NCAA headed toward major conference realignment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: NCAA headed toward major conference realignment?

Player compensation lawsuit vs. NCAA could usher in new round of conference realignment

Quote:
In a Northern California district court, conference realignment may take an urgent, unexpected turn. The ongoing Alston v. NCAA trial seeks an injunction against current NCAA scholarship limitations (room, board, books, tuition, cost of attendance). This is the mother of all pay-for-play lawsuits to date in that it basically seeks to end the longstanding "collegiate model."

In their closing arguments last week, the plaintiffs suggested that conferences "permit the individual conferences to make their own determinations" in compensating players.

Quote:
"It would be fascinating," Swarbrick told CBS Sports. "It would be a disaster … but fascinating. I think there is a very significant chance that ruling would produce a new wave of conference realignment."

Quote:
Using Swarbrick's suggestion, if the Alston plaintiffs win, conferences could reorganize around like-minded schools with the same spending philosophy toward athletes if scholarship restrictions go away.

The SEC would conceivably be all in, willing to spend whatever it would take to compensate players and win them away from rivals. The likes of Stanford and Duke? Not so much.

LINK

I knew of this case, but have not really followed it. I knew "Alston" was a WVU running back that barely had 1,000 yards over a 4 year career....but not much about the case. It appears the verdict is near, and the NCAA expects to lose. If the outcome results in the path suggested in the article, it will destroy college sports in my opinion. Teams like Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State, Florida, Notre Dame, Oregon and Clemson will seek to align with some of the big money SEC programs to allow them to give the highest compensation and obtain the best players. Programs like Stanford, Miami, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, Utah and others will never be able to keep up financially.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I would be surprised if the judge does something so dramatic. The Ninth Circuit already trimmed down her ruling in the O'Bannon case, which itself was not overly dramatic. The comments in that article strike me as Chicken Little-ish. Having said that, the winds of change have been blowing for quite some time now.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I would be surprised if the judge does something so dramatic. The Ninth Circuit already trimmed down her ruling in the O'Bannon case, which itself was not overly dramatic. The comments in that article strike me as Chicken Little-ish. Having said that, the winds of change have been blowing for quite some time now.

yeah, maybe it is because I am a WVU fan, and WVU is not a natural fit in the Big12....but the conferences simply do not feel right at the moment. WVU should be playing Pitt, Va. Tech, BC and Penn State. Oklahoma should be playing Nebraska....Texas and Texas A&M....Colorado and Nebraska, etc. I just will never be as excited about playing Texas as I would Pitt or Va. Tech as a WVU fan....I do not care about Texas, much less despise them. In comparison, I wish the whole Pitt athletic complex would burn to the ground (as long as no person was injured ). WVU has did fine with realignment, but many teams have not from a competitive perspective. Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, UConn, Nebraska have all taken program hits......and teams like Miami and Colorado are just now getting back on their feet.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject:

That's a different matter. The current conference alignment is haphazard. The Big 12 fragmented because several schools (Colorado, Nebraska, A&M, Missouri) thought they were moving to greener pastures and that they could just blame it on Texas. The Pac 12 and ACC over-expanded and lost their identity. A lot of schools found themselves playing musical chairs. WVU found a chair. Houston did not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: