Durant is out of bounds, but no whistle... the worst non-call in league history?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Durant is out of bounds, but no whistle... the worst non-call in league history?

How in the world could the refs miss this?!?!?

https://streamable.com/q0b69
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Durant is out of bounds, but no whistle... the worst non-call in league history?

joeblow wrote:

The weird thing is it looks like the ref has an unobstructed view and is looking right at him the whole time.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject:

Since rockets won that game it wont really matter
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject:

I've never seen anything like this. Refs should be fired on the spot.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject:

One worse non-call was the non-ejection of McHale following his open court clothesline takedown of Rambis.

It was a different time, sure, but that was a political decision of unreal proportion.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
One worse non-call was the non-ejection of McHale following his open court clothesline takedown of Rambis.

It was a different time, sure, but that was a political decision of unreal proportion.

Way before my time, but when I saw that replay that was my first thought lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject:

What makes the Durant non-call worse than the McHale non-call is that at least the refs can now go to the replay to make sure they get it right. That wasn't even done in this case for some bizarre reason. That wasn't an option with the Rambis take down.

BTW, some in the media are agreeing with me.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if this was in Houston, during the playoffs. What would happen if a fan noticed that and decided to rush the court to make sure Curry didn't get a shot? Ban for life, sure. Beaten up by another NBA player, yeah. But hometown hero? Legend, even? Maybe...
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Since rockets won that game it wont really matter

really poor logic you have lol, still an awful call regardless if the rockets won because something like this may happen again, might happen to our lakers in a close playoff game and we lose then what will you be saying

anyways the league office really needs to maybe allow coach replay challenge like the NFL but instead of losing a timeout which isn't as important in nba but maybe the other team gets a technical free throw if you lose the challenge.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

The referee really is looking right at it. Durant is not an inch out of bounds with one foot. He's not a foot out of bounds with one foot. He's about a yard out of bounds, running with both feet way out of bounds, for multiple steps, and never comes close to establishing even a single foot anywhere near the out of bounds line!

I swear to God that when I see something like that happen, the first thought in my head is that the official in question has to know he's out of bounds but just doesn't care and wants the play to go on, for whatever reason (draw your own conclusions). The only other thing I can come up with is: is he color blind? I'm pretty sure the color is different from the brownish hue of the in-bounds court to the painted yellow color of the out of bounds part of the court.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Durant is out of bounds, but no whistle... the worst non-call in league history?

joeblow wrote:

Other than blatant "rigging" comment, I would imagine the ref had to have mentally been checked out. Thats amazing...
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject:

I accidentally ran a hard red today. Thank god the streets were empty. I imagine the ref went through something like me.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
I accidentally ran a hard red today. Thank god the streets were empty. I imagine the ref went through something like me.

gotta be 3 cars going thru a hard red at same time
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The referee really is looking right at it. Durant is not an inch out of bounds with one foot. He's not a foot out of bounds with one foot. He's about a yard out of bounds, running with both feet way out of bounds, for multiple steps, and never comes close to establishing even a single foot anywhere near the out of bounds line!

I swear to God that when I see something like that happen, the first thought in my head is that the official in question has to know he's out of bounds but just doesn't care and wants the play to go on, for whatever reason (draw your own conclusions). The only other thing I can come up with is: is he color blind? I'm pretty sure the color is different from the brownish hue of the in-bounds court to the painted yellow color of the out of bounds part of the court.

I think it's more basic. The ref probably just spaced out for a second like all human beings do now and then. The problem was he just spaced out at the absolute worst time to do it
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

I think it's more basic. The ref probably just spaced out for a second like all human beings do now and then. The problem was he just spaced out at the absolute worst time to do it

We can see the ref with a clear view of the play, but there's supposed to be another ref along the baseline with out-of-bounds responsibility for that play. They both .... screwed up.
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I've definitely seen worse no-calls than that. But that's rather high on the list of awful no-calls that the ref was standing right next to.
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject:

PrairieAve wrote:
I've definitely seen worse no-calls than that. But that's rather high on the list of awful no-calls that the ref was standing right next to.

I'm just curious, like what? At least you can argue that foul calls are judgment calls. I mean, we all know you can't be out of bounds and touching the ball, and here is a play where a dude was so far out of bounds that it's just silly. It would be like if a dude made a shot 2 seconds after the buzzer sounded and they gave it to him anyway. I've just never seen a call missed that badly before, and where the refs were in proper position. It's one thing if no one sees it because they had their view blocked or something. But that wasn't the case here.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject:

^^^Exactly. In fact, put aside that it happened in the NBA... I am seriously wondering where this abomination of a non-call ranks in the history of professional team sports in general.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject:

I'm going into my bag of tricks with this one, but there was a call in a women's tennis match that may have been the worst ruling I've ever seen. Angelique Kerber was playing a match against Daniela Hantuchova at the French Open in 2014. Kerber hit a shot that was really close to the back of the line (the baseline), which Hantuchova was able to hit back over the net. But as Kerber's shot landed, the linesperson called it out, so once the ball came back over the net, everyone stopped playing due to the call. Because this is clay and they don't have the challenge system on clay, the chair umpire gets up to check the mark. She believes the ball to be in, and overrules the linesperson and calls it in. OK, so you replay the point. Right? WRONG! The umpire inexplicably awards the point to Kerber. Now, I can understand just getting the series of events wrong. But once it's explained to you, you might expect that the official would make the correct call. Nope! Hantuchova was apoplectic. I mean, she hit the ball back and in the court of play, and everyone stopped playing. This is a textbook "replay the point" call. The only time it's a judgment call is if Hantuchova had actually hit her shot out, and it's the umpire's discretion as to whether or not the call bothered the player. But here we had a case where the player actually hit the ball in, and there was no dispute about that.

Two things were remarkable about this. One, the tournament referee was summoned to the court, was told exactly what happened, and they somehow STILL kept the call of awarding the point to Kerber. And two, Kerber actually accepted the point and did not do the sportsmanlike (or sportswomanlike) thing of insisting that the point be replayed. I mean, she knew exactly what happened. I would never, ever take a point that I didn't earn, as a tennis player. But yeah, if you want to youtube it and if you're into tennis at all, check it out. There is no chance that I would have continued playing, if I got screwed like that. Would've walked straight off the court once the tournament referee refused to actually change the decision.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject:

Synchronicity.

I saw a six step travel no-call featured yesterday in a segment shown on ESPN's show, NBA: The Jump. Think it was a Pacer player, driving the hoop in transition but I didn't make much note of it. Obviously, not a game-changer or season changer of a miss but illustrative of how extreme stuff can get when the refs don't call stuff they don't see. How do three refs lose sight of the ball handler and his step count for that long ? Eeeesh.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
nickuku wrote:

gotta be 3 cars going thru a hard red at same time

I once went thru a yellow turning red on a turn lane and I counted 6 cars come thru behind me in my mirror.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: