Do insects have animal rights?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Do insects have animal rights?

I know large animals have animal rights: cats, dogs, birds, fish, etc. What about insects? worms? Do they have any animal rights? Who determines these rules? Are they local rules or international rules? I can see bees having animal rights.

What about pets? Some people have pet ants. I think those would be protected. I guess all pets would be protected?

I was watching a video on youtube and a guy was pouring some hot molten aluminum onto a wasp nest in the ground, just to make a casting. I thought, that's just so wrong.

So, is there actually a definitive answer for which animals are protected and which aren't? Where do they draw the line?

Here's some info I found:

Quote:
State Animal Cruelty Laws
This is where it gets interesting. Some state animal cruelty laws explicitly exclude all invertebrates (e.g. Alaska Stat §03.55.190) or all insects (e.g. New Mexico Stat §30-18-1) by excluding them from their definition of the word "animal."

However, some states do not exclude insects from their laws. For example, New Jersey's definition of "animal" includes "the whole brute creation" (N.J.S. §4:22-15). Minnesota's definition of "animal" is "every living creature except members of the human race" (Minn. Stat. §343.20).

In jurisdictions where insects are covered by the state animal cruelty statutes, the needless, intentional killing of an insect is illegal and may carry a fine or even imprisonment. Whether charges are filed and the case is actually prosecuted is a separate issue, however. I was unable to locate a single animal cruelty case involving a praying mantis or insect of any kind.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

I am the harbinger of death to ants, roaches and houseflies. I bring holocaust to them and all their kind.

Nary a bug will ever cross my site without a swift and merciless end coming their way. I've researched a lifetime of methods, strategies and plan meticulously to impose a culling, a massacre if you will, to them and their kind again and again and again.

No man made law can ever dissuade my nature, and I have brothers in this war throughout the world as well. We will fight to our last breath.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

most "pests" are in no danger of being extinct and obviously have no higher level of thinking. kill away with extreme prejudice.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Curious as to how you’d deal with a wasp nest attached to your house without harming a wasp in anyway.

Or would you leave it there?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Curious as to how you’d deal with a wasp nest attached to your house without harming a wasp in anyway.

I think it's not the killing part - but how you do it.

Pouring molten aluminum into their nest seems kinda cruel.

I was just wondering where do you draw the line.

It's a genuine question. I honestly don't know. I know there's cruelty to crabs - like when you boil them alive people have a problem with that. But then, what about sand fleas? Is there cruelty to sand fleas? Or cruelty to clams?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Soapy water can kill wasps with ease. But most people call an exterminator or wait till winter when they die out/leave.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Expresses me feelings on the subject perfectly.

LINK
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Starting Fluid!

Get it at Pep Boys or an Automotive parts place, it is the absolute best way to kill yellow jackets, hornets, bees and really any insect.

Simply put, it melts their wings, they dissolve instantly and if you get it on the nest, it shrivels up into a gooey ball of death!

Do get cute and try to ignite anything, just use it as is!

Also Yellow jackets hunker down on the nest and seem to sleep at night, so the best time to attack is pre-dawn..
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject:

Determining which of gods creatures is worthy of death is the definition of playing god. God has a plan (so we've heard) and god is infallible (goes the story line) so any being whom challenges the wisdom of gods plan is engaging in an affront to god. Rumor is, God doesn't take too kindly to those who doubt his plan and violate his edicts like: THOU SHALT NOT KILL. Kill gods insects at your own peril, but don't be surprised to meet a 50 foot tall angry wasp waiting for you at the pearly gates, because god clearly has a pretty warped sense of humor, and a PLAN..
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

I dunno about wasps, but European bees might need to be protected in coming years due to their importance to man. That's the kind of insect that if encountered in large mass, might be better suctioned away and boxed up and used in agriculture (if they can find the queen, at least), but I dunno if they're as scarce as documentaries suggest they're becoming. Before the man who designed the standard bee hive box, bees were housed in wicker skeps that had no internal structure, so they had to kill all the bees to get the honey out.

Then again, Africanized bees need to be eradicated due to their danger. Mediterranean fruit flies, remember those? Gotta go. Everyone here probably got malathioned on at least once. Mosquitoes? Nile virus areas, gotta go. I suppose every species has its upside or downside. There are endangered insect species, btw, just like any other living thing. That's another question. If someone posted a video of themselves killing an endangered insect, what would happen if anything.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Starting Fluid!

Get it at Pep Boys or an Automotive parts place, it is the absolute best way to kill yellow jackets, hornets, bees and really any insect.

Simply put, it melts their wings, they dissolve instantly and if you get it on the nest, it shrivels up into a gooey ball of death!

Do get cute and try to ignite anything, just use it as is!

Also Yellow jackets hunker down on the nest and seem to sleep at night, so the best time to attack is pre-dawn..

imagine waking up in the morning..."I can't feel my legs...I can't feel my legs" as you smell your flesh melting.

seems kinda cruel to mr and mrs yellow jacket.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

no
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Do humans have animal rights?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Expresses me feelings on the subject perfectly.

LINK

lmao!!!!! (bleep) I forgot about that episode
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
most "pests" are in no danger of being extinct and obviously have no higher level of thinking. kill away with extreme prejudice.

I'm not sure about that a couple of University of Mass scientists trained a spider to jump on command

Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I'm not sure about that a couple of University of Mass scientists trained a spider to jump on command

Well "Kim" the spider is pretty cool in my book. As long as the insect isn't invading my home or putting the community endanger I leave them alone.

As for rights I'd say no, beside it wouldnt make a whole lot of sense to tie up our court system. Unless they are close to extinction, have a clear benefit to human society and we have to stop some random corporation from wiping them out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: