Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
How would you guys describe the pros and cons comparing Bol Bol to Porzingis?

I wouldn't really. Bol Bol's skills are all or nothing, like Lonzo in PnR vs. Lonzo's transition passing.

The difference for me is, Bol Bol doesn't have Porzingis's twitch. Just a hyper smooth athlete that might trip over his own feet. Terrible man-defender (who does he actually defend next level?) but could be a stud help defender, push the break, and make transition 3s. What do you do with that?

Then you come across the potential health issues with players of that height/length combination and don't seem to have great lower base for their frames...

So you are saying he's like a Great Dane or Ralph Sampson?

Good for about 5 years...

Ralph Sampson had a motivation issues, and actually had some twitch/strength. Unlike Bol, he stayed in college. He actually played a front line position on both ends.

Like, the good news is, Bol Bol has some guard skills.

The bad news is, he's a 7'2" 200lb guy that defends like a guard. Can't change direction. Can't commit laterally more than 2 steps. Can't sit down. Can't handle a screen. Can't box out.

So what can he do?

Defend shot attempts. He effectively needs to play zone by himself.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I wouldn't really. Bol Bol's skills are all or nothing, like Lonzo in PnR vs. Lonzo's transition passing.

The difference for me is, Bol Bol doesn't have Porzingis's twitch. Just a hyper smooth athlete that might trip over his own feet. Terrible man-defender (who does he actually defend next level?) but could be a stud help defender, push the break, and make transition 3s. What do you do with that?

Then you come across the potential health issues with players of that height/length combination and don't seem to have great lower base for their frames...

Ralph Sampson had a motivation issues, and actually had some twitch/strength. Unlike Bol, he stayed in college. He actually played a front line position on both ends.

The bad news is, he's a 7'2" 200lb guy that defends like a guard. Can't change direction. Can't commit laterally more than 2 steps. Can't sit down. Can't handle a screen. Can't box out.

So what can he do?

I see... well, thanks for the insight as always.

I'll try to watch him if I see one of games coming up.

Those shooting numbers are hard for me to resist.

10 RPG isn't too shabby for a weakling either.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

So what can he do?

Man, I see Ingram's improved movement and explosiveness from his time at Duke, JJJ and Bamba looking more fluid in the NBA already, etc., and I'm willing to wait to see how Bol physically progresses up through the draft and if he can get more comfortable in his body against college competition.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
10 RPG isn't too shabby for a weakling either.

How hard is it when your reach is 9'6" and playing at the NCAA level?

I think that all disappears next level. How's Porzingis's rebounding pre-injury?

11 to 12%. Good. For a guard.

Quote:
Man, I see Ingram's improved movement and explosiveness from his time at Duke, JJJ and Bamba looking more fluid in the NBA already, etc., and I'm willing to wait to see how Bol physically progresses up through the draft and if he can get more comfortable in his body against college competition.

I think he's gone in the lottery so he was never an option for LAL. But JJJ and Bamba didn't have his specific athleticism issues at all.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

UNC's Coby White would be an intriguing option as a mid-1st pick. He has a Svi wingspan at 6'5 and his vision is lacking for an NBA starting PG, but he's one of the best pure scorers in CBB as a freshman, and would be a better fit on the Lakers than most teams since he could play next to bigger playmakers.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
UNC's Coby White would be an intriguing option as a mid-1st pick. He has a Svi wingspan at 6'5 and his vision is lacking for an NBA starting PG, but he's one of the best pure scorers in CBB as a freshman, and would be a better fit on the Lakers than most teams since he could play next to bigger playmakers.

I was all about Charles Matthews as a later pick. He doesn't have range because he doesn't have the strength and the shot is flat, but that guy has NBA level offensive dribble moves and it looks natural as hell.

And he shut down my guy Cam Johnson.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I was all about Charles Matthews as a later pick. He doesn't have range because he doesn't have the strength and the shot is flat, but that guy has NBA level offensive dribble moves and it looks natural as hell.

And he shut down my guy Cam Johnson.

he looked good tonight
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

not sure if anyone took advantage of the wisdom I dispersed earlier in the thread about keeping an eye on Dylan Windler (Belmont). If not, be sure to check him out....been a little up and down, but dropped 31 points and 8 rebounds last night....averaging 20 PPG and 8 RPG as a 6'8" Wing. I think he would be a great pickup late 1st or 2nd Round in the draft. Belmont plays at UCLA on 12/15.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not sure if anyone took advantage of the wisdom I dispersed earlier in the thread about keeping an eye on Dylan Windler (Belmont). If not, be sure to check him out....been a little up and down, but dropped 31 points and 8 rebounds last night....averaging 20 PPG and 8 RPG as a 6'8" Wing. I think he would be a great pickup late 1st or 2nd Round in the draft. Belmont plays at UCLA on 12/15.

Sam Vecenie has a nice scouting report on him if you're an Athletic subscriber.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

cool....he has not got very deep into the draft on his podcasts yet....I assume that he will in the new year. I do not listen to all of them, but usually read the descriptions and he has been more NBA focused lately. Hopeful the Stepien podcasts return soon.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Have not watched him in a game and he is playing overseas this year but anyone have thoughts on Marcus Lovett Jr?

Good athletically, offensively talented with the ability to score at the hoop and outside. Hard to judge point guard skills but seems capable.

Able to create his own shot which I like.

Lakers need a small guard to complement Lonzo and he seems to match similarly as S Ponds.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

Ponds out here putting on a show. Starting to like him with a pick in the 20s. Smaller pg who can score, good compliment to Lonzo.

Who was it who was on him last season?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Ponds out here putting on a show. Starting to like him with a pick in the 20s. Smaller pg who can score, good compliment to Lonzo.

Who was it who was on him last season?

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Any interest in Gonzaga junior PF Brandon Clarke? He's another 6'9 PF for a franchise that loves to draft them, but he blends LNJ's vertical hops, quick hands, and defensive awareness with some of Julius' handle and transition playmaking with some of Kuz's midrange floater game. But where he really shines is as an instinctual weakside shotblocker.

Here's some tape of him against Duke from last week:

Obviously Clarke doesn't have a lot of positives signs as a shooter - he's never hit more than 58% of his FTs in any of his three college seasons and he's a low volume 3pt shooter who only really shoots when wide open. Not to mention he has a funky release and shoots with little arc. The other issue will be how he holds up against NBA bigs and how much strength he can add to his frame - his value goes up immensely as a small ball C, but will he even be able to hold up even against Draymond or PJ Tucker in the post and on the glass?

I'm intrigued, though, because he seems Jordan Bell-ish with better length, handle, and passing vision, and I'd love Jordan Bell on the Lakers rn.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

cool....he has not got very deep into the draft on his podcasts yet....I assume that he will in the new year. I do not listen to all of them, but usually read the descriptions and he has been more NBA focused lately. Hopeful the Stepien podcasts return soon.

Vecenie had a nice chat with Danny Leroux about some of the top prospects the other day: https://twitter.com/DannyLeroux/status/1068693242571411457

Link's in the tweet.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Any interest in Gonzaga junior PF Brandon Clarke? He's another 6'9 PF for a franchise that loves to draft them, but he blends LNJ's vertical hops, quick hands, and defensive awareness with some of Julius' handle and transition playmaking with some of Kuz's midrange floater game. But where he really shines is as an instinctual weakside shotblocker.

Obviously Clarke doesn't have a lot of positives signs as a shooter - he's never hit more than 58% of his FTs in any of his three college seasons and he's a low volume 3pt shooter who only really shoots when wide open. Not to mention he has a funky release and shoots with little arc. The other issue will be how he holds up against NBA bigs and how much strength he can add to his frame - his value goes up immensely as a small ball C, but will he even be able to hold up even against Draymond or PJ Tucker in the post and on the glass?

I'm intrigued, though, because he seems Jordan Bell-ish with better length, handle, and passing vision, and I'd love Jordan Bell on the Lakers rn.

He is a nice player and was very active on both ends against Duke. I feel your LNJ comparison is spot on but did not look 6'9" to me.

Does not have the natural size/strength of Bell and might be too small as a small ball center.

Does he bring more to the court than Jonathan Williams"?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely. I had posted in the page before that I may prefer him over Konate.

Dude completely changed his shot too. He's so much stronger than he shows. He doesn't really have a position. He just defends big and is potentially switchable (though he got beaten a few times today along the perimeter).

He finishes, has a clue on drive/kick from 20' out, and is actually willing to shoot. Positionless. It is like a different version of Jordan Bell.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

Absolutely. I had posted in the page before that I may prefer him over Konate.

Dude completely changed his shot too. He's so much stronger than he shows. He doesn't really have a position. He just defends big and is potentially switchable (though he got beaten a few times today along the perimeter).

He finishes, has a clue on drive/kick from 20' out, and is actually willing to shoot. Positionless. It is like a different version of Jordan Bell.

Positionless. That is my concern with Clarke. Don't feel he fits any position given his current skill set, athleticism and size.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Positionless. That is my concern with Clarke. Don't feel he fits any position given his current skill set, athleticism and size.

Just play him 5/4.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

How is Oregon ranked 18?

I watched to try to see Bol Bol play, but the team is so incompetent that it's hard to tell.

He is how he's been described on this thread... but I wonder how he'd function on a team that was good and could exploit his strengths.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Miye Oni scored 29.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Miye Oni -

Approx 6’7” w 7’ wingspan. Sleeper pick out of Yale. Has shown PnR abilities and flashed crosscourt passing. Change of direction into straight line drive. Takes wide path before attacking straight line. More offensive responsibility this season. Severely lacks in stocks %, Yale isn’t a strong defensive team overall.

Very good athlete, explosive to the rim when going downhill. 41% arc shooter on nearly 6 attempts per game. Big jump in TO% (24.5!) due to added offensive responsibilities.

Soft touch around the glass 5’ and in. Prevalent drive right, capable drive left. Flashes Eurostep, in/out, crossover. Doesn’t change speed. VERY underrated passer, especially in PnR situations. Not a ball-dominant player. Minimal touch time in a halfcourt set unless his number is called. Athleticism shows with shot contests, not stocks %. Like watching Jarrett Culver with additional burst, but not the timing of his PnR passes. Makes the correct reads. Taller Alec Burks?

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Miye Oni -

Approx 6’7” w 7’ wingspan. Sleeper pick out of Yale. Has shown PnR abilities and flashed crosscourt passing. Change of direction into straight line drive. Takes wide path before attacking straight line. More offensive responsibility this season. Severely lacks in stocks %, Yale isn’t a strong defensive team overall.

Very good athlete, explosive to the rim when going downhill. 41% arc shooter on nearly 6 attempts per game. Big jump in TO% (24.5!) due to added offensive responsibilities.

Soft touch around the glass 5’ and in. Prevalent drive right, capable drive left. Flashes Eurostep, in/out, crossover. Doesn’t change speed. VERY underrated passer, especially in PnR situations. Not a ball-dominant player. Minimal touch time in a halfcourt set unless his number is called. Athleticism shows with shot contests, not stocks %. Like watching Jarrett Culver with additional burst, but not the timing of his PnR passes. Makes the correct reads. Taller Alec Burks?

Looks very athletic in the highlight tape. Good size. Intriguing tbh.

But would an Ivy League guy leave school early?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Miye Oni -

Junior?

PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PartyMan wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Miye Oni -

Junior?

I just assumed (perhaps ignorantly) those guys would want to graduate first.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 16 of 441
Jump to: