2020 Toyota Supra
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: 2020 Toyota Supra

what do you guys think?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12635049/2019-toyota-supra-what-we-know/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/02/14/leaked-toyota-supra-will-launched-three-engines/

I think the engine will be a BMW B58 engine the 4 cylinders will stay overseas. also I'm hoping we get the S55 engine.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

are they still expected to be offered @ a price range that starts below $50K?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

No way. expect to pay mid 60 for this car.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

a few months ago, I thought I read the projected price range would be $42K - $69K.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

If this is the case, I am not sure why anyone would opt for this car over a S4 or BMW 340.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Would prob rather the BMW version but glad they're bringing it back
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

the BMW version is the z4 that is a totally different car and class. my favorite supra is still the MK4 the interior and exterior of that car is just awesome.

but if Toyota puts in the s55 motor in the new Supra and they sell it for mid 50 to low 60 i would most likely opt for this car over any 2+2. This would be the most economical buy if you want a decent 2+2. the next step up is the GTR which starts at about 100K
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

If this is the case, I am not sure why anyone would opt for this car over a S4 or BMW 340.

What about C43 AMG? Thoughts?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
999 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

What about C43 AMG? Thoughts?

That's ok.. would rather have a infiniti q60 red sport
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

The more they keep hinting the car, whether it's the concept, the NASCAR version (unnecessary), any more recent renders, the more I lose interest.

Anything around $60k, and I'm getting a lightly used Cayman. Wouldn't even care if the Supra is faster.

I may even consider leasing an unreliable Giulia Ti and run with an extended warranty.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
22 wrote:

the BMW version is the z4 that is a totally different car and class. my favorite supra is still the MK4 the interior and exterior of that car is just awesome.

but if Toyota puts in the s55 motor in the new Supra and they sell it for mid 50 to low 60 i would most likely opt for this car over any 2+2. This would be the most economical buy if you want a decent 2+2. the next step up is the GTR which starts at about 100K

same platform, some common engines. If I was interested in either I'd opt for the BMW.

I'm not really hyped for the new Supra at all. From concepts and renders released the styling seems kinda bland. I'll wait for the official release and specs to see if it's something special
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Might end up like the new NSX. It was hyped up then it ended up being almost 2x the price of the old one and the styling was a disappointment. At least Toyota is keeping the budget in line with expectations, but I think the Gen IV Supra will be hard to live up to. For one the engine was heavy, but it could handle a lot of aftermarket mods. I don't think this new Supra engine will be able to do that since its based on BMW internals.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
999 wrote:
22 wrote:

same platform, some common engines. If I was interested in either I'd opt for the BMW.

I'm not really hyped for the new Supra at all. From concepts and renders released the styling seems kinda bland. I'll wait for the official release and specs to see if it's something special

its the same platform but the overall class of the car is different. the interior and the engine is what will sell people on this car. for it to be elite and stand out from the rest is that this car needs to have just one class. and it should be the s55 engine. If BMW makes a new performance B58 motor than that should replace the S55.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Had a Z4M Coupe about 10 years back and always wanted to get back in one again but the prices on them keep moving up. The Supra definitely has my interest. It's not quite a knockout but so far it's still more than enough to satisfy me lookswise. Add in Toyota reliability and I'm sold pending the price. I'm hoping it's not over 60...that puts it in range of a few M cars and the RCF. Doesn't make sense given it's "only" a Toyota.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Had a Z4M Coupe about 10 years back and always wanted to get back in one again but the prices on them keep moving up. The Supra definitely has my interest. It's not quite a knockout but so far it's still more than enough to satisfy me lookswise. Add in Toyota reliability and I'm sold pending the price. I'm hoping it's not over 60...that puts it in range of a few M cars and the RCF. Doesn't make sense given it's "only" a Toyota.

if you are looking for Toyota reliability than your in for a surprise. this car will have a BMW engine, BMW suspension, BMW electronics, a german or british transmission AND this car will be built in Germany.

if you want Toyota reliability without the Toyota nameplate than get yourself a Lotus Evora or something.

for those of you whom have a MK4. HOLD on to IT. or sell it to me
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

if you are looking for Toyota reliability than your in for a surprise. this car will have a BMW engine, BMW suspension, BMW electronics, a german or british transmission AND this car will be built in Germany.

if you want Toyota reliability without the Toyota nameplate than get yourself a Lotus Evora or something.

for those of you whom have a MK4. HOLD on to IT. or sell it to me

Oh wow, thought it was just the BMW engine.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

This new Supra is gonna fail and fail hard. There is not one good reason to buy this thing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
This new Supra is gonna fail and fail hard. There is not one good reason to buy this thing.

Well, if you want a modern Supra and don't want to pay collectors prices for a Gen IV Supra. There will be more buyers for this car than the new NSX thats for sure.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Do you really think the Supra looks better than the z4?

z4 VS Supra

Apart from the upcoming RAV4, I dislike the Toyota design language.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I actually think this car will be a success because it is being written off by too many already and we don't even know that much about it yet. Won't be a success on the sales charts but I think it will be for enthusiast.

I think the battle lines will be the typical Japanese vs. German car line in the sand.

If you like German cars, you wouldn't touch the Supra with a 10ft pole because of the badge anyway (even though it's a BMW on the inside). And I could see someone from the other perspective being skeptical about this car in other ways (long term reliability)

I wish there was a happy medium. I find Toyota's designs to be too daring and radical, but BMW to be on the bland side. I like Mercedes designs, but they don't drive like BMW's.

I believe this car will not be made inside of Germany, it will be manufactured by Magna Steyr in Austria.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
I actually think this car will be a success because it is being written off by too many already and we don't even know that much about it yet. Won't be a success on the sales charts but I think it will be for enthusiast.

I think the battle lines will be the typical Japanese vs. German car line in the sand.

If you like German cars, you wouldn't touch the Supra with a 10ft pole because of the badge anyway (even though it's a BMW on the inside). And I could see someone from the other perspective being skeptical about this car in other ways (long term reliability)

I wish there was a happy medium. I find Toyota's designs to be too daring and radical, but BMW to be on the bland side. I like Mercedes designs, but they don't drive like BMW's.

I believe this car will not be made inside of Germany, it will be manufactured by Magna Steyr in Austria.

I think the 4 cylinder model will be pretty successful compared to the base model of the gen IV Supra since its a turbo. Plus its 10k cheaper than the 6 cylinder model. Unlike the previous generation where the higher end model made for more mod options, the higher end model especially the engine won't be as friendly for tuners.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Even if the base price is sub 60k, won’t be getting them for that price thanks to dealer markups. If the car is a flop and doesn’t sell then only need to wait a few months or a model year for the ADMs to disappear.

I’m still reserving judgment till I see the final product, but there are soooo many good sport cars out rn for that price point
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Even if the base price is sub 60k, won’t be getting them for that price thanks to dealer markups. If the car is a flop and doesn’t sell then only need to wait a few months or a model year for the ADMs to disappear.

I’m still reserving judgment till I see the final product, but there are soooo many good sport cars out rn for that price point

This. Crazy.

Imo, it's going to be a crazy flop at 60K. Maybe niche buyers with money that want to relive the Supra era. At 60K, Toyota is shooting into neighborhoods Toyota doesn't normally play in. Maybe if they want to go ultra-lux and rebadge it as a Lexus. As I mentioned before, with the RC-F base going for 65K...under what scenario does a 60K Supra make sense? I only bring up the RC-F since it's under the Toyota umbrella. Expanded further and there are some iconic cars in this range. I'd personally with Mike's suggestion and get a lightly used Cayman S.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

I think the 4 cylinder model will be pretty successful compared to the base model of the gen IV Supra since its a turbo. Plus its 10k cheaper than the 6 cylinder model. Unlike the previous generation where the higher end model made for more mod options, the higher end model especially the engine won't be as friendly for tuners.

Agreed. There are so many rumors and "insiders" trying to tell us so many things. The rumored ~$40k base price for the 4cyl model will be a bargain if it delivers that price and comes in at ~3000 lbs.

As for the mid tier engine, its going to be interesting if this car gets the US spec S58 engine (should be more than the euro spec 340hp that has been so often quoted), or which engine it will even get. The main thing to watch for is weight. The Toyota supposedly weighs 300lbs. less than the BMW. If that is true, that is huge and makes the Toyota version much more attractive as a weekend car. But performance wise, that would undercut the Z4, so perhaps the Toyota version may have less power from the factory to compensate for that weight difference in regards to horsepower? Lots of unknowns, but I feel like the more people sleep on it, the more successful it may be.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Agreed. There are so many rumors and "insiders" trying to tell us so many things. The rumored ~$40k base price for the 4cyl model will be a bargain if it delivers that price and comes in at ~3000 lbs.

As for the mid tier engine, its going to be interesting if this car gets the US spec S58 engine (should be more than the euro spec 340hp that has been so often quoted), or which engine it will even get. The main thing to watch for is weight. The Toyota supposedly weighs 300lbs. less than the BMW. If that is true, that is huge and makes the Toyota version much more attractive as a weekend car. But performance wise, that would undercut the Z4, so perhaps the Toyota version may have less power from the factory to compensate for that weight difference in regards to horsepower? Lots of unknowns, but I feel like the more people sleep on it, the more successful it may be.

If the 4 cyl is 40K, there's no chance the 6cyl is coming in at 60K. No way. BMW usually pegs around 10K difference between those motors in the 2/3/4 series.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: