Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

^I thought it was in reference to one-and-done for some reason.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Miye Oni -

Approx 6’7” w 7’ wingspan. Sleeper pick out of Yale. Has shown PnR abilities and flashed crosscourt passing. Change of direction into straight line drive. Takes wide path before attacking straight line. More offensive responsibility this season. Severely lacks in stocks %, Yale isn’t a strong defensive team overall.

Very good athlete, explosive to the rim when going downhill. 41% arc shooter on nearly 6 attempts per game. Big jump in TO% (24.5!) due to added offensive responsibilities.

Soft touch around the glass 5’ and in. Prevalent drive right, capable drive left. Flashes Eurostep, in/out, crossover. Doesn’t change speed. VERY underrated passer, especially in PnR situations. Not a ball-dominant player. Minimal touch time in a halfcourt set unless his number is called. Athleticism shows with shot contests, not stocks %. Like watching Jarrett Culver with additional burst, but not the timing of his PnR passes. Makes the correct reads. Taller Alec Burks?

I refuse to root for a Yalie.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

What would be the floor and ceiling NBA comparisons for Morant?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:

I've seen a couple games, and it's not enough tbh. I'd really like to see more 3-point consistency and cut down some of the TOs as well.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Positionless. That is my concern with Clarke. Don't feel he fits any position given his current skill set, athleticism and size.

Just play him 5/4.

It's interesting because he has the tools at 6'8 to defend point of attack consistently a la Roberson and Covington, but you'd want him closer to the rim if possible to leverage his awesome shotblocking instincts.

Nearly perfectly timed, here's a piece in Clarke from Jackson Hoy at The Stepien from over the weekend: link
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Any interest in Gonzaga junior PF Brandon Clarke? He's another 6'9 PF for a franchise that loves to draft them, but he blends LNJ's vertical hops, quick hands, and defensive awareness with some of Julius' handle and transition playmaking with some of Kuz's midrange floater game. But where he really shines is as an instinctual weakside shotblocker.

Here's some tape of him against Duke from last week:

Obviously Clarke doesn't have a lot of positives signs as a shooter - he's never hit more than 58% of his FTs in any of his three college seasons and he's a low volume 3pt shooter who only really shoots when wide open. Not to mention he has a funky release and shoots with little arc. The other issue will be how he holds up against NBA bigs and how much strength he can add to his frame - his value goes up immensely as a small ball C, but will he even be able to hold up even against Draymond or PJ Tucker in the post and on the glass?

I'm intrigued, though, because he seems Jordan Bell-ish with better length, handle, and passing vision, and I'd love Jordan Bell on the Lakers rn.

He is a nice player and was very active on both ends against Duke. I feel your LNJ comparison is spot on but did not look 6'9" to me.

Does not have the natural size/strength of Bell and might be too small as a small ball center.

Does he bring more to the court than Jonathan Williams"?

Clarke is an excellent rim protector, whereas Williams offers little to no rim protection at all. Clarke's also a notch or two above Williams athletically with quicker first step acceleration, superior lateral quickness, more explosiveness, better balance and body control in the air - all qualities that make Clarke a more versatile defender since he can legitimately guard wings and make him more effective on offense despite being still raw on that end. I don't think Clarke has a much more refined handle than JWIII, but that first step explosion, body control, and quick leaping ability means he gets past his man, executes a spin move, elevates while avoiding a charge from help and hits a hook in the lane; Williams gets stopped in the lane and has to pass out for a re-set on the same drive.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

Super duper preliminary Top 9+1:

Zion

RJ Barrett
Bol²

Jarrett Culver
Cam Reddish
De'Andre Hunter
Jontay Porter

Nassir Little
Kevin Porter
Ja Morant (?)
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I've seen a couple games, and it's not enough tbh. I'd really like to see more 3-point consistency and cut down some of the TOs as well.

When Lillard was drafted, he had spent some time at Weber State. If Morant is drafted next summer, he will have spent a shorter time at Murray State.

The short time spent at a small school won't be held against him?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

When Lillard was drafted, he had spent some time at Weber State. If Morant is drafted next summer, he will have spent a shorter time at Murray State.

The short time spent at a small school won't be held against him?

Not as much because he's been going up against Div I talent and showing out. I think he's an age 19 soph, so that helps too. Birthday not until August.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Zion

RJ Barrett
Bol²

Jarrett Culver
Cam Reddish
De'Andre Hunter
Jontay Porter

Nassir Little
Kevin Porter
Ja Morant (?)

From this year so far.

Zion

Jarrett Culver
De'Andre Hunter
Cam Reddish

RJ

Morant (this is an upside pick)
KPJ
Little

Jontay

Bol because I don't know where to put him on defense, and it's atrocious.

LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

I really like Charles Bassey.

I have a feeling he will be a top 10 pick. Really, really good player.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

LakersForever123 wrote:
I really like Charles Bassey.

I have a feeling he will be a top 10 pick. Really, really good player.

Have only seen one game, but just seems like a very grounded big with great perimeter touch. The game I saw, he didn't impact much defensively, and it was weaker comp. Shrug.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Zion

RJ Barrett
Bol²

Jarrett Culver
Cam Reddish
De'Andre Hunter
Jontay Porter

Nassir Little
Kevin Porter
Ja Morant (?)

From this year so far.

Zion

Jarrett Culver
De'Andre Hunter
Cam Reddish

RJ

Morant (this is an upside pick)
KPJ
Little

Jontay

Bol because I don't know where to put him on defense, and it's atrocious.

I clearly like defensively challenged bigs with guard skills.

This is such a topsy turvy draft early on outside of Zion that I'm tempted to push up solid, high production vets like Clarke, Grant Williams, and Gafford towards the lottery. Hopefully some of the bigger name young guys step up in conference play, because Grimes looks undraftable, Langford and Keldon's shooting scares me, Dort is giving me Lance Stephenson vibes, and Doumbouya has an issue scoring period. It's a very 2016-esque draft early on, and that's going to require a ton more work to parse out the Poeltl types from the Sabonises.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Most of these guys feel like they're in the same tier talent-wise. It's a unique case. So unless there's a player that really stands out with intangibles, you could hypothetically draft by positional need and come out ahead.

Early on, I don't really like Grimes or Langford. I haven't paid attention to Keldon. Dort reminds me of Shermand Douglas. Doumbouya is like a wing level project of Andrew Bynum... drafting on age and length than skill level.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

^ Iggy Brazdeikis continues to play well. He's an old freshman, but I don't see how he's not better than Keldon Johnson in nearly every way.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

^ Iggy Brazdeikis continues to play well. He's an old freshman, but I don't see how he's not better than Keldon Johnson in nearly every way.

He is. I have a tough time placing him. He has good instincts, just not a typical skills profile I usually seek. But, it's hard to turn down a guy that does so well off-the-ball. I just question how much of that is instinct vs. Beilein's offensive scheme.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

He is. I have a tough time placing him. He has good instincts, just not a typical skills profile I usually seek. But, it's hard to turn down a guy that does so well off-the-ball. I just question how much of that is instinct vs. Beilein's offensive scheme.

Beilein is a system recruiter, though, so it makes sense he'd identify guys regardless of RSCI rank who fit what he wants to do. I think there's a bigger question for Iggy's defense outside of Yaklich's defensive scheme, especially given questions about his wingspan at PF and lateral quickness at SF.

We'll see if his shooting levels off, but in this draft a solidly athletic combo-forward with his polish off the ball and at atracking closeouts who plays super hard, but under control is pretty intriguing even if he is a sophomore aged freshman. Sam Vecenie released his new draft board today and has Iggy down at #50 behind Kris Wilkes and Tyus Battle when I can't see a reason to rank him behind Johnson (#7), Grimes (#12), and even Langford (#8) except wanting to stubbornly cling to one's HS evals.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Beilein is a system recruiter, though, so it makes sense he'd identify guys regardless of RSCI rank who fit what he wants to do. I think there's a bigger question for Iggy's defense outside of Yaklich's defensive scheme, especially given questions about his wingspan at PF and lateral quickness at SF.

We'll see if his shooting levels off, but in this draft a solidly athletic combo-forward with his polish off the ball and at atracking closeouts who plays super hard, but under control is pretty intriguing even if he is a sophomore aged freshman. Sam Vecenie released his new draft board today and has Iggy down at #50 behind Kris Wilkes and Tyus Battle when I can't see a reason to rank him behind Johnson (#7), Grimes (#12), and even Langford (#8) except wanting to stubbornly cling to one's HS evals.

Athleticism and ceiling. Jaylen Brown coming out of college or Iggy.

Brown had a disappointing freshman season but I would still have to go with JB.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

If Iggy maintains like this through B1G play, I'd rank him ahead of Jaylen coming out of Cal. A healthy ego can be in a guy's favor, but I like guys who know who they are and aren't as deluded about their talent as Jaylen was and Josh Jackson still is.

Maybe Jaylen breaks through and becomes a star one day, but I don't see the passing vision or shot creativity to be much more than a 3&D+ 3rd option at his peak who'll need to be set up on most of his makes to be efficient. He's going to go through fits and starts fighting against that archetype for most of his young career because 1) he wasn't particularly good at the 3 part of 3&D at lower levels; 2) he was all-everything in high school and wants the adulation and money of stardom in the pros.

Iggy's already giving me 3&D with high-end cutting, controlled attacks on closeouts, and low turnovers. Admittedly Brown was the man on a mediocre Cal team with a putrid offensive system, but early on I think he and Brazdeikis would be in the same tier with Iggy slightly ahead, which is making me think of putting Iggy in the top 10 in this class.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

If Iggy maintains like this through B1G play, I'd rank him ahead of Jaylen coming out of Cal. A healthy ego can be in a guy's favor, but I like guys who know who they are and aren't as deluded about their talent as Jaylen was and Josh Jackson still is.

Maybe Jaylen breaks through and becomes a star one day, but I don't see the passing vision or shot creativity to be much more than a 3&D+ 3rd option at his peak who'll need to be set up on most of his makes to be efficient. He's going to go through fits and starts fighting against that archetype for most of his young career because 1) he wasn't particularly good at the 3 part of 3&D at lower levels; 2) he was all-everything in high school and wants the adulation and money of stardom in the pros.

Iggy's already giving me 3&D with high-end cutting, controlled attacks on closeouts, and low turnovers. Admittedly Brown was the man on a mediocre Cal team with a putrid offensive system, but early on I think he and Brazdeikis would be in the same tier with Iggy slightly ahead, which is making me think of putting Iggy in the top 10 in this class.

I agree with your analysis with Iggy being much more skilled as compared to JB. If he can be a cross between Ingles and Doncic that wold be a nice player. Not sure what position he fits but that seems to be less of an issue these days.

I do like the potential of Keldon Johnson and that would be a tough choice.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

^ I don't know if Iggy gets to the Ingles level of creation let alone Doncic's level. But the low turnover rate could auger well for him developing into a smart, efficient ball-mover. And Jimmy Butler was much more of an off-ball guy at Marquette, but his NBA initiating ability was presaged to some degree by his ball security in college and early NBA career.

Tbh, turnover prone creators like Trae and DLo are turning me off a bit these days (it's my major hangup on Morant) even if I know that historically a lot of top high volume initiators have gone through similar turnover prone stretches early in their careers. There's real value in guys who don't make a lot of mistakes even if - or especially when - they have lower USG%, particularly with guys who don't project to be primary or secondary initiators. That was my big mistake with Josh Jackson - I overrated his decisionmaking and feel for the game by looking at his playmaking against college PFs and downplayed how turnover prone he was against mostly college bigs who couldn't match his athleticism on the perimeter.

So I don't see Iggy as an on-ball guy even as much as Ingles is, but he's so mistake free at a young age and so clever at moving without the ball that he could potentially provide the offensive value of a good creator without ever running a PnR like Ingles can. It's hard to find a comp. Like, what would Ced Ceballos look like with an accurate 3pt jumper and an actual defensive motor?

As for KJ, I want to like him so bad. I liked him coming into the year, but it's hard not to shake the Wesley Johnson vibes. Is he a fake defender?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Is it easy for players to do a 2 handed dunk from the baseline outside the key off of 1 step? Zion seems to make that look easy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Yep, I saw the Top 100 and already wanted to move certain guys that I felt were under/overrated.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Reminds me of Landry Fields with the shooting.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

and the rich get richer......Vernon Carey (Class of '19) chooses Duke.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 17 of 441
Jump to: