Boylen and the Revolt of the Bulls Players

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Boylen and the Revolt of the Bulls Players

Has there ever been a situation where an entire team is supposedly planning on skipping practice, openly feuding with the coach, and even contacting the NBAP to complain?

Quote:
New Chicago Bulls coach Jim Boylen believes he has an organizational mandate to institute what he called a "shock and awe" campaign in the early days of his tenure.

Just three games into his stint, he has benched starters for long stretches, held long practices and chastised the team's effort after brutal losses.

Some Bulls players pushed back on Boylen's aggressive coaching style. After suffering the worst loss in franchise history Saturday night, Zach LaVine and Justin Holiday led a two-hour, players-only meeting in lieu of the practice Boylen had planned for the team Sunday.

Quote:
A source said that Boylen was aware Saturday that some players were preparing to bypass Sunday's practice. He addressed it with players Sunday morning.

Quote:
Boylen said his decision to shift away from a tougher practice was not influenced by hearing word of players' plans to not practice. He also said he has taken into consideration the fact that eventually the franchise will be looking to attract free agents who might ask questions about the level of toughness with which he coaches.

Quote:
Despite clearing the air, Yahoo! Sports reported Monday afternoon that some Bulls players contacted the NBA with concerns about Boylen's coaching tactics. When asked about it, Boylen said he had no problem with players reaching out to players association officials.

"Call 'em," Boylen said. "I know the rules. No problem. It doesn't deter from what we're going to work [on] and we're going to practice."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25501523/chicago-bulls-coaches-players-agree-team-meetings-sunday-productive

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25493942/chicago-bulls-players-push-back-coach-jim-boylen-aggressive-style
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
he has benched starters for long stretches, held long practices and chastised the team's effort after brutal losses.

That used to be called "coaching".
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

I can't believe the drill sergeant bit didn't fly in today's game. Seems to work all the time.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

This triggered Mychael Thompson to bring up the 89 finals sweep to the Pistons. The Lakers had so much time between the WCS and the Finals, Riley decided the team would go to Santa Barbara and hold two a days. Byron Scott pulled a hamstring before the finals. Then later, Magic pulled a hamstring in game 3 and the Pistons swept us.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
This triggered Mychael Thompson to bring up the 89 finals sweep to the Pistons. The Lakers had so much time between the WCS and the Finals, Riley decided the team would go to Santa Barbara and hold two a days. Byron Scott pulled a hamstring before the finals. Then later, Magic pulled a hamstring in game 3 and the Pistons swept us.

Riley cost that team the finals, obviously.

This team was as vet and proven as it gets.

You don’t run training camp for rooks. You let them rest a bit. That’s
what you get for sweeping everyone.

Still bitter about that year. It was theirs.

Bye.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

McHale and Isaiah ripped the Bulls players a new one on TV
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Has anyone pointed out that he got fired from Utah (when they were still in the MWC) for being a terrible coach and such an insane coach that like a third of the roster transferred out in a single offseason?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

I for one am enjoying the Bulls demise from the good old championship days to Reinsdorf's ineptitude.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Magic also pulled a hamstring because of other things. Bill Laimbeer wrote after the series that the "wearing out of Magic Johnson" was a big part of Coach Daly's plan. Daly had told the team that the Lakers' weakest defender in the main unit was Magic Johnson, and that coincidentally he was also their most irreplaceable creator and ball-handler. Daly directed the Pistons to intensify their offensive attack so as to attack Magic with the ball no matter who Magic was guarding, and as it turned out, much of the time Riley was trying to hide Magic in coverage on Joe Dumars. Dumars drove the ball on Magic and pulled up for mid-range jumpers endlessly. Killed Magic five minutes into game three.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice …

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Man look, I hear you... it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange... it's strange to me too, but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game... the actual game, when it matters... We're talking about practice …

yea, this kids ain't AI. AI stole a game from the greatest Duo in the finals... he can say that
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

yea, this kids ain't AI. AI stole a game from the greatest Duo in the finals... he can say that

Only Iverson could turn a 4-1 Finals loss into an accomplishment.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

the best quote I saw reported...

Quote:
"this ain't the Spurs, and you ain't Greg Popovich"

unnamed Bulls player in response to Boylen telling the team about how Popovich and Spurs do things...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: