Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
. . . As the Dodgers have a clear need for a second baseman (Segura can play SS or 2B), this could be of interest to us. . . .

Let me play devil’s advocate here regarding Segura. What is the cost and what is the gain of Segura over Kike or Taylor?

Segura has a salary of approximately $15M/per. Kike and Taylor should get somewhere in the $3-3.5M via arbitration, with Kike having one more year beyond until free agency and Taylor, two. I’m not sure what it would take to get Segura, but it will be a player of substance or multiple players from the farm system.

What do they add? I’ll go the Fan Graphs route for this one. Looking at wRC+ (which is somewhat their version of OPS+), Kike was 118, Taylor was 113, Segura was 111. Looking at WAR, Segura was 3.8 (with extra value added, relatively, since he played short), Taylor was 3.1, and Kike was 3.3. I don’t really see much, if any, improvement. Segura has good splits against both left and right handed hitting, and doesn’t strike out much, so he might be the better fit offensively, but I’m not sure he would be as good as either Kike (who looked quite good when I saw him) or Taylor defensively at second.

So, again, is the cost, factoring salary and player(s) traded, worth the potential upgrade, if any?

I get the numbers but I want to rely less on platooning especially over the course of a short series.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
. . . As the Dodgers have a clear need for a second baseman (Segura can play SS or 2B), this could be of interest to us. . . .

Let me play devil’s advocate here regarding Segura. What is the cost and what is the gain of Segura over Kike or Taylor?

Segura has a salary of approximately $15M/per. Kike and Taylor should get somewhere in the $3-3.5M via arbitration, with Kike having one more year beyond until free agency and Taylor, two. I’m not sure what it would take to get Segura, but it will be a player of substance or multiple players from the farm system.

What do they add? I’ll go the Fan Graphs route for this one. Looking at wRC+ (which is somewhat their version of OPS+), Kike was 118, Taylor was 113, Segura was 111. Looking at WAR, Segura was 3.8 (with extra value added, relatively, since he played short), Taylor was 3.1, and Kike was 3.3. I don’t really see much, if any, improvement. Segura has good splits against both left and right handed hitting, and doesn’t strike out much, so he might be the better fit offensively, but I’m not sure he would be as good as either Kike (who looked quite good when I saw him) or Taylor defensively at second.

So, again, is the cost, factoring salary and player(s) traded, worth the potential upgrade, if any?

I get the numbers but I want to rely less on platooning especially over the course of a short series.

I think both can play every day. Taylor did last year, and when Kike got more AB's last year, his numbers improved.

vs RHP .252/.338/.495/.833 > sOPS+ 126 (split OPS+)
vs LHP .260/.335/.445/.801 > sOPS+ 116

Segura:

vs RHP .300/.333/.404/.737 > sOPS+ 103
vs LHP .313/.361/.442/.803 > sOPS+ 124

For comparison at 2nd base:

2017 LForsythe: .224/.351/.327/.678
2016 C Utley: .252/.319/.396/.716
2015 HKendrick: .295/.336/.409/.746
2014 D.Gordon: .289/.326/.378/.704
2013 M. Ellis: .270/.323/.351/.674
2012 M. Ellis: .258/.333/.364/.697

2018 CTaylor: .254/.331/.444/.775
2018 Kike H:.. .256/.336/.470/.806
2018 Segura: .304/.341/.415/.755
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

read recently the Reds may consider trading Scooter Gennett to free up money for additional pitching and create a roster spot to bring up our top infielder prospect Nick Senzel. I would hate to lose Scooter as he is probably my favorite current player, but he would be a solid addition to any lineup that needs a 2nd Baseman. He is a little streaky at times, but when he is hot, he hits everything.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

read recently the Reds may consider trading Scooter Gennett to free up money for additional pitching and create a roster spot to bring up our top infielder prospect Nick Senzel. I would hate to lose Scooter as he is probably my favorite current player, but he would be a solid addition to any lineup that needs a 2nd Baseman. He is a little streaky at times, but when he is hot, he hits everything.

How about Zack Rosecup AND Rocky (what a great name for a baseball player!) Gale for him--two, two I say, for one!!!
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

How about Zack Rosecup AND Rocky (what a great name for a baseball player!) Gale for him--two, two I say, for one!!!
I read that Rosscup was DFA'd in order to bring some players to the 40 man roster and protect them from the rule 5 draft.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ribeye wrote:
adkindo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I read that Rosscup was DFA'd in order to bring some players to the 40 man roster and protect them from the rule 5 draft.

That's correct, Rosscup is no longer on the 40-man, along with Goeddel and Locastro (who was traded to the Yankees for a low-level minor leaguer). If those guys clear waivers, they could still be brought back.

ribeye, I get what you're saying, and that's a logical, fair argument. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of that first post after your post, which is that I value the security of an everyday guy that I know will play well and who doesn't strike out much. I just think we desperately need at least some variety in our lineup. I don't think a continuous stream of the same type of hitter coming up to the plate works in a short series against good or great pitching. Yes, we found a way to get to the World Series again this year, but it was arduous, and it felt like we were being exposed a bit. We have great talent but I don't like the approach. I think there would be value in getting a player like Segura. But I completely understand your thoughts and they make sense.

Also, Ken Rosenthal noted yesterday that the Dodgers and Indians were having various discussions. He talked about the fact that the teams could be a natural match because the Indians have made catcher Yan Gomes available, as well as Kluber or Carrasco. Gomes put up a .762 OPS with 16 homers over 403 AB's last season, and is a solid defensive catcher. He's due just over $7MM next season, and then has 2 team options after that. Seems reasonable enough for a 1-year deal, although he has had inconsistency both with health and with results over the past few years. The Dodgers have a surplus of outfield depth, and the Indians are the most short in that area. Brantley is going to leave as a free agent, and they have a hodgepodge of options like Tyler Naquin, Leonys Martin, Bradley Zimmer, and Lonnie Chisenhall. The Dodgers have catching prospects and Austin Barnes to offer up, along with pitching prospects, Alex Wood (would be a nice 1-year starter for someone), and those outfielders.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

@jonmorosi

Sources: #Nats, #Twins, #Dodgers have had at least preliminary talks with reps for free agent DJ LeMahieu.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@jonmorosi

Sources: #Nats, #Twins, #Dodgers have had at least preliminary talks with reps for free agent DJ LeMahieu.

Interesting as a second base option. He has a .264/.311/.362/.673 slash and a 78 tOPS+ away from Coors Park, so let's be careful here. As I have been saying, there are viable second base options on the roster that will cost much less than will trades or FA signings--or at least those so far presented

Last edited by ribeye on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@jonmorosi

I really hope they don't shell out a ton of money for DJ. I've watched him a ton in Denver and while he's a good player in Coors, not so much elsewhere.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Jon Heyman

Verified account

@JonHeyman
5h
5 hours ago

More
mets have checked in on big free agent pitchers, including ja haap, which may show how serious they are about the Syndergaard talks. doesn't mean they will trade Noah of course, as they need mlb ready impact back at multiple spots. c, cf and 2b would be the areas of interest

The Dodgers to happen to have a lot of depth at those spots and could, theoretically, offer up an interesting package. At C, we could give them Barnes, along with one of the catching prospects (Smith/Ruiz/Wong). In CF, we have Bellinger or Verdugo, and Bellinger would especially be a trade headliner. And at 2B, we have Taylor or Kike to potentially offer. Syndergaard has 3 years of team control left.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

@pedromoura

Sources: The Dodgers plan to hire Robert Van Scoyoc as their new hitting coach. A 32-year-old LA native, Van Scoyoc is the Diamondbacks’ hitting strategist. He has worked as a consultant for the Dodgers and with the likes of J.D. Martinez and Chris Taylor.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Now this is interesting stuff, as is a follow-up tweet to the original, and I'll post both...

Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale
Following
Following @BNightengale

More
Teams talking to the Cleveland #Indians say the Indians are much more inclined to trade Trevor Bauer than Corey Kluber or Carlos Carrasco. Bauer has 2 years of club control left, but the only one of the starters with cost uncertainty. He has two arbitration years left before FA.

(and the reply)

Travis Sawchik

Verified account

@Travis_Sawchik
15m
15 minutes ago

More
Travis Sawchik Retweeted Bob Nightengale
I'm guessing the Indians don't want to face/pay a fourth year of arbitration with Trevor Bauer in 2020 (It could be very expensive). But it also wouldn't surprise to see Bauer out-perform Kluber and Carrasco the next two seasons.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Finally, some fairly juicy Dodgers-related hot stove news. Jon Morosi is reporting that the Dodgers and Indians are discussing a Corey Kluber trade, where Yasiel Puig and another "significant player" would be on the move. And Jon Heyman is reporting that the Dodgers and Padres have offers on the table for former Angel pitcher Garrett Richards, who will probably miss all of 2019 after having Tommy John surgery in July. Heyman reports that the Dodgers are "making a push" for him. I'd imagine it would be a two-year deal, similar to how teams have operated in the past with starters recovering from TJ surgery. This is the deal that Eovaldi is just coming off of.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Garrett Richards has signed with the Padres, per Heyman. Jeff Passan offers some perspective on the money, and I am glad that the Dodgers didn't over-extend to land him, as the Padres clearly had to here...

Jeff Passan

Verified account

@JeffPassan
2m
2 minutes ago

More
The Padres’ deal with Garrett Richards is a straight two-year deal. It far exceeds the typical two-year, $10M deal others coming off Tommy John surgery have received. Speaks to the heavy interest in Richards and the upside teams see in his arm. Deal can max out at $18M.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

I think trading Puig would be a huge mistake. Aside from Turner he is our most reliable bat in October. And he's the heart of the team, IMO.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
I think trading Puig would be a huge mistake. Aside from Turner he is our most reliable bat in October. And he's the heart of the team, IMO.

Ideally, I don't want to trade Puig, but, I mean, if it lands you an ace, I'll reserve judgment until I see what the final deal is, if one is even reached.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

@jonmorosi

#Mets and #Dodgers have trade interest in #Indians catcher Yan Gomes, sources confirm. @Ken_Rosenthal first mentioned Gomes to L.A. as a possibility. It's unclear how the expected Cano/Diaz deal impacts #Mets ability to obtain Gomes.
@MLB @MLBNetwork
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@jonmorosi

#Mets and #Dodgers have trade interest in #Indians catcher Yan Gomes, sources confirm. @Ken_Rosenthal first mentioned Gomes to L.A. as a possibility. It's unclear how the expected Cano/Diaz deal impacts #Mets ability to obtain Gomes.
@MLB @MLBNetwork

If the Dodgers and Indians are discussing Kluber (or Carrasco or Bauer), you have to wonder if the talks could be expanded to include Gomes, too. As I've said, I'd rather just sign Wilson Ramos and not give up prospects to get someone like Gomes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

IMO this is good news. I didn't want Gomes, and it takes away a potential Wilson Ramos suitor...

Ken Rosenthal

Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
58s
59 seconds ago

More
#Nationals in serious discussions with #Indians about a trade for catcher Yan Gomes, sources tell The Athletic.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Nationals trade for Gomes. Also, the Angels surprisingly non-tendered Blake Parker. He was only due about $3MM in arb and even though he wasn't as good in '18 as he was in '17, he was still a useful reliever.

Dodgers also brought back Tony Cingrani today.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm down with the klubot
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Even more surprising than the Angels non-tendering Parker, Zaidi decided to non-tender Giants reliever Hunter Strickland.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that Dave Roberts has agreed to a four-year contract to manage club through 2022. The announcement was made by Dodger President, Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman.

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1069652823493697538
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that Dave Roberts has agreed to a four-year contract to manage club through 2022. The announcement was made by Dodger President, Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman.

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1069652823493697538

I wish I could boycott this team but I'm too much of a sucker. I don't know if i can survive 4 more years of bad managerial decisions. Didnt we have enough of that with Mattingly?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

I think having a solid 2nd baseman would be nice. But more a luxury than a need in 2018.

Justin Turner
Corey Seager
Some Dude
Cody Bellinger (hope they keep him playing one position and he gets solid enough against lefties that he doesn't have to be platooned)

That's a pretty good infield both offensively and defensively.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 19 of 248
Jump to: