What would be considered fair to pay student athletes.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHAT IS A FAIR AMOUNT TO PAY STUDENT ATHLETES?
$100.00 a week
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
$200.00 a week
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$300.00 a week
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BASED ON THE SPORT
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
NO PAY
50%
 50%  [ 10 ]
OTHER
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
governator wrote:
Based on percentage of income generated from their likeness and ticket sales

Title IX destroys this. You will never get something like a free market solution in college sports.

Not to mention, imagine a scrub who is the direct relative of a former HOF player or celebrity, getting paid more than a contributing role player because of their likeness.

The athletes are already paid via a scholarship. That is sufficient pay imo.

I think that’s what all the debate is about.

There is a difference between playing time (which a famous scrub should not get what he/she doesn’t earned) and profit generated from likeness (which a famous scrub should get a percentage of, especially if the $ generated is directly due to his/her fame)

Yeah, and that latter point is something you can't possibly measure.

What no one seems to discuss either, is what is the financial impact, to an athlete's future earnings, for having playing collegiate sports?

I'm sure it will be a different number for different people, but I would argue that playing in the NCAA, gives you exposure you cannot replicate that has some financial value.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
pay them nothing, allow them to make money off their likeness.

This.

The football player that got in trouble for making money off his YouTube account incident was ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

This.

The football player that got in trouble for making money off his YouTube account incident was ridiculous.

Realistically, that is probably the most viable solution without going into stipends. Players get a cut of the current revenue share and it doesn't throw the entire system into chaos. Athletic programs will no longer for suspended for the most minor of infractions.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I can get on board with this.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
governator wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
governator wrote:
Based on percentage of income generated from their likeness and ticket sales

Title IX destroys this. You will never get something like a free market solution in college sports.

Not to mention, imagine a scrub who is the direct relative of a former HOF player or celebrity, getting paid more than a contributing role player because of their likeness.

The athletes are already paid via a scholarship. That is sufficient pay imo.

I think that’s what all the debate is about.

There is a difference between playing time (which a famous scrub should not get what he/she doesn’t earned) and profit generated from likeness (which a famous scrub should get a percentage of, especially if the $ generated is directly due to his/her fame)

Yeah, and that latter point is something you can't possibly measure.

What no one seems to discuss either, is what is the financial impact, to an athlete's future earnings, for having playing collegiate sports?

I'm sure it will be a different number for different people, but I would argue that playing in the NCAA, gives you exposure you cannot replicate that has some financial value.

You can absolutely measured to profit/$ value generated. How much is due to the likeness of the player and how much is due to school name recognition is something that has to be negotiated. No difference than BRI split of NBA income, where do they come up with 51-49? Thru negotiations
Future non collegiate possible income can be part of the school’s negotiation to get a bigger chunk of the pie but the currently constructed split which is close to 100 - 0 (or whatever loopholes meals/lodging $) is exploiting players to some of us (I know you feel these star collegiate players are already fairly compensated).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

That's taking a narrow view of the overall. That exposure is for a limited number of student athletes. Reference the link that gives the number of student athletes that graduate. The number who don't benefit from the exposure far outnumbers the number that do.

@ RF. Question: (OL ) Name a student athlete that played on the line at Alabama and how playing in the NCAA benefited him.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

I look at it this way....many talk about the athlete getting a share based on their likeness. Then they usually go on to break it down somewhere near 50-50. I find that hilarious.

Consider Zion Williams and Duke.....Duke basketball is infinitely bigger than Zion Williams. How many people are Duke fans and buy their gear because of Zion Williams or some combination of the following....

Quote:
Danny Ferry, Grayson Allen, Marvin Bagley III, Jeff Capel, Johnny Dawkins, Chip Engelland, Harry Giles, David Henderson, Brandon Ingram, Dahntay Jones, Ryan Kelly, Christian Laettner, Corey Maggette, Jahlil Okafor, Jabari Parker, JJ Redick, Kyle Singler, Jayson Tatum, Jay Williams, Tommy Amaker, Shane Battier, Jay Bilas, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Wendell Carter Jr., Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, Luol Deng, Lefty Driesell, Chris Duhon, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Trevon Duval, Daniel Ewing, Gerald Henderson, Grant Hill, Rodney Hood, Bobby Hurley, Kyrie Irving, Matt Jones, Tyus Jones, Luke Kennard, Antonio Lang, Trajan Langdon, Josh McRoberts, Cherokee Parks, Austin Rivers, Nolan Smith, Gary Trent Jr. Shelden Williams, Justise Winslow, Quin Snyder, Steve Wojciechowski (Wojo) and Marshall, Mason & Miles Plumlee.

Not to mention Coach K himself....

The point is in the moment, Zion seems like a big deal.....but the overwhelming amount of revenue generated by Duke has a lot more to do with guys on that list than any current or future player. Even a jersey with Zion's name and number on it (if they were allowed to sell those) is likely going to have far more to do with that list and Duke basketball than Zion Williams. For example, a resident of Spartanburg, SC (Zion's High School town) who likes Zion but is a die hard Clemson fan is likely not going to sport a Zion Duke jersey.....but a long time Duke fan in Mississippi is much more likely to pick up a Zion Duke jersey.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I look at it this way....many talk about the athlete getting a share based on their likeness. Then they usually go on to break it down somewhere near 50-50. I find that hilarious.

Consider Zion Williams and Duke.....Duke basketball is infinitely bigger than Zion Williams. How many people are Duke fans and buy their gear because of Zion Williams or some combination of the following....

Quote:
Danny Ferry, Grayson Allen, Marvin Bagley III, Jeff Capel, Johnny Dawkins, Chip Engelland, Harry Giles, David Henderson, Brandon Ingram, Dahntay Jones, Ryan Kelly, Christian Laettner, Corey Maggette, Jahlil Okafor, Jabari Parker, JJ Redick, Kyle Singler, Jayson Tatum, Jay Williams, Tommy Amaker, Shane Battier, Jay Bilas, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Wendell Carter Jr., Quinn Cook, Seth Curry, Luol Deng, Lefty Driesell, Chris Duhon, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Trevon Duval, Daniel Ewing, Gerald Henderson, Grant Hill, Rodney Hood, Bobby Hurley, Kyrie Irving, Matt Jones, Tyus Jones, Luke Kennard, Antonio Lang, Trajan Langdon, Josh McRoberts, Cherokee Parks, Austin Rivers, Nolan Smith, Gary Trent Jr. Shelden Williams, Justise Winslow, Quin Snyder, Steve Wojciechowski (Wojo) and Marshall, Mason & Miles Plumlee.

The point is in the moment, Zion seems like a big deal.....but the overwhelming amount of revenue generated by Duke has a lot more to do with guys on that list than any current or future player. Even a jersey with Zion's name and number on it (if they were allowed to sell those) is likely going to have far more to do with that list and Duke basketball than Zion Williams. For example, a resident of Spartanburg, SC (Zion's High School town) who likes Zion but is a die hard Clemson fan is likely not going to sport a Zion Duke jersey.....but a long time Duke fan in Mississippi is much more likely to pick up a Zion Duke jersey.

The reality when it comes to profit from likeness is not 50-50, its 100-0... none of us here are expert at how to negotiate or quantify the ‘fair’ percentage breakdown between the school and the player, but it shouldn’t be 0
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

The reality when it comes to profit from likeness is not 50-50, its 100-0... none of us here are expert at how to negotiate or quantify the ‘fair’ percentage breakdown between the school and the player, but it shouldn’t be 0

but it is not....the average cost to attend Duke is over $70K per year for Joe Student (not including any financial aid)....multiplied by 4 years is $280K plus all the extra's provided for a student athlete. Again, that is the deal, and it is 100% the choice of the student athlete to accept it.

Colleges make a lot of money off of a couple sports.....yet lose money on a ton of sports. Similar, does a Amazon financial analyst that makes $110K a year cry foul when Amazon releases billion dollar quarterly earnings? Does he/she go to the media and demand a sit down with the CEO? No, because he/she was made an offer of income, career advancement and benefits...and he or she voluntarily accepted the deal because it benefited them.....even though Amazon earns extreme amounts of revenue that makes that $110K look like peanuts and would make nothing without it's employees.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

That's taking a narrow view of the overall. That exposure is for a limited number of student athletes. Reference the link that gives the number of student athletes that graduate. The number who don't benefit from the exposure far outnumbers the number that do.

@ RF. Question: (OL ) Name a student athlete that played on the line at Alabama and how playing in the NCAA benefited him.

For any student not benefitting from NCAA exposure, why pay them at all?

Let me reset this conversation for a moment. What is the goal of paying student athletes??
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Many athletes at bigger programs already get paid "cost of attendance" stipends larger than the amounts listed in the poll. I am not sure what the numbers are today, but most of the Power 5 school athletes get $5K or more a year, deposited monthly into their bank accounts. It is usually over 8-10 months. Beyond that, they get thousands more funneled to them through loopholes throughout a season. For example, during away games each player gets a per diem amount for food and expenses.....but nothing says the school can not provide that cash directly, and still provide all meals to the student athletes which is what happens.

The biggest lie related to college sports in the media today is that these poor souls are being cheated in some manner. A college athlete in a revenue generating sport at a major program lives like a modern day king. They fly almost exclusively on charter flights, their living areas are almost always top notch, they always have spending money in their pockets, the athletic departments now provide meal services 24/7 like a 5 Star hotel.....they basically want for nothing.

I continue to hear how some of them could make so much money off their likeness. I do not see it unless it is a shoe company or something trying to skirt the rules and get ahead of the game for when the player turns pro. Who is going to pay Zion Williams (without anything related to Duke on his body or in the picture) big money to do something? This is always left out of the equation....but Duke is very important to Zion Williams brand.....Alabama is very important to Tua Tagovailoa's brand. Colleges do not force anyone to attend and play sports in their uniform....it is a choice. If you feel like they are "exploiting" you....do not go. It is really that simple....and the complaint about not being able to turn pro without college is an issue with the professional leagues, not the NCAA. The NCAA is the easy target, but the wrong target. College students are forced to provide free labor every day all year in pursuit of a degree.....students in the medical field spend hours at hospitals learning and practicing.....and it is similar in many other professional fields, but I have yet to hear the media compare that to "slavery".

I've read a lot of posts on this forum, and this may be the worst one I've ever read. I bolded all the terrible points. God bless everyone who read this.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Many athletes at bigger programs already get paid "cost of attendance" stipends larger than the amounts listed in the poll. I am not sure what the numbers are today, but most of the Power 5 school athletes get $5K or more a year, deposited monthly into their bank accounts. It is usually over 8-10 months. Beyond that, they get thousands more funneled to them through loopholes throughout a season. For example, during away games each player gets a per diem amount for food and expenses.....but nothing says the school can not provide that cash directly, and still provide all meals to the student athletes which is what happens.

The biggest lie related to college sports in the media today is that these poor souls are being cheated in some manner. A college athlete in a revenue generating sport at a major program lives like a modern day king. They fly almost exclusively on charter flights, their living areas are almost always top notch, they always have spending money in their pockets, the athletic departments now provide meal services 24/7 like a 5 Star hotel.....they basically want for nothing.

I continue to hear how some of them could make so much money off their likeness. I do not see it unless it is a shoe company or something trying to skirt the rules and get ahead of the game for when the player turns pro. Who is going to pay Zion Williams (without anything related to Duke on his body or in the picture) big money to do something? This is always left out of the equation....but Duke is very important to Zion Williams brand.....Alabama is very important to Tua Tagovailoa's brand. Colleges do not force anyone to attend and play sports in their uniform....it is a choice. If you feel like they are "exploiting" you....do not go. It is really that simple....and the complaint about not being able to turn pro without college is an issue with the professional leagues, not the NCAA. The NCAA is the easy target, but the wrong target. College students are forced to provide free labor every day all year in pursuit of a degree.....students in the medical field spend hours at hospitals learning and practicing.....and it is similar in many other professional fields, but I have yet to hear the media compare that to "slavery".

I've read a lot of posts on this forum, and this may be the worst one I've ever read. I bolded all the terrible points. God bless everyone who read this.

This poster literally never provides intelligent responses in any thread on any subject. He/she chimes in routinely with ignorant commentary about subjects that he/she clearly has little to no knowledge about, or simply acts as a tool to piggyback on someones post with unintelligent cynical comments. It never furthers a conversation, makes a counterpoint, and only serves as a weak effort to bait others behind a keyboard. I am not sure why it continues to be allowed.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This poster literally never provides intelligent responses in any thread on any subject. He/she chimes in routinely with ignorant commentary about subjects that he/she clearly has little to no knowledge about or simply acts as a tool to piggyback on someones post with unintelligent cynical comments. It never furthers a conversation, makes a counterpoint, and only serves as a weak effort to bait others behind a keyboard. I am not sure why it continues to be allowed.

Takes one to know one
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I've met multiple student athletes in the past who had to sell drugs so they could have spending money.
It wasn't even like they were trying to get rich off of it. They just wanted to be able to get food somewhere else besides the cafeteria. Or they wanted to take their girlfriend to the movies.
The NCAA should let them do commercials, autograph signings, get $ from wealthy boosters. Anything short of getting paid to negatively affect the outcome of games should be allowed.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
adkindo wrote:

This poster literally never provides intelligent responses in any thread on any subject. He/she chimes in routinely with ignorant commentary about subjects that he/she clearly has little to no knowledge about, or simply acts as a tool to piggyback on someones post with unintelligent cynical comments. It never furthers a conversation, makes a counterpoint, and only serves as a weak effort to bait others behind a keyboard. I am not sure why it continues to be allowed.

Thank you for describing your post. Well said.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
which means you are going to pay them for the schools jersey sales with their numbers on it. because thats the only reason someone is buying that specific jersey. they know who it is. so again, it seems the school would have to pony up some cash for jersey's sold. oh their likeness is being put out there for commercials prior to the next game. so people can come to the stadium and people can tune in to watch. again, their likeness. who's paying for that again?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
which means you are going to pay them for the schools jersey sales with their numbers on it. because thats the only reason someone is buying that specific jersey. they know who it is. so again, it seems the school would have to pony up some cash for jersey's sold. oh their likeness is being put out there for commercials prior to the next game. so people can come to the stadium and people can tune in to watch. again, their likeness. who's paying for that again?

If the student didn’t attend college and just made their own jersey, what would be the projected sales?

The incremental sales from having a jersey that says “Duke” or whatever on it should not be included in those commissions.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

Let me reset this conversation for a moment. What is the goal of paying student athletes??

Enhancing college experience. Extracurricular activities, buying a hoopty to get around in, allowing a degree of independence, learning to manage money, aid the growing up experience so to speak, to name a few reasons. Keep in mind not all student athletes are in school to achieve pro status. It's not all about sports to many.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

Enhancing college experience. Extracurricular activities, buying a hoopty to get around in, allowing a degree of independence, learning to manage money, aid the growing up experience so to speak, to name a few reasons. Keep in mind not all student athletes are in school to achieve pro status. It's not all about sports to many.

Ok if that is your reasoning, why would any student get more money than any other student?

Or are you not necessarily suggesting that? There’s mixed opinions in here.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Quote:

Ok if that is your reasoning, why would any student get more money than any other student?

Other students have their on their own financial support systems, e.g. parents, trust funds, college funds, jobs. etc. Why would they make a difference? We're talking student athletes.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject:

How about just letting them work in their field? Appearances for shoe companies? Working for any type of sports related business where they show up to greet people and or perform PR. Perhaps high schools and and junior sports leagues could hire them to recruit?? Then just let it be what the market will bear. The best guys could make a ton of money but most would likely just make a decent, honest, living that would make it easy for them to live in places like LA or the Bay area.

Remember, every other student is all disciplines are allowed to get jobs while they are in school. Even ones that are on scholarships. Then the school wouldn't have to pay them a penny, if anything, maybe the schools could help place some of these athletes in good paying positions.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Why not just have a signing bonus? That way a player can sign with the highest bidder.

Then it becomes pointless for about 90% of the schools to even try.....Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Penn State, Auburn, Wisconsin, Florida State, Kentucky, Georgia (the top 15 revenue generating schools) and a few others will just dominate every sport. Schools like Iowa, whose annual revenue from athletics dwarfs Duke, becomes a superior basketball program.

And? The schools who want to be known for their superior athletics programs can spend and those who want to focus on academics can do just that.

Plus, the schools you mentioned dominate most sports anyway. There's always going to be players who blossom at some unknown school. It would be up to the coaches to recruit better and earn their paychecks.

Duke, particularly, gets all the great players because of Coach K and the popularity of college basketball since he became head coach there. If they couldn't afford Zion, he may still want to play for coach K.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Other students have their on their own financial support systems, e.g. parents, trust funds, college funds, jobs. etc. Why would they make a difference? We're talking student athletes.

Well, if your goal is to provide assistance to students without their own financial support systems, why the qualifier of being an athlete? There are plenty of athletes that have parents with money, trust funds, jobs, etc.

Why not just brainstorm a program that would help any and all students that need financial assistance regardless of whether they are an athlete?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Well, if your goal is to provide assistance to students without their own financial support systems, why the qualifier of being an athlete? There are plenty of athletes that have parents with money, trust funds, jobs, etc.

Why not just brainstorm a program that would help any and all students that need financial assistance regardless of whether they are an athlete?

The OP explains everything I intended. If you want something other, start a thread. Not meant to be antagonistic or flippant.

Quote:
Considering the player compensation lawsuit vs. NCAA. Student athletes are given room, board, books, tuition, cost of attendance.

College life is much broader. Night on the town, dinner and a movie, clothing maintenance, hygiene needs, etc.

What would be a fair amount to pay student athletes?

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: