Kemba Walker [is a perfect example of not giving up on young talent too early]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
I get what the OP is trying to say but

Kemba DOMINATED in the big east tourney

Steph DOMINATED in the tourney

KD DOMINATED in his one year at Texas

these are flashes. There are things you see to give yourself that patience. Like “wow that’s something to build on”.

Ingram didn’t do much in the tourney and has been an OKay pro

Lonzo got lit up by D Aaron Fox in the tourney. Puts up stats but also is an OK pro

Just show us something that says this maybe a star or superstar guy

So to say Charlotte didn’t give up on Kemba too soon, well why would they ? He showed a DOMINANCE in college our guys are easily forgettable

I heard Ben Simmons dominated also.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
Forget kemba, Can we re-sign Randle? Lol boy out here putting up triple doubles.

I like Randle but his D has dropped off quite a bit this year. Maybe it’s his contract year again and he wants to put up counting stats but he can’t protect the rim. Guys are scoring pretty easily when he’s at the 5. His on/off numbers and DRPM reflect this issue too.

Source: watching NOP league pass games because of AD lol.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:

these are flashes. There are things you see to give yourself that patience. Like “wow that’s something to build on”.

Lonzo got lit up by D Aaron Fox in the tourney. Puts up stats but also is an OK pro

So to say Charlotte didn’t give up on Kemba too soon, well why would they ? He showed a DOMINANCE in college our guys are easily forgettable

I heard Ben Simmons dominated also.

Okafor won NCCA championship unlike Tatum. I see a big future for him in the NBA. That Grayson Allen dude took over in the finals. Will be a sure shot all star. 😂
Villain6Activated
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
BI has scored over 26 pts one time since high school. So much for being a 20 ppg scorer. That has to be unprecedented.

Is that really true? Damn BI will never be a KD type for us.... Tayshaun Prince here we come

This was clear to anyone keeping up with Ingram by the end of his rookie season, this label and him forced to be some sort of a second option will be the start of his downfall.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:

Kemba and Steph stayed there years in college. Lonzo at UCLA has had a great impact as any top rookie in college basketball given they haven't been a top program interms of record for a while. But let's rave about Kemba and Steph dominating in 3rd year 'cos no one remembers their rookie seasons unlike one and dones.

Scoring is cool guise
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Sure if u don't have LeBron James on ur squad
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

1ngr4m wrote:
Ujah's Goat wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
BI has scored over 26 pts one time since high school. So much for being a 20 ppg scorer. That has to be unprecedented.

Is that really true? Damn BI will never be a KD type for us.... Tayshaun Prince here we come

This was clear to anyone keeping up with Ingram by the end of his rookie season, this label and him forced to be some sort of a second option will be the start of his downfall.

You're right. Anyone who saw KD play in college could have told us that - he was always hyper aggressive on offense. BI has a similar body type (albeit a few inches shorter) but he never had that natural offensive punch to his game that KD displayed early on.

Neither did Zo.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

They called Ingram "next KD" because he was long and lanky and was considered a 3 point shooter, and Lakers fans used it to make themselves feel better about probably not getting Ben Simmons.

Meanwhile they made fun of fan favorite/Kobe favorite Buddy Hield.

Welp.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Kemba is going to be either in NY or LA next year.

Have a hard time seeing him turn down a max 5 year deal from the Hornets.

Several guys have done that though. I’m not sure he wants to piss away the rest of his career to be on a team that is fighting for an 8th seed and is basically unknown outside of Charlotte.

Nobody has turned down a supermax iirc.

Kawhi technically?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Have a hard time seeing him turn down a max 5 year deal from the Hornets.

Several guys have done that though. I’m not sure he wants to piss away the rest of his career to be on a team that is fighting for an 8th seed and is basically unknown outside of Charlotte.

Nobody has turned down a supermax iirc.

Kawhi technically?

Well they never offered it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Most likely North Carolina.

Maybe. But that team isn't going anywhere. They can offer the most money no doubt. But I've followed Kemba for years going back to UCONN, and he's not made that way. It's probably eating him up inside that he hasn't gotten anywhere in the playoffs.

My guess is he's eyeing NYC.

It's eating him up that he hasn't gotten anywhere in the playoffs, so you think he's eyeing . . . NYC. What?

Anyway, I bet Kemba Walker gets discussed more on this board than on the Hornets' board, if there is one.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Most likely North Carolina.

Maybe. But that team isn't going anywhere. They can offer the most money no doubt. But I've followed Kemba for years going back to UCONN, and he's not made that way. It's probably eating him up inside that he hasn't gotten anywhere in the playoffs.

My guess is he's eyeing NYC.

It's eating him up that he hasn't gotten anywhere in the playoffs, so you think he's eyeing . . . NYC. What?

Anyway, I bet Kemba Walker gets discussed more on this board than on the Hornets' board, if there is one.

Conditioned upon another top FA joining him and Porky coming back healthy. That’s better than Charlotte.
BigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Funny how majority of the responses misses the point of this thread
lakers11521
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Let’s be real here let’s see him do this next season when he’s not in a contract year and is not trying to make an all NBA team to be eligible for the super max which is around 221 million.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:

This thread had a point? Technically, I guess it did. It started with a rambling discussion of Kemba Walker in the middle of the Lounge. I guess it could be summarized as "If we keep the young players for another four or five years, there's a chance that they could be as good as Kemba Walker, and if they take long enough to develop, we might have them on cheap contracts, too!"

Most people moved on to other topics while waiting for the mods to recover from Thanksgiving dinner long enough to lock this silly thread.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:

LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

BigBoi wrote:

Yes - on behalf of those who actually read his post, I apologize to the OP for those who clearly did not.

My takeaway from your post is that we really need to be patient. Especially for a player like BI, we will probably need to wait until his 2nd contract (like Kemba) to see if he can realize his significant potential. He's a late bloomer. And Lonzo's development is going to take time too.

That's a bitter pill for many fans to swallow. It may also be tough to get BI's agent to accept a smaller contract even if it's obvious that his development is still a work in progress. Rob and Magic will need to deal with that issue too.
Kobe2Lonz0
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject:

[quote="AllorNothing"]
SGVL1 wrote:

Lonzo was a One and Done, dude.
Your comparison lacks rationale
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Kemba's having his Isaiah Thomas-in-Boston moment. This may be the absolute peak year of his career. Only the timing is much better for him, contract-wise.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

I understand the need to be patient and realize that even with lotto picks, the chances of one becoming a very good starter to all-star type player are probably 15-20%, which means only 1 out of every 5 years being in the lottery are you likely to get a good starter. Stars are born, and despite the Espn hype, they only come around every so often.

If Randle would have wanted to stay around on a year deal with an option at $9 million a year, I could have dealt with that. If BI or Ball are still developing and are willing to take a reasonable deal, I'm happy to go along with it.

What I have trouble with (and Randle is a good example) is someone who hasn't played like a star, still has holes in their game as basic as being able to shoot, and because of only one year of college still need a couple of years to develop basketball IQ. Then couple that with now wanting a max deal or some number way over their current playing ability.

If Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart come to the end of their contracts essentially the same players they are now and want way over their current value, then I say, "see ya." If they play like stars, have above average stats for their positions, and show improvement in their weak areas, then they deserve the best contracts their playing ability dictates.

Personally, I think Ball and Ingram have to play better than their current level to show they earning their $5-6 million salaries. Kuzma and Hart so far have shown they are exceeding their $1.5 million salaries. That's just me, I expect higher earners to produce more. One year deals skew things, but most of those guys are basically like a contractor, here short term. Guys working their way up out of college need to produce before they earn the big bucks.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

contract yr
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:

Randle led Kentucky to the title game in dominating fashion
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
BigBoi wrote:

Yes - on behalf of those who actually read his post, I apologize to the OP for those who clearly did not.

My takeaway from your post is that we really need to be patient. Especially for a player like BI, we will probably need to wait until his 2nd contract (like Kemba) to see if he can realize his significant potential. He's a late bloomer. And Lonzo's development is going to take time too.

That's a bitter pill for many fans to swallow. It may also be tough to get BI's agent to accept a smaller contract even if it's obvious that his development is still a work in progress. Rob and Magic will need to deal with that issue too.

We haven’t been patient
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

I live here in Hornetsland, and I wished he'd been traded away a long time ago. Most of the team's fans I know aren't wild about Kemba. He's been not an answer to this team's problems in any sense. He's been a Hornet for eight seasons, only one of which yielded .500+ finish (.524). His play is symptomatic of this club's problems: poor player chemistry, lousy defense, individualistic play. He hogs the ball. He wears me out.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I understand the need to be patient and realize that even with lotto picks, the chances of one becoming a very good starter to all-star type player are probably 15-20%, which means only 1 out of every 5 years being in the lottery are you likely to get a good starter. Stars are born, and despite the Espn hype, they only come around every so often.

That's the problem with these types of threats. That fact that Kemba blossomed after a slow start says nothing about our players.

You could just as easily make this threat, "Cody Zeller [is a perfect example of why you should not hold onto your young talent too long]"

Again, don't really see what this has to do with our situation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: