OFFICIAL: College Football 2018 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The team with an argument is Ohio State, not Georgia.

If there is one thing...and only one thing the committee has been consistent about is a playoff team cannot have an extremely bad loss on their resume. Ohio State broke that rule this year and last year. I am not saying it is right or wrong, but I think we all believe that is a major elimination factor at this point. If they lose to Purdue by 10 points, they are probably a playoff team....or at least the debate would have been much more fierce. Oklahoma lost one game....to highly ranked team by 3 points....on a neutral field...and fortunately for them they even had a chance to avenge that loss on a neutral field in the same city. Even with one close loss...like the other 3 teams, the beat every team on their schedule.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I was going to wait until closer to the game.....but I am going out on that limb! If Hollywood Brown is healthy for the playoff game, Oklahoma will beat Alabama straight up.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I was going to wait until closer to the game.....but I am going out on that limb! If Hollywood Brown is healthy for the playoff game, Oklahoma will beat Alabama straight up.

Going way out on it! Georgia seems to be the toughest matchup for Saban due to Georgia's high-quality talent, coupled with the fact that Smart knows what goes on at 'Bama. I just don't know how OU does anything to stop the Alabama offense. OU will score some points, but they have never seen anything that comes close to resembling the Alabama defense. Assuming that Tua is healthy, I see the Tide controlling the game.

I'd like to see a close game, though. Would make for much greater entertainment.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
The Georgia head coach used the “pick the 4 best teams” argument to claim that his team should be in the playoff. And his team has 2 losses.

and he probably has a strong argument if it was truly the best 4 teams....

Quote:
Ben Fawkes Verified account
@BFawkesESPN

Per @JayKornegay, potential CFB spreads on neutral fields right now:

Georgia -6.5 vs. Ohio State
Georgia -3.5 vs. Oklahoma
Oklahoma -2.5 vs. Ohio State

11:06 PM - 1 Dec 2018

But how would UCF do in those spreads? Would you put both UCF and Georgia in a four team playoff?

I really do not know....probably get a decent idea when the LSU spread comes out....plus, I think UCF is a fundamentally weaker team without Milton. Milton was special....he may have not threw for 400 yards every game, but he was more like what Trace McSorley is at Penn State....where he is just the guy that makes it happen when it needs to happen.

Honestly, I almost avoided your question because I feel like it is kind of a trick question....and know you are low on UCF. Here is what I will say....in the world that exists, I would have selected the 4 teams that the committee selected. That said, if Milton was healthy, and we had not had any weekly rankings released, and I was selecting the 4 teams off resume, I would select....

1.) Alabama
2.) Clemson/Notre Dame
3.) Notre Dame/Clemson
4.) UCF (if Milton was healthy)

I disagree with many that Clemson is like Alabama and clearly separated themselves. I see similar flaws in Clemson that I see in Notre Dame in that they did not look great every week. They struggled with a mediocre Syracuse team, and gave up 600 yards of offense to a mediocre South Carolina team last week. So while my eyes tell me that Clemson is probably better and more talented, it is hypocritical of me to get on Notre Dame for a finding struggle in a schedule full of mediocre teams without pointing out Clemson had similar issues. Finally, yes....in a world where McKenzie Milton was the healthy starting QB, I would include UCF. I think winning matters, and if UCF does anything, they win football games. I know you will likely resist...but UCF is really freakin good at football. I was once of similar mind to you about non P5 teams...but this Milton led UCF squad has won me over. I will go a step further.....do not be shocked if they show up at the Fiesta Bowl without Milton and still hang an L on one of the best teams in the SEC.

Obviously I don’t think UCF is one of the top 4 teams but I was just curious what you thought. Wasn’t trying to play games.

I’ve shifted a bit on this. My main concern with even a healthy UCF team getting in is I feel it gives Alabama a big advantage in the playoff over the other teams.

But one of the things I love about this system is it fixes the biggest mistakes we saw in the BCS system. If this was the BCS, an undefeated Notre Dame team gets left out in favor of Clemson. In this system, they get to play each other to settle who gets to play in the final game. So if they wanted to throw UCF in there and have 4 undefeated teams I guess I wouldn’t be too upset about it. Oklahoma and Ohio State would have no shot in the BCS this year because they lost a game.

And sometimes the conference championship games are like playoff games. Oklahoma would be out if they lost. Georgia lost to Alabama so they’re out. You don’t advance in the playoffs if you lose a close game, so I don’t think Georgia deserves special treatment.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

^
In an 8-team CFP, we would have the following quarterfinal matchups:

Alabama vs. UCF
Clemson vs. Michigan
Notre Dame vs. Ohio State
Oklahoma vs. Georgia

OU vs. Georgia would be a hell of a game, just as it was last season. UCF would get its shot to show how good it is against 'Bama, with 3-loss Pac-12 champ Washington getting left out, and rightfully so. Clemson would probably have a big upper hand on Michigan, while Ohio State would probably have the same on Notre Dame.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject:

I did see talk about what a 6 team playoff would look like, with the top 2 seeds getting a bye. UCF would still be out so it would probably just be a step towards an 8 team playoff. And in an 8 team playoff, a much higher percentage of teams will not be conference champs. Personally I don’t like that but some won’t mind.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
You've been triggered for about four months.

I have been triggered by it far longer than 4 months....I complained before the BCS, during the BCS, and now during the playoffs. That is what sports fans do....not sure what else to say. I love college football, care about it as much as any other meaningless things we consume in life, and will not be satisfied until teams truly control their destination on the field. Look at the NCAA tournament....they select 68 teams...we complain for a few hours about a team or two left out, then we move on and love the tournament.

Your post felt personal. I would just say go visit the boxing thread and the people that love boxing....the Dodgers thread for those that love the Dodgers....same with the Rams. As a sports fan, whining, complaining, thinking you could make better decisions is all part the package. In the 2019 College Football thread, I will be back at it.

This is the College Football thread. This isn't the Whine About Whatever the Polls and the Committee Say thread. If you are going to endlessly whine and pretend you don't understand why things work the way they do, then you had better get used to being mocked as a whiner.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
And sometimes the conference championship games are like playoff games. Oklahoma would be out if they lost. Georgia lost to Alabama so they’re out. You don’t advance in the playoffs if you lose a close game, so I don’t think Georgia deserves special treatment.

I don't like the super conferences, and I don't like the conference championship games, which are the product of the super conferences. If the SEC East and West were separate conferences, Georgia would be 11-1 and a conference champion. But Georgia bought into this screwed up system because it wanted the money from being in a bloated conference that has a championship game. In effect, Georgia played a national quarterfinal game against Alabama, and lost. (That is not strictly accurate, because I expect that Alabama would have bumped OU if it lost to Georgia. But after all the flak from last year, I might be wrong about that.)

I am still annoyed that the BCS committee gave Alabama a do-over against LSU ten years ago. The SEC may be the strongest conference overall, but college football does not revolve around the SEC.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Something else that should change is the sponsor titled only bowls. I fully get the sponsor wants their name in the title....but the bowl should still have to have a name separate from the sponsor name. For example....

these are fine....

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl
AutoZone Liberty Bowl

not fine...

Belk Bowl
Camping World Bowl
Cheez-It Bowl
Dollar General Bowl

Players should not have to talk about their glory days, and include the Cheez-It Bowl! Let's say you are a Junior Safety for Buffalo....got 2nd Team All Conference and have been dating this attractive young lady a couple months....and you are finally going to meet her parents at Christmas....it is difficult to be proud about telling them you just played in the Dollar General Bowl. Just call it the Dollar General Great Southern Bowl....teams would be much more proud about playing in the Great Southern Bowl, and Dollar General still gets their marketing.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I don't like the super conferences, and I don't like the conference championship games, which are the product of the super conferences. If the SEC East and West were separate conferences, Georgia would be 11-1 and a conference champion. But Georgia bought into this screwed up system because it wanted the money from being in a bloated conference that has a championship game. In effect, Georgia played a national quarterfinal game against Alabama, and lost. (That is not strictly accurate, because I expect that Alabama would have bumped OU if it lost to Georgia. But after all the flak from last year, I might be wrong about that.)

I am still annoyed that the BCS committee gave Alabama a do-over against LSU ten years ago. The SEC may be the strongest conference overall, but college football does not revolve around the SEC.

seriously, this guy just became extremely irritated at what he described as me "whining" and complaining about the process and outcome in college football....literally dove into a personal diatribe about me expressing my displeasure about certain elements in college football in the college football thread. Just a couple posts above! This is more ironic than Hurts saving Tua and Alabama's national championship hopes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I did see talk about what a 6 team playoff would look like, with the top 2 seeds getting a bye. UCF would still be out so it would probably just be a step towards an 8 team playoff. And in an 8 team playoff, a much higher percentage of teams will not be conference champs. Personally I don’t like that but some won’t mind.

I once was more supportive of the 5+1 model (5 Conference Champions + Highest Ranked Independent or Group of 5 team)....but it seems like most are much more supportive of the 5+1+2 model (5 Conference Champions + highest ranked Group of 5 Champion 9 + 2 At Large Teams), and I have came around to it probably being the best. I simply want a system that allows every Power 5 school to control their destiny by winning their conference and access for the Independent/Group of 5 Schools. The committee could seed the 8 teams, and select the at large bids. We will still complain, but no team or fan could claim their team did not have a path to the playoffs on the field.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to go to Texas to watch my Irish beat up on Clemson. Got the ticket last night getting the plane ticket tomorrow.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Exactly who is pretending? Did you think that won-loss record doesn't matter, so that the committee could be thinking, "Hmm, I think Texas A&M would probably beat Notre Dame, so let's put the Aggies in the playoff"?

every freakin weekend.....ESPN and the Committee chairman repeat the line their primary goal is to select the 4 best teams in the country at the point they release rankings. Heather Dinich, the ESPN reporter that is mostly associated with and basically embedded with the committee was just on ESPN making this exact claim.

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1069056114220777472

Should I be anymore exact for you?

For goodness sakes, man. For months, all you have done is moan and groan about the polls and the playoff process. Everyone, including Heather Dinich, understands exactly how this works. If you play a real schedule, win your games, and win your conference, you are going to have a shot at making the playoff. If you play a glorified FCS schedule like UCF, no one really cares what your record is. If you play a real schedule but lose to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State, you are not going to make the playoff.

This isn't a mystery. Conference champions get preference unless there is a really compelling reason otherwise. If Georgia had run the table in the SEC, that might have been a sufficiently compelling reason to give them a pass. But they didn't. They lost to LSU. Now, the SEC exceptionalists (and man, do I have to deal with a lot of them down here) will tell you that Georgia deserves to be in because the SEC is the uber conference. I'm generally sympathetic to that argument, except (1) Georgia played in the SEC East, which is no tougher than the ACC, Big 10, or Big 12, and (2) Georgia played a non-conference schedule of Austin Peay (really), Middle Tennessee, UMass (really), and Georgia Tech. Even UCF would think that was weak.

Compare this to last year. Alabama got into the playoff without winning the conference championship because it lost to Auburn. But Alabama ran the table otherwise, and Ohio State beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 title game. So it came down to one-loss Alabama vs. two-loss Ohio State. That was compelling enough to get Alabama over the hump, but it was still highly controversial. This year, you want two-loss Georgia to bump one-loss conference champions Oklahoma or Ohio State. That would be absurd.

So no, the fact that Georgia gave Alabama a competitive game is unlikely to bump one of the conference champions out of the playoff. Georgia had its shot at Alabama, and it missed. Maybe no one can beat Alabama, but the conference champions deserve a shot more than Georgia deserves a rematch. It is not impossible that the committee will shock everyone in about an hour, but it would create one hell of a backlash.

No one is pretending that this works otherwise. I understand that you like to whine and cry about the polls and the selection process. That's your privilege. Just don't act like you don't understand how this works.

Preach!!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Heisman finalists.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25445709/tua-tagovailoa-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins-finalists-heisman-trophy

I’d be surprised if Murray upset Tagovailoa. It could be closer than people think, though.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Is he going to play defense as well? Lol that OU defense is trash with horrible tackling. This one is over by mid third quarter
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Heisman finalists.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25445709/tua-tagovailoa-kyler-murray-dwayne-haskins-finalists-heisman-trophy

I’d be surprised if Murray upset Tagovailoa. It could be closer than people think, though.

Murray is now the betting favorite, so we'll see. He's -170, while Tua is at +130.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Murray is now the betting favorite, so we'll see. He's -170, while Tua is at +130.

Really? The betting line is usually pretty accurate on these things. I thought Tua was more impressive, but I freely admit to having a bias against OU.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Really? The betting line is usually pretty accurate on these things. I thought Tua was more impressive, but I freely admit to having a bias against OU.

I think the final weekend was important in the race. Since Tua wasn't having a good game before getting hurt, and since he didn't lead the comeback win, and since Murray finished the season with video game numbers, I guess it was enough to make the oddsmakers think he is going to pull it out. Personally, I would vote for Tua, because I think he's been the best player in college football this season. But he hardly played in the 4th quarter all year long and I guess there could be sentiment to give it to the guy who played more.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject:

I think Tua's showing on Saturday will probably hurt him in the race, but to his defense he was in the medical tent twice and was hurt pretty early on with one ankle then later with the other one.

Numbers wise it's hard to argue against Murray having better numbers, but I do think Tua has been the best player this season.

If I was guessing I'd say Murray wins it.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

Good riddance. Still think he should have been fired.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25449933/ohio-state-buckeyes-head-coach-urban-meyer-retire-coaching-rose-bowl
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25449933/ohio-state-buckeyes-head-coach-urban-meyer-retire-coaching-rose-bowl

See ya pal. Always hated him.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

Conspiracy theory alert: Watch for Urban Meyer sightings in Los Angeles in 2019.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Conspiracy theory alert: Watch for Urban Meyer sightings in Los Angeles in 2019.

was going to say – part one of your theory has come to fruition
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

was going to say – part one of your theory has come to fruition

USC bound
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

I thought he would be a lifer at Ohio State since thats his alma mater,but is the reason for the rumors of him leaving for another job because of what happened this past offseason?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 27 of 40
Jump to: