2018-2019 GENERAL FOOTBALL (SOCCER) THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Despite the loss, I thought Arsenal looked decent. They just don't have the horses to take on Man City.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Think it was a red, but not a clear goalscoring opportunity. Catches Jota on the ankle; not malicious but very clumsy. If Jagielka had a better first touch, he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place...

The outrage ought to be where the ensuing free kick was placed. Looked about a meter or two off where Jagielka originally committed the foul.

Those kind of tackles are usually the dangerous ones, the panic from the bad touch leading to a reckless lunge. Rafael was always good value for two or three bad ones a season, Charlie Adam too - his actually sometimes a bit worse because he's too lazy to run to get it back so he was usually late as well...

Good start for us. Keita looks like he's been playing for us for years and Shaqiri is going to cause havoc when he gets on. Robertson continues to be underrated by opposition sides as well.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

Not overly discouraged by what I saw from Arsenal against City. The difference in class shows, but both goals just showed a defensive naivety from Arsenal that could be prevented. First one an Guendouzi lets Sterling cut in when he shouldn't, second one and Xhaka (who was awful all game long) didn't track the run of Bernardo.

Thought Lacazette made a positive impact when he came on, hopefully he starts against Chelsea.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Will travel to Madrid on Thursday to watch Real Madrid vs Getafe on Sunday. 2nd row from the pitch. Can't wait.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject:

If this is what a Ronaldo-less Madrid looks like, Los Blancos are in trouble.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
If this is what a Ronaldo-less Madrid looks like, Los Blancos are in trouble.

They've had all summer to find a striker, but there doesn't seem to be anyone available. And the club is not willing to spend huge money because of the upcoming renovation of the Bernabeu. Hope we don't become Arsenal, haha.

It's a team in transition. I don't think this coach will last long.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't there an uproar when the EPL talked about playing games in the US? I don't blame La Liga for looking to expand its exposure in the US, but this seems odd. If I recall correctly, FIFA and UEFA were both against the so-called 39th game plan. I thought that idea was dead and buried. I guess not.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Sadly it's a sign of the times that there's more need for money than sense in football. This will most likely benefit RM and FCB more than the other teams.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Sadly it's a sign of the times that there's more need for money than sense in football. This will most likely benefit RM and FCB more than the other teams.

Yeah, it's the unfortunate nature of the game evolving over time in terms of the business side. The attendances get bigger, tickets cost more, shirts come out every year, TV deals are out of this world, player wages and transfer fees go up accordingly, and it creates a culture of rich get richer and litle teams can't compete.

It's one thing I kind of admire about american sports, the way they can create more parity than in football, while football is so far gone that there's no way you can really cap spending or wages or ticket costs. the whole financial fair play thing is a joke.

I read an article the other day that said half of the teams in the premier league could still make money even if they didn't sell a single ticket to any of their games this season, just because of TV money. Crazy.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Well, sure, it's all about money. North America is an enormous market that is only partially tapped. La Liga is at a considerable disadvantage compared to the EPL (because of language and superior marketing that started long ago) and even the Bundesliga (because the Bundesliga sold its TV rights to Fox and because Americans have played for German clubs for decades). La Liga wants to kick start its marketing in North America, and it doesn't have a lot of other options.

But if this goes through, I'm not sure how well it will do. Any game that does not include Real Madrid, Barcelona, or maybe Atletico will be a hard sell in the US, but moving games involving those teams to the US will generate fan backlash. How are you going to sell tickets to Leganes vs. Espanyol or even Valencia vs. Villareal?

EPL games are an easier sell because the EPL has such a vast head start on marketing and exposure. Huddersfield vs. Burnley would be a hard sell, but there are quite a few teams with organized supporter groups here.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Ah, now we get some drama. We have season-three Mou in full force. What are the odds that Mou will still be in charge on Boxing Day? I rate it as a coin flip, mainly because there is no obvious successor.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

It may well be Mourinho's last season at Old Trafford, but I don't see a new manager coming in for us; maybe McKenna/Carrick will take over midseason. Really poor from the players and the lack of organization has to be attributed to Mourinho.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Giggs took the Wales job, right?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah. He's nowhere near experienced enough to take the reins at Cardiff let alone United.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

I just meant that he isn’t around to be an interim manager if Mou flames out. I don’t know whether he’ll turn out to be a good manager. If I were a Man U fan, I’d want the next manager to be someone who fits the club stylistically and not just another retread with a big name.

On a separate subject, I’m not sure that poor Huddersfield is going to get to to 15 points. They might even challenge Derby’s record of 11. They did manage to score against Man City, though. You probably could have gotten decent betting odds on that one.

I heard a pundit say that it may take Arsenal five years to rebuild after Wenger. I scoffed when I heard that, but on further reflection, he might have a point. Like LFC a few years back, Arsenal could end up in the purgatory of being a team with big expectations that is not a prime destination for transfer targets. However, I expect that the attraction of living in London will give Arsenal an advantage.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

I agree that Arsenal are further away than some people believe, but where I differ is that I don't think they'll be back up there anytime soon. I think to be long term great in football it takes a lot of investment in the team, and I don't see this ownership group doing it. I think top 4 realistically is their ceiling now, kinda like Tottenham in that the teams around them will always spend more.

Defo think it's time for Jose to leave Utd. This is what separates him from the greatest managers, he always ends up leaving on a sour note with the team and fans seemingly turning against him after 3 or so seasons. Utd should've tried to get Pep when they had the chance.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I just meant that he isn’t around to be an interim manager if Mou flames out. I don’t know whether he’ll turn out to be a good manager. If I were a Man U fan, I’d want the next manager to be someone who fits the club stylistically and not just another retread with a big name.

What about Zidane?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

What about Zidane?

There are already rumors about Zidane replacing Mou. There is also a story circulating that Man U plans to hire a technical director as a sort of intermediary between Mou and Woodward. GK may have more insight into this.

My reaction is that Zidane seems more like a future coach at Chelsea or PSG than a future coach at Man U. He just doesn't seem like the Man U type.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I agree that Arsenal are further away than some people believe, but where I differ is that I don't think they'll be back up there anytime soon. I think to be long term great in football it takes a lot of investment in the team, and I don't see this ownership group doing it. I think top 4 realistically is their ceiling now, kinda like Tottenham in that the teams around them will always spend more.

I've heard that the youth development program at Arsenal has not been doing as well as it once did. I'm not in a position to judge. The kid who broke his leg against Man City looked pretty good, so it can't be too bad.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Zidane seems more of a great man-manager than a tactician (not saying he isn't tactically inept - he's better than most); it seems like he'll do better with his hand-picked players rather than what we currently field on the first team. The L'equipe article penned by Vincent Duluc seems to have sent this speculation into overdrive. He's fairly reputable and seems like the sort of journalist that has the authentic sources to make this kind of claim.

Most fans would like to have Pochettino take the helm, but as we know he just signed a 5-year contract extension in the summer making any sort of realistic switch unlikely. I'd prefer Mourinho finish out the season before he gets the sack but who knows with Ed; he seemed very displeased with the display against BHA. If the form continues to dip, Jose could be looking at another layoff.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

<Sigh> Preseason can't start soon enough. (Lakers, that is)
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

The wheels are starting to fall off on Mourinho's season
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

I saw none of the game, but I see that Man U took 23 shots, but only 5 were on goal and none went in. That must have been a weird looking game.

Brighton has been the biggest surprise for me so far. After beating Man U, they arguably outplayed LFC and certainly deserved a point. On the other hand, Allison was worth the money.

How about them Hornets, tied on points with LFC, Chelsea, and Tottenham? Sir Elton must be pleased.

Meanwhile, the Hammers are starting to look like they might be playing Championship games in that monstrosity of a stadium next year. Too bad they tore down the Boleyn Ground.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Moses wrote:

I've heard that the youth development program at Arsenal has not been doing as well as it once did. I'm not in a position to judge. The kid who broke his leg against Man City looked pretty good, so it can't be too bad.

Lot of truth in this, but unfortunately it's the same in a lot of bigger teams these days. The expectations are so high they can't afford to play their own kids too much, and scouting networks are so deep that you find it harder to get diamonds in the rough.

They have Iwobi, Nelson & Bellerin, who are all ok, and they bought the young boy Guendouzi who looks good, but none are really elite prospects.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Tough draw.

GROUP A: Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Monaco, Club Brugge
GROUP B: FC Barcelona, Tottenham, Inter, PSV
GROUP C: PSG, Napoli, Liverpool, RS Belgrade
GROUP D: Locomotiv, Porto, Schalke, Galatasaray
GROUP E: Bayern Munich, Benfica, Ajax, AEK Athens
GROUP F: Man City, Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, Hoffenheim
GROUP G: Real Madrid, Roma, CSKA, Viktoria Plzen
GROUP H: Juventus, Man United, Valencia, Young Boys
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: