Urban Meyer Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Urban Meyer Thread

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258253/ohio-state-buckeyes-places-urban-meyer-administrative-leave

Quote:
Ohio State puts Urban Meyer on administrative leave
play

Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave Wednesday as the school announced it is investigating Courtney Smith's claims that several people close to the coach knew of a 2015 allegation of domestic violence against her ex-husband, former Ohio State assistant football coach Zach Smith, who was fired in July.

Offensive coordinator Ryan Day will be the team's acting head coach during the investigation.

"We are focused on supporting our players and on getting to the truth as expeditiously as possible," the school said in a statement.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Fired coach's ex: Some near Meyer knew of case
The ex-wife of fired Ohio State assistant Zach Smith says several people close to coach Urban Meyer, including his wife, knew in 2015 of a domestic violence allegation against Smith.

Courtney Smith told college football reporter Brett McMurphy her allegations in a story posted on his Facebook page earlier Wednesday.

"All the [coaches'] wives knew," Smith told McMurphy. "They all did. Every single one."

Smith told Stadium, a multi-platform sports network, that she believes that Meyer also knew at the time.

"I do believe he knew, and instead he chose to help the abuser and enable the abuser and believe whatever story Zach was telling everybody," Smith said.

Ohio State opens practice Friday.

"[Athletic director] Gene [Smith] and I agree that being on leave during this inquiry will facilitate its completion. This allows the team to conduct training camp with minimal distraction. I eagerly look forward to the resolution of this matter," Meyer said in a statement.

Shelley Meyer, Urban's wife and an instructor in Ohio State's College of Nursing, was among the coaches' wives who knew that Courtney Smith had reported a domestic violence incident in 2015, Courtney Smith said. Smith added that she was never told that Shelley Meyer had told her husband about the allegations at the time.

Smith also said that Hiram DeFries, who is the special assistant to the head coach at Ohio State and has been a confidant of Urban Meyer for years, told her in 2009 not to pursue charges against Zach Smith after an incident in Florida. Meyer was the Gators' head coach at the time; Smith was an intern on his staff.

"[DeFries] said, 'If you don't drop the charges, Zach will never coach again,'" Smith told McMurphy. "'He's never hit you before. He was drinking. He'll probably never do it again. You should think about giving him a second chance.'"

She did not press charges in 2009. Zach Smith was investigated in 2015 for suspicion of felony domestic violence after an incident that resulted in unspecified injuries and showed evidence of sustained abuse. In the Powell, Ohio, police report regarding that incident, Courtney Smith said she had been a victim of habitual domestic abuse. Cleveland.com on Wednesday identified nine reports from Powell police involving domestic disputes between the couple from 2012 to 2018.

Bradley Koffel, an attorney representing Zach Smith, told ESPN: "Zach Smith wants to be as transparent and honest as possible but it is not going to be done today through the media. It will only be after he and his ex-wife are sworn in to testify. Once he gets his chance to tell his side of events, don't be surprised when it is corroborated by every police who ever responded to Ms. Smith's calls."

The 2009 and 2015 accusations came to light last month, when Zach Smith was charged with criminal trespassing after dropping their children off at Courtney Smith's home, which led to his firing as wide receivers coach on July 23.

On July 25, Urban Meyer denied knowing that Zach Smith had been accused of domestic violence in 2015, saying at Big Ten media days that "I was never told about anything." Meyer said the decision to fire Smith was a "very tough call."

Koffel said Wednesday that Smith never informed Meyer about the criminal-trespass charge even after Koffel told Smith to do so.

"I now understand why Zach compartmentalized the info -- to protect Urban," Koffel said. "You cannot impute every family argument involving an employee and his wife to the CEO of a company or the head coach of a large football program."

Courtney Smith told McMurphy that Shelley Meyer knew about the 2009 and 2015 allegations and that they often discussed Zach Smith's abuse of her, including sharing pictures.

"Shelley said she was going to have to tell Urban," Courtney Smith said. "I said: 'That's fine, you should tell Urban.' I know Shelley did everything she could."

But in the Stadium interview, Courtney Smith said that Shelley Meyer never confirmed that she told her husband about the abuse.

"She did not. She did not," Courtney Smith said of Shelley Meyer. "She would reach out to me, ask me how I'm doing, tell me she was worried, if I needed anything, she was there."

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

If it turns out that the investigation proves that Meyer knew about the 2015 incident, in this climate, I just don't see how he keeps his job.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject:

honestly shocked that this is how Meyer may go out in Columbus. Never had any respect for the dude after the way he left Florida....retiring due to health reasons in January 2011....which just happened to be a after a couple years of non elite recruiting and an expected upcoming poor roster in 2011. He got out of his contract claiming his undisclosed health issues were life threatening. Ten months later...100% healthy and signing a big new deal with Ohio State....and those undisclosed life threatening health issues all magically went away.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
honestly shocked that this is how Meyer may go out in Columbus. Never had any respect for the dude after the way he left Florida....retiring due to health reasons in January 2011....which just happened to be a after a couple years of non elite recruiting and an expected upcoming poor roster in 2011. He got out of his contract claiming his undisclosed health issues were life threatening. Ten months later...100% healthy and signing a big new deal with Ohio State....and those undisclosed life threatening health issues all magically went away.

It was obviously BS that he was retiring for "health reasons" or to "be with his family." I just wasn't completely sure why he left Florida.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:

It was obviously BS that he was retiring for "health reasons" or to "be with his family." I just wasn't completely sure why he left Florida.

nor do I....have heard several rumors on why he "needed" to get out of Gainesville.....but none of them are really much more than barber shop talk as far as I know.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

He gone. And rightfully so, both he and his wife, are mandatory first reporters and both covered it up. He's a lying POS and deserves to be fired and be blacklisted from coaching.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

I dont understand why its the coach's fault? Shouldn't have the woman gone to the police when the first incident happened?

I'm sure I dont have all the facts but common sense would dictate reporting abuse to the authorities right away, no?

Why drag an innocent party into this?
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
I dont understand why its the coach's fault? Shouldn't have the woman gone to the police when the first incident happened?

I'm sure I dont have all the facts but common sense would dictate reporting abuse to the authorities right away, no?

He's at fault because he, and his wife, who also works for the University, are both mandatory reporters. The problem is not only did they not report it, they lied and tried to cover it up. If he would have followed the guidelines, as laid out in his contract, he would have reported it, the university handles it and he comes away looking for a new coach. Because he didn't and lied, he will now be out of a job, and most likely have a show cause placed on him, making him basically untouchable to any D1 school looking for a coach
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

He's at fault because he, and his wife, who also works for the University, are both mandatory reporters. The problem is not only did they not report it, they lied and tried to cover it up. If he would have followed the guidelines, as laid out in his contract, he would have reported it, the university handles it and he comes away looking for a new coach. Because he didn't and lied, he will now be out of a job, and most likely have a show cause placed on him, making him basically untouchable to any D1 school looking for a coach

why would he have a "show cause" placed on him? He has issues with his employer, not the NCAA. I am not aware of the NCAA governing any aspect of this case. This is 100% about Ohio State employee guidelines and the explicit language in his contract. Not a fan of the guy....but if he wants to coach again....he will coach again based on the facts that are known right now. If he does not want to coach....he will get fat checks from ESPN in a year or two. He did not put hands on anyone or neglect to report something related to students.....therefore I assume he will be forgiven much easier than if he had crossed those lines.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

why would he have a "show cause" placed on him? He has issues with his employer, not the NCAA. I am not aware of the NCAA governing any aspect of this case. This is 100% about Ohio State employee guidelines and the explicit language in his contract. Not a fan of the guy....but if he wants to coach again....he will coach again based on the facts that are known right now. If he does not want to coach....he will get fat checks from ESPN in a year or two. He did not put hands on anyone or neglect to report something related to students.....therefore I assume he will be forgiven much easier than if he had crossed those lines.

I still dont understand why the woman didnt call the police when the first incident happened? isn't that just like a common sense thing to do?

if I beat the crap out of my wife and tell my boss about it, it is now my boss's problem?

is this how it works?

Sorry i just dont get it.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

I still dont understand why the woman didnt call the police when the first incident happened? isn't that just like a common sense thing to do?

if I beat the crap out of my wife and tell my boss about it, it is now my boss's problem?

is this how it works?

if I understand correctly....she did in 2009...and he was arrested, but she later did not pursue charges, so he was not found guilty of any crime. I also think Meyer handled that incident properly by reporting it to Administration. The problem is that after that incident, Meyer and his wife sort of took on a counseling role with the young couple. Not sure how involved it became, or how long it lasted. The problem is that the wife's remained close, and in 2015 there were incidents communicated to the wife about continued abuse. The assumption is she communicated those to Meyer, and he did nothing, and even claimed they did not happen as far as he was aware. That is very unlikely since Meyer's wife even told the lady she would inform Meyer via text/email.

So the issue Meyer and his wife have as employees of Ohio State is that are required to report any incident that they are made aware of involving domestic abuse related to a student or Ohio State employee. Both Meyer and his wife are employed by the university and did not report. I get what you are saying about the cops....but I also understand that once Meyer and his wife stepped in as counselors...they kind of took some responsibility on themselves.

I am sure it is somewhat complicated on the ground....but not so much as his responsibility as an employee of Ohio State...that part is pretty explicit. Like I said....every incident can seem complicated if you involved, and while it is easy to judge actions on the outside, that is with the luxury of hindsight. I think the couple had at least one child.....did she want her husband and childs father to be arrested? Did she want the family to lose the income? there are 100 more of those questions.....but it is clear now that she holds resentment that Meyer and his wife did not take more action....and probably resentful towards her ex who she probably feels got away with abusive actions towards her....per her claims.

There may be a legitimate world where Meyer felt he was doing the right thing for his long time friend and his family. Right or wrong, that could actually be the truth.....but as someone in his position per employee guidelines and his contract....he does not have the option to decide when and when not to report.

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Huskers wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:

is this how it works?

if I understand correctly....she did in 2009...and he was arrested, but she later did not pursue charges, so he was not found guilty of any crime. I also think Meyer handled that incident properly by reporting it to Administration. The problem is that after that incident, Meyer and his wife sort of took on a counseling role with the young couple. Not sure how involved it became, or how long it lasted. The problem is that the wife's remained close, and in 2015 there were incidents communicated to the wife about continued abuse. The assumption is she communicated those to Meyer, and he did nothing, and even claimed they did not happen as far as he was aware. That is very unlikely since Meyer's wife even told the lady she would inform Meyer via text/email.

So the issue Meyer and his wife have as employees of Ohio State is that are required to report any incident that they are made aware of involving domestic abuse related to a student or Ohio State employee. Both Meyer and his wife are employed by the university and did not report. I get what you are saying about the cops....but I also understand that once Meyer and his wife stepped in as counselors...they kind of took some responsibility on themselves.

I am sure it is somewhat complicated on the ground....but not so much as his responsibility as an employee of Ohio State...that part is pretty explicit. Like I said....every incident can seem complicated if you involved, and while it is easy to judge actions on the outside, that is with the luxury of hindsight. I think the couple had at least one child.....did she want her husband and childs father to be arrested? Did she want the family to lose the income? there are 100 more of those questions.....but it is clear now that she holds resentment that Meyer and his wife did not take more action....and probably resentful towards her ex who she probably feels got away with abusive actions towards her....per her claims.

ugh horrible. feel bad for all involved except the dude who feels its OK to use his spouse as a punching bag. WTF?
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

You're right Adkindo, show cause is too harsh. It's not a NCAA violation. Domestic abuse hits close to home, and I have no respect for those who know and don't report it. I want the book thrown at Meyer, but this isn't a NCAA issue. That said, it's not just an Ohio State issue. This is a Title IX issue, a federal law, which makes him and his wife mandatory reporters of title IX abusers. The grey area is that since the wife wasn't a student or employee of the university, does she qualify under title IX and does spousal abuse fall under it as well? It typically covers discrimination and sexual abuse, I can't find if physical abuse is under its umbrella as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

“Believing he knew” is pretty weak. Placing him on leave is the correct action while they determine if there is any truth to the allegation.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
“Believing he knew” is pretty weak. Placing him on leave is the correct action while they determine if there is any truth to the allegation.

some like Rece Davis speculated that the "paid leave" is just cover for negotiating his exit terms......but that the decision has been made.

From the evidence they presented....if those texts are not proven to be doctored in some fashion, then we know his wife knew....and I am guessing if she knew, there is about a 99.999% he also knew. Does he have the pathological ability and pure lack of self respect that Rick Pitino displayed on multiple occasions to look in the camera and claim he didn't?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

I just don't see how he survives this. It was basically his dream job coaching at his alma mater. Ohio State went from a program that couldn't get over the hump to finally becoming a national power again. Unfortunately like his stint at Florida he surrounded himself with bad people that ultimately led to his downfall.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
He gone. And rightfully so, both he and his wife, are mandatory first reporters and both covered it up. He's a lying POS and deserves to be fired and be blacklisted from coaching.

He has always been dirty.

What went on at Florida under his watch is a disgrace.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Huskers wrote:

I think that is a valid description of most college sports
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Huskers wrote:

I think that is a valid description of most college sports

100% disagree...maybe some....maybe even many....but nowhere near most
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Huskers wrote:

what exactly are you referencing @ Florida?
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

I have to think that this is probably some kind of distraction from the wrestling team allegations against Jim Jordan and others. The wrestling team matter will likely be as bad as the Michigan State/US gymnastics scandal.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Urban Meyer says he didn't handle Zach Smith questions right

LINK

Quote:
Meyer said last week that he knew nothing about a 2015 complaint or any other domestic issues that Zach Smith had during the six years Meyer and Smith worked together at Ohio State.

Zach Smith's ex-wife said this week that she had shared texts with Meyer's wife detailing years of domestic violence. Courtney Smith said she was not sure if Urban Meyer knew about the allegations.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

very suspicious.....feels like the cover up will be to sacrifice someone above Meyer....likely Athletic Director Gene Smith. Now they have Zach Smith out there on the radio saying Gene Smith knew about 2015 allegations....typical Friday evening news blitz to muddy the waters and test a theory.....if it works, Meyer will probably be back with his team early next week. Meyer is the new Pitino.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
I have to think that this is probably some kind of distraction from the wrestling team allegations against Jim Jordan and others. The wrestling team matter will likely be as bad as the Michigan State/US gymnastics scandal.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Saw his profile on HBO's "Real Sports" program maybe less than a year ago. He had stress so bad it caused him to retire, but not so bad that it caused him to get a new job. Iirc he had an extremely fast heart rate while resting and chest pains and GI probs. I don't know if his meaning of "stress" is what others experience as anxiety (in clinical terms), but that's not usually something that magically recedes after a period of time. If I'm wrong, maybe Royce White will make it to the NBA after all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: