24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
I get two things from this situation.

The media is a beast.

We live in a scary society. And I mean this from both sides of the coin. It is a shame a man abused a women and had some serious personal issues.

Also, it is a shame him and this women are being dragged about in the media. This is a personal issue, these people are going to be scarred for life for real now thanks to the media.

And Urban Meyer, I do not like him. That said, what is he being charged with? Conspiracy to commit domestic violence? I'm sorry but this is comical.

Meyer isn’t being charged with anything

Pardon, I was being ignorant. Just the whole uproar over this is ridiculous. Everybody trying to advance themselves in the media's eye (reporter's).

I feel bad for the lady the most. And for people to have such high opinions of their agendas, when there are horrible things that go on in this world.

It truly is the age of propaganda.

Meyer isn't no rocket scientist, just like all the greatest coaches of all time, they are immersed in one thing. It is understandable he should not of even been in charge of this situation. Maybe that is the lesson, you can't give one man so much power?
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
I get two things from this situation.

The media is a beast.

We live in a scary society. And I mean this from both sides of the coin. It is a shame a man abused a women and had some serious personal issues.

Also, it is a shame him and this women are being dragged about in the media. This is a personal issue, these people are going to be scarred for life for real now thanks to the media.

And Urban Meyer, I do not like him. That said, what is he being charged with? Conspiracy to commit domestic violence? I'm sorry but this is comical.

Meyer isn’t being charged with anything

Pardon, I was being ignorant. Just the whole uproar over this is ridiculous. Everybody trying to advance themselves in the media's eye (reporter's).

I feel bad for the lady the most. And for people to have such high opinions of their agendas, when there are horrible things that go on in this world.

It truly is the age of propaganda.

Meyer isn't no rocket scientist, just like all the greatest coaches of all time, they are immersed in one thing. It is understandable he should not of even been in charge of this situation. Maybe that is the lesson, you can't give one man so much power?

While Meyer's wasn't 'being charged' with anything, he was being accused of willfully not reporting domestic abuse, which he is mandatory reporter that is required to do so through his contract and Title IX. Whether it was whether it was the husband or the wife doing the abusing, it doesn't matter, he was required to report it, per his contract. The fact that he didn't, and covered up the fact that he allegedly knew of the incidents without reporting and covered up when he first learned of the issues is the the heart of the investigation into Meyers. The fact that his wife, which there is NO WAY to say she wasn't aware of abuse in that relationship, didn't report either as she is contracted to do as well, shows to me that they conspired to conceal/cover up the abuse that was taking place so as not to hurt the football program.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

While Meyer's wasn't 'being charged' with anything, he was being accused of willfully not reporting domestic abuse, which he is mandatory reporter that is required to do so through his contract and Title IX.

Pretty sure that it was concluded that Title IX was not an issue in this situation.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
While Meyer's wasn't 'being charged' with anything, he was being accused of willfully not reporting domestic abuse, which he is mandatory reporter that is required to do so through his contract and Title IX. Whether it was whether it was the husband or the wife doing the abusing, it doesn't matter, he was required to report it, per his contract. The fact that he didn't, and covered up the fact that he allegedly knew of the incidents without reporting and covered up when he first learned of the issues is the the heart of the investigation into Meyers. The fact that his wife, which there is NO WAY to say she wasn't aware of abuse in that relationship, didn't report either as she is contracted to do as well, shows to me that they conspired to conceal/cover up the abuse that was taking place so as not to hurt the football program.

Okay, but can we agree that you are not exactly the most impartial of judges when it comes to Ohio State football?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Pretty sure that it was concluded that Title IX was not an issue in this situation.

Correct. Courtney Smith was not an OSU employee or student.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

She didn't have to be, he was. That was enough to trigger it. Someone can file a Title IX lawsuit, and then the resulting investigation would review whether or not OSU was in compliance with the federal guidance, but someone would have to file the suit first.

I'm not sure if any of the parties in this case would be inclined to file suit (Courtney Smith? She's got the divorce and other stuff going on, not sure what she would have to gain from a Title IX lawsuit), but an advocacy group such as FIRE or ACLU could.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

She didn't have to be, he was. That was enough to trigger it. Someone can file a Title IX lawsuit, and then the resulting investigation would review whether or not OSU was in compliance with the federal guidance, but someone would have to file the suit first.

No, Title IX does not apply. It does not create some general duty to report alleged sexual abuse against non-university personnel.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

not going to pretend I know the in's and out's of Title IX...just recall when the report was released, I know it was reported that there was no Title IX issue because the spouse (Smith) had no direct relationship to Ohio State.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

I have not personally handled a Title IX case to date, but I’ve been monitoring the law because some of my peers have taken these cases. The great appeal of these cases is that Title IX gets a plaintiff past sovereign immunity for a state university. We can already get past sovereign immunity with the employment discrimination statutes (such as Title VII, which is not related to Title IX). Title IX can apply in employment cases and can cover some scenarios that are hard to win under Title VII. It also applies to students and the like.

Some of my peers have tried to extend it to non-students/non-employees. The courts have slapped that down. The only reason why this has come up in connection with Meyer is that he had a contract that was arguably broader than Title IX, I haven’t looked at it, but I have read that the broad interpretation of the contract is a stretch.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
[Courtney Smith] confirmed to ESPN the details in the Dispatch's article were largely what she remembered telling police nearly three years ago, except for a claim that she had previously been approached by attorneys from Ohio State and asked to drop charges against Zach Smith.

According to the Dispatch, the 2015 police report said that Courtney Smith told police that Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home after a previous incident in hopes of "convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded with the prosecution." Smith said she doesn't remember telling police about any such conversation.

"No way. I would have never said that," she said Wednesday night.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24518732/courtney-smith-ex-wife-former-ohio-state-assistant-zach-smith-clarifies-details-police-report

If the police report really states that she claimed that OSU sent a lawyer to talk to her, then I'm off the fence. In my eyes, she would have zero credibility and would be a presumptive liar.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:
[Courtney Smith] confirmed to ESPN the details in the Dispatch's article were largely what she remembered telling police nearly three years ago, except for a claim that she had previously been approached by attorneys from Ohio State and asked to drop charges against Zach Smith.

According to the Dispatch, the 2015 police report said that Courtney Smith told police that Ohio State sent a lawyer to her home after a previous incident in hopes of "convincing her to drop the charge because it would embarrass OSU if she proceeded with the prosecution." Smith said she doesn't remember telling police about any such conversation.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24518732/courtney-smith-ex-wife-former-ohio-state-assistant-zach-smith-clarifies-details-police-report

If the police report really states that she claimed that OSU sent a lawyer to talk to her, then I'm off the fence. In my eyes, she would have zero credibility and would be a presumptive liar.

yeah that article does not paint her in a positive light.....I would bet their situation is like so many others.....both have wronged each other greatly while also being wronged greatly....probably no complete sinners or saints in that relationship, and they are likely both being dishonest when it benefits them. Now it is their mess.....others got caught up in it....but now it is back to theirs alone, and they will have to clean it up and likely start new chapters in their lives.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

yeah that article does not paint her in a positive light.....I would bet their situation is like so many others.....both have wronged each other greatly while also being wronged greatly....probably no complete sinners or saints in that relationship, and they are likely both being dishonest when it benefits them. Now it is their mess.....others got caught up in it....but now it is back to theirs alone, and they will have to clean it up and likely start new chapters in their lives.

Well put. As Ive stated before, this is really none of our business, and it is sad for all involved that the national media got wind of it.

Im not saying people should not speak up but it is not up to Rachel Nichols or Jalen Roses wife.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

I honestly forgot all about this until they mentioned on SC that Urban is returning this Saturday vs Tulane...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Urban Meyer is a clown.

I don't care how many football games his teams win, the guy is a kook.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

sounds like most of the Board of Trustees fought for no suspension....but Ohio State President eventually was successful in implementing the 3 game suspension.

LINK
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
sounds like most of the Board of Trustees fought for no suspension....but Ohio State President eventually was successful in implementing the 3 game suspension.

LINK

Frankly, I can see both sides of the argument. I think the President’s position makes more sense from a PR perspective. But I don’t know that the facts really justified a suspension.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/urban-meyer-to-retire-as-ohio-state-head-coach-after-rose-bowl/ar-BBQte6k?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Hmm makes me wonder if there's another shoe about to drop?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Funny reading this knowing he's going to coach the Jags now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

It’s what he does.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/19/fox-announces-urban-meyers-return/

Quote:
FOX announces Urban Meyer’s return to college football broadcasts

Urban Meyer’s foray into the NFL was a disaster, so he’ll be spending this football season in more comfortable surroundings.

Meyer was part FOX Sports’ college football coverage between his college and pro coaching stints and the network announced that he will be returning to his former gig this fall. The move was expected as there was word this spring that Meyer was deep into negotiations for the job.

The cast of characters on the set will be a familiar one to Meyer. Rob Stone, Brady Quinn, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart all remain on the show after working with Meyer during his previous stint.

Given the way things played out in Jacksonville, it seems likely that Meyer may be settling in for a longer run in the broadcast business this time around.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/08/19/fox-announces-urban-meyers-return/

Quote:
FOX announces Urban Meyer’s return to college football broadcasts

Urban Meyer’s foray into the NFL was a disaster, so he’ll be spending this football season in more comfortable surroundings.

Meyer was part FOX Sports’ college football coverage between his college and pro coaching stints and the network announced that he will be returning to his former gig this fall. The move was expected as there was word this spring that Meyer was deep into negotiations for the job.

The cast of characters on the set will be a familiar one to Meyer. Rob Stone, Brady Quinn, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart all remain on the show after working with Meyer during his previous stint.

Given the way things played out in Jacksonville, it seems likely that Meyer may be settling in for a longer run in the broadcast business this time around.

He should have never left in the first place.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: