Official General 2019 NBA Draft Talk Thread (Lakers Get 46th Pick/Talen Horton-Tucker, Sign Cacok, Norvell, Caroline)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 439, 440, 441  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

You think Porter and triple J have the same exact player profile...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:
You think Porter and triple J have the same exact player profile...

They don't.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

Mike, I still want your thoughts on Zion as Hefty Jordan.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

I can see why you say Hefty Jordan, especially with the way he handles the ball and needs very little gather to get tremendous vert. By age, even their jumpshots (set shots) are respectively the same for now.

But, I definitely haven't seen enough of UNC Jordan to make any criticisms of his playmaking abilities. I know that MJ was a very high USG drive/kick guy early in his career, but even in the exhibition games, Williamson showed hints of advanced reads and passes that were cross court.

Do I think he'll be a 27/6/6 dude career? Way too early to tell. I think part of MJ's dominance was due to far reduced athletic competition at his position. Even Clyde Drexler was a tier or two lower in terms of that kind of athleticism outside of vertical and straight speed. But, people also forget the absurd motor MJ had, and that's what separated him from everybody. It wasn't just the quickness/strength/speed/vert/lateral, but how often it was repeated on the basketball floor.

If Williamson shows hints of that kind of motor (and frankly, who knows with the change in his diet and strength training program at his age), then sure, it's definitely possible that he's a #1 pick.

All the emphasis is on wings, but if there's a big that shows 1 or 2-way wing ability? Even better.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I can see why you say Hefty Jordan, especially with the way he handles the ball and needs very little gather to get tremendous vert. By age, even their jumpshots (set shots) are respectively the same for now.

But, I definitely haven't seen enough of UNC Jordan to make any criticisms of his playmaking abilities. I know that MJ was a very high USG drive/kick guy early in his career, but even in the exhibition games, Williamson showed hints of advanced reads and passes that were cross court.

Do I think he'll be a 27/6/6 dude career? Way too early to tell. I think part of MJ's dominance was due to far reduced athletic competition at his position. Even Clyde Drexler was a tier or two lower in terms of that kind of athleticism outside of vertical and straight speed. But, people also forget the absurd motor MJ had, and that's what separated him from everybody. It wasn't just the quickness/strength/speed/vert/lateral, but how often it was repeated on the basketball floor.

If Williamson shows hints of that kind of motor (and frankly, who knows with the change in his diet and strength training program at his age), then sure, it's definitely possible that he's a #1 pick.

All the emphasis is on wings, but if there's a big that shows 1 or 2-way wing ability? Even better.

Great thoughts. I'm also most interested in seeing Zion's motor and fight on the court - does he have the dog in him that Nassir Little does? - especially on defense. He may be able to average 4 stocks per40 on freakish athletic ability and a modicum of effort, but I also want to see him rise to the challenge of getting stops down the stretch of close games.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

Aside from Zion's insane athleticism, how good is his footwork, shooting, etc.?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Nebraska's Isaiah Roby is one to watch: an athletic, rising junior 6'8 combo-forward with a 7'2 wingspan who racks up stocks, has solid passing vision, can competently attack closeouts, and displayed an improved jumper as a sophomore (40% on 2.2 3FA/40). He's a bit Andre Roberson-ish with a better shooting profile by age.

Here are some Roby sophomore season offensive highlights:

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Here's a good primer: The Stepien
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Really looking forward to your (and other's) draft analysis this year.

Our pick is probably in the low 20s, right?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

why no inquiry of my thoughts on this "Hefty Jordan" theory?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Really looking forward to your (and other's) draft analysis this year.

Our pick is probably in the low 20s, right?

Appreciate it! Looking forward to the upcoming draft and free agency discussions with you, as well. It's going to be a fun as hell season.

I'd predict the Lakers finish with 47-50 wins and the pick falls somewhere between 18-24. After GSW, Houston, Toronto, Boston, and maybe Philly, the middle of the league is going to be a mess of flawed playoff-hopeful teams scratching and clawing for the 50-win mark, so it's hard to predict given the slim margins for error. And the Lakers are going to be integrating too many new - potentially mismatched - and young parts to really hum next season.

But if the Lakers finished with 47 wins and the 18th pick right before adding Kawhi Leonard in free agency, I don't know that that wouldn't be a better long-term outcome than 50 wins and the 25th pick, anyway.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Because you have not yet had the scales of Barrett lifted from your eyes. I'll wait until the start of the college season to allow you to join us as an acolyte of Zion - praise be, our hefty dunking lord!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Because you have not yet had the scales of Barrett lifted from your eyes. I'll wait until the start of the college season to allow you to join us as an acolyte of Zion - praise be, our hefty dunking lord!

that was so two months ago....I am on the Nassir Little train currently.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

that was so two months ago....I am on the Nassir Little train currently.

Well, hard to disagree with that. It'll be interesting to see if Little has a better freshman season than Jackson.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

What are the thoughts on Bruno Fernando?

Seems to be limited on offense but a high energy defensive player with potential. Kind of a Capela/Noel possibility?

My reasoning-

- Lakers are most likely picking in the low/mid 20s.
- Center looks to be the biggest necessity. Especially defensive and rebounding energy. McGee and Zubac are question marks.
- Lakers seem guard and SF heavy. Especially if they land one of the max free agents. PG being the other potential "need".

Any other centers fit the description and potentially available near the Lakers pick I should be watching this season?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Seems to be limited on offense but a high energy defensive player with potential. Kind of a Capela/Noel possibility?

My reasoning-

- Center looks to be the biggest necessity. Especially defensive and rebounding energy. McGee and Zubac are question marks.
- Lakers seem guard and SF heavy. Especially if they land one of the max free agents. PG being the other potential "need".

Any other centers fit the description and potentially available near the Lakers pick I should be watching this season?

The worry with Fernando is that he's more Bismack Biyombo than Capela due to poor hands and offensive feel. Biyombo in the low-20s wouldn't be a terrible pick, but the Lakers could still potentially do better than Bruno.

Aric Holman (MSU), Nick Richards (UK), Kenny Wooten (UO), and Sagaba Konate (WVU) are some of the best returning rim protector/rim runner prospects in college. I also like PJ Washington (UK) as a small ball, switchable C in the Tristan Thompson mold - he has a 7'3 wingspan and has flashed a jumper and dribble-drive game.

Of the incoming freshmen big men who project as centers, Charles Bassey (WKU), Naz Reid (LSU), and Moses Brown (UCLA) are some young guys to watch. Bassey could be a little less athletic than Fernando, but looks to have a better offensive feel and a reliable midrange jumper; Brown is 7'1 with a 7'4 wingspan, good mobility, and some touch around the rim, but appears a bit soft and low motor; Reid may play his way up draft boards with his unique combination of guard skills at his size, but he has to prove he can defend in space and provide some rim protection.

And obviously more names are likely to emerge as the college season gets underway.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

Naz Reid is the one I’ve got my eyes on out of the center group
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Is Shaq's kid a top 50 draft prospect?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Naz Reid is the one I’ve got my eyes on out of the center group

Same, assuming Porter and Gafford are off the board.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd sincerely doubt it unless he shows out as a legit shooter. He shouldn't have been a top-50 recruit, so I'd be surprised if he's a top-50 draft prospect before his junior season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd sincerely doubt it unless he shows out as a legit shooter. He shouldn't have been a top-50 recruit, so I'd be surprised if he's a top-50 draft prospect before his junior season.

Thanks. Looks pretty skinny. Not explosive. Basically. Not Shaq.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

My reasoning-

The worry with Fernando is that he's more Bismack Biyombo than Capela due to poor hands and offensive feel. Biyombo in the low-20s wouldn't be a terrible pick, but the Lakers could still potentially do better than Bruno.

Aric Holman (MSU), Nick Richards (UK), Kenny Wooten (UO), and Sagaba Konate (WVU) are some of the best returning rim protector/rim runner prospects in college. I also like PJ Washington (UK) as a small ball, switchable C in the Tristan Thompson mold - he has a 7'3 wingspan and has flashed a jumper and dribble-drive game.

Of the incoming freshmen big men who project as centers, Charles Bassey (WKU), Naz Reid (LSU), and Moses Brown (UCLA) are some young guys to watch. Bassey could be a little less athletic than Fernando, but looks to have a better offensive feel and a reliable midrange jumper; Brown is 7'1 with a 7'4 wingspan, good mobility, and some touch around the rim, but appears a bit soft and low motor; Reid may play his way up draft boards with his unique combination of guard skills at his size, but he has to prove he can defend in space and provide some rim protection.

And obviously more names are likely to emerge as the college season gets underway.

Thanks for the detailed response. Gives me some centers to keep my eye on this college b-ball season.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

what do you guys think of Bruno Mars?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think Rivals had him @ #40 in the 2018 Class and 247 Composite had him @ #41 in the 2018 Class....both listed him as a 4 Star. None of that means much, but most guys in that range would likely be projected to spend at least 2-3 years in college if they ever become pro prospects.
SmartBaller420
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

Azabuike worked out for us but withdrew from the draft because he couldn’t get a first round guarantee. I was devastated when the Lakers passed on Mitchell Robinson but acquiring Azabuike could offset that. His combination of elite size, strength, and athleticism would be perfect a complement to Wagner’s skill and savvy or Kuzma’s dynamic inside/outside scoring prowess at the 4.

McGee/Wagner/Azabuike
Lebron/Kuzma
Ingram/Sv
Kawhi/Hart
Lonzo/Rondo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 439, 440, 441  Next
Page 4 of 441
Jump to: