Rewind to last summer: Trade Dlo, Clarkson, and Randle to Indy for PG13?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I'm glad we got rid of the ones no longer here...

As for Paul George... We dodged a bullet. I admit that I didn't realize how mentally weak he is. After watching the 3rd part to his series; I came away feeling like he would have pissed us all off repeatedly with stupid comments and lackluster play.

George is a tailor made #2 guy with 3rd option tendencies.

So yeah... We're good.

Even before he turned us down. I wasn't sure PG13 could be the 2nd best player on a team that beats GS.
KobeIsTheOne
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

Yeah I saw the docuseries on PG. Nowhere did he say he didn’t want to come to L.A.... he said he wanted to come last year, but that the Lakers didn’t trade for him. Those are just facts.

““It’s been very stressful. It has not been an easy decision. I 100 percent appreciate Laker Nation for wanting me to come back home, for wanting to play in front of them.

”I wanted to come here a year ago prior to going to OKC. Unfortunately, I wasn’t traded to the Lakers. The Lakers didn’t grab me. I was traded to Oklahoma.”

He obviously can’t publicly say “I’m not going to the Lakers because it’s going to be all about LeBron now”, but I sincerely believe that had we not signed LBJ, he’d be a Laker today. When it became imminent that James was coming here, he didn’t want to make it seem like it was a reaction to what LeBron did, and got the jump by announcing his move first. But make no mistake, he knew LeBron to L.A. was a done deal.

PG wanted to be a part of building something special, with the Lakers young core, not the traveling circus that we are going to be now. He was put in a no-win situation when we got LeBron bc he knew that LeBron would get all the credit if we won, but he (George) would get all of the blame if we didn't.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-130129/daily-dime

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-thinks-neo-matrix-could-ve-best-174850191--nba.html
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

Indiana wanted Ingram and/or the #2 pick.
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
““It’s been very stressful. It has not been an easy decision. I 100 percent appreciate Laker Nation for wanting me to come back home, for wanting to play in front of them.

”I wanted to come here a year ago prior to going to OKC. Unfortunately, I wasn’t traded to the Lakers. The Lakers didn’t grab me. I was traded to Oklahoma.”

That ain't PG, that's his agent.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject:

And deng
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

LakerInToronto wrote:
Nope.

PG's quote that the "Lakers didn't get him" when he wanted to go there shows that at his core he doesn't actually care about winning. Us holding out the year to keep our assets to be stronger if he signed was doing him a favour.

That he can't see that and prefers OKC right now just proves that he's comfortable as long as he's paid, liked, and has no pressure on him. AKA the opposite of a Laker.

Didn't he suggest we don't gut the team for him, that if we waited, we could keep the team intact and still sign him?
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
In retrospect it’s even clearer to me that he wasn’t worth any assets. He CHOSE to be 2nd fiddle in a middle of nowhere with a franchise that hasn’t and won’t win anything because he made a friend there? Lol.

No way he could have survived here in the big city with Lebron and the lights and the media and the expectations. In the closeout game vs the jazz what was he like 2-16 with 5 points and 6 turnovers? That’s him...soft.

To me Kuzma has the potential to be better and is not a punk, plus we offloaded the Mosgov contract...so no, I think we all got blinded by possibly improving our squad that has been awful recently, but I honestly don’t think he’s the man for the job. Kawhi might not be either TBQH.

That's the thing about George. He was THE guy with a good team in Indiana, but decided to play second fiddle not to the best player in the league, but a top 10 guy in okc with very little resources for the team to improve, a fat luxury tax bill coming due, and an ownership that will most likely ship out other good players to not continue to pay that luxury tax. PG is basically stuck in basketball purgatory when he had the chance to escape. Presti must be one helluva salesman because I don't know what he pitched to PG to make him want to stay. Or maybe he's just easily manipulated by his agent and torn by the loyalty he had towards RW and okc taking a chance on him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
Yeah I saw the docuseries on PG. Nowhere did he say he didn’t want to come to L.A.... he said he wanted to come last year, but that the Lakers didn’t trade for him. Those are just facts.

He obviously can’t publicly say “I’m not going to the Lakers because it’s going to be all about LeBron now”, but I sincerely believe that had we not signed LBJ, he’d be a Laker today. When it became imminent that James was coming here, he didn’t want to make it seem like it was a reaction to what LeBron did, and got the jump by announcing his move first. But make no mistake, he knew LeBron to L.A. was a done deal.

PG wanted to be a part of building something special, with the Lakers young core, not the traveling circus that we are going to be now. He was put in a no-win situation when we got LeBron bc he knew that LeBron would get all the credit if we won, but he (George) would get all of the blame if we didn't.

We'd probably have to trade BI/Lonzo to get PG b/c Indy was getting petty and personal with this.

How does it make any sense to give all that up for a guy who isn't enough to take a team past Utah in the 1st round?

I've come to find out PG13 is a very complex person. I really wanted him here but it is what it is.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

Dude, it's over and you can't change the past. It no longer matters at this point.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Indiana wanted Ingram and/or the #2 pick.

And I would have given them one
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
In retrospect it’s even clearer to me that he wasn’t worth any assets. He CHOSE to be 2nd fiddle in a middle of nowhere with a franchise that hasn’t and won’t win anything because he made a friend there? Lol.

No way he could have survived here in the big city with Lebron and the lights and the media and the expectations. In the closeout game vs the jazz what was he like 2-16 with 5 points and 6 turnovers? That’s him...soft.

To me Kuzma has the potential to be better and is not a punk, plus we offloaded the Mosgov contract...so no, I think we all got blinded by possibly improving our squad that has been awful recently, but I honestly don’t think he’s the man for the job. Kawhi might not be either TBQH.

That's the thing about George. He was THE guy with a good team in Indiana, but decided to play second fiddle not to the best player in the league, but a top 10 guy in okc with very little resources for the team to improve, a fat luxury tax bill coming due, and an ownership that will most likely ship out other good players to not continue to pay that luxury tax. PG is basically stuck in basketball purgatory when he had the chance to escape. Presti must be one helluva salesman because I don't know what he pitched to PG to make him want to stay. Or maybe he's just easily manipulated by his agent and torn by the loyalty he had towards RW and okc taking a chance on him.

Or maybe he just wasn’t interested in joining this Laker team.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:

what a A-hole. Kobe fan Laker hater!!!
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

I believe that he didn't want to play with Lebron. Not sure I can really tell you why he doesn't. I can tell you that it is a weak reason. I believe he stayed in OKC to save face.

I suspect that Lebron didn't really believe he would help us that much here and had other guys in mind, Magic listened and said, OK Lebron, that seems good.

I also suspect that they have an idea on who they will get next year and realized it would be a better result than signing PG13 now.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject:

When it came down to it, PG13 couldn't pull the trigger to come here. The trade premise of course looks good now, we let all those guys go anyway. But the front office has steadily turned the team around, got rid of two terrible contracts, brought in the game's best player, and still kept a fair amount of the young players. We still have another season to go, and then we will see if we can shake lose another star player, and see if one of the young players rises to good starter level.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I believe that he didn't want to play with Lebron. Not sure I can really tell you why he doesn't. I can tell you that it is a weak reason. I believe he stayed in OKC to save face.

I suspect that Lebron didn't really believe he would help us that much here and had other guys in mind, Magic listened and said, OK Lebron, that seems good.

I also suspect that they have an idea on who they will get next year and realized it would be a better result than signing PG13 now.

If Lebron thought that then he is an idiot. George would help us a lot. And Magic fawned over George, there is no way he decided he didn’t want him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: