was on the same day. They wanted to charge us a surcharge for the following visit, for "extra dusting." Note that this is when we told them what we were doing and asked to reschedule, not when they came to do the work and saw the house.

My wife's response was, "On the weeks when there's less dust, do we get to pay you less?"

She told them they were using lots of plastic to prevent dust, and cleaning up carefully afterward, to avoid any issues, so there wouldn't be more dust anyway. But she would have stood firm on principle.

It’s fair to wait until afterward to see what’s what, but if there had been lots of extra construction related debris, the principled thing would have been to pay a bit extra for that.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject:

Chauncey Gardener:

Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Looks decent and is not too much effort every few weeks. Bought an electric mower and weed wacker off amazon a few years ago and they’ve been maintenance free.

Prob just being a cheapskate but it actually is kind of peaceful to do

Not being cheap at all. And yes, there is peace to be found in the process. I do the fine tuning and pruning in my backyard and it provides very pleasant hours.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s fair to wait until afterward to see what’s what, but if there had been lots of extra construction related debris, the principled thing would have been to pay a bit extra for that.

If it had turned out that they did have to do extra work, I would have paid them more. But they didn't.

That said, when we hired this company, we were quoted a rate based on the square footage of the house, with no mention of extras. They aren't hourly employees -- they are paid by the service, and the amount of work required to deliver that service varies (probably falling within a normal curve). They want more pay if they think they have to do more (even if that's not the case), and as others have said related to gardening, they want the same pay if they have to do less work? The person who cuts my hair doesn't vary her price depending on how long my hair is when I come in.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I do my own too. Something satisfying about it. I don't see what's so damn hard about it...

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject:

I ran into a couple of the local gardeners and asked them this question, and got two different responses. One of them charges per trip, and it varies with what is asked and done, although the basic now and trim costs the same each time. The other one, more established, charges monthly flat rate. He does more in the summer and less in the winter but his clients like one harmonized bill that reflects this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: