View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
Forgot about this and picked it up around ep. 5 yesterday. I meant to only watch a few episodes but got caught up and spent the entire day watching the rest of season 1.

Amazing how the tension just builds and builds and how (bleep) just goes down and resolves. Love everything about it, Omar ending it with his jack move and signature line was genius.

Just didn't like how Omar went down. Baddest dude on the block gets taken out by a ten year old? He and Marlo needed to hook up.

As to the first part of your lament......

And Omar and Marlo, hookin' up? Given who Omar was, and after THIS? C'mon man.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

^ awesome scene. both "if he dead, I could carry it better. Comin up the way we did, you expect it" and "how you gon never be slow or late" are so fitting.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ awesome scene. both "if he dead, I could carry it better. Comin up the way we did, you expect it" and "how you gon never be slow or late" are so fitting.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite scenes in the series. Yet, it's just lost in an Ocean of true greatness. Avon was just a gangsta I suppose.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:

He was. My 2nd time through the show(back in December) I was able to enjoy the characters and story more since I had an idea of what was happening. This made me like Avon a lot more than the first time around. And on a much smaller level, Bodie too.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
He was. My 2nd time through the show(back in December) I was able to enjoy the characters and story more since I had an idea of what was happening. This made me like Avon a lot more than the first time around. And on a much smaller level, Bodie too.

Spoiler Alert^^^^^^^^

Oh, I think to a large degree, Bodie is the physical embodiment of why the show was the GOAT. When the show started and you first met him, you hated him and by the time he was killed, you cried.

Now that's something that is common, but he was the same guy in episode #2 as he was in #48 when he was killed. The writers didn't manipulate the story or change him. But as the story evolved, more facets of his character were revealed until you loved him.

Another of the truly great scenes.

loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

"The game is rigged." but As McNulty says, Bodie is a soldier so he stayed the course and died on his feet. or as Omar would say, "a man's got to have a code" and Bodie did. That was the thing about Marlo and Stringer, they didn't have a code- the were just so hell bent on pulling all the strings and eliminating anyone that could affect that ability.

Wee bay was another bad guy that you grew to like because of his code. He knew who he was, he did wrong and accepted his punishment for it. He made peace with it. But he also knew who his son was and let him get out of the rigged game. He saved Naymond's life when he turned him over to Colvin.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
"The game is rigged." but As McNulty says, Bodie is a soldier so he stayed the course and died on his feet. or as Omar would say, "a man's got to have a code" and Bodie did. That was the thing about Marlo and Stringer, they didn't have a code- the were just so hell bent on pulling all the strings and eliminating anyone that could affect that ability.

Wee bay was another bad guy that you grew to like because of his code. He knew who he was, he did wrong and accepted his punishment for it. He made peace with it. But he also knew who his son was and let him get out of the rigged game. He saved Naymond's life when he turned him over to Colvin.

Agree about Marlo and Stringer. They had no code, hell, Stringer broke the Sunday truce rule! He was all about business, strictly business. He was straight up Mafioso. Remember when Avon criticized him for being soft? Avon said, "Why? Because I don't snatch a life just because I can?" or something to that effect, but he'd take out anybody and everybody who got in his way or could threaten the business or put him in Jail.

Marlo was a different breed altogether. He was just a predatory (bleep) who wanted his name to ring out from every street corner. Dude had that security guard killed for virtually nothing.

But back to Bey and that scene when he showed what a father means, even if he is doing a life without bid....

Just brilliance in every aspect. What a (bleep) show!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
The Wire is so good. I honestly have it as my second favorite all time TV series behind Breaking Bad.

Breaking bad is very good, but it doesn't even aspire to the literary heights of The Wire, much less hit them. If the wire is Kobe, breaking bad is ray Allen.

It's so funny because I've been using that comparison in various situations to describe the trandescent v. the great.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

^ As a fan of both shows and having both in my top 3 shows ever, it is crazy to think how bad The Wire - from a writing and artistic standpoint- makes BB seem. Nothing can compare to it. It's got more depth than any other show, lives up to the hype and seems like it will hold up no matter how much time passes.

Breaking Bad was amazing, especially the last 3 seasons, but it was great in a different way. It focused on one person(mainly) and was quite possibly the best character transformation story because of how well BC played it. The tension was always there and you were always on the edge of your seat. And no matter what Walt did, how scummy he was, you couldn't stop rooting for him.

If I had to do a comparison I don't think Kobe/Ray would be the one though; BB deserves better. I'd actually break it down within Kobe's game and say The Wire is Kobe's footwork, post game and midrange game - something that purists can recognize as true greatness because of the work put into all of the details. It may not always be flashy but it's just so smooth; so much was put into the craft to make it nearly flawless.

On the flip side, BB would be Kobe's dunks, his buzzer beaters, his fadeways, all those big shots that you knew he would take and you knew would go in. BB always delivered and sure a lot of work went into making sure of that but it was stuff that is easier for the masses to recognize and enjoy- everyone loves those cliffhangers and that edge of your seat tension. BB gave us everything we wanted and then some. The Wire gave us something that we didn't want because we didn't know something like that could be created. David Simon's writing = Heisenberg's meth : so close to perfect that you can't really believe it.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ As a fan of both shows and having both in my top 3 shows ever, it is crazy to think how bad The Wire - from a writing and artistic standpoint- makes BB seem. Nothing can compare to it. It's got more depth than any other show, lives up to the hype and seems like it will hold up no matter how much time passes.

Breaking Bad was amazing, especially the last 3 seasons, but it was great in a different way. It focused on one person(mainly) and was quite possibly the best character transformation story because of how well BC played it. The tension was always there and you were always on the edge of your seat. And no matter what Walt did, how scummy he was, you couldn't stop rooting for him.

If I had to do a comparison I don't think Kobe/Ray would be the one though; BB deserves better. I'd actually break it down within Kobe's game and say The Wire is Kobe's footwork, post game and midrange game - something that purists can recognize as true greatness because of the work put into all of the details. It may not always be flashy but it's just so smooth; so much was put into the craft to make it nearly flawless.

On the flip side, BB would be Kobe's dunks, his buzzer beaters, his fadeways, all those big shots that you knew he would take and you knew would go in. BB always delivered and sure a lot of work went into making sure of that but it was stuff that is easier for the masses to recognize and enjoy- everyone loves those cliffhangers and that edge of your seat tension. BB gave us everything we wanted and then some. The Wire gave us something that we didn't want because we didn't know something like that could be created. David Simon's writing = Heisenberg's meth : so close to perfect that you can't really believe it.

Still haven't seen BB, but Wow, what a great post!
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

^ If you have the time, I highly recommend checking it out. It gets better with each season. And the new spin-off series "Better Call Saul" is very enjoyable as well.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:25 am    Post subject:

To think that the Wire and the Sopranos were in production concurrently for almost the duration of both shows...damn.

The wire won 0 emmys. 0.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
To think that the Wire and the Sopranos were in production concurrently for almost the duration of both shows...damn.

The wire won 0 emmys. 0.

that's obscene. i just finished rewatching and i have no issue with it being in contention for one of the best television shows ever made. it was even better on the rewatch. screw the emmys.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

Best show ever.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

The wire won 0 emmys. 0.

That is booshah. I got thru The Wire a few months ago, first time whole series. I managed not to see damn near any of it during its entire run. Scenes that stuck out to me as hyper realistic were the school scenes between the kids. Very naturalistic language and depictions of the characters' personalities. Bad kid who needs guidance to turn it around (with no-good mother), good natured kid who felt abandonment from the teacher (his only adult male role model) when he got promoted to the next level. The scene where the big girl slashed the cute, mouthy girl.

Season 1 was also a fave, which probably goes without saying for anyone who saw the entire series. Again, naturalistic language among and between the residents, dealers, and cops. Showed a diversity of personality and character traits among all of the hood characters, which is rare in any movie/show featuring The Wire-like subject matter. Some viewers might've dismissed any of the characters who had pangs of guilt or conscience as BS, but some do. As in real life, everyone has a different personality beneath the one they're trying to depict. In most movies/shows like that, there are nothing but Omars. This one was refreshing in that you saw all the denizens of the hood scared as hell of Omar and running away, dispelling all that BS machismo that you see everyone in a docu/show/movie about prison or gangs or the hood feigning for the most part.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject:

ani007 wrote:

The wire won 0 emmys. 0.

that's obscene. i just finished rewatching and i have no issue with it being in contention for one of the best television shows ever made. it was even better on the rewatch. screw the emmys.

Preach, br0!

0 Emmys. 0.

That reminds me of when 3-6 Mafia won an Oscar for "It's Hard Out Here For A PIMP". After everyone clears the stage, Jon Stewart, who was the host that year, says, "For all you people counting at home....3-6 Mafia...1 Oscar...................Martin Scorsese........zero..." Crowd derisively laughs. Stewart couldn't have encapsulated the naked absurdity of that fact any better. The Academy who deemed that Martin Mother-Effing Scorsese wasn't worthy of an Oscar up to that point while a song about PIMPING wins one. No offense to 3-6 Mafia, but the committee was lucky that Marty was able to drop The Departed so they could hurry up and give him one to avoid being thought of as out-of-touch idiots forever more.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

You're a soulja, Bodie (and Clifford).

Bodie: "I feel old..." Good writing. Bodie and McNulty = winning scene.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

The more I think about it, the depth of The Wire puts it ahead of Breaking Bad. But Breaking Bad is right there and Better Call Saul is already in my Top 20 all time also.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

Bodie was my favorite character on the show.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The more I think about it, the depth of The Wire puts it ahead of Breaking Bad. But Breaking Bad is right there and Better Call Saul is already in my Top 20 all time also.

Agreed, the Ray Allen to Kobe comparison is disrespectful to BB. It's more like Jordan and Kobe or something. But The Wire is the better show.

I gotta watch BCS, I really liked S1 and then fell out of it
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Omar was my favorite and I was heartbroken when he was taken out by that kid. I was really hoping he would...win? I don't know what I was hoping would happen but I wanted him to win somehow.

There are so many layers to The Wire. Really an incredible set of stories.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
adkindo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Omar was my favorite and I was heartbroken when he was taken out by that kid. I was really hoping he would...win? I don't know what I was hoping would happen but I wanted him to win somehow.

There are so many layers to The Wire. Really an incredible set of stories.

even sadder that kid used to idolize omar at one time....the wire was heartbreaking even rewatching it knowing what will come...just finished season 1 of the deuce and so happy to see so many characters from the wire
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

The deep beauty of the show was that its moral centers were both gay, both black, and one of them was a stick up man.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The deep beauty of the show was that its moral centers were both gay, both black, and one of them was a stick up man.

I know you are gay.
But who else was? I can't remember.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I know you are gay.
But who else was? I can't remember.

Lol. Nice one!

Kima. Kima was ultimately the moral center of the "legit": side of the street.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: