Ever been in an Auto Accident?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Ever been in an Auto Accident?

Care to share the details?

I've been rear-ended a few times over the years, one caused zero dollars in damage, the other about $1,300 to a car I was about to sell anyway. It happened on the 405 freeway, when all the traffic stopped and I looked back to see some jerk, that I knew was not going to stop in time, so I put the brake on hard and braced my neck! No injuries.

The only wreck I have ever caused was on my way to High-School Graduation, I rear-ended a class-mate, doing minimal damage to his parents car, but really messed up the front-end of my first car. It didn't exactly make for a happy graduation day... Again, no injuries.

I consider myself a very good defensive driver and have even avoided many accidents over the years, but often times it is just a matter of (bad) luck..

Next...

Last edited by unleasHell on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

years ago. Post call (intern, obgyn rotation, 36 hrs straight... no lie). Fell asleep driving home (even after multicups of caffeine), woke up under a truck with truck driver banging on my window/trying to break my window (he thought I was hurt). Lucky, I wasn't harmed. Last time I drove tired ever
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
years ago. Post call (intern, obgyn rotation, 36 hrs straight... no lie)

womens hospital sleep rooms are the best tbqh
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
governator wrote:
years ago. Post call (intern, obgyn rotation, 36 hrs straight... no lie)

womens hospital sleep rooms are the best tbqh

true... no more calls post residency, sleep in my Cali King Bed
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

First year after college, I was on the way to an out of town client early on a Monday morning in January. I was traveling from Charleston, WV to Parkersburg, WV on I-77 North. It is a mostly rural stretch of highway for about 2 hours. It was cold (25ish degrees buy warming from an overnight low in the high teens) and partially sunny when I left my home.....but soon after I got on the highway, I hit a stretch of heavy white snow which created a near whiteout condition. I was driving a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 extended cab which did not always handle well on wet/slick roads when in 2WD because of the weight distribution of a pickup....the heavy front and light bed allowed the rear to get loose and come around if not careful. I knew this, and began to drive extremely cautious and slow for several miles. Then as quick as the whiteout condition happened, it disappeared and became perfectly clear and sunny. The condition change caused me to put my guard down, and pick up speed to make up for lost driving time.....within a mile or two, I crossed one of those short bridges (maybe 50 yards long) that connects the highway over a narrow valley below, and it was covered in black ice!

Halfway across the bridge, my truck was sideways going probably 70 MPH....brakes were totally useless and I saw that I was going directly into the median guardrail (that extended for about 20 feet and curved in to prevent cars coming the other way from missing the bridge going over the embankment into the valley below). Once my truck hit the rail, it flipped over the railing and rolled over 2.5 times and slid on its top for about 15 yards leaving the truck upside down in the median with the driver side door pressed against the median embankment.

Within a second or two, I realized I was alive, and could move my limbs fine.....but the windows were blacked out by mud, and it was my first experience with an airbag deploying which filled the cab with what I thought was a white smoke.....but it ended up being a powder substance the bag is packed in. I thought the truck was on fire (I swear I began to feel extreme heat ), and I could not get my door open because it was against the bank. I panicked and was likely screaming like a teenage girl when I could tell someone was banging on the rear sliding window. Others had stopped, and was trying to get in the rear window, so I climbed back, and exited through the rear sliding window. The truck was twisted and tangled....except the cab was nearly intact, and I had no significant injuries.

The state trooper showed up, and was informing me that he would have to ticket me for failure to maintain control of my vehicle and as he was writing the ticket, another driver hit the same black ice and was coming somewhat in our direction. After we moved out of the way, he put his ticket book up and mumbled "nobody can drive in these conditions".
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

I was in three head on crashes before the age of 15

Newspaper route age 6 ..Datsun 510 boxcar racing around corner in our lane. We were in a 1973 Mercury Montego. He died instantly

Van and an oak tree at 30mph

Semi truck and bridge with 70 foot drop off...whew we didn't go over

Only accident in my years of driving was some lady pulled a uturn in front of me which I couldn't stop for and was not my fault
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Outside of being rear ended a few times over the years, I have been a few serious ones.

The first was many years ago. I was in my late teens and driving my VW Fastback along Mulholland. A car coming the opposite direction drifted wide coming out of curve and onto my side of the road. There's no shoulder so I had to try and squeeze by and then turn quickly so I didn't go off the side of the road at the corner. It was too much for the rear engined car and my attempts to gather it up with oversteer weren't enough to gather it in and I fish tailed before the top heavy car flipped on its side and then bounced over onto its wheels again. I was in the backseat from the rollover and the car started to roll backwards to the edge of drop-off. Fortunately I was able reach between the seats and yank the handbrake before the rear wheels rolled off the embankment. I looked over the see the other car had slowed to see what happened and then drove off when they saw I had stopped.

A few years later I was driving on the 405, admittedly speeding. Another car was behind me following as I moved through traffic. I came to gap I know I wouldn't make and slowed down, but he decide to try and make it and clipped my right rear at about 85 miles an hour. That spun my car immediately in a 90 degree angle and straight at the center divider, which launched my car in the air and it flipped over completely. Fortunately no one ran into me. But the other driver clipped the front of the car in the other lane which got knocked into the car next to it and they both got rear-ended. So four cars got totaled and severely damaged. The driver who hit us of course did not stop. This was in the days before airbags. So the only thing that kept me from smashing into the steering column was my seatbelt, which left me with a fractured clavicle and massive bruising across my chest. I also suffered a concussion due the rapid deceleration when I hit the center divider.

Another time I was driving on Wilshire late on a Friday evening. I was passing right in front of the LACMA when a Grand Cherokee in the left turn lane decided it wanted to go right instead and didn't see me coming up in the far right lane. He turned right in front of me and I t-boned it with no chance to brake. The car I was driving then did have an airbag which knocked the (bleep) out of me, so I blacked out for several seconds. I came to to see the Jeep resting its roof, but fortunately the driver had managed to climb out unhurt. At first I was pissed as hell, but he was so apologetic and so concerned about me that I calmed down and was glad we were both relatively ok (an airbag going off in your face and chest is not a pleasant experience).
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

I’ve been rear ended a handful of times but knock on wood, I’ve been able to just drive off. Twice I didn’t even get out of my car and just waved peace. Don’t really give a (bleep) about minor damages and dents. I’ll just cover them up with garbage pail kids stickers.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

I had a fender bender when I was 19. No biggie.

The craziest one I know of was from my buddy at work. Long story short, years back he was mangled (bone sticking out of his leg, jaw on the side of his face, etc.) multiple casualties, including a young boy. The accident wasn't his fault. He actually still picks glass shards out of his face.

He looks perfectly fine now, but has multiple metal bones and screws in his body. He says he can feel when lightning is going to strike and has to take cover somewhere. He told me after all the surgeries, he got sober from the medications and realized he had divorced his wife and got married to a "lesbian", which never made sense to me lol. They're still married at least. With a mutual girlfriend on the side.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Driving for 21 years.

None.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
(an airbag going off in your face and chest is not a pleasant experience).

My best friend knows that feeling. He says they're surprisingly hard. He also said it was "hot".

His story is kind of funny actually. He rear ended a car getting on the freeway. Very minor accident. Airbag didn't go off until he got mad at himself and punched the steering wheel.

He had such a good sense of humor about it afterwards, he said all he could think of was that one lucky commuter that drove by and saw it happen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I had a tire blowout in the #2 lane (just to the right of the fast lane) on the 105 freeway going west, around Crenshaw Blvd, when I was in my early 20's. I was going about 75 and my car just lost control immediately, and began spinning in a clockwise motion towards the embankment on the right side of the freeway. The car completed at least two full spins, probably more, and I could've hit anything, as I crossed over 3 lanes. I had no control over the car whatsoever, a Honda Civic Coupe 2-door. By some miracle, I didn't hit any cars (it was average traffic on a weekday afternoon), and my car ended up hitting the embankment. It came to rest on the shoulder and completely facing the oncoming traffic, but not in the way of anything. Not only could I have hit another car, but the car could've flipped over if it had hit the embankment in a certain way, or it could have come to rest in the way of the oncoming traffic.

I got extremely lucky that day that I wasn't seriously injured, or worse. I didn't even have a scratch on me.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I rear ended someone, they slammed their breaks (still not sure why) when we were both going 80 near SD and I didn't have enough of a buffer to safely react and stop. I had enough time to check if the lane next to me was safe to swerve into, and it wasn't. So I just chose to rear end him. I was probably going 45 and he was going 20 when the impact happened. Turns out bumpers are really good, we were both perfectly fine and I honestly think bumper cars at the arcade have more impact.

I learned my lesson about giving enough space between my car and the one in front, but very annoyingly people see that space as an opportunity to pass you up and eat into the space. So with any amount of traffic it's almost impossible to keep that cushion of space. I think the vast majority of people who drive in the left lane are susceptible to rear ending someone in the same situation as me.

I don't drive anymore except on rare occasions though so it doesn't really matter. And when I do drive I go 65 on the highway, saving 10 minutes just isn't worth it.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

Two years ago was riding in a car with 5 passengers, I was sitting behind the passenger seat. Our driver was going about 50 mph down a main city street, green light. A car coming the opposite way was making a yield left turn and decided for whatever reason to stop his car right in the middle of the intersection. Driver of our car had enough time to react and go around the guy but she freaked the (bleep) out, swerved right going 50 right into the corner, missed the light pole by 6 inches, crashed into a metal fence instead. Minor injuries, car was totaled. The other driver sped off. I rarely sit in a car now if I'm not the driver.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Rainy road, driving up a curvy part of Cahuenga. Up ahead I see a guy on the left, trunk open, getting a spare tire out. All of a sudden my Jeep spins out of control on an oil slick, I’m now sliding backwards, brakes locked, right towards the man looking in his trunk. I lay on the horn, I’m about to crush him when he turns around and dives out of the way at the last second. I hit his car straight on. Our cars were minimally damaged, but I told him my insurance would take care of any damage I did...he then said, “Help me fix this flat tire and we’ll call it even.”. I did, and we both went on our way. Good guy.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Once when I was 22 and had my first car. I was on the 405, looking to change into the left lane with my signal on. The car in the left lane decided to speed up to keep me from changing lanes, so I let off the gas with my eye on the driver side rear view mirror so I could change lanes behind the guy once he passed. Like an idiot, I only kept looking at the mirror and didn’t realize the lane I was in had come to a near stop and I clipped the car in front of me on his left side bumper, spinning us both out. Very fortunately, no one was hurt and only one other car was hit in the fallout with minor damage. My car and the car of the guy I hit both had fairly major cosmetic damage but were still driveable. No accidents since.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Fortunately, I haven't been involved in any accidents.

But my girlfriend has. She was the passenger and her mother was the driver and some drunk guy hit the driver's side and killed her mom. It happened in 2007. My girlfriend only had minor injuries, but the accident has obviously impacted her tremendously. She mostly avoids driving and only does it when she has to.

Her sister was almost killed a couple years ago when another drunk guy hit her when she was crossing the street and then she was stuck under the car and the car dragged her for a couple blocks, causing serious injuries to her skin and many broken bones. Her sister has mostly recovered but she still struggles.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

2 at-fault. First, I doze-off on the wheel and rear-ended a private school transport van gently at a red light. Nothing serious. Though, a year later, the driver, which I knew she was going to do due to stereotypes and prejudice which I won't disclose of, gave a lawsuit against me and auto insurance provider. Saying she was severely injured, got nerve damage and all the other (bleep) her lawyer said. (bleep), you were okay and walking fine. How come I didn't get a lawsuit from the children's parents? Good time when I had 3 jobs!

The other was I lost control of my car on the highway after speeding and made a sudden right turn. Hit the concrete guard rail. Car was total, got a check from insurance and got chest pain for a week.

Several of them were people hit my car. Since I always drive old beat-up cars, I don't care much of the damage. I get those checks from their auto insurance provider and deposit the checks in a savings account.

I always hope someone hit me every time I drive.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
I doze-off on the wheel and rear-ended a private school transport van gently at a red light. Nothing serious. Though, a year later, the driver, which I knew she was going to do due to stereotypes and prejudice which I won't disclose of, gave a lawsuit against me and auto insurance provider. Saying she was severely injured, got nerve damage and all the other (bleep) her lawyer said.

Reminds me of one time I was the middle car in a relatively small rear end collision. Traffic came to a stop, so I did as well. A moment later I heard tires screeching behind me and knew what was coming. The car behind me hit me hard enough that he knocked my car into the car in front of me.

The car in front of me had a small scratch, I had a a couple of dings in my bumper from the car that hit me's license plate frame and that car had its license plate frame semi-dislodged.

When the woman in the car at the front jumped out, the first things she said was, "You guys hit the wrong lady. I already have whiplash from another accident and I've got a great lawyer . . ." and I remember thinking, "Man, am I glad I'm not the poor guy who rear-ended us".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

But my girlfriend has. She was the passenger and her mother was the driver and some drunk guy hit the driver's side and killed her mom. It happened in 2007. My girlfriend only had minor injuries, but the accident has obviously impacted her tremendously. She mostly avoids driving and only does it when she has to.

Her sister was almost killed a couple years ago when another drunk guy hit her when she was crossing the street and then she was stuck under the car and the car dragged her for a couple blocks, causing serious injuries to her skin and many broken bones. Her sister has mostly recovered but she still struggles.

Oh man! That's horrible on both counts. So sorry they had to go through those things.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Rainy road, driving up a curvy part of Cahuenga. Up ahead I see a guy on the left, trunk open, getting a spare tire out. All of a sudden my Jeep spins out of control on an oil slick, I’m now sliding backwards, brakes locked, right towards the man looking in his trunk. I lay on the horn, I’m about to crush him when he turns around and dives out of the way at the last second. I hit his car straight on. Our cars were minimally damaged, but I told him my insurance would take care of any damage I did...he then said, “Help me fix this flat tire and we’ll call it even.”. I did, and we both went on our way. Good guy.

Good guy indeed. It'd be great if more situations like that could be handled in such reasonable fashion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Conker wrote:
I doze-off on the wheel and rear-ended a private school transport van gently at a red light. Nothing serious. Though, a year later, the driver, which I knew she was going to do due to stereotypes and prejudice which I won't disclose of, gave a lawsuit against me and auto insurance provider. Saying she was severely injured, got nerve damage and all the other (bleep) her lawyer said.

Reminds me of one time I was the middle car in a relatively small rear end collision. Traffic came to a stop, so I did as well. A moment later I heard tires screeching behind me and knew what was coming. The car behind me hit me hard enough that he knocked my car into the car in front of me.

The car in front of me had a small scratch, I had a a couple of dings in my bumper from the car that hit me's license plate frame and that car had its license plate frame semi-dislodged.

When the woman in the car at the front jumped out, the first things she said was, "You guys hit the wrong lady. I already have whiplash from another accident and I've got a great lawyer . . ." and I remember thinking, "Man, am I glad I'm not the poor guy who rear-ended us".

Insurance pays it. Though the only problem I dislike is hiring a lawyer. Mine's was some adjudicated-withheld-guilty registered sex offender. Just another salesman trying to install fear into me. I told him in his face: "Look here, I know the system. I paying you just to make a simple phone call." Trying to hustle me $500 like I'm some chump
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Those few seconds when you do not have control or the split second before impact is terrifying. It was probably a year or two before I was truly comfortable driving in poor weather conditions after my crash. I literally pulled off exits a couple times and waited for conditions to improve soon after my wreck.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Twice. I wasn't behind the wheel, though.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Driving for 21 years.

None.
uh huh. if you say so mike

you're probably the guy that cut off someone in this very thread. yeah you didnt get into an accident you just cause them. lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: