Zion Williamson....

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Zion Williamson....

I was skeptical about this kid. I thought he was just using his physicality to dominate small high school kids. However, here's his college debut. If this kid can go up against some big schools playing like he did here, watch out. He's reminds me of a better shooting Charles Barkley.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject:

wow, actually looks like a bigger LeBron
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

He's gotta slim down, no? Listed at 285 that's gotta be too much for his body to bear.

I think losing 25 pounds would make him even springier and explosive.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
He's gotta slim down, no? Listed at 285 that's gotta be too much for his body to bear.

I think losing 25 pounds would make him even springier and explosive.

Definitely. Freaking crazy he is that athletic at that size though. That's where the Lebron/Barkley comparisons come in. Two inches taller than Barkley, an inch or two shorter than Lebron.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

Dude is a beast. Am I crazy if I say I'd pick him over RJ Barrett? Someone explain to me why, honestly I haven't followed as much as other draft gurus here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

A 285lb guy who can dunk from the FT line? I'll definitely be paying attention to him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
A 285lb guy who can dunk from the FT line? I'll definitely be paying attention to him.

I consider his 285 pound body to be like wearing a 35 pound weighted vest once he gets down to 250. He may jump over the backboard at that weight.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Zion is a freak athlete. Dude reminds me of a Shawn Kemp
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Dude is a beast. Am I crazy if I say I'd pick him over RJ Barrett? Someone explain to me why, honestly I haven't followed as much as other draft gurus here.

We're waiting for consistency in skill level out of him, not just dominating by outright athleticism/size.

It helps that he was able to make a few good reads on kick outs. The scary part is, there's a drive/kick game that has yet to be untapped out of him. No one really believes the semi-set shot behind the arc for a reason just yet.

I don't even think he needs to drop 35lbs. He doesn't exactly looked weighed down. Just get him in the weight room/proper diet. If he loses 10-15lbs. so be it. If he stays the same weight but loses body fat, so be it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
pokoy wrote:

We're waiting for consistency in skill level out of him, not just dominating by outright athleticism/size.

It helps that he was able to make a few good reads on kick outs. The scary part is, there's a drive/kick game that has yet to be untapped out of him. No one really believes the semi-set shot behind the arc for a reason just yet.

I don't even think he needs to drop 35lbs. He doesn't exactly looked weighed down. Just get him in the weight room/proper diet. If he loses 10-15lbs. so be it. If he stays the same weight but loses body fat, so be it.

I can see that. Guess we'll see when Duke plays tougher competition.

But is RJ Barrett really that good? From the little I've seen, nothing about him stands out to be a consensus #1 pick. Fultz had freakish athleticism that made me think, oh damn yeah, I can see that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
pokoy wrote:

I can see that. Guess we'll see when Duke plays tougher competition.

But is RJ Barrett really that good? From the little I've seen, nothing about him stands out to be a consensus #1 pick. Fultz had freakish athleticism that made me think, oh damn yeah, I can see that.

It's projected to be a weaker draft class compared to the previous years. Personally, I'm curious how RJ Barrett is going to play because I think he had Drew Hanlen help train him prior to playing for Duke already. I'm not really ranking guys yet, because it's too often some player like Brandon Ingram starts the season as a mid to late 1st and ends up #1, or D'Angelo Russell starts mid-1st or later, and ends up #2.

I think RJ Barrett right now, is right smack in the glute of players of Ingram and Tatum where, you'd draft Ingram for the length and skill set by age, Tatum for the polished level skills despite the solid athleticism, and now Barrett, who I'm projecting to be an average 3-point shooter, but arguably the best finisher of the 3 guys because he has tremendous body control, great stride length, stacks his joints well to get good vert around the hoop, and plants his feet well in the paint.

After that, it's just a matter of preference. Ingram is the most raw of the 3. Tatum is the most polished perimeter skills player (for now). Barrett may be the best slasher of the 3, prior to Ingram developing those skills at the NBA level. There is a possibility that Barrett is WAY ahead of Ingram in regards to slashing/finishing/attacking by age, especially because he's so multidimensional in his approach.

10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, he reminds me of an athletic Randle and this board knows I'm one of the biggest Randle homers on Earth.

I do wonder what position he is gonna play in the NBA. I wonder if there is a coach out there who is crazy enough to try to turn him into a SG
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

He really reminds me of Shawn Kemp
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:

I consider his 285 pound body to be like wearing a 35 pound weighted vest once he gets down to 250. He may jump over the backboard at that weight.

He's probably wearing a 35 pound weighted vest of fat if he's that heavy with that musculature and at that height. Obliques, thighs and lower gut probably sloppy as hell. Lower back fat is 100% a mess. Just means as you stated that losing it would make him that much more freakish. I get that comparison to Bron but it's still like comparing a mustang to a La Ferrari. Bron is 6'8", 275 walk around and cut like fitness model.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Zion Williamson....

LakerSanity wrote:
I was skeptical about this kid. I thought he was just using his physicality to dominate small high school kids. However, here's his college debut. If this kid can go up against some big schools playing like he did here, watch out. He's reminds me of a better shooting Charles Barkley.

he will dominate college kids too. and if he makes the league he will at times dominant nba players 1 v 1 too.

he's too big, too strong, to agile. and has a decent handle. its lebron/shaq all over again.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
He really reminds me of Shawn Kemp
It's how he dunks at times. its really Kempish. lol. I could see it too.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=05dRyoLKtrI

He’s gonna be good
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Yep, I'm on him. The knock was he was physically dominant and didn't have the skillset to translate to the NBA. To me, his primary position defensively will be against 4s and can move up or down against 3s and 5s. Offensively, he can fill any spot.

After 3 games, besides elite NBA athleticism, he's shown:

- Guard-level ball handling and passing
- Ability to play inside and outside
- Outside shot (still a lot of work, but it's not non-existent like Ben Simmons, for instance)

I haven't seen all the other prospects, but I don't see how he isn't #2 behind Barrett. He's going to be great from Day 1. My only concern is he won't have a long career and might be done by 30 given his size.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Yep, I'm on him. The knock was he was physically dominant and didn't have the skillset to translate to the NBA. To me, his primary position defensively will be against 4s and can move up or down against 3s and 5s. Offensively, he can fill any spot.

- Outside shot (still a lot of work, but it's not non-existent like Ben Simmons, for instance)

I haven't seen all the other prospects, but I don't see how he isn't #2 behind Barrett. He's going to be great from Day 1. My only concern is he won't have a long career and might be done by 30 given his size.

You’re analysis basically makes him into another Embiid clone though he can be another Randle.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

You’re analysis basically makes him into another Embiid clone though he can be another Randle.

I don't see Embiid, but I do see some aspects of Randle. He's a tough guy to comp. At his size, athleticism, LS threw out Lebron/Barkley, I think UNLV Larry Johnson might be a good one. Zion looks like a rare physical talent for sure, will be must watch TV this year at Duke.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:

I don't see Embiid, but I do see some aspects of Randle. He's a tough guy to comp. At his size, athleticism, LS threw out Lebron/Barkley, I think UNLV Larry Johnson might be a good one. Zion looks like a rare physical talent for sure, will be must watch TV this year at Duke.

What about Amare as a comparison?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Zion is a freak athlete. Dude reminds me of a Shawn Kemp

When I saw this post and saw the player Shawn Kemp mentioned, I remembered Amare and he can end up being like Amare Stoudimire but even better
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

He just said that he’s between 270-275. 6’6. Best leaper in a thick body maybe ever...Bron is longer, close call on the leaping but I’d give the edge to Zion
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I think all relative comparisons are kind of inadequate. He takes some strong qualities out of some of the NBA's best and it's combined into one.

That right-handed in-out dribble before crossover left hand drive? Screams Julius Randle.

The spin move in the post going to his strong hand? Screams Larry Johnson.

The explosiveness around the hoop without needing a strong gather/build up 1-2 step? Screams Barkley.

What I'm most impressed with is how he's dealing with some stronger defensive attention, yet making crosscourt passes, even hinted at a raw pull up mid-range jumper off of a drive (brakes for a 275lb guy are pretty ridiculous), and has some defensive perimeter awareness. What is a dude that big doin trying to cut into passing lanes? Yet, he looks awfully natural at that too.

Wait until he shows some perimeter switch D upside. Then things get crazy.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: