Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

I would pay big money to see Askren/Khabib. Two wrestling machines going destruction derby would be amazing to watch.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
22 wrote:
Supposedly he wants to fight Tony Ferguson (who has earned it) and wants to make Conor have to fight his way back up. He holds the cards now so I can see why he’d want to hold it over Conor’s head.

I don’t wanna see a rematch right away anyway. Ferguson vs Khabib will be the stuff of legend me thinks. I wanna see that bad.

Conor should go fight Diaz and try to get some confidence back

Diaz is not the way to get confidence back. He has a head like a rock
Lee would be a fun test.
I am not so sure that Khabib beats Tony. If money matters, take the rematch first. If money doesn't, I am super interested in the Tony vs Khabib fight.

Diaz is a waaaayyy better confidence builder (and money fight for Conor) than Kevin Lee.

Lee would do excatly to Conor what Khabib did with better standup. Look at what Khabib did to Barbosa, then look what Lee did to Barbosa. Lee can almost mimic his style exactly.

Conor didn't look the same I agree. Part of that could be due to rust. But I think a major factor so many over looked before the fight is that when the take down threat is so big it changes the standup game because there's more to worry about. That's how Khabib landed that monster over hand right. He feinted a takedown first. When he fainted Conor kept his hands low to stuff the takedown then the punch came.

He'd have those same problems fighting against a guy like Lee. Diaz would fight like a macho idiot and just stand with Conor the whole time which plays to Conor's strengths. Another confidence booster fight for Conor would be somebody like Holloway or maybe even Gaethje. Guys that are going to come at him where his skills are the strongest

Agree on Kevin Lee, his wrestling would be a major advantage, and his stand-up wouldn't make him a liability either.

At this point, I think for Conor it has to be Diaz or Khabib. They're the names the fans would most want to see. Diaz for the trilogy, Khabib so Conor fanboys can live in denial just a bit longer about him having a remote chance of winning a rematch.

I could see Holloway beating Conor. Max has improved so much, got so much smarter about picking his openings, working out timings, and his energy levels are very impressive. Conor's name outweighs his game at this point IMO.

Conor also previously talked about fighting Anderson Silva, which would no doubt be intriguing, but he'd get embarrassed. Size and ability wise, he'd be at a disadvantage.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
22 wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
22 wrote:
Supposedly he wants to fight Tony Ferguson (who has earned it) and wants to make Conor have to fight his way back up. He holds the cards now so I can see why he’d want to hold it over Conor’s head.

I don’t wanna see a rematch right away anyway. Ferguson vs Khabib will be the stuff of legend me thinks. I wanna see that bad.

Conor should go fight Diaz and try to get some confidence back

Diaz is not the way to get confidence back. He has a head like a rock
Lee would be a fun test.
I am not so sure that Khabib beats Tony. If money matters, take the rematch first. If money doesn't, I am super interested in the Tony vs Khabib fight.

Diaz is a waaaayyy better confidence builder (and money fight for Conor) than Kevin Lee.

Lee would do excatly to Conor what Khabib did with better standup. Look at what Khabib did to Barbosa, then look what Lee did to Barbosa. Lee can almost mimic his style exactly.

Conor didn't look the same I agree. Part of that could be due to rust. But I think a major factor so many over looked before the fight is that when the take down threat is so big it changes the standup game because there's more to worry about. That's how Khabib landed that monster over hand right. He feinted a takedown first. When he fainted Conor kept his hands low to stuff the takedown then the punch came.

He'd have those same problems fighting against a guy like Lee. Diaz would fight like a macho idiot and just stand with Conor the whole time which plays to Conor's strengths. Another confidence booster fight for Conor would be somebody like Holloway or maybe even Gaethje. Guys that are going to come at him where his skills are the strongest

Agree on Kevin Lee, his wrestling would be a major advantage, and his stand-up wouldn't make him a liability either.

At this point, I think for Conor it has to be Diaz or Khabib. They're the names the fans would most want to see. Diaz for the trilogy, Khabib so Conor fanboys can live in denial just a bit longer about him having a remote chance of winning a rematch.

I could see Holloway beating Conor. Max has improved so much, got so much smarter about picking his openings, working out timings, and his energy levels are very impressive. Conor's name outweighs his game at this point IMO.

Conor also previously talked about fighting Anderson Silva, which would no doubt be intriguing, but he'd get embarrassed. Size and ability wise, he'd be at a disadvantage.

1000% agreed Mo!

Have y'all seen Askren has already started talking trash? Twitter been on fire today! Going at it with Mike Perry, Jorge Masvidal, Alan Jouban, Colby Covington, and Darren Till so far lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
1000% agreed Mo!

Have y'all seen Askren has already started talking trash? Twitter been on fire today! Going at it with Mike Perry, Jorge Masvidal, Alan Jouban, Colby Covington, and Darren Till so far lol

Yeah was very entertaining, was hoping Covington would bite but no such luck yet.

To be honest I don't know too much about Askren, is he actually any good? Hard for me to know how good he is when he hasn't beaten many noteworthy fighters.

Feel a bit sorry for DJ being traded, feel like Dana has never really liked him. Don't understand why he isn't being given an immediate rematch after losing his title. Maybe it's a sign for the division, they might fight Cejudo and Dillashaw at 135 with a view to shutting down the 125 division later.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject:

Ben Askren is undoubtedly a wrestling machine. He was a monster in college and a monster in the pros. I have always wanted to see him in the UFC against someone like St-Pierre. He may be too big for Khabib, but would like to see that too. How will he do in the UFC? Nobody really knows, but many of the experts will tell you he is definitely elite.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
22 wrote:
1000% agreed Mo!

Yeah was very entertaining, was hoping Covington would bite but no such luck yet.

To be honest I don't know too much about Askren, is he actually any good? Hard for me to know how good he is when he hasn't beaten many noteworthy fighters.

Feel a bit sorry for DJ being traded, feel like Dana has never really liked him. Don't understand why he isn't being given an immediate rematch after losing his title. Maybe it's a sign for the division, they might fight Cejudo and Dillashaw at 135 with a view to shutting down the 125 division later.

As far as I know he is very similar to Khabib although probably not as agressive or as skilled in striking. People just wonder if he's ever been tested against real talent. Now we'll all get to see. Seems like the fight he wants the most is Darren Till or GSP.

I'm weary of how good he'll be too, but an encouraging thing for Askren fans is he trains with Woodley, Pettis, Chandler, etc at Roufus who all vouch for him. So he's definitely been exposed to top level talent

Helwani was speculating this same thing! Could spell the end for 125. Feel a bit bad for DJ too who could never quite find his footing with the fandom. Although UFC did a bad job promoting since they pick and choose who gets the most effort from them
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Ben Askren is undoubtedly a wrestling machine. He was a monster in college and a monster in the pros. I have always wanted to see him in the UFC against someone like St-Pierre. He may be too big for Khabib, but would like to see that too. How will he do in the UFC? Nobody really knows, but many of the experts will tell you he is definitely elite.

This.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Reading at the elbow and someone compiled this list for Askren

Quote:

Speaking of MMA math, here are the lineal titles that Askren would bring to the table

1. XFC Australia
Lineal History: Kyle Noke (2004) → Katsuya Inoue → Akira Kikuchi → Shinya Aoki → Ben Askren

This is the 2nd iteration of the title, here’s what the first looks like: Luke Pezutti (2003) → Kyle Noke → George Sotiropoulos
(moved down to LW in 2009 to compete in UFC)
2. IFL
Lineal History: Jay Hieron (2007) → Ben Askren

3. Shooto Americas
Lineal History: Igor Fernandes (2008) → Luis Ramos → Pedro Irie → Daniel Acacio → Ivan Jorge → Luis Santos → Ben Saunders →
Douglas Lima → Ben Askren

4. Bellator MMA
Lineal History: Lyman Good (2009) → Ben Askren

5. Zst
Lineal History: Osami Shibuya (2009) → Nobutatsu Suzuki → Ben Askren

Lineage followed is for the 2nd iteration of the title, but the 1st champion Yojiro Uchimura’s title appears to follow a similar
path to Ben Askren. However, the weight classes are not
clear so I have chosen to use the iteration of the title that can be verified

6. ONE
Lineal History: Nobutatsu Suzuki (2014) → Ben Askren

Askren is a rare champion who earned his titles by beating a list of
other champions. He beat 4 other champions to unify his titles.
The best at this was GSP, who won in champ vs champ matches 9 times for a total of 31 titles added to the dominant lineage.

Credit Posted by mjanecek on Oct 26, 2018 | 10:27 AM

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/26/18026288/ufc-one-fc-mma-news-interview-ben-askren-georges-st-pierre-gsp-khabib-nurmagomedov-tyron-woodley
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Askern Retired..
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Anthony Smith impressive with his win over Volkan
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Apparently Khabib in talks to fight GSP. Gotta think GSP might be a bit too big and strong for Khabib, but you never know I guess.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Apparently Khabib in talks to fight GSP. Gotta think GSP might be a bit too big and strong for Khabib, but you never know I guess.

Is that what DC said on Helwani today? In talks for 165lbs?
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Askren brings great potential with his skillset of second to none wrestling but that's literally all he brings. He has the worst standup in the UFC WW division. His best win was 6+ years ago against Lima. He struggled with UFC wash out Jay Heiron. He got judo tossed around the cage by Luis Santos. Since he left Bellator he's only faced cans and a 155 lbs over the hill Aoki.

I think he beats a few guys in the top 10 but loses to anyone with good wrestling/TDD and competent striking. Askren's never faced a great wrestler in MMA.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Yeah DC spoke about the rumour and kinda stoked the fires. That being said, I don’t think 165 is realistic for GSP. He’s big for 170, walks around at 200 ish, to me it’s too much weight to cut and he might even be a middleweight nowadays.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
22 wrote:
Moses wrote:

Yeah DC spoke about the rumour and kinda stoked the fires. That being said, I don’t think 165 is realistic for GSP. He’s big for 170, walks around at 200 ish, to me it’s too much weight to cut and he might even be a middleweight nowadays.
Oh ok makes sense. Would probe have to meet at 170 then if GSP is going to struggle to make weight
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
22 wrote:
Moses wrote:

GSP has recently lost a lot of weight because he has colitis now. He can definitely make 165 LBS, he never had trouble making 170lbs. He actually had to bulk hard to get up to 195lbs for his bout with Bisping. He says that may have caused his colitis eating too much meat to bulk up.

I honestly don't see anyone at 155 or 170 that can beat GSP except for Tyron Woodley and there's not enough $$ for GSP to risk his legacy on that fight
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Moses wrote:
22 wrote:
Moses wrote:

GSP has recently lost a lot of weight because he has colitis now. He can definitely make 165 LBS, he never had trouble making 170lbs. He actually had to bulk hard to get up to 195lbs for his bout with Bisping. He says that may have caused his colitis eating too much meat to bulk up.

I honestly don't see anyone at 155 or 170 that can beat GSP except for Tyron Woodley and there's not enough $$ for GSP to risk his legacy on that fight

He had been doing intermittent fasting a lot when he was thinking of a comeback. He used to cut a whole lot from over 200 when he fought at 170 which I vaguely remember him saying he didn’t want to do these days due to the colitis. Either way, like you say, I don’t see anyone at 170 who could beat him that makes sense for him to fight. I don’t know a whole lot about his condition either, but I’d imagine it makes weight cutting a bit different from standard fighters.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Derrick Lewis apparently got a deal with Popeye's chicken of free Chicken for life hahah

That's gold Jerry! gold!!

Last edited by 22 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject:

And he is a high school wrestling coach too

Seems like he lives up to quote I kept

"People are basically really good and he's just exceptional"

https://www.si.com/mma/2018/11/02/ufc-230-heavyweight-daniel-cormier-high-school-wrestling-coach
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Why is this guy so irritating to me

Just go away back to Russia

Too many head injuries?

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/amp/2018/11/3/18058572/khabib-plans-to-skip-nsac-hearing-ufc-229-brawl-they-can-give-me-10-years-ban-i-dont-care-mcgregor
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

#1 my acestream is at about 160% speed lol

Weidman fight.. WOW

BADASS

Souza can punch...
Chris Weidman vs. Ronaldo Souza
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Weidman fight.. WOW

BADASS

Souza can punch...

Yup what a crazy fight!!! Souza a class act begging the ref to stop the fight
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Weidman fight.. WOW

BADASS

Souza can punch...

Yup what a crazy fight!!! Souza a class act begging the ref to stop the fight

That is the ish that got me to KEEP watching UFC

Him and Anderson Silva..

Sportsmanship is awesome..
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

I am glad we got to see Souza fight... scary..
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Heck yeah! I prefer to see that then when it gets super personal and heated
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 460 of 499
Jump to: