PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
The Thief wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
You know, if parents can teach their kids to behave at home, I have no problem with a little school yard justice...

what?????

The whole point of being a teacher is to teach kids how to deal with adverse people/situations that they will undoubtedly encounter in their life.

He basically went Ron Artest on the kid.
he basically didnt. that kid basically went kkk on him with the tirade of racist remarks. here's the problem. racist that are excited now and THINK they can say and do anything to anyone with no regard for those people because their racist in chief is in the white house. everybody aint having it. Some of these people will end up meeting those 5 fingers. and sorry to say this but hey, you get what you asked for some times. forget all that PC nonsense about the teacher should've.... nope. sometimes you get what you ask for. you ask for it. didnt think you were going to get it and now you got it. now we all know the teacher is going to take the biggest loss in this for one, he's a teacher, for two he's a black man. so we already know. he's already spending money on bail most likely. so there that goes.

KKK? Kid looks latino to me and Maywood High School is almost entirely hispanic.

Quote:
Demographics
Race
The Maywood Academy High student body is almost exclusively Hispanic with a small White population and has extremely low racial diversity.

Race Percent Students
White 0.7% 9
Black 0% 0
Hispanic 98.8% 1,306
Asian Pacific 0.2% 3
Native American Indian 0.1% 1
Hawaiian Pacific Inlander 0.1% 1
Two or more races 0.2% 2

Now why did you have to use actual logic and facts? Don't you know how it works here everything is Trumps fault.
actually everything isnt trumps fault. its actually the fault of white supremacist/racist that set the stage for trump to run their show. you have anything to say about that Thief?

Plenty but I'm not going to waste my time as you're already wrapped in your warm racism is to blame for everything blanket.
so you dont have anything to say that isnt about being disingenuous about what the truth is. got it. carry on.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
My sister was a teacher for 30 years. I have nieces and nephews in the profession. It's a vocation that calls for patience and restraint. I liken it to dealing with the public, the public is always right. It's a thankless underpaid profession. I don't know if this particular teacher is/was good at his job or not so I won't chime in on his fate. He was wrong but I have empathy.

How did your sister, nieces and nephews react? Probably shocked.

All side with professionalism, de rather than escalation. They have empathy. One nephew said "Mama Said Knock Him Out." He also sided with professionalism. Mama Said Knock Him Out was in jest.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
pillboxer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

A little background... I've taught at the same middle school (public school in LA county) for 25 years. My school is not part of LAUSD, but our make up is similar to said Maywood school (we're 88% Hispanic). This teacher effed up big time. He was goaded, but that comes with the job. The only time I feel it's necessary to put my hands on a student, is when there's a fight where one of the kids is in danger of getting hurt. Much of LAUSD is scary as far as culture/environment. We often get kids from one on their schools, and we have to teach them how to act in a school setting. Not sure why this teacher didn't call someone to pick the kid up and take him to the office. Maybe that resource doesn't exist at that school.

Btw, I'm a big believer in public schools--my kids went through them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

pillboxer wrote:
A little background... I've taught at the same middle school (public school in LA county) for 25 years. My school is not part of LAUSD, but our make up is similar to said Maywood school (we're 88% Hispanic). This teacher effed up big time. He was goaded, but that comes with the job. The only time I feel it's necessary to put my hands on a student, is when there's a fight where one of the kids is in danger of getting hurt. Much of LAUSD is scary as far as culture/environment. We often get kids from one on their schools, and we have to teach them how to act in a school setting. Not sure why this teacher didn't call someone to pick the kid up and take him to the office. Maybe that resource doesn't exist at that school.

Btw, I'm a big believer in public schools--my kids went through them.

Precisely. The only excuse for engaging a student physically is when there is an immediate threat of violence to either student or staff.

That was not the case here. An adult couldn't handle an adolescent saying horrible things and that adult was a teacher charged with the safety of his students. That adult lost his (bleep) over a stupid kid acting out (and it apparently wasn't the first time for this teacher). And even if there is anyone misguided enough to think that the teacher had no option other than to respond to words with violence, this teacher went way beyond that by wailing away on a kid.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

How does that all tie in to the teacher beating the student and the student being a racist?

A lot of wasted energy went into debating a lot of irrelevant stuff in this tread.

Here's the breakdown of the only things that matter:

The teacher is an idiot who should lose his job.

The kid is a punk who deserves to be punished, but not via a beat down.

People supporting the teacher should hang their heads in shame and those of them that are disgusting enough to contribute to the teacher's GoFund me should have the decency to just remove themselves from the population.

The teacher should be fired but that kid definitely deserved the beat down. And just because the teacher snapped doesn't mean he's a bad person so not sure why you would call people disgusting for sending him funds to help him out since he'll most likely be out of a job if he isn't already.

They’re disgusting because financially rewarding a teacher who can’t handle his own emotions and thus resorts to pummeling a stupid 14 year old kid rather than finding a more appropriate solution is in fact just that, disgusting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

How does that all tie in to the teacher beating the student and the student being a racist?

A lot of wasted energy went into debating a lot of irrelevant stuff in this tread.

People supporting the teacher should hang their heads in shame and those of them that are disgusting enough to contribute to the teacher's GoFund me should have the decency to just remove themselves from the population.

The teacher should be fired but that kid definitely deserved the beat down. And just because the teacher snapped doesn't mean he's a bad person so not sure why you would call people disgusting for sending him funds to help him out since he'll most likely be out of a job if he isn't already.

They’re disgusting because financially rewarding a teacher who can’t handle his own emotions and thus resorts to pummeling a stupid 14 year old kid rather than finding a more appropriate solution is in fact just that, disgusting.

Does that include the support he gets from his family/relatives/friends? They're all disgusting as well?

How about if he's raising a family w/ children and the money can go to help pay the bills while he's in jail. Would that type of support still be considered disgusting?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
My sister was a teacher for 30 years. I have nieces and nephews in the profession. It's a vocation that calls for patience and restraint. I liken it to dealing with the public, the public is always right. It's a thankless underpaid profession. I don't know if this particular teacher is/was good at his job or not so I won't chime in on his fate. He was wrong but I have empathy.

To be racially abused like that is brutal.

That said, you cannot lose it like that as the adult in the room. He was completely out of control going after the kid like that, he is fortunate it didn't turn out worse.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:

To be racially abused like that is brutal.

That said, you cannot lose it like that as the adult in the room. He was completely out of control going after the kid like that, he is fortunate it didn't turn out worse.

yeah...I can see an impulse left but you've got a problem when you are chasing the kid around the room
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
The Thief wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Does that include the support he gets from his family/relatives/friends? They're all disgusting as well?

How about if he's raising a family w/ children and the money can go to help pay the bills while he's in jail. Would that type of support still be considered disgusting?
now you already know when rules doesnt like someone he goes way over the top with his disdain for said person or their actions.

The truth is, the teacher should not have done what he did. But there's also the other truth. The black man may have heard those words one too many times and not just words he has seen what the cism can actually do to his life. And thats makes a lot of difference. where some may just hear words. He being black has felt the cism affect his life in a negative way beyond those words. So those words are always attached to real life negative affects. What you just saw is black people's PTSD. Yes its real. Doesnt make it right. But it is, what it is. And there are times in life where some people kids included that think they can do and /or say anything to people do need to get popped in the mouth. I didnt say beat down to the grown or beat unconscious. I said popped in the mouth. Some people need that reminder. Put it this way, I bet you he wont say that again to anyone else. And there were some on lookers that wont try it either because they saw there are still possible repercussions for your actions. And I'm not talking about going to the principals office and getting a day off of school (which these kids want anyway.)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

Being Black is no excuse for violent responses. You know what is. You know as a Black man more is expected of you from some. When you show restraint it's not a weakness, it's a strength. Jackie Robinson comes to mind. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both should be equally disciplined. I think student and teacher suspensions would be fair.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Are we still rationalizing why a grown man tasked with the care and welfare of students (while hopefully teaching them a thing or two), can snap and beat a kid for getting mouthy (albeit in a vile way)? This isn't the first kid to say these types of things to a teacher of color, and yet other teachers manage to deal with it appropriately. This single individual teacher failed, and should be fired, arrested and locked up. Justifying his incredibly inappropriate reaction is an insult to all of the other teachers of color who have dealt with similar situations appropriately.

As an aside, that kid didn't just wake up one day as a racist POS. He learned those words at home, probably from his father. If the teacher wanted to take exception to what the kid was saying, he should have addressed it with his parents.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Being Black is no excuse for violent responses. You know what is. You know as a Black man more is expected of you from some. When you show restraint it's not a weakness, it's a strength. Jackie Robinson comes to mind. Two wrongs don't make a right. Both should be equally disciplined. I think student and teacher suspensions would be fair.
I don't presume to know what it is like to walk a mile in your shoes, Jodeke, let alone live life as a black man in America, but I very much admire the strength of your words in this post. It cannot be easy, and no mater the issue, you always seem to be looking for whatever the right solution is, even if it is an unpopular opinion. If I may go out on a limb to add one thing. The problem with reacting violently to certain words is that it gives too much power to racist idiots. If they know that they can cause a reaction that could ruin your life and livelihood, then they become emboldened to try to do exactly that. As you mentioned, restraint is a strength.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Are we still rationalizing why a grown man tasked with the care and welfare of students (while hopefully teaching them a thing or two), can snap and beat a kid for getting mouthy (albeit in a vile way)? This isn't the first kid to say these types of things to a teacher of color, and yet other teachers manage to deal with it appropriately. This single individual teacher failed, and should be fired, arrested and locked up. Justifying his incredibly inappropriate reaction is an insult to all of the other teachers of color who have dealt with similar situations appropriately.

As an aside, that kid didn't just wake up one day as a racist POS. He learned those words at home, probably from his father. If the teacher wanted to take exception to what the kid was saying, he should have addressed it with his parents.

I don't think it's fair to say "we." Probably 1 or 2 posters?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
The problem with reacting violently to certain words is that it gives too much power to racist idiots. If they know that they can cause a reaction that could ruin your life and livelihood, then they become emboldened to try to do exactly that. As you mentioned, restraint is a strength.

Yup, this is what I was thinking. That's why I don't hold it against the teacher. I just feel bad for him. He gave power to the kid to ruin his life. He didn't show strength, he showed weakness and now he has to face the consequences. If he has a family and raising kids, I feel bad for his family and kids. If they're on a single income, I feel even worse for them.

He might have been a good guy, seemed like everyone loved and respected him. And he threw that all away because he couldn't take it from some 14 year old punk. That's just sad to see a grown man lose everything like that. But nobody is perfect and in this case, this teacher showed his weakness; and for that he must pay the consequences. I don't condone what he did, but I can empathize.

The reason why I can relate is because I'm a bit of a hot head and I easily blow up. I get triggered easily. Always been like that my entire life. And I'm always scared of just snapping one day and losing everything. I'm just scared of that. And to see it happen to this man, it just hurts me to see it. I was in NY recently and it was crowded in the mall. This old man just pushed my significant other from behind as he was trying to go past her. He didn't say sorry, he said why don't you move it? You're taking too long. So I confronted him. He said what are you going to do? She shouldn't have been walking so slowly. So I raised my fist. And he kept on egging me on. Oh yeah? Go ahead, do it, do it. But I knew if I swung, it would have been over for me. Even if I gave him a little push, and he fell over the escalator, it would have been over for me. But the urge was there. So I can relate.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

Quote:
This single individual teacher failed, and should be fired, arrested and locked up.

Yes he failed. He should be admonished. The level of punishment should encompass the underlying reasons for the melt down. Do we as Blacks get a pass, NO. Do we as Blacks deserve some understanding into why, YES? Brother Man lost it. I don't know him but I'm assuming he's not pleased with his actions and given another chance would react differently. Hind sight 20/20.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Gofundme now at: $183,147

Once he shows up in court, he'll get his $50k bail money back. So, he'll come out of this up $183k.

Wonder if the kid's parents can sue for this $183k
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Once he shows up in court, he'll get his $50k bail money back. So, he'll come out of this up $183k.

If they do he will probably counter sue. They were equally culprit. Only ones who'll make money will be lawyers.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

If they do he will probably counter sue. They were equally culprit. Only ones who'll make money will be lawyers.

Yeah, unfortunately, when dealing with a minor, there is no "equal culprits"

He's going to lose on the argument of "well, he started it"

Also, being convicted of a crime is really going to hurt his case in civil court.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Maybe in the court of public opinion. I think the law of the land takes precedence. Lets see if I have it right. The student was first to abuse verbally, the teacher threw the first punch. In that scenario by law which takes precedence, physical or verbal abuse?

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Maybe in the court of public opinion. I think the law of the land takes precedence. Lets see if I have it right. The student was first to abuse verbally, the teacher threw the first punch. In that scenario by law which takes precedence, physical or verbal abuse?

Well, you phrased it - if the student sues, then the teacher would countersue. But if the teacher has a case, shouldn't he just sue w/o waiting for the student to sue first?

And do you know of any cases where someone was sued just for verbal abuse? (Not talking domestic violence, which is something else).

If the teacher never raised his fists, but instead just called security to come escort the student out of class, could the teacher have sued that student for his verbal abuse? Do you know of any civil cases on this matter?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
you still missing the point. and that more is expected is racist nonsense. a black man is just like everyone else. no more or less should be expected of him period. to think so is a racist idea or an idea formed out of dealing with racism, "you know we have to be 10 times better." So you're saying black people have to be super humans and heroes. some will be but the majority of people wont be and thats just reality. we all know the teacher should not have done it and he deserved to get fired. You cant have a teacher smacking kids around even if they deserve it. But there are times where things happened as they did and its best for all parties. i bet you, that kid wont be talking crazy to any other black teachers. I bet you there were some kids in that class that will never even think about talking crazy like that to another black teacher or person because they actually saw repercussions for those actions. and going to the office isnt enough for all of those students. there are times where they need to see the real deal. someone get their head tapped and then they realize how real it is. doesnt mean this is the way it should go or the guy should keep his job...he shouldnt. But the kid got what he asked for. That teacher is probably up for retirement anyway. If he went there it means he was fed up and has heard enough for too many years. time for him to go anyway.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Jo,,, now what about this

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/liability-for-abusive-or-insulting-language.html

i know you would have to find the equivalent breakdown for california law.

Quote:
What Liability can I Impose for Abusive or Insulting Language?
Civil liabilities may be imposed on a person who intentionally or recklessly uses abusive or insulting language that causes mental distress to another person. Although the claim for damages from abusive or insulting language falls under the more general claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress, there are special rules that pertain to this cause of action.

What Do I Need To Prove To Sue For Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress From Abusive or Insulting Language?
Generally, the injured party would need to show the following to sue:

The defendant intentionally used abusive or insulting language;
The language used was unreasonable and outrageous;
The defendant knew or should have realized that the language used would likely result in illness to the injured party; and
The injured party suffered severe emotional distress as a result of the defendant's words.
Can I Sue For Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress From Abusive or Insulting Language as a Claim By Itself?
Maybe. Not all states recognize this claim as a separate cause of action. Some states require that this claim be accompanied by some other actionable wrongdoings, such as:

1. Assault;
2. Battery;
3. False Imprisonment; and
4. Defamation;

Moreover, each state may have statutes that specifically address civil liabilities from use of abusive or insulting language.

Quote:
What are Some Examples of Abusive or Insulting Language?
1. Verbal threats;
2. Humiliating statements;
3. Racial or sexual slurs; and
4. Scandalous statements.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Jo,,, now what about this

https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/liability-for-abusive-or-insulting-language.html

i know you would have to find the equivalent breakdown for california law.

Quote:
What Liability can I Impose for Abusive or Insulting Language?
Civil liabilities may be imposed on a person who intentionally or recklessly uses abusive or insulting language that causes mental distress to another person. Although the claim for damages from abusive or insulting language falls under the more general claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress, there are special rules that pertain to this cause of action.

What Do I Need To Prove To Sue For Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress From Abusive or Insulting Language?
Generally, the injured party would need to show the following to sue:

The defendant intentionally used abusive or insulting language;
The language used was unreasonable and outrageous;
The defendant knew or should have realized that the language used would likely result in illness to the injured party; and
The injured party suffered severe emotional distress as a result of the defendant's words.
Can I Sue For Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress From Abusive or Insulting Language as a Claim By Itself?
Maybe. Not all states recognize this claim as a separate cause of action. Some states require that this claim be accompanied by some other actionable wrongdoings, such as:

1. Assault;
2. Battery;
3. False Imprisonment; and
4. Defamation;

Moreover, each state may have statutes that specifically address civil liabilities from use of abusive or insulting language.

Quote:
What are Some Examples of Abusive or Insulting Language?
1. Verbal threats;
2. Humiliating statements;
3. Racial or sexual slurs; and
4. Scandalous statements.

Yup, IIED is a super high threshold to meet. It's not a one time thing. You'd be hard pressed to find any case law on someone being able to successfully sue for IIED based on one incident of racial verbal insults.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject:

OK. The kid swung back. Does that not make them equally culprit?

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
OK. The kid swung back. Does that not make them equally culprit?

Well, we know criminally, no because only one person was arrested.

Now, civilly, possibly. But, usually in civil court, if you're wrong criminally, you're going to be wrong civilly as well.

The person that swings back has a self defense excuse. The person that swings first doesn't. There's no self defense for verbal attacks.

There's also the matter that more is expected of an adult and a teacher to keep a level head than it is for a 14 year old.

----------------------------

Remember the girl from New Jersey, college student that swung on a guy and he swung back. She fell and hit her head on the pavement and suffered brain damage. The police never pressed charges on him, because they determined she was the aggressor and he had a right to defend himself.

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Police will not file charges against the man who punched a 19-year-old woman in the face outside a party near Rutgers in an incident that has left her hospitalized for more than a week.

New Brunswick police Capt. J.T. Miller said Wednesday that police have determined Emily Rand was the aggressor in the incident that left her with a fractured skull after she was knocked to the ground by the punch.

Emily Rand, 19, of South Amboy suffered a fractured skull after being punched by a man in New Brunswick last weekend.

https://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2016/11/no_charges_for_man_who_punched_woman_19_near_rutge.html

Now, remember that the kid also threw a basketball at the teacher. I think he threw it at his legs. So, the teacher's best case is to say that the kid was the aggressor. But there's limits to everything. Does throwing a basketball at someone's leg warrant a beat down? The teacher is much bigger than the kid. At one point, he was standing over him and smashing a phone against his face.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: