NBA GM’s Snubs the Lakers Young Core [Received 0 Votes]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

The only questionable one is Chicago since Ayton looks legit. Although if you include Parker I could see the argument. Lauri is better than any prospect we have right now unless Ingram makes a huge leap offensively or defensively.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers young core has taken a hit in recent years. Lonzo/Ingram/Kuzma/Hart is pretty good, but it's not as impressive as it was 15 months ago when it also included DLO/Randle/Nance/Clarkson.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject:

The God Particle wrote:
I think it has much more to do with the fact that our "Core" is no longer young.

For goodness sake, any team that has Lebron James on their roster cannot call their core young. Lebron James IS the core of this team. He's not young. He's the best player in the world, just not young.

As of the other teams on this list - their core IS their young players.

The Lakers have the 3rd youngest roster in the league.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
I guess it's a fair assessment, though these things are always as pure a personal guess as can be. That said, given the lousy W-L records our Lakers have cobbled together in last couple seasons, I can't promote our current young core as something special.

But Phoenix is better?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
The only questionable one is Chicago since Ayton looks legit. Although if you include Parker I could see the argument. Lauri is better than any prospect we have right now unless Ingram makes a huge leap offensively or defensively.

Markkanen?! He's not a better prospect than Ball or Ingram.
Troblin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

Markkanen is better than Ball. Definitely not Ingram tho.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

Depending on what you value... I think both of you could be right or wrong.

Lauri, as a raw 7 footer, shattered some 3 pointer records, showed the ability to get to the basket, was a good rebounder considering age/development point, and wasn't a huge liability on defense like people expected.

Lonzo was the opposite- edit defender, elite rebounder, elite ball mover, but can't score/create his own shot/shoot the way people want out of guards.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

I don't mind ranking lower than 76ers since the two legit guys were out of reach for us. But part of the reason why Celtics rank so high is because of Tatum. I have no doubt that most GM believe Tatum is better than Ball. If we have kept Randle and with a core of Hart, Tatum, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle, I think we will be 2nd or 3rd on that list.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

What a sound and logical counterargument.

If Lonzo wasn't wearing a Laker jersey I guarantee you wouldn't have the same viewpoint.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

If Lonzo wasn't wearing a Laker jersey I guarantee you wouldn't have the same viewpoint.

Markkanen is a good prospect but not close to Ball as a player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

He played a full season, that is a big plus for him. Lonzo is a part time player at this point, I liked what he brought when he was healthy but there was too much time off the floor.

JC hit the nail on the head, the young core took a big hit when the FO let Randle walk for nothing. He was the most mature and advanced young player we had.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

He played a full season, that is a big plus for him. Lonzo is a part time player at this point, I liked what he brought when he was healthy but there was too much time off the floor.

JC hit the nail on the head, the young core took a big hit when the FO let Randle walk for nothing. He was the most mature and advanced young player we had.

True but if you judged a prospect primarily off of availability in their rookie year you would’ve picked the wrong player many many times. When on the court, Lonzo was considerably better. Losing Randle hurt but I think Lonzo and Ingram both project to be better.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
I don't mind ranking lower than 76ers since the two legit guys were out of reach for us. But part of the reason why Celtics rank so high is because of Tatum. I have no doubt that most GM believe Tatum is better than Ball. If we have kept Randle and with a core of Hart, Tatum, Ingram, Kuzma and Randle, I think we will be 2nd or 3rd on that list.

I really hate Boston. So it's tough for me to say this.
But if we drafted Tatum, there's no guarantee he develops as well as he has in Boston.
Brad Stevens elevates his players. He made Jae Crowder and Avery Bradley look like studs. He helped Jaylen Brown shoot 40% from 3 with 1 year of development.
Tatum wouldn't be regarded so highly if we drafted him. First off, we're in the Western Conference. Second off, I like Luke. But at this point Brad Stevens and his staff are a tier above what we have here.

Side note: I'm expecting a down year from Tatum with Kyrie and Hayward coming back into the lineup.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

The Good: most casuals see our 35-win record and think our young players suck. Not wanting to realize we beat every playoff team last year but the Dubs. This without a star.

The Bad: now that we got LBJ, they will pay attention. Instead of acknowledging the hard work they put in - along with playing with LBJ, the haters will give LBJ ALL the credit.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
As I said in the other thread about the GM survey, I like to see some air being let out of the hype balloon. Our young core has potential, for sure, but some people around here have convinced themselves that it is a lot better than it really is.

Lonzo had the most impactful bad shooting season from a young player that I can remember since Jason Kidd. I'll stay on his hype train over a one-way shotjacker like Devin Booker, but that's just me.

And the Bulls?! Over the Lakers?! I love me some Wendell Carter, but come on.

One or two GMs voted for the Bulls. One or two GMs voted for the Suns. All of the others voted for Boston or Philadelphia. It doesn’t surprise me that a couple GMs are really high on guys like Markkanen and Ayton.

True, it's a small sample size.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
The Good: most casuals see our 35-win record and think our young players suck. Not wanting to realize we beat every playoff team last year but the Dubs. This without a star.

The Bad: now that we got LBJ, they will pay attention. Instead of acknowledging the hard work they put in - along with playing with LBJ, the haters will give LBJ ALL the credit.

Lakers have the best young guy in terms of guys with the highest potential.. Brown/Tatum & Simmons/Embiid are ahead of the curve but not by much
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

They should have kept Randle. They could have made it work and still keep a max slot next year. DLO/Nance/Clarkson were all overrated.
NotHype
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Lakers have the best young guy in terms of guys with the highest potential.. Brown/Tatum & Simmons/Embiid are ahead of the curve but not by much

This doesn’t make sense to me. Embiid, Tatum & Simmons have higher ceilings than any of our guys. They are pretty far ahead as of right now.

Embiid shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence, he’s already an allstar.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Just to explain why the Lakers young core didn’t even get one vote. Windhorst said on a podcast that GMs couldn’t vote for their own teams.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

NotHype wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

This doesn’t make sense to me. Embiid, Tatum & Simmons have higher ceilings than any of our guys. They are pretty far ahead as of right now.

Embiid shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence, he’s already an allstar.

No one has any idea who has the best young core yet, the Celtics benefit a lot from Stevens.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

Depending on what you value... I think both of you could be right or wrong.

Lauri, as a raw 7 footer, shattered some 3 pointer records, showed the ability to get to the basket, was a good rebounder considering age/development point, and wasn't a huge liability on defense like people expected.

Lonzo was the opposite- edit defender, elite rebounder, elite ball mover, but can't score/create his own shot/shoot the way people want out of guards.

Right, both players bring unique value to their respective positions and have exciting futures. Lonzo was the better player last season for the time he was available, but if his shooting and scoring don't really improve, then Markkanen has a clear path to surpass Lonzo if he becomes a more efficient shooter himself.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

True, but the timing is ironic given that Lauri is scheduled to miss the next 6-8 weeks with an elbow injury.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
Troblin wrote:

No, you're wrong.

True, but the timing is ironic given that Lauri is scheduled to miss the next 6-8 weeks with an elbow injury.

Then they are evening out (assuming Lonzo starts the season playing). Big Lonzo fan but we can only base our opinions on what has happened thus far.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

No excuses this year then. If the Laker young core really is the 2nd best in the league as posters like Gadget and Baron claim then this team should be ready to go. 50+ wins barring injuries I'm expecting.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: