LiAngelo Ball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lakers set to workout LiAngelo Ball. Where will he end up playing next season?
Lakers
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Another NBA team
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
South Bay Lakers (G-League)
36%
 36%  [ 48 ]
Europe
29%
 29%  [ 39 ]
Drew League
24%
 24%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 133

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Report: Lakers to pass on LiAngelo Ball

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lakers-pass-liangelo-ball-185407325--spt.html
Good. We don't want that L.

It really doesn't make sense for the Lakers to put him on their g-league team unless he's significantly more promising than another candidate.

All things being equal, you'd rather not have the Ball-family headaches that come with him.

But that's his double-edged sword: The Ball-family thing is the only reason he's getting attention in the first place, but it also makes him less desirable than someone without that spotlight.
wrong.

the guy lead california in scoring 1 year ago. that is the reason he's getting a look. the kid can play basketball at a high level. now can he play at the highest level? ehhhh we dont know about that yet.

you guys keep trying to disrespect him as if he didnt have his own legit resume as a high school standout in basketball. he's only 1 year removed from chino hills.

the problem with gelo is that he doesnt LOOK like much. meaning, with his actual on the court abilities playing 5 v 5 in real games. he's a very good basketball player. but in a workout, in some type of drill setup. i would pass up on him every single time. because he's not a super quick guy, he's not fast, he doesnt jump the highest, he can shoot well but not a can't miss guy in practice drills. So this to me is why he will probably fall short in getting a team to bite this year.

He's going to have to play in the G league or the real high level euro league to get in and he's going to have to be the same Gelo he's always been in those leagues. meaning he scores a lot of points and makes his 3's.

well you cant just throw that out there that he was the leading california scoring without including the huge disclaimer that his dad basically controlled that team and made sure he got as many shots as possible
actually I can leave that out there. you know why? he's not the only superstar player from california or some other school where the parents are heavily involved and in some cases controlling the coach or coaching the team. lavar is not the first person to do what he has done at the high school or AAU level. its par for the course if you have even one family member that is serious about the sport. usually these kids have just their mom around who usually was not into sports like that. so they let the coach handle everything to a point. but if you have the father in the kids life for real or an uncle or some older step dad or some big brother thats super close but old enough. they are going to control things because if not, these high schools/coaches will.

And there are some not so good players that have had their dad coaching and they never drop 30 ppg. there's no way you can just write that off as a fluke. it's not. If they were losing doing it all the time I would agree with you. but they were having winning records playing the way they were playing with gelo putting up the numbers.

again, just go pull up one of the longer youtube highlights of gelo showing him in highschool and showing you the different ways he scored. the guy was 6'5 as a senior i believe, and he was big as hell and super strong. he's probably stronger than 90% of all players in the country. just on the fact that you dont see guys built like him playing basketball unless they end up being 6'10+. Like some hear have said. gelo should've played football like his pops. lol. I've said this before on here. I went to school with his uncles. they were both big strong dudes who worked out because big brother lavar had them on the weights at an early age. their dad was also on the weights and was a big guy back then too. they were putting up the numbers back then as well. but neither of them were all in on hoop like that. I think they played just to have something to do and they were good at it. i dont think they love it like these young balls do(zo, gelo, and melo.) all of us other normal sized ballers use to mess with them about not just getting mad on the court and throwing their weight around. Gelo throws his weight around a lot when you watch his high school clips. he's just not athletic enough to drop step and dunk on everyone. but he's shedding guys off with his shoulders and hips and putting the ball in the basket. something he could do to nba players at the sg spot since most of them have never in life had to defend someone at their spot in the post. and he can shoot very well and he already has a pretty quick release and has range at and beyond the nba 3pt line.

he's not all that. but he aint no where near as bad as some of you are making him out to be. the dude is still better than most people playing basketball even with his lack of athleticism. he knows how to play for real and has been doing so for a very long time putting up the numbers.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I'm guessing it must suck living in the shadow of his two brothers and his dad. Probably just wind up stealing stuff just for the attention.

On the Lakers end, if they are seriously passing on him already it could mean that he isn't good enough, it could be a message to his dad, or a combination of both.
Or its a neither message. sorry bro, we dont need YOUR services.

Dont make up a narrative for why they wouldnt choose him outside of the normal reasons why most guys dont get chosen to become lakers. a lot of these guys are nba level players, even if it's edge of the bench 10th men. But the lakers can still say no, we'll pass. because they are looking for a different type of athlete or a different type of player. but you should check all sources before you make your final decision. like i said. gelo got a laker look because he does have the same dna as zo. meaning does he know the game like his brother? maybe, does he have his brother's iq, athleticism(no), handles(not really). but unlike his brother, he's more of a scorer and shooter. and because he had a very good high school resume and the lakers are in los angeles, CA you have to take a look at someone who lead the state in scoring. if you find out he aint all that so be it. but you better at worse check him out. thats why i like our front office. no stone un turned.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
LiAngelo may have to head back overseas to hone his basketball skills. He had a decent stint with Prienu Vytautas in Lithuania. Other than that his career options as a professional basketball player are very limited especially with LaVar tagging along.
it has little to do with lavar even though it seems as if you guys want to make it primarly about lavar. if Gelo was as athletic as lonzo but played more as a scorer. he would be getting drafted in the 2nd round at worse in this current nba draft. and nothing about his dad would stop that from occurring. his dad talks but nothing more. it aint that serious. let it go lgers. lol. Gelo does need to build up his basketball resume as an adult. since he didnt finish the college route. if he trully wants to play in the nba. he's going to have to play in the G league for a while (if drafted), or overseas in good leagues for a few years to get a real look nba look.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
pio2u wrote:
LiAngelo may have to head back overseas to hone his basketball skills. He had a decent stint with Prienu Vytautas in Lithuania. Other than that his career options as a professional basketball player are very limited especially with LaVar tagging along.
it has little to do with lavar even though it seems as if you guys want to make it primarly about lavar. if Gelo was as athletic as lonzo but played more as a scorer. he would be getting drafted in the 2nd round at worse in this current nba draft. and nothing about his dad would stop that from occurring. his dad talks but nothing more. it aint that serious. let it go lgers. lol. Gelo does need to build up his basketball resume as an adult. since he didnt finish the college route. if he trully wants to play in the nba. he's going to have to play in the G league for a while (if drafted), or overseas in good leagues for a few years to get a real look nba look.

IF Gelo is worth it, someone will pick him up. But all things being equal,
no one wants a guy that's not an NBA talent and with the added
caveat that his dad is a royal pain; not worth the gamble..
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Drew league!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

I think he lands a g league deal
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

because you feel he is good enough or for other reasons?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:

I think he can shoot.
And I think he has a chance to land a G contract. Not necessarily with the Lakers.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:

I think he can shoot.
And I think he has a chance to land a G contract. Not necessarily with the Lakers.

Collin Sexton agrees with you.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/04/colin-sexton-liangelo-ball-nba-draft/
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:

I think he can shoot.

Collin Sexton agrees with you.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/04/colin-sexton-liangelo-ball-nba-draft/

Cool.
pokoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

So this is what the Ball bros have been reduced to..?

Feel sorry for Lonzo and KCP having to sit through this mess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd heard his specialty is stealing (the ball).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject:

^ the no d league
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Prior to Lithuania stint and JBA, was LaMelo an actual NBA prospect? Like fringe 1st or 2nd rounder? I remember reading a little bit about that. Pretty sad that Lavar would kill what could have been an NBA career over his bizarro ripoff league.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
So this is what the Ball bros have been reduced to..?

Feel sorry for Lonzo and KCP having to sit through this mess.

I wonder how much Lavar promised to these guys to serve as glorified cardboard cutouts to make his son look good.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Prior to Lithuania stint and JBA, was LaMelo an actual NBA prospect? Like fringe 1st or 2nd rounder? I remember reading a little bit about that. Pretty sad that Lavar would kill what could have been an NBA career over his bizarro ripoff league.

he was projected to be a Top #10 or #20 prospect in the 2019 class....I would bet he never plays a minute in the NBA. Lonzo was so lucky to escape before Lavar began to destroy his sons future basketball careers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

he was projected to be a Top #10 or #20 prospect in the 2019 class....I would bet he never plays a minute in the NBA. Lonzo was so lucky to escape before Lavar began to destroy his sons future basketball careers.

He wasn’t projected to be an NBA player at all. He was just a 3 star recruit out of high school; not even a 4 or 5 star recruit. Just making the starting lineup at UCLA would have been a major challenge for him and some thought he wasn’t good enough to be at UCLA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

He wasn’t projected to be an NBA player at all. He was just a 3 star recruit out of high school; not even a 4 or 5 star recruit. Just making the starting lineup at UCLA would have been a major challenge for him and some thought he wasn’t good enough to be at UCLA.

LaMelo was a 5 Star recruit in the class of 2019.....I assume your referring to LiAngelo.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject:

Yes I was talking about Gelo, not Melo. I’m not sure why I assumed people were talking about Gelo.

As for Melo, he takes so many ridiculous shots that I even wonder if he would have been on the bench at UCLA. He seems really dumb. He would have needed to grow up to do well at UCLA. His dad still really hurt his chances though.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

yep Gelo never had a realistic shot but depending on how well Lonzo becomes he likely would have gotten atleast a camp invite somewhere as the brother of a NBA All Star. That never happens now since no team would extend a favor like this to their family due to how Lavar behaves.

And Lavar is quickly killing Melo's chances too. Instead of being properly trained he has him just jacking up jumpshots against no defense competition as if scouts will care about him scoring 70pts on 30% shooting in a circus league.

Finally with Lonzo... as we already seen some teams already have little interest in him as a trade piece mostly due to Lavar. If he some how flames out he can find himself out the league even if he is still good enough to atleast be a backup PG.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

And Lavar is quickly killing Melo's chances too. Instead of being properly trained he has him just jacking up jumpshots against no defense competition as if scouts will care about him scoring 70pts on 30% shooting in a circus league.

Spot on. Something the BBB-stans don't seem to get.

JBA is an absolute (bleep) joke, scouts don't give two (bleep) about Gelo and Melo tossing up statpadded triple doubles.

audioaxes wrote:

Finally with Lonzo... as we already seen some teams already have little interest in him as a trade piece mostly due to Lavar. If he some how flames out he can find himself out the league even if he is still good enough to atleast be a backup PG.

He left his surgery late when he should have had it prior to the season ending, now this offseason is a wash and he didn't work on his skills coming into training camp.

No improvement going into the next season.

DMO is a washed up clown training this guy.
ThereIsNoSpork
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/treyzingis/status/1020150433355091969

Gelo 48pts on 19-54 shooting lol
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

ThereIsNoSpork wrote:
https://twitter.com/treyzingis/status/1020150433355091969

Gelo 48pts on 19-54 shooting lol

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:

That's what I thought... bummer. LaMelo's wasting a lot of needed development time with this JBA crap. He could have been a 1st rounder
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Didn't LaVar say that of the three that Liangelo was the one he saw that may not make the league?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: