Tips for getting a job? (16 year old) [old thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bynumite17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject:

HungryBear wrote:
yea, i'm 18 and am in pretty much the same situation as you, looking for work. I filled out 15-20 different applications for all kinds of places ranging from Restaurants, to Staples, to Food 4 Less, to Barnes and Noble. Didn't get a call back from all but 1 or 2. The economy is just too tight, most of them told me they were either on a hiring freeze or had to cut off some jobs. In the end, I just gave in and got a job at fast food. It's actually not that bad, despite the fact most people there primarily speak spanish, which I never cared to remember after learning it in school. They were all really nice, showed me how things ran, and it was actually a pleasant surprise.

my cousin is also going through a bad time looking for a job. He's put in TONS of aps but no one will hire and his dad just thinks he's filling out the aps wrong! my uncle is a jack @ $$ though.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

go to nordstroms TODAY and see if they're hiring stockboys for their anniversary sale which starts this weekend..they often hire for the sale alone and could keep ya on if they like you. Its a kickass job, you work with hot chicks all day. I did this in summers during college....i got to work in the Brass Plum section for teen girls, also worked as a cashier in the women's department, and stock boy in the lingerie dept. All my coworkers were hot and they were cool.
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject:

SirRunnethOfSoCal wrote:
When I was 16 I worked at a convalescent home getting $6.00 an hour.

The summer before that I was working as a volunteer there. They hooked me up with a job the following year.

Maybe you can try those places.

All you do is talk to elderly people while they go on their leisurely walks. Or they'll have you push their wheelchairs to the dinner hall in the evening. It's actually a great job. You LEARN so much about people. At times it got depressing but it's good to be in their company.

Did the old man in the wheelchair give you the advice about regifting?? LOL sorry had too!!
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject:

For work if you speak just basic english go to Mcdonalds....You get money and paid meals rather than just staying at home not making anything on your own...You have to start somewhere
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:

chazz wrote:
For work if you speak just basic english go to Mcdonalds....You get money and paid meals rather than just staying at home not making anything on your own...You have to start somewhere

I'm caving in tomorrow. is it really that easy though? they seem like they're fully staffed to me.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
chazz wrote:

I'm caving in tomorrow. is it really that easy though? they seem like they're fully staffed to me.

Fast food is always hiring. Go to In-N-Out
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
REPPIN 818 wrote:
chazz wrote:

Eh In n Out seems like torture... there are ALWAYS people there so hence you area ALWAYS working. Much too upbeat isn't it? Although you get $10/hour..

Also, how much do they take out due to taxes?
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
REPPIN 818 wrote:
chazz wrote:

Eh In n Out seems like torture... there are ALWAYS people there so hence you area ALWAYS working. Much too upbeat isn't it? Although you get $10/hour..

mannnnn!!If I was going to apply at a fast food place, it wouldn't be In-N-Out. They are full from the moment they open lol
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
REPPIN 818 wrote:
chazz wrote:

Hmmm...that sounds like a problem, right there. It sounds like you want a job, that pays well, but doesn't actually require you to work too much. That's not how it works.

It's always better to be busy at work...it makes the time go faster.
v3n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:

hig wrote:
REPPIN 818 wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
REPPIN 818 wrote:
chazz wrote:

Hmmm...that sounds like a problem, right there. It sounds like you want a job, that pays well, but doesn't actually require you to work too much. That's not how it works.

It's always better to be busy at work...it makes the time go faster.

haha, you're talking about the quintessential american (maybe person in general?) there. but you're right, there's no such thing as a free lunch. at age 16, you have no skills that are so valuable that a company will pay you to sit around. maybe if you had abilities that are critical to the company you could get away with it, but not at age 16. your only asset from a company's perspective is that you'll work hard for not too much money. i know it sucks to hear, but it's the truth.
Zimmerman
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

[spam deleted -CL]
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject:

deleted - old thread

Last edited by adkindo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

Go in person and inquire, look presentable, dress well, speak well,

Think about a place yould enjoy working at: this goes a long way; it’s hard to fake enthusiasm at a job you don’t like.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

So you guys realize this thread is 10 years old, right?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

be cool if OP gives an update
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
be cool if OP gives an update

probably a doctor by now....or doing a long stretch in San Quentin.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
So you guys realize this thread is 10 years old, right?

So he’s 26 now, rules still apply, in fact, it’s even more critical when your in your twenties
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Didn't post before

Look for a job that will allow you to finish college. Make that known on your application. Some employers appreciate people who want to improve their status and will help.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: