Does anyone have the 2018 iPad Pro?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Does anyone have the 2018 iPad Pro?

I have an Air 2 and am thinking of upgrading, but I'm a bit concerned about the bending controversy, especially given the high pricetag. I also am just not really sure what the Pro improves on other than the Pen and maybe battery life.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject:

I like it but its too expensive for what it does. It has a better CPU than the regular ipad. Its supposed to be a competitor to the Microsoft Surface and its price point reflects that.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

Concur with lakersken80, it's a good upgrade with the larger screen and improved sound capabilities, however it is a bit pricey.

With this iPad Pro, the speed and responsiveness is slightly better than the previous Pro. When coming up from an Air 2 the improvement will be more noticeable.

Multi-tasking improvements - it's possible to re-size a youtube video to smaller window (picture-in-picture) and keep it playing on top while working other items. In the past, I recall the youtube player would stop as soon as I switched away and there wasn't an overlay capability (unless I'm missing something). Not sure if it will work for Netflix or Hulu since they have various protection schemes that affect playback.

They also changed the connector to USB-C which meant buying another adapter to work with their older chargers that I had around the house/car/office.

Found that the capacitive touch screen isn't as responsive as my older iPad Pros and iPad Airs, hopefully it is just an isolated case. While the 12.9" version has a full-size on-screen keyboard, the keys seem smaller than the usual iPad on-screen keyboard layout so it took a while to adjust.

Overall it's worth a look, they have a return policy if it doesn't meet expectations.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject:

What is the use case of it? Why do you want hexacore 2.38 GHz CPUs on a tablet? I really don't understand, you don't even need that much power on your regular laptop. I rarely use 100% of one core on my (4-year old) laptop, let alone all four cores... and when I go past 100% (close to 350%) it's because I'm running simulations which would be better served by a GPU anyway?

I guess if it's a laptop replacement a powerful GPU makes sense, at least if you plan on gaming or graphics editing or doing any other processing-heavy task. But not sure how the GPU compares to traditional laptops.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Concur with lakersken80, it's a good upgrade with the larger screen and improved sound capabilities, however it is a bit pricey.

With this iPad Pro, the speed and responsiveness is slightly better than the previous Pro. When coming up from an Air 2 the improvement will be more noticeable.

Multi-tasking improvements - it's possible to re-size a youtube video to smaller window (picture-in-picture) and keep it playing on top while working other items. In the past, I recall the youtube player would stop as soon as I switched away and there wasn't an overlay capability (unless I'm missing something). Not sure if it will work for Netflix or Hulu since they have various protection schemes that affect playback.

They also changed the connector to USB-C which meant buying another adapter to work with their older chargers that I had around the house/car/office.

Found that the capacitive touch screen isn't as responsive as my older iPad Pros and iPad Airs, hopefully it is just an isolated case. While the 12.9" version has a full-size on-screen keyboard, the keys seem smaller than the usual iPad on-screen keyboard layout so it took a while to adjust.

Overall it's worth a look, they have a return policy if it doesn't meet expectations.

Does the larger size get rid of the black borders on Netflix/Hulu? (By this I mean that the display aspect ratio doesn't fit a 9.7 inch screen, so the top and bottom of the screen are blacked out.) Not sure if the display aspect ratio is optimized for 11/12.9 inches.

Now that Apple has started to replace batteries on Air 2s for $106, I kind of have a hard time justifying upgrading unless the new model really does something groundbreaking. The only appealing thing is the stylus pen, really.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
What is the use case of it? Why do you want hexacore 2.38 GHz CPUs on a tablet? I really don't understand, you don't even need that much power on your regular laptop. I rarely use 100% of one core on my (4-year old) laptop, let alone all four cores... and when I go past 100% (close to 350%) it's because I'm running simulations which would be better served by a GPU anyway?

I guess if it's a laptop replacement a powerful GPU makes sense, at least if you plan on gaming or graphics editing or doing any other processing-heavy task. But not sure how the GPU compares to traditional laptops.

Agreed. I feel like there's a pretty high diminishing rate of returns on new iPad models. What can they really improved upon besides display quality, screen size, and memory? Speed isn't super important on a content consumption device.

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject:

i'd get the new Mackbook Air for couple hundred more dollars.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject:

I think the Ipad Pro is geared more for graphics designers as they would find that functionality more useful. If you are just using it to stream movies its a pretty expensive device for that, although the screen size beats their competitors.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:
/snip/

Does the larger size get rid of the black borders on Netflix/Hulu? (By this I mean that the display aspect ratio doesn't fit a 9.7 inch screen, so the top and bottom of the screen are blacked out.) Not sure if the display aspect ratio is optimized for 11/12.9 inches.

Now that Apple has started to replace batteries on Air 2s for $106, I kind of have a hard time justifying upgrading unless the new model really does something groundbreaking. The only appealing thing is the stylus pen, really.

Unfortunately, the 12.9" iPad Pro is still letterboxed with black bars on the top and bottom when running Hulu. I no longer have Netflix, but it will likely be the same result because the aspect ratio for the 12.9" is 4:3 (the 11" aspect ratio is 4.3:3). I don't know why Apple doesn't go with a 16:9 aspect ratio so that we can mirror these screens at full-size to a led tv. Even some iPhones are running at 16:9 aspect ratios.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject:

If they just put macos on the iPad it would be the best notebook ever.

Sure touch is not optimal on macOS but just imagining that horsepower and battery life with a full fledged os.

I’m a big Apple fan boy and have owned every single product but I think the day of trying to pass off what is esssntially a gigantic mobile phone as a productivity device is over. I love my iPad for what it does but I probably shouldn’t be spending nearly 1500 bucks on something I use to play chess and watch videos on. You can type emails too but that’s about it. It’s a joke to use it for business and you compromise a lot trying to use it for other workflows.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:
/snip/

Unfortunately, the 12.9" iPad Pro is still letterboxed with black bars on the top and bottom when running Hulu. I no longer have Netflix, but it will likely be the same result because the aspect ratio for the 12.9" is 4:3 (the 11" aspect ratio is 4.3:3). I don't know why Apple doesn't go with a 16:9 aspect ratio so that we can mirror these screens at full-size to a led tv. Even some iPhones are running at 16:9 aspect ratios.

I tried watching a movie on iTunes on both the 11 inch and the 12.9 inch today at the Apple Store. Both were letterboxed. It really almost defeats the purpose of having a larger screen...

What do you use he 12.9 inch for? Don’t you find it uncomfortable to hold in your hands?

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
K2 wrote:

I tried watching a movie on iTunes on both the 11 inch and the 12.9 inch today at the Apple Store. Both were letterboxed. It really almost defeats the purpose of having a larger screen...

What do you use he 12.9 inch for? Don’t you find it uncomfortable to hold in your hands?

Yes -- compared to the previous iPads, the extra weight (approx 0.5lb) and larger frame seemed unwieldy for about the first two weeks when holding it up to watch movies or to type up docs/emails. While I've gotten used to it, whenever I come across the earlier gen iPads, I still find them to be more comfortable than the current one.

Primarily using the 12.9 to replace my laptop, the additional screen real estate improves the experience over the earlier iPads with apps like Remote Desktop, which allow me to make quick edits to AutoCad files without going back to the office desktop.

For streaming applications, agree it's disappointing that it's still letterboxed with the 12.9, I was hoping that would have changed by now.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject:

How much is the Air 2 worth? I have one in 16gb never really used it and looking to sell it
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Might be worth it to wait a couple of months for a new Ipad to come out....will probably have incremental improvements to the current 9.7" inch model but it will still be improvements nevertheless.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject:

LKA wrote:
How much is the Air 2 worth? I have one in 16gb never really used it and looking to sell it

Only up to $75 for wifi via Gazelle
https://www.gazelle.com/ipad/ipad-air/2nd-gen/wifi/ipad-air-2-16gb-wifi/495716-gpid

Might try eBay instead for a more reasonable price.
LKA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
LKA wrote:

Only up to $75 for wifi via Gazelle
https://www.gazelle.com/ipad/ipad-air/2nd-gen/wifi/ipad-air-2-16gb-wifi/495716-gpid

Might try eBay instead for a more reasonable price.

Thanks
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject:

Did they ever fix the bending issue in the iPad Pro? Does anyone know if they are releasing a 2019 Pro or will the next update be in 2020?

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject:

I had the Air 2, cracked the screen and decided just to upgrade. Several things I learned: First, they would have given me $150 for mine if the screen weren’t cracked so badly. (I had the 128 GB model.) instead, they said they couldn’t accept it at all. Gazelle was willing to offer me a whopping $5.

Second, the iPad Pro seemed so much thicker than the Air 2, and cost so much more it just wasn’t worth it for my needs. I opted to just stick with the newest iPad with 128 GB.

The newest iPad is also thicker and heavier than the iPad Air 2. It has the fewer speakers (2 vs. 4), and the sound is more hollow sounding to me than the Air 2. The back of the iPad feels more plastic-y than the Air 2. The new Airpad has a better/faster processor and can work with the Apple Pencil (which I have no need for) but for me the improvements in processing don’t make up for the cheaper feel, the greater weight, thicker form factor, and fewer worse sounding speakers.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with the new iPad compared to the one I had before. I’ve gotten used to it at this point though.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject:

What, they now only value the Air 2 at $150?... That was a really impressive model when it first came out.

Are the new basic iPads supposed to be better than the Air 2? They just seem like budget models to me. But then there's this very large leap to the Pro, which is sort of overkill for a content streaming device.

The main reason I want to upgrade is that the battery on my Air 2 is just absolutely horrible. I probably get 3 hours out of it at max.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

The Ipad Air 2 is ancient....no wonder its at $150. Even the lowest priced Ipad which is around $249 or even $229 for the 32gb model was released last year.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

I have the 10.5 pro from last year and it's been great. I upgraded from the Air 2 and it was significant, especially viewable area and the same basic size. I don't use my stylus very often though.

I’ve seen absolutely no reason to upgrade to the current pro.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
tox wrote:

Agreed. I feel like there's a pretty high diminishing rate of returns on new iPad models. What can they really improved upon besides display quality, screen size, and memory? Speed isn't super important on a content consumption device.

This has been the case with tech for years now. Hardware is far outpacing software by leaps and bounds. It won't change until consumers demand for VR really starts to take.

Your 5-10 year old laptop with a simple SSD upgrade will run the usual media consumption/office tasks that 95% of users do absolutely no different than a modern, high end gaming pc. Firefox isn't going to start faster. Netflix isn't going to be any better. Word Documents aren't opening up one iota faster.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
tox wrote:

This has been the case with tech for years now. Hardware is far outpacing software by leaps and bounds. It won't change until consumers demand for VR really starts to take.

There have been reports that OSX and iOS will merge in the next couple years. Until then I wouldn't invest in a high end iPad. The Pro is cool and it would be great to have that giant screen but the price tag is much to steep for what it can do, imo. I have an iPad Air 2 and I rarely ever reach for it. My phone has a big screen and is always on me.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

^^ Yeah that's the way it is with me. I'm really tempted for the Galaxy View. The thing is such a remarkable piece of tech but $2000 is bat-(bleep) crazy.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What, they now only value the Air 2 at $150?... That was a really impressive model when it first came out.

Are the new basic iPads supposed to be better than the Air 2? They just seem like budget models to me. But then there's this very large leap to the Pro, which is sort of overkill for a content streaming device.

The main reason I want to upgrade is that the battery on my Air 2 is just absolutely horrible. I probably get 3 hours out of it at max.

Doesn't the Air 2 have an A8X processor? It was a beast for its day but not anymore. The A9 in the budget iPads is faster, more efficient, cheaper to produce, and runs iOS 12 better.

There's probably other reasons for the price difference, but that's probably the biggest one. It's like how you can buy a 7970 Ghz edition for $100 or a 1050ti for $150. Both roughly the same performance but the latter is newer and way more efficient.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: