Is Brandon Ingram a Long-Term Fit Beside LeBron or a Lakers Trade Chip?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Is Brandon Ingram a Long-Term Fit Beside LeBron or a Lakers Trade Chip?

Hey all,

Latest @BleacherReport Is Brandon Ingram a Long-Term Fit Beside LeBron or a Lakers Trade Chip?
- the numbers may suggest why Ingram isn't a great fit (time of touch before shooting the ball), whereas Kuzma/Hart typically let it fly quickly
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2810907-is-brandon-ingram-a-long-term-fit-beside-lebron-or-a-lakers-trade-chip

Cheers

EP
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Still a good value at $7 million per season, but he could easily be more valuable in a trade to get a player who is more compatible with Lebron. If we could move him to get a sharpshooting, we should.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

it's about the defense.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Trade Chip...

Along with Zo..
PauPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Beside LbJ? Not looking too good so far
After LbJ?
kentu_tiro
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

While BI hasn't looked as compatible with LBJ this early, I still think he can provide us with a different look especially come playoff time. You need someone who can create his own shot other than Lebron when the game slows down during the playoffs. If anything I hope his shooting comes along at a respectable clip as the season progresses.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Ingram needs a more structured offense. In the left-to-your-own-devices-Luke-Walton-offense, he's a liability. Unfortunately, I don't see Ingram progressing much under this coaching.

It's too bad the Lakers are utter sheet at player development.

I bet that Ingram blossoms under a proper coach. Unfortunately, I'd hate to see it happen with another team.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

It has been very obvious. BI just not a good fit with James. It's unfortunate Lakers couldnt trade him this past off season. We could of attached him to Deng and got a pick or young player out of it too. But instead, we had to buy out and stretch Deng and eat some of his salary. BI's flaws have been even more exposed so far this season. His value may have dropped. Lakers have done a good job of trying to keep his value up though, by pumping him up in the media, having him start, etc. We cant just start a guy just to keep his value up though. So, unfortunately his value is going to drop even more.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
It has been very obvious. BI just not a good fit with James. It's unfortunate Lakers couldnt trade him this past off season. We could of attached him to Deng and got a pick or young player out of it too. But instead, we had to buy out and stretch Deng and eat some of his salary. BI's flaws have been even more exposed so far this season. His value may have dropped. Lakers have done a good job of trying to keep his value up though, by pumping him up in the media, having him start, etc. We cant just start a guy just to keep his value up though. So, unfortunately his value is going to drop even more.

The obvious thing seemed to me to play him with the second unit at SF. He'll still get his minutes, and he'll probably play better, but any thoughts about Ingram becoming a star player have to be out the window at this point.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

An interesting take.

I'm see the term "long-term" abused in the topic's theme, personally.

LeBron has no long-term career ahead of him. He's 34 essentially this month. He is already Top 20 in all-time career minutes played. For a player who relies on mobility, he's in his career's twilight, man. He's one full season's worth of PT behind Kobe's career mark.

If the Lakers are making personnel decision about Ingram, Ball, Kuzma and the like around a long term estimation of LeBron's Laker life, I'd say be wary of history's story of the toll which time takes on a player's career arc.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

I love BI. He's become more aggressive and clearly has a killer mindset. However, he provides nothing that Kuzma cannot provide as a 2nd option (especially with Kuzma improving on defense lately). Anthony Davis is entering his prime. With or without LeBron, trading BI for AD makes sense. You either form a championship contender with LeBron, or LeBron falls off drastically, allowing you to build around AD going forward. How many players are looking to join the Lakers to play alongside BI?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

Personally, I am starting to worry about what all this trade talk is going to do to the morale of this team.

They have seen other guys moved for not much and have success, they are wondering if this FO has their back. BI's time here is limited, he knows it.

When he gets back, he is playing for his future and he must know that. He needs to be taking this personal, and he needs to make Magic and Rob worry that they could be making a decision that could haunt them.

If they actually get AD in a trade for BI, and BI explodes afterwards to become great, it will be OK, unless AD has a career ending injury. Basically there is NO trade we could make for AD, where we are going to regret it. AD is a great player who STILL has more upside. The man ain't close to peaking.

However, if we are unable to get a top player like AD for BI, we could be compromising our teams morale. I know the players are supposed to understand the business side of this, but it must be difficult for them.

BI, is the first young Laker player that I have ever bought merchandise of. Got his name and number on one of my shirts. Will hate to see him go, and hate to see him dangled like this. If we get AD, all will be understood, but if we don't, I fear the worst.
DMAULS
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

LeBron isn't a long term option, either. Ingram will be entering his prime when LBJ is on his way out. Since you aren't getting AD without moving Ingram and most of the young core, why move him at all? Allow him actual time to adjust. Other players that have bad fits next to LBJ have adjusted, and it took time.
cganesh75
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I dont know if Ingram's ego will allow this, but they should try and move him to the bench and let him thrive. Rondo and BI will be great together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

cganesh75 wrote:
I dont know if Ingram's ego will allow this, but they should try and move him to the bench and let him thrive. Rondo and BI will be great together.

Actually disagree. I think Rondo/BI aren't ideal b/c BI needs the ball in his hands and Rondo off ball is a bit useless.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
cganesh75 wrote:

Actually disagree. I think Rondo/BI aren't ideal b/c BI needs the ball in his hands and Rondo off ball is a bit useless.

Maybe not ideal but Ingram can play with other guys who need the ball IMO just not to the extent LeBron does and with the style LeBron does. If Ingram can’t play with ANYBODY who needs the ball, he needs an even more drastic change than I thought. I don’t believe that to be the case. Rondo likes to dribble but he can play without the offense revolving around him. The second unit would revolve around Ingram as that’s when he’s at his best.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

How about this deal...

Ingram, KCP and 1st rd pick for Bradley Beal

Takes us from 38 million over cap to 20 million under the cap after the season, which means no max free agent. But Beal could be a huge missing piece. What say you guys?
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

DMAULS wrote:
LeBron isn't a long term option, either. Ingram will be entering his prime when LBJ is on his way out. Since you aren't getting AD without moving Ingram and most of the young core, why move him at all? Allow him actual time to adjust. Other players that have bad fits next to LBJ have adjusted, and it took time.

They want a guy who is most effective with the ball to adjust right away. I can understand if he’s like 25 and already physically develop but a late bloomer who’s only 21 and still developing his game🤔

I can understand too if we are in win now mode this year. We ain’t winning this year. Give some time, when we get that 2nd max player next year and Warriors break up than maybe go for the kill.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
DMAULS wrote:

They want a guy who is most effective with the ball to adjust right away. I can understand if he’s like 25 and already physically develop but a late bloomer who’s only 21 and still developing his game🤔

I can understand too if we are in win now mode this year. We ain’t winning this year. Give some time, when we get that 2nd max player next year and Warriors break up than maybe go for the kill.

It's a tough balancing act.

First, the Lakers basically punted 5 years to get to LBJ, so there was no way we turn him down.

Second, when you get LBJ, you're in a win-now mentality.

Third, he's going to be 34 this month, so how long is the win-now window?

BI is testing these issues. I think he has talent, and maybe he can get to all-star level. But the fit has been awkward. I'm hoping that during his injury recovery he's looking at tape and how he can fit in.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

ericp6387 wrote:
How about this deal...

Ingram, KCP and 1st rd pick for Bradley Beal

Takes us from 38 million over cap to 20 million under the cap after the season, which means no max free agent. But Beal could be a huge missing piece. What say you guys?

PASS. That still not win us anything this year. At best we might meet the Warriors at West finals. Warriors can’t afford to keep everyone anyway and KD will bolt for sure. How about signing that 2nd max player next year and go from there.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

Trade chip.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

I do hate seeing our high draft picks elsewhere doing well. Jules. DLO. Sigh.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
CRoost wrote:
DMAULS wrote:

It's a tough balancing act.

First, the Lakers basically punted 5 years to get to LBJ, so there was no way we turn him down.

Second, when you get LBJ, you're in a win-now mentality.

Third, he's going to be 34 this month, so how long is the win-now window?

BI is testing these issues. I think he has talent, and maybe he can get to all-star level. But the fit has been awkward. I'm hoping that during his injury recovery he's looking at tape and how he can fit in.

Regardless, we ain’t winning it this year. Lebron is still great but if people want to play the numbers game, it’s best to make him do everything. Will that keep him fresh? Odds is he won’t but time will tell.

Let Lebron do enough to keep us above water and make playoff. Let Ingram develop and encourage Zo to be aggressive on offense and not worry about mistakes.

I say timing is everything. Next year should be the year that we go for the kill.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I do hate seeing our high draft picks elsewhere doing well. Jules. DLO. Sigh.

DLO’s been aight. Jules has been great though. I’m salty he’s taking 3s now lol
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

The sad part is that for Ingram there is no good scenario in which he becomes an All-Star.

Either he will do it with another team, or we would have majorly struck out in free agency/trades.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: