2019 LA Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 246, 247, 248  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Ryu accepts the offer. Welcome back Hyun Jin.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

DeGrom wins the Cy Young, and he deserved it despite only having 10 wins. Doesn't make up for RA Dickey winning it over Kershaw back in 2012, but at least that one was pretty close to call either way. Hoping Buehler takes a big step forward next season and gets in the Cy Young competition.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791215-dodgers-kenley-jansen-to-undergo-heart-surgery-could-miss-2-8-weeks

speedy recovery big man
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
DeGrom wins the Cy Young, and he deserved it despite only having 10 wins. Doesn't make up for RA Dickey winning it over Kershaw back in 2012, but at least that one was pretty close to call either way. Hoping Buehler takes a big step forward next season and gets in the Cy Young competition.

Yep...baseball writers are really starting to get it right.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791215-dodgers-kenley-jansen-to-undergo-heart-surgery-could-miss-2-8-weeks

speedy recovery big man

Scary stuff. Positive vibes sent in his direction.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject:

Apparently the Marlins want Bellinger in any deal for Realmuto. I can't see the Dodgers doing that. I'm OK with trading Bellinger but only for an ace, like a deGrom or something.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Apparently the Marlins want Bellinger in any deal for Realmuto. I can't see the Dodgers doing that. I'm OK with trading Bellinger but only for an ace, like a deGrom or something.

I don't think the two are that far off in value today, but Bellinger still has room for growth, so, if I were at the helm, I'd ask for a reliever as well--though I can't think of one from their team (or their system but I hardly know their prospects) that excites me.

But from what I've read, the Marlins want Bellinger AND Puig or Verdugo.

Get a grip, fish.

How about Muncy, cheap, with four more seasons before FA (also about equal in value to Realmuto, but not a catcher, a position of great value due to scarcity of talent) and Barnes or Connor Wong (a catcher, the 16th ranked Dodger in the minors) + another lower level prospect.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I don't think the two are that far off in value today, but Bellinger still has room for growth, so, if I were at the helm, I'd ask for a reliever as well--though I can't think of one from their team (or their system but I hardly know their prospects) that excites me.

Get a grip, fish.

How about Muncy, cheap, with four more seasons before FA (also about equal in value to Realmuto, but not a catcher, a position of great value due to scarcity of talent) and Barnes or Connor Wong (a catcher, the 16th ranked Dodger in the minors) + another lower level prospect.

I'd do Muncy, Will Smith, and a non-elite pitching prospect for him. Smith becomes far more expendable if you're getting Realmuto, and I believe Ruiz is the better catching prospect anyway. With Realmuto under team control for 2 more seasons, there's a good chance that Ruiz would be ready to go by 2021 as the starter. Or maybe you extend Realmuto, who knows.

Though Muncy will be cheap for a while, he's already 28, so I just don't know if that fits what the Marlins want to do. That's why Bellinger is appealing to them, and it's why I'd imagine Verdugo is, too. They are probably looking for young MLB talent or high-end prospects.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Suzuki signs with Washington, so that's one catching option gone.
DodgersLakeFan1977
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Except for the one schmuck who refused to vote for DeGrom solely based on his W/L record. That guy is an (bleep).
DodgersLakeFan1977
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Get a grip, fish.

I'd do Muncy, Will Smith, and a non-elite pitching prospect for him. Smith becomes far more expendable if you're getting Realmuto, and I believe Ruiz is the better catching prospect anyway. With Realmuto under team control for 2 more seasons, there's a good chance that Ruiz would be ready to go by 2021 as the starter. Or maybe you extend Realmuto, who knows.

Though Muncy will be cheap for a while, he's already 28, so I just don't know if that fits what the Marlins want to do. That's why Bellinger is appealing to them, and it's why I'd imagine Verdugo is, too. They are probably looking for young MLB talent or high-end prospects.

Not to mention the almost guaranteed sophomore slump. The league will have him figured out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

DodgersLakeFan1977 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:

Except for the one schmuck who refused to vote for DeGrom solely based on his W/L record. That guy is an (bleep).

At least that's the exception these days. In a redo with current voting standards, Mike Trout would have a few more MVP's under his belt too.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of media voting. Some $hitlord in tampa put in 2 tampa guys over ohtani for ROTY. These people need to be stripped of their ability to vote.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Yankees trade for James Paxton. I hope the Dodgers don't just sit idly by this winter, as other contenders do things to improve their teams. If we aren't in on any of the major free agents, I can live with that, but we have the ability to make a major acquisition via trade. I just think we're making a mistake if we do nothing.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Yankees trade for James Paxton. I hope the Dodgers don't just sit idly by this winter, as other contenders do things to improve their teams. If we aren't in on any of the major free agents, I can live with that, but we have the ability to make a major acquisition via trade. I just think we're making a mistake if we do nothing.

I agree, but, often, the best deals are the ones never made--in other words, don't make deals just to make deals as "no" deals beat "bad" deals.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I agree, but, often, the best deals are the ones never made--in other words, don't make deals just to make deals as "no" deals beat "bad" deals.

Sure, but if you got deGrom or Syndergaard and they were good for you for however long you had them, I can live with stuff like that. There's no salary cap in baseball so it's not like you have the same type of worries that you would in the NBA. I feel like the Dodgers have the ability to do something big but, at least so far, have not pulled the trigger. And yes, if we had traded Bellinger for Dozier before Spring Training 2017, that would've looked bad. But the Red Sox went out and got Chris Sale, and they've had back-to-back great seasons, with one title. I just feel like if we stand pat while other teams get better, we're wasting an opportunity.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

https://www.truebluela.com/2018/11/19/18095295/dodgers-alex-verdugo-play-him-or-trade-him

Interesting article. Do we trade away Joc to make room for Verdugo?
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

While I like Joc he's too much of a liability against left handers. Does verdugo have better splits?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
https://www.truebluela.com/2018/11/19/18095295/dodgers-alex-verdugo-play-him-or-trade-him

I would, yes. Verdugo may not hit as many homers, but he's likely to have better at-bats on a nightly basis against righties. And his defense will be far, far better. It's time to let Verdugo play if we don't trade him. He has nothing left to prove in the minors. Trade him while he has great value (an acquiring team could control him for 6 years), or play him.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I would, yes. Verdugo may not hit as many homers, but he's likely to have better at-bats on a nightly basis against righties. And his defense will be far, far better. It's time to let Verdugo play if we don't trade him. He has nothing left to prove in the minors. Trade him while he has great value (an acquiring team could control him for 6 years), or play him.

It doesn't matter Roberts won't play him against left handed pitching any way he is only a .700 OPS overall so he will be platooned. Pederson had an overall .847 OPS last year. They need to keep Muncy he had about a .900 ops and the splits didn't matter but Roberts insisted they platoon him. Either that or sell high but get something good.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Looking forward to a healthy Seager coming back, Walker Buehler domination, and a full season of Julio Urias.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
While I like Joc he's too much of a liability against left handers. Does verdugo have better splits?

Last year at OKC:

vs Right .304/.371/.445/.816
vs Left .396/.442/.542/.984

I'd say he is exactly what the team needs, that is if major league pitching doesn't do to him what it does to most who come up.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

If the right players come back, sure. Verdugo will be a vastly better defensive player and will have quality at bats at the top of the order. The only issue is whispers of an attitude problem from his first call up, but I think it's overblown.

In other Dodger-related news, Adrian Beltre retired. A darn shame that PDP didn't re-sign him and instead used the money to sign JD Drew. Of course, Borass and the Dodgers pathetic ownership had a lot to do with it as well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject:

The Mariners were thought of as a team that could be looking to shed salary at the outset of the offseason, as ownership is not exactly thrilled that they spent pretty heavily to try to contend over the past couple of years, only to see what amounted to a mediocre team over that time. (They were 78-84 in 2017, and even though they were 89-73 last year, that came with a -34 run differential and their Pythagorean W-L suggests that they played like a 77-win team.) Sure enough, they've already traded James Paxton for young pieces from the Yankees, and there are now rumors that Jean Segura could be available, and especially so if a team would take Mike Leake in a package with him. As the Dodgers have a clear need for a second baseman (Segura can play SS or 2B), this could be of interest to us.

Segura, who will turn 29 in March, has turned in 3 strong seasons in a row as he's hit his prime. In '16, he slashed .319/.368/.499 in hitter-friendly Arizona. After his trade to Seattle, he slashed .300/.349/.427 in '17, and then .304/.341/.415 in '18. Of course, Seattle is a tougher environment to hit in, accounting for the slugging %, I would imagine. He's also cut his strikeouts over the last 3 seasons, from 101 to 89 to just 69 last season. He put up 4.3 WAR last season, and that's his average over the past 3 seasons. He's a good fielder and has stolen at least 20 bases in every season since 2013. He's just about to begin a 5-year extension for $70MM; he makes a $14.85MM salary over each of the next 5 seasons, with a $17MM team option in '23 or a $1MM buyout. If he were on the open market, would signing this player from his age 29-33 seasons at basically $15MM a season be worth it? I think he's clearly worth it, but maybe the Dodgers will be aiming higher if they want to swing a trade.

Leake is basically an innings-eater at this point, as a guy who profiles to have an ERA of around 4, will pitch about 180 innings, and make about 30-31 starts. His ERA's and FIP's all suggest about 4 ERA pitching, so there's no upside, really, and of course he doesn't strike people out. The real issue is that he's due $16MM in '19, $15MM in '20, and then has an $18MM mutual option or a $5MM buyout in '21. So he's owed an awful lot of money for a guy who profiles as a #5 starter.

For me, taking Leake's salary would be an absolute no-go, and I suspect that it would be for Dodger management, too, unless Matt Kemp were heading the other way in a trade to relieve some of the salary pressure of this winter. (In theory, Kemp could DH for them, since they are going to apparently lose Wilson Cruz as a free agent.) But I like Segura.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
. . . As the Dodgers have a clear need for a second baseman (Segura can play SS or 2B), this could be of interest to us. . . .

Let me play devil’s advocate here regarding Segura. What is the cost and what is the gain of Segura over Kike or Taylor?

Segura has a salary of approximately $15M/per. Kike and Taylor should get somewhere in the $3-3.5M via arbitration, with Kike having one more year beyond until free agency and Taylor, two. I’m not sure what it would take to get Segura, but it will be a player of substance or multiple players from the farm system.

What do they add? I’ll go the Fan Graphs route for this one. Looking at wRC+ (which is somewhat their version of OPS+), Kike was 118, Taylor was 113, Segura was 111. Looking at WAR, Segura was 3.8 (with extra value added, relatively, since he played short), Taylor was 3.1, and Kike was 3.3. I don’t really see much, if any, improvement. Segura has good splits against both left and right handed hitting, and doesn’t strike out much, so he might be the better fit offensively, but I’m not sure he would be as good as either Kike (who looked quite good when I saw him) or Taylor defensively at second.

So, again, is the cost, factoring salary and player(s) traded, worth the potential, if any, upgrade?

Last edited by ribeye on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 246, 247, 248  Next
Page 18 of 248
Jump to: