American missionary tries to convert indigenous island people; receives the Magellan treatment
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: American missionary tries to convert indigenous island people; receives the Magellan treatment

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/24/american-killed-remote-tribe-believed-god-helping-reach-island/

Quote:
On Wednesday, the Indian authorities said that Mr. Chau had been shot with bows and arrows by tribesmen when he got on shore and that his body was still on the island.

>be American
>travel across the globe to deliver thoughts and prayers
>get shot

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

am amazed these populations still exist in the world. If he would have just asked me the following question instead of God, he would still be alive...

Quote:
"Why did a little kid have to shoot me today?"

Answer: Because you are not welcome on the island, and they will use lethal force if you attempt to visit the island. Maybe the little boy missed because God was protecting you....or maybe the boy had poor aim. Either way, all signs point to not returning.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject:

To add insult to his injury: he PAID some fishermen $325 to take him to the island...

I can see it now, 30 seconds after the last arrow enters his body, he awakes to meet St. Peter at the Pearly Gates of Heaven:

St. Peter: Name please?

Dead Guy: John Allen Chau, sir

St. Peter (looking in his book): John Edgar Chau?

Dead Guy: No, I'm John Allen Chau

St. Peter: Oh yeah, I found it, wait a minute, you're only 25 and we were not expecting you for another 43 years! What happened?

Dead Guy: Well you see sir, I went to North Sentinel Island to convert the natives and to spread the good word...

St. Peter (interrupting): What? You know how many missionaries we've lost there?

Dead Guy: Uh, no sir.

St. Peter: HUNDREDS!

Dead Guy: Well, I wish I knew that before I tried to go there.

St. Peter (looking again at the book): Hmm, it doesn't say you are stunted in here.

Dead Guy: Well no, no I'm not, I was just trying to do God's work.

St. Peter: Fine, you can do his work here, report to the stables..

Dead Guy: Can I get a new shirt? This one has a lot of holes in it and is all stained.

St. Peter: Beat it, before I send you "Downstairs"...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

The desire of this island's populace to keep outsiders out is notoriously well known and has been for a long, long time. And the goal of allowing them to remain isolated for their own protection is established law.

The notion that somehow you are going to supersede all of that simply because you are bringing them "christianity" is the epitome of religious arrogance getting exactly what it deserves - a cold, hard violent death.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject:

He should have told them he was seeking asylum.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The desire of this island's populace to keep outsiders out is notoriously well known and has been for a long, long time. And the goal of allowing them to remain isolated for their own protection is established law.

The notion that somehow you are going to supersede all of that simply because you are bringing them "christianity" is the epitome of religious arrogance getting exactly what it deserves - a cold, hard violent death.

I do not agree with that take....sure it was illegal and stupid for the man to do what he did.....but I do not think "illegal and stupid" is deserving of a "cold, hard violent death".
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I do not agree with that take....sure it was illegal and stupid for the man to do what he did.....but I do not think "illegal and stupid" is deserving of a "cold, hard violent death".

There’s a very important reason that people are legally forbidden from visiting the island - the introduction of diseases and viruses these people have not been exposed to have no tolerance to. The island’s populace could be wiped out virtually overnight by being exposed to the wrong things. It takes a great deal of selfishness and arrogance to put the population’s survival at risk simply to attempt to impose your personal beliefs on a group of people who have no need or desire for them.

Combine that with the fact that everyone who even approaches the island is shot at and several have died over the years indicates that these people are determined to keep themselves isolated. This guy knew what he faced and yet he attempted to violate these people’s sanctity in order to impose his ideals and put them at risk by doing so.

Yes, this man got exactly the fate he asked for and deserved. To assert otherwise demonstrates the same arrogance he exhibited. You don’t get to violate the purity of that kind of population for your own purposes. And please don’t go down that, “he was trying to improve the quality of their primitive lives” because that is garbage excuse and further proves the arrogance and lack of respect
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I do

I was so (bleep) mad when I read about this
If any villagers are arrested or punished then he needs to be sent "Downstairs"

They warned him with arrows
"Oh, isn't that cute. They have little sticks with rocks on the ends" "That won't stop me, I'll still FORCE!!! my presence there"
The government has made it ILLEGAL to harass these natives

Got what he deserved

If any villagers are punished I have already thought to write his church and family to ask them to petition the government to punish them instead
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I do

I was so (bleep) mad when I read about this
If any villagers are arrested or punished then he needs to be sent "Downstairs"

They warned him with arrows
"Oh, isn't that cute. They have little sticks with rocks on the ends" "That won't stop me, I'll still FORCE!!! my presence there"
The government has made it ILLEGAL to harass these natives

Got what he deserved

If any villagers are punished I have already thought to write his church and family to ask them to petition the government to punish them instead

They aren't going to arrest the islanders and have arrested the fishermen who helped Chau get to the island, as it should be.

And now Chau's stupid decision have lead to another issue, putting people in the dangerous position of trying to retrieve the body, though it sounds like they may abandon that effort and Chau's family is supportive of that decision.

The man's sense of entitlement was beyond selfish and put others at risk.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

This guy was a moron. These are the same type of people that ignore those warnings to not go to North Korea to spread the good word.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Can't apply 'modern' human thinking to the tribe

It was irresponsible behavior by the missionary and he unfortunately is responsible for his death. In the name of religion is not an excuse

The question is should the Indian government retrieve his body (which would subject the tribe to another enccounter)
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

It was irresponsible behavior by the missionary and he unfortunately is responsible for his death. In the name of religion is not an excuse

The question is should the Indian government retrieve his body (which would subject the tribe to another enccounter)

They tried and backed off when it was clear that the tribe was not going to let them land on the island without a fight.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:

They tried and backed off when it was clear that the tribe was not going to let them land on the island without a fight.

He's an American... we kinda have to get the body, no?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:

And a Xtian...

Wonder if Trump will chime in

I say
*Leave them alone and leave his body there

**I applaud the family for being helpful
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Num ber von jabroni, baba.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

You guys are missing the entire, and dare I say beautiful, message in this sweet uplifting story. The natives converted him.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:

I don't know that there are any requirements to do so.

Bow-wielding tribesmen scare off police searching for body of American missionary

The police are taking great efforts to avoid any direct contact with the Sentinelese, a pre-neolithic group whose island is barred to visitors.

Though Chau's death is officially a murder case, anthropologists say it may be impossible to retrieve the American's body and that no charges will be made against the protected tribe.

Meanwhile, Chau’s family have said they forgive the tribe for their actions and are not pushing for his remains to be returned to the US.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

Omar Little wrote:
You guys are missing the entire, and dare I say beautiful, message in this sweet uplifting story. The natives converted him.

. . . to worm food.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

There’s a very important reason that people are legally forbidden from visiting the island - the introduction of diseases and viruses these people have not been exposed to have no tolerance to. The island’s populace could be wiped out virtually overnight by being exposed to the wrong things. It takes a great deal of selfishness and arrogance to put the population’s survival at risk simply to attempt to impose your personal beliefs on a group of people who have no need or desire for them.

If he exposes them to Christianity, they could die from stupidity. It killed him after all. That kind of persistence reminds me of Pence wanting to convert Jews to Christians right after their community was assaulted with the 2nd Amendment.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

How exactly was he supposed to communicate with these people? The moment they saw him they must have immediately felt threatened. I would expect to get attacked immediately. And it’s not like they could understand a single word he might say.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Hey if you jump into a lion's den and get eaten alive, it's expected. I see this as a similar situation. Those people are pre neolithic so they don't have the same mindset as normal people living in 2018. It's well documented that if you go there, they will kill you. Darwinism at it's best.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Also, there are like 50 of those people left. How are they patrolling the entire island? I looked up the island on Google earth, it's quite large. Some amateur filmmaker somewhere is definitely thinking of going there and filming some undercover footage for sure. I'd watch it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

If a people want to be left alone why not allow it? These people are happy with there existence. Why intrude?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If a people want to be alone why not allow it? These people are happy with there existence. Why intrude?

Not sure anyone is suggesting someone should....but claiming a a human "deserves" death based on the guys actions is repulsive in my opinion. That said, I am not suggesting the tribe should be held legally accountable if that is not the legal precedent for similar actions in the past. There does seem to be a narrative with this story and how it is being reported as the government is taking a hands off approach to these people, and that is not exactly the case. The government heavily protects them through legislation and actively utilize national security resources to protect this population because they could not survive all of the threats and dangers in the modern world. They may not know it, but they are heavily reliant on the government for their continued existence.

Isn't this the same group who killed the fishermen in recent years who lost power to operate their boat, which then drifted to close to the island? If i recall, they killed them with arrows, swam out and drug their bodies onto the island, and they have never been seen again. Is that also fair game?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the man deserved to die. I believe he knew the danger of intruding into the lives of these people. What's puzzling is how so many pictures of the islands people are on google. LINK Why weren't the people who took the pictures killed?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: