When a NASA Engineer Decides to Get Revenge on Package Thieves
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: When a NASA Engineer Decides to Get Revenge on Package Thieves

Glitter bomb fart box for the win!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Saw this on reddit the other day. Should've sent the cops over to them. People are absolute (bleep) scum.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Just saw this. I love it. Package thieves are some real scum.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Wish he'd used paint like the banks do.

Part of this is funny but part of it still pisses me off because there's not many real deterrents to stopping these a-holes. My apartment complex installed a package locker last year and it cut down on a lot of thefts.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Wish he'd used paint like the banks do.

Part of this is funny but part of it still pisses me off because there's not many real deterrents to stopping these a-holes. My apartment complex installed a package locker last year and it cut down on a lot of thefts.

The glitter is great though. That stuff almost impossible to clean up completely.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

I have a note right under my door bell . It says DRIVERS PLEASE RING BELL. IF NO ANSWER LEAVE PACKAGES WITH MANAGER. I have his apartment number in the note. I haven't had a package stolen since making the note.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Hope this starts a trend that goes viral.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

You can't even get a package delivered in San Francisco anymore unless you are home, the package thieves/drug addicts/losers are that prevalent....even in the "nice" neighborhoods.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I have a note right under my door bell . It says DRIVERS PLEASE RING BELL. IF NO ANSWER LEAVE PACKAGES WITH MANAGER. I have his apartment number in the note. I haven't had a package stolen since making the note.

Is it awkward when the delivery guy has to ring the call button to get an orderly to wake you to sign for your package?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

This was fantastic!! Thanks for sharing!! I hate how petty crime is so prevalent that cops don’t do anything about it anymore. Shows how jacked up our society is that logistically there is so much crime they can’t police it all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

I've seen some prototypes, but nothing concrete yet. However, I think there is a total market, and I would gladly pay a few hundred bucks for one, for an Amazon box that only the delivery person and those programmed with access can open.

This box of course would be bolted to the property.

It's coming at some point, I'm sure of it. Doesn't even seem that hard to build.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I've seen some prototypes, but nothing concrete yet. However, I think there is a total market, and I would gladly pay a few hundred bucks for one, for an Amazon box that only the delivery person and those programmed with access can open.

It's coming at some point, I'm sure of it. Doesn't even seem that hard to build.

Somebody pitched this idea on Shark Tank. The Sharks decided it was too expensive and too many hurdles for them to make a profit....of course they have been wrong before, see the Ring doorbell for example.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Somebody pitched this idea on Shark Tank. The Sharks decided it was too expensive and too many hurdles for them to make a profit....of course they have been wrong before, see the Ring doorbell for example.

Oh yeah, I saw that episode! Frankly, the technology needs to come from Amazon IMO. Though I appreciate the concept of an agnostic solution that works for all online package deliveries, I just think it would be too difficult to get everyone to buy in to some kind of standard solution.

I would say around 90% of my online purchases are from Amazon so, for me at least, I would happily pay say $249 for something like this.

BTW, funny story. I have had only one package stolen from my front door. We were doing pranks on each other at the office, so, I ordered a fart machine from Amazon. Of the hundreds of items I have purchased over the years, the ONE item I had stolen was a fart machine. LOL. Of course, Amazon being as awesome as they are, immediately refunded me and then threw in $5 extra for the inconvenience.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Oh yeah, I saw that episode! Frankly, the technology needs to come from Amazon IMO. Though I appreciate the concept of an agnostic solution that works for all online package deliveries, I just think it would be too difficult to get everyone to buy in to some kind of standard solution.

I would say around 90% of my online purchases are from Amazon so, for me at least, I would happily pay say $249 for something like this.

BTW, funny story. I have had only one package stolen from my front door. We were doing pranks on each other at the office, so, I ordered a fart machine from Amazon. Of the hundreds of items I have purchased over the years, the ONE item I had stolen was a fart machine. LOL. Of course, Amazon being as awesome as they are, immediately refunded me and then threw in $5 extra for the inconvenience.

That 'box' should come with Prime membership
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I thin they may be right on this one. Seems very impractical because the box would have to be quite large in order to accommodate the variety of packages that would be delivered. And who wants a large box attached to the front of their home that only gets used occasionally.

Didn't Amazon once toy with the idea of coded door locks that could be used by their delivery people to access peoples front doors for the purposes of dropping off packages in the home? I thin I recall seeing something about that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
This was fantastic!! Thanks for sharing!! I hate how petty crime is so prevalent that cops don’t do anything about it anymore. Shows how jacked up our society is that logistically there is so much crime they can’t police it all.
but why is there so much crime to be policed in the first place? find the root cause. not just the cause that bothers you.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

Fedex now leaves packages that require signature after first attempt for my house at Albertsons which is right along the way home.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I thin they may be right on this one. Seems very impractical because the box would have to be quite large in order to accommodate the variety of packages that would be delivered. And who wants a large box attached to the front of their home that only gets used occasionally.

Didn't Amazon once toy with the idea of coded door locks that could be used by their delivery people to access peoples front doors for the purposes of dropping off packages in the home? I thin I recall seeing something about that.

A large cooler size box would accommodate the vast majority of my purchases. You're probably right though, most people won't want a giant box attached to their porch/house. However, I wouldn't mind it, because of the volume of Amazon purchases I make. I'd say I've got 1-2 orders per week coming to my door, though most of them are replenishable house goods like Nespresso pod refills, paper towels, things of that nature.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

A better idea would be something along the lines of the things they put expensive small items in at Best Buy etc. that will only come off to open the box with a coded magnetic device.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Amazon prob make enough profit to add an after work hours delivery (7pm-midnight or something) option for big cities
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Is it awkward when the delivery guy has to ring the call button to get an orderly to wake you to sign for your package?

Nah. Turkle doesn't sleep a lot. Nurse Ratchet is always on the alert.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Sounds like Amazon Key which they started offering about six months ago I believe. They will also deliver to your car.

LINK

When I move into my new place next year, I'm considering either using Amazon Key or an Amazon Locker which is only few blocks from my house. Of course, that doesn't help with deliveries not from Amazon but I'd estimate 75% of my packages come from them and it's usually the most valuable stuff.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I just bought an 800 dollar monitor and fedex just left it outside my front gate next to the sidewalk. It was sitting there a good 5 hours until my neighbor noticed it and texted me.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Reminds me of that video that went viral where the delivery people just left a big screen TV outside and some package thief tried to shove that thing into his tiny compact car....
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
22 wrote:
but why is there so much crime to be policed in the first place? find the root cause. not just the cause that bothers you.

Yup, That’s what I’m getting at.

And I know the root cause already. It’s just sad to see
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: