Black Mirror: Bandersnatch truly is the future of TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Black Mirror: Bandersnatch truly is the future of TV

Quote:
28 December 2018. Remember this day. The day that TV changed forever.

There is an episode from Futurama, a show aired in 2000 about living in the world 3000, where our hero Fry goes to the cinema to see the latest action movie.

On screen, just as lead character Calculon is about to make an important decision, the screen pauses and viewers in the cinema are asked to choose what happens next in the movie:

Sitting there with your mouse or PS4 controller or smart TV remote in hand, there is no openings to absent-mindedly check your phone, no room for distractions. You're an active element of this story, the audience and the puppeteer. For 90 minutes or so, you're essential to the telling of the story of one man's life.

Netflix changed how we watch TV once before, and it looks like they've just begun to do it again.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is available to watch right now.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/black-mirror-bandersnatch-review-653183

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject:

Personally I'd only give Bandersnatch a 7 out of 10.
But maybe interactive media is the future of entertainment. I'm not saying it'll have a monopoly on TV/film. But maybe it can find a niche with the potential for growth.

But can you imagine a show like Breaking Bad or The Wire, having multiple paths the characters could take. Based on the decisions the viewers make.
That could be better than the original.

How many times would you re-watch/re-play it? What if Walt divorced Skyler and abandoned his family, and still left them all the money in a will? What if Avon flipped on Stringer, played his cards right and ended up having a gang war with Marlo.

Interactive TV could make groundbreaking stuff... Or it could fail like virtual reality entertainment has up to this point.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, no. Given how few writers and groups of writers can make and maintain a credible story line, the idea that crowd sourcing it would be better? Or even good. Bear in mind that the crowd controlling the script breathlessly watch the Kardashians.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Yeah, no. Given how few writers and groups of writers can make and maintain a credible story line, the idea that crowd sourcing it would be better? Or even good. Bear in mind that the crowd controlling the script breathlessly watch the Kardashians.

The creators would put in a limited amount of routes. All preplanned.
So the quality shouldn't dip based on what route is chosen by the viewer/viewers.

The content is trading in a longer linear story. For multiple shorter in length stories.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Fair enough, and I admit there are things I can’t stand that lots of people like. So as long as this doesn’t become the norm, live and let live.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I think Bandersnatch works because it's a very specific kind of story and the choose-your-path interaction plays on the story's themes of choice and free will. It would be a terrible mistake to start incorporating the gimmick into lots of other shows.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think Bandersnatch works because it's a very specific kind of story and the choose-your-path interaction plays on the story's themes of choice and free will. It would be a terrible mistake to start incorporating the gimmick into lots of other shows.

So you think interactive media only works when the story is about interactive media. I could see that being alot of people's viewpoint.

But personally, I think there are people who would watch other movies in theaters or at home a ton of times if they could get different endings each time. No matter what the story is. I'd love that for the Infinity War movies for example. But they'd probably have to make it a trilogy instead of 2 movies.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:

So you think interactive media only works when the story is about interactive media. I could see that being alot of people's viewpoint.

But I think there are alot of people who would watch a movie in theaters or at home a ton of times if they could get different endings each time. No matter what the story is. I'd love that for the Infinity War movies for example. But you'd probably have to make it a trilogy instead of 2 movies.

I think that gimmick will wear thin very quickly. I think most people want to watch Infinity Wars, not curate their own individual Infinity Wars or see a different Infinity Wars than their friends saw. Frankly I would be shocked if this became a widespread thing. I think it worked in this one very unique special and even then it was kind of annoying.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think that gimmick will wear thin very quickly. I think most people want to watch Infinity Wars, not curate their own individual Infinity Wars or see a different Infinity Wars than their friends saw. Frankly I would be shocked if this became a widespread thing. I think it worked in this one very unique special and even then it was kind of annoying.

Great point about shared experience. People are used to talking about their favorite shows, movies, plays, books, etc. Even if they didn't consume the content alongside the person they are talking to.
I'm really just playing devil's advocate and trying my best to present an opposing POV. My personal taste aligns with what you said in the bolded.

I guess the final 2 counter arguments would be.
Maybe interactive media could thrive/sustain itself as a "niche market". Kinda like those goosebumps books back in the day where you make a choice and go to that page. And as a niche market it would have all the good and bad productions that come along with that designation.
And the second point. There are alot of avenues media shouldn't have persued in the past, but producers did it anyways because there was profit to be made. Say what you want about interactive media. It's one positive aspect is replayability. And that means more money from DVD/BluRay/Youtube sales and hours streaming (on Netflix or other sources).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:

Great point about shared experience. People are used to talking about their favorite shows, movies, plays, books, etc. Even if they didn't consume the content alongside the person they are talking to.
I'm really just playing devil's advocate and trying my best to present an opposing POV. My personal taste aligns with what you said in the bolded.

Maybe interactive media could thrive/sustain itself as a "niche market". Kinda like those goosebumps books back in the day where you make a choice and go to that page. And as a niche market it would have all the good and bad productions that come along with that designation.
And the second point. There are alot of avenues media shouldn't have persued in the past, but producers did it anyways because there was profit to be made. Say what you want about interactive media. It's one positive aspect is replayability. And that means more money from DVD/BluRay/Youtube sales and hours streaming (on Netflix or other sources).

There are always going to be new gimmicks to try and drum up eyeballs whether it's 3D, Smell-O-Vision, D-Box, etc. Some have longer seasons than others but they all typically fade away fast if they ever take off at all. I would even be surprised if this became a niche thing, let alone "the future of movies". I think people ultimately want immersion, and that's tough to achieve if you're constantly being prompted to click a button and make a choice.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

There are always going to be new gimmicks to try and drum up eyeballs whether it's 3D, Smell-O-Vision, D-Box, etc. Some have longer seasons than others but they all typically fade away fast if they ever take off at all. I would even be surprised if this became a niche thing, let alone "the future of movies". I think people ultimately want immersion, and that's tough to achieve if you're constantly being prompted to click a button and make a choice.

Couldn't agree more.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Bandersnatch kind of works both because of the theme of the story and and because it's a gimmick that's fresh to people, but stories with branching paths based on user input have existed for years. I think there's a reason the format are not very popular. It works for Netflix as a gimmick to get people on their platform, but it's hard to justify producing 10 hours of content if a given person only experiences it as a 2 hour thing (and pays as such) -- unless it's just words (like Gamebooks or Japanese Visual Novels)

I also agree it doesn't really work for most stories. To me it's a separate thing that actually holds more in common with gaming (where your actions affect the environment in some way) than with traditional TV. You can't just apply it to the latest summer blockbuster or whatever.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject:

God, I hope not.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:

It was an interesting concepts for a movie. I didn't like it though. I watched it all the way through with all the different endings. Not a fan.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Don’t see it being anything more than a gimmick.

If you had a show, that could literally be different for everyone that watched it, there would be little point in talking about it.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Personally I'd only give Bandersnatch a 7 out of 10.
But maybe interactive media is the future of entertainment. I'm not saying it'll have a monopoly on TV/film. But maybe it can find a niche with the potential for growth.

But can you imagine a show like Breaking Bad or The Wire, having multiple paths the characters could take. Based on the decisions the viewers make.
That could be better than the original.

How many times would you re-watch/re-play it? What if Walt divorced Skyler and abandoned his family, and still left them all the money in a will? What if Avon flipped on Stringer, played his cards right and ended up having a gang war with Marlo.

Interactive TV could make groundbreaking stuff... Or it could fail like virtual reality entertainment has up to this point.

I think it would be an interesting tool to use for some shows, especially a season ending or series ending one. Say for instance that fans of the show "Friends" could have decided if Ross and Rachel get together or who Monica chooses, Magnum PI or Chandler. They could even use the most chosen outcomes to help write the story line for the next season.

The show "Felicity" basically did this with their final season, where they explored two different endings, where she ended up with different guys. Instead of the show runners doing it, they just let the fans choose. It would be satisfying for all fans that way, if that's what they producers wanted.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Black Mirror: Bandersnatch truly is the future of TV

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
28 December 2018. Remember this day. The day that TV changed forever.

There is an episode from Futurama, a show aired in 2000 about living in the world 3000, where our hero Fry goes to the cinema to see the latest action movie.

On screen, just as lead character Calculon is about to make an important decision, the screen pauses and viewers in the cinema are asked to choose what happens next in the movie:

Sitting there with your mouse or PS4 controller or smart TV remote in hand, there is no openings to absent-mindedly check your phone, no room for distractions. You're an active element of this story, the audience and the puppeteer. For 90 minutes or so, you're essential to the telling of the story of one man's life.

Netflix changed how we watch TV once before, and it looks like they've just begun to do it again.

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch is available to watch right now.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/black-mirror-bandersnatch-review-653183
i said this 20 years ago. others have said this as well.

but it may not be the FUTURE of TV or movies all in all. it could be a big thing for certain movies theaters and certain shows. and you know this going in. but if you do this, you're more or less playing a Role playing video game.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ocho wrote:

Not true ocho. you are forgetting gaming is a billion dollar industry doing just that. pressing buttons making choices. and to be exact like i said above there is a genre of games where this works. they are called RPG's.

actually you can just look at this game Life is Strange.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2997262/software-games/life-is-strange-review-time-traveling-teenage-girl-simulator-is-one-of-2015s-most-poignant-games.html

people love this game. and its nothing more than a cartoon movie where you have choices. And you do not feel like you are going in and out of the immersion due to having to make choices for the story to progress. you feel like you're apart of it. you want to hit the button to see what happens next.

If you dont want to be apart of the button pushers. just sit in the theater and let them decide while you watch. still very interesting if the story lines are done right. go on youtube and start watching episodes of the first "Life is strange". and you tell me that it doesnt work.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject:

I heard the movie Clue had multiple endings. But I have to admit, I've never seen it before.
Apparently there were multiple endings. And what region the theater was in determined what ending the moviegoers saw. And I'm assuming the movie was well received.
But if I'm talking out of my ass, please let me know.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Enjoyed Bird Box more

Felt like the options were forcing you down certain paths regardless of what you chose.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: