OFFICIAL: College Basketball 2018-19 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Keep an eye on Buffalo....they have games @ 'Cuse on 12/18 and @ Marquette on 12/21....if they can get threw those two games with wins, I am not seeing a likely loss on their schedule. They are legit.

#14 Buffalo went into the Carrier Dome and knocked off 'Cuse 71-59. They are legit....will face their toughest competition left of their schedule Friday @ Marquette.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Pac-12 is terrible in college basketball as well this year.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25641970/pac-12-caps-worst-december-major-conference-20-years-five-teams-lose

UCLA's season is going into the depths of mediocrity with a loss to Liberty University....
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Hope Alford gets a nice vacation soon, preferably a permanent one to start the new year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Hope Alford gets a nice vacation soon, preferably a permanent one to start the new year.

I have defended him a little in the past....or maybe just reserved criticism....but there is just too much raw talent on that roster for them to be losing in the manner they are losing. Belmont, Cincy and Liberty are all solid teams....but UCLA should be better....and if they do fall to a mid major, it needs to be by 2 or 3 points in a major upset.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Looking at the quality of opponents UCLA has beaten so far, they might be slightly worse than San Diego State.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Scott Bilo

@BiloRatedSports
Follow
Follow @BiloRatedSports

More
BREAKING: Sources saying that the Steve Alford's buyout has been completed. Could have an announcement officially tomorrow morning. #UCLA
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
3m
3 minutes ago

More
There have been persistent rumbles in NBA coaching circles that UCLA would pursue former Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg if it parts ways with Steve Alford ... which appears increasingly imminent. Whether Hoiberg can be lured back to the college game remains to be seen ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Steve Alford fired.
https://thebiglead.com/2018/12/31/steve-alford-fired-ucla/

Can't say I'm surprised. UCLA basketball was on the verge of being irrelevant not only in this town but in all of Socal. USC, LMU, San Diego State you could argue are having better seasons with comparable strength of schedules so far.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject:

Thanks ChickenStu and lakersken80 for the updates. It finally happened.

adkindo wrote:
K2 wrote:

I have defended him a little in the past....or maybe just reserved criticism....but there is just too much raw talent on that roster for them to be losing in the manner they are losing. Belmont, Cincy and Liberty are all solid teams....but UCLA should be better....and if they do fall to a mid major, it needs to be by 2 or 3 points in a major upset.

Very true, even without Shareef on this year’s team, UCLA shouldn’t be losing to the likes of those mid-majors. I’ve had enough frustration during the Lavin years, but this Alford stretch has been tough. For Alford’s last game, he loses to the coach that he replaced at New Mexico.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

What a pointless, enervating five and a half seasons it's been. Good riddance.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Marc Stein

Verified account

@TheSteinLine
3m
3 minutes ago

More
There have been persistent rumbles in NBA coaching circles that UCLA would pursue former Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg if it parts ways with Steve Alford ... which appears increasingly imminent. Whether Hoiberg can be lured back to the college game remains to be seen ...

Hoiberg was great at Iowa State...and probably would be a good hire, but I am always a little suspicious of coaches that made their mark by coaching up lower talent to compete with better talent. Does Hoiberg offer similar value when he is getting 4 and 5 Star recruits at UCLA as he did when he was getting 3 Star guys @ Iowa State? Some coaches transition well....John Beilein is an example of where his talent kept increasing at each stop, and the success increased as the talent increased.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

Some of those mid majors have become powerhouses in the NCAA. If theres anything good about firing Alford so early in the season is that it will allow the UCLA basketball program to conduct an in depth coaching search, not to mention to create a vision of where they want their program to be in the future.Right now they are a program with a good history, but the majority of it was under John Wooden, which was almost 50 years ago. They want to be mentioned along the likes of Kentucky, Duke, etc but their results these past decades have been anything but. The talent isn't the problem its that they can't seem to harness their potential while they are there.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject:

UCLA has recently improved its facilities in both football and basketball. They paid big money and made a splashy hire with Chip Kelly in football. It's been said that the UCLA basketball opening hasn't been great because they don't have charter flights and because of the previous facilities. Perhaps they will open up the purse strings and take a big swing. Hoiberg isn't as "sexy" of a hire as Chip Kelly was, but at least he has experienced success in college and was a former NBA coach. Runs a modern offense.

I've heard Jamie Dixon mentioned. That would basically be like hiring Ben Howland again in terms of philosophy, though. Not sure that would be the way to go. I wonder if Eric Musselman would be intrigued after what is going to be a highly successful run at Nevada, though he's about to lose the Martins, so perhaps it might be time to bounce. I like him, and he comes from a good basketball family; I think he really knows the game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I have been surprised to hear that Rick Pitino actually has some push behind him for the UCLA job.....but honestly, after thinking about it.....if your AD was tough enough for the likely backlash, he is the one guy that could get UCLA back to a level they expect to be at in the college basketball landscape.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

that Hilton Magic gets the best of #5 Kansas....as they go to Iowa State and get boat raced 77-60.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

I thought seeing him literally standing behind Tom Herman during the Sugar Bowl while he was calling plays was funny...but I think he actually thinks he is on staff...

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25809674
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: !!!

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
I was all for this when it initially became a story.....but after watching it play out, I can't help but feel like the FBI did little to actually clean up the sport, and made scapegoats out of a few people.....while going out of their way to not look into any big names in big programs.

These guys were found guilty of defrauding the Universities! Huh? The case actually made the schools and programs the victims!!!

I don’t want to get into legal minutiae, but this is just the first trial. Some assistant coaches are still facing charges. The head coaches probably will not get charged because the cases would be hard to win for the reasons you state. The government will leave them to the NCAA. (So yes, the schools will end up as victims.)

Criminal law is a poor tool for cleaning up college sports, but (as with FIFA) you have to start somewhere. Anyone who wants to pay money to a player now needs to worry about the FBI. That is not a small matter.

You are correct....but from a layman legal mind's perspective....just feels wrong these 3 guys are going to prison. They paid money to athletes, which is not a crime in itself. It is clear some of their supervisors at their employers knew they were paying the athletes, and were doing it at the instruction of employees of the universities. They knew they were breaking NCAA rules, but likely had no idea they were breaking Federal Laws....and I have heard and read many competent lawyers even argue that they did not break federal laws. Yet, they are definitely going to prison for real time behind bars.

In other news, rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine was given probation today after pleading guilty to using of a child (13 year old female) in a sexual performance. How is society better off with him on the streets, but must put these low to mid level middlemen behind bars? No need to answer, it was rhetorical.

The court found the payments were criminal acts, actually. The U.S. Attorneys’ Office argued that Jim Gatto's payments deprived schools of the right to recruit athletes who were actually amateurs and eligible to play NCAA basketball. He was convicted of wire fraud conspiracy and two counts of wire fraud.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Cameron Young @ Quinnipiac University scored 55 points in a 3OT 107-100 win over Siena. It is the most points scored in a Division 1 game by a player in over a decade. He was 15 of 24 from the field and 9 of 13 from 3. He also made 16 of 20 free throws.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject:

So just venting but I was excited when I heard Duke would be playing tonight. A greatly anticipated rivalry game but more important my first glimpse of the next big thing. This is going to bridge my week into tomorrows game. I’m pumped!! Zion Williamson!

And he gets injured less than 1 minute into the game. Out for the night.

I hope he’s ok.

DaMuleRules, 2 Sept 2017
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject:

People were paying Super Bowl prices to see that game....
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Mighty San Diego State Aztecs continue to own Nevada....
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Which got me thinking, do you think any franchise that gets the #1 pick will let him pass or trade the pick for Anthony Davis? Never. Owners salivate seeing those ticket prices.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Which got me thinking, do you think any franchise that gets the #1 pick will let him pass or trade the pick for Anthony Davis? Never. Owners salivate seeing those ticket prices.

I think the market for Duke tickets create a higher demand that drive up costs, than they would for an NBA game Stadium size, student and alum reserved tickets... all drive up the cost.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I think the market for Duke tickets create a higher demand that drive up costs, than they would for an NBA game Stadium size, student and alum reserved tickets... all drive up the cost.

For sure, I don't think any team can sell tickets at those rates over 41 games in a season.

But it definitely shows how much of a draw the guy is. Imagine him playing in a city like NY? It'd take buzz to a whole new level. Any owner would see though that IMO.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject:

Nike shares slip on the heels of Zion Williamson sneaker malfunction
"We are obviously concerned and want to wish Zion a speedy recovery," Nike said in a statement.

piece of (bleep) designer sprained Zions knee

wow... his shoe blew out at start of game
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/nike-shares-slip-heels-zion-williamson-sneaker-malfunction-n973971
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: