Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

You coming out bro? HIt me up if you want to catch this somewhere!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Gonna be in Vegas, oddly enough. The in-laws want to spend NYE with Baby Girl. She’s their first grandchild and they’ve been very good to me and my wife so I feel obligated to go. But I’m definitely down for future events. Those are great hang times!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject:

Nice! Have fun my man!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

I am not normally a conspiracy type guy, but I'm definitely getting strong BS vibes from the whole Jon Jones situation. Dana is a douchebag so I have no problem believing his corruption. Remember at UFC 200 when they needed Brock Lesnar for the card. They set up the Mark Hunt fight even though Brock wasn't being tested the prior few months which was mandatory. Brock tested positive for riods prior to the fight and they still had him fight Mark Hunt.

Quote:
Despite the fact that UFC president Dana White steadfastly proclaimed Thursday that "USADA would never put their entire reputation on one guy," that's seemingly exactly what happened. The drug-testing agency claimed Jones' irregular test, for the same substance he failed a test for in 2017, was left over in his system and wasn't the result of a new violation or any recent use.

The problem with that from the standpoint of an understandably critical MMA media is that USADA reportedly informed other fighters suspended in recent years for offenses similar to Jones (including Frank Mir and Tim Means) that such a scenario was impossible. In addition, USADA made a number of claims this week about Jones' situation but never actually proved publicly how they knew these claims to be true, instead citing unnamed scientists and experts.

Asked repeatedly about the lack of information regarding the science behind UFC's confidence in Jones' innocence, White angrily deferred to UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance Jeff Novkitzy, who conveniently wasn't present. Asked further about angry undercard fighters who weren't told the card was moving cities and now must pay increased medical exam costs and higher state income tax in California, White chose to stick with an "it is what it is" defense.

"Let Novitzky answer that question for you, he's the expert on this," White said about the test results before advising Jones not to answer the question. "If you want to talk drugs, talk to Novitsky."

https://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/ufc-232-difficulty-of-believing-in-jon-jones-increased-by-repeated-preferential-treatment/

Also Joe Rogan seems to have just become a mouth piece for Dana and the UFC which is sad. He gets the story from Dana that he wants pushed and he pushes it hard.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Yup at this point I’ve just accepted how corrupt the ufc is and realize with the current powers that be it is not an honest and transparent sporting organization. It’s entertainment. And they fix everything except when the octagon door closes.

Who do you have winning?

I really have no dog in the fights tomorrow, but I think jones and cyborg get it done. Taking the favorites
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject:

Big money organization showing the decay of corruption? Color me absolutely unsurprised. The ONLY thing the UFC’s got going for me as a fan is 22’s lucid point that everything in the organization is fashioned to bring about results that the higher up’s desire... until that octagon gate is shut.

Conor losing to Khabib is their last vestige of fair play. Made no sense to let him get worked as he did, money-wise but that’s precisely what happened. That being said, perhaps that’s the reason or primary motivation for paving the way for JJ to get back in a top spot. Conor as cash cow has lost a degree or three of steam and there’s nobody on the horizon to take that mantle. JJ has become a walking disaster. Must-see combat sports viewing. As many, if not more, haters tune in to see him lose as the fans that want to see him win.

My thoughts are, the rigged fights won’t be long behind. Like the NBA, they’ll need to manufacture stars because that’s what sells. Sure this is a very jaded view but sports are entertainment and the dollar wins out so long as the audience leaves entertained. Nothing new under the sun there.

Rogan being a Dana mouthpiece is another step in the corruption. Controlling the narrative is key to any such implementation of coordinated results. But I do pray I’m wrong or, at the very least, premature in my estimation.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject:

I think the card looks really good. I think Jones will finish Alexander too, and I'm really looking forward to Nunes v Cyborg too, this is the biggest challenge Cyborg has had to date. Looking forward to the fights of Condit, and Penn too. BJ Penn might actually be my favorite fighter of all time.

On the whole drug test subject, I really don't know what to think.
1. Did he cheat (this time)? Maybe it's residual from the previous failure, maybe that's BS. He had a test that showed nothing previously, now this one has something. I'm not gonna jump to conclusions like so many media members who all of a sudden become amateur chemists, we just don't know the real truth.
2. Did he receive preferential treatment? Yeah probably, bit embarrassing from UFC and USADA to be honest.

Too much drama for me, I just wanna enjoy the matchups.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

Mo, I think the best way to phrase it is, when it comes to Jones, it’s ALWAYS something.

Dudes a straight cheater. That we know. Whether it was real or residual this time, who knows but “real” is definitely in play. And the dude just acts and speaks like a guilty af narcissist.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Vegas line on the main events. Jones and Cyborg are big favorites.

Jones -300
Gustafsson +240

Cyborg -260
Nunes +210
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Some crazy finishes already! The hall vs Lewis fight, and the penn vs hall fight, then the Anderson vs zingano. Praying Kat is ok
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Holy crap Amanda did it! Amazing.

I had Cyborg and Jones winning.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Wow. That was crazy. Congrats to Nunez. Cyborg was very gracious in defeat.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Anyone get a similar vibe to aldo vs mcgregor in that fight? Cyborg should have took her time. Nunes far more crisp
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Jones beat him up pretty good. Not much of a fight. Gustafsson's layoff was too long.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

So DC beats Brock and then DC's career ends in a loss to Jones. Jon Jones becomes the double champ.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Jones was right. He didn’t take gus seriously last time. Just straight up dismantled him. Reminded me of woodley vs Till
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Gus had a plan heading in I’m sure. But you’d never be able to tell what it was

Cyborg experiencing that Tyson effect tonight. Went in with someone who wasn’t afraid of her and was absolutely certain of how to exploit her vulnerability. Big ups to Nunez but, yet again, perspective on this one to temper the hyperbole. As JB has said, the women’s side is still in its infancy. Great victory by a worthy champion nonetheless.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

AMANDA!!!!!!!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Anyone get a similar vibe to aldo vs mcgregor in that fight? Cyborg should have took her time. Nunes far more crisp

That's never been who she is. Her ferocity and power overwhelmed every girl that was scared to be in the ring with her. Amanda wasn't scared.
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Thought the fight was boring. Glad I didn't pay
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

That's never been who she is. Her ferocity and power overwhelmed every girl that was scared to be in the ring with her. Amanda wasn't scared.

very true! I wanna see the re-match for that very reason to see if Cyborg makes that adjustment
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

I'll say this...Nunes just made herself 10s of millions tonight. Her q-rating freaking SKYROCKETED. Crowd at the Forum and at the bar I was at was in uproard applauding her. I'm a fan.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Already told GTR but it was such an odd night. I've been to my regular spot for the end of the year UFC events annually and they've always been at the VERY least packed if not standing room only. It was at 25% capacity around 7pm and 50% by the time the 2 co-main events started. I'd be intersted in the #s this event pulled. Forum looked at about 75% capacity when they panned to the crowd.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I'll say this...Nunes just made herself 10s of millions tonight. Her q-rating freaking SKYROCKETED. Crowd at the Forum and at the bar I was at was in uproard applauding her. I'm a fan.

it was the ngannou/lewis fight we all wanted. A slugfest will always bring fans. she dun good
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject:

I’ll be at the next big card.

I thought the Gus/Jones fight was a slow race of the ring rusted. Jones thawed first. Actually, Gus looked like he couldn’t pull the trigger.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 465 of 499
Jump to: